DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   Most disappointing streaming channels? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/629883-most-disappointing-streaming-channels.html)

dvd-4-life 12-08-15 07:12 AM

Most disappointing streaming channels?

CBS All-Access(Roku). I'm watching Perry Mason season 2 and they don't even have all the episodes. Plus once in awhile it starts with a commercial when they said the classic shows wouldn't have commericals. I will be dropping the channel in the near future.

NFL Game Pass(Roku). Says on the website all the games since the 2009 season. On Roku Channel it's only the current season. Plus NFL Now(which previously had tons of NFL Films including my all-time favorite NFL Yearbook) is just short clips and highlights from current season. I will only keep it since I like watching current season replays. Plus another thing-online they have the radio broadcasts(which the Roku channel doesn't include). MLB.TV(Roku) has the radio broadcasts so I don't see why they can't.

WWE Network(Roku)-Up until about a week ago they had a very slim selection when it came too their Vault. However, lately they have increased the volume(they just pulled Stampede Wrestling because of right's issues with Bret Hart) and hopefully it continues. Been waiting for almost 2 years for more Vault programming. I would rather see an increase in streaming house shows and a decrease in PPVs(only need 4 per year with a max of 6).

TheBigDave 12-08-15 08:40 AM

Re: Most disappointing streaming channels?

Warner Archive is easily the most disappointing streaming service. $10 a month. Less than 250 movies. With their catalog, they could develop an awesome streaming service. It's a shame.

RichC2 12-08-15 08:55 AM

I'm hoping the failure of Warner Archive will convince them to sell more content to Netflix, Hulu or Amazon.

dvd-4-life 12-08-15 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 12665053)
Warner Archive is easily the most disappointing streaming service. $10 a month. Less than 250 movies. With their catalog, they could develop an awesome streaming service. It's a shame.

They have always had their bottom of the barrel(as far as movies are concern).

printerati 12-10-15 10:09 AM

From a usability standpoint, the Yahoo! Screen Roku channel was quite terrible. I have only used it a handful of times (for Other Space and the NFL game earlier this season), so perhaps there have been improvements made in the past few weeks/months that I am unaware of.

Alan Smithee 12-11-15 02:13 AM

There's TONS of disappointing ones, but CinemaNow, being one of the competing first-run movie services, is laughably awful. The interface is so slow that it's just about unusable (it takes at least a minute for it to bring up my Ultraviolet library after I tell it to) and they don't even have 5.1 sound anymore! (They claim to have switched to DTS from Dolby Digital, but I haven't seen a single device that supports that and every comment online I've seen assumes that they've just dropped it entirely.) I got a coupon for 2 (or so, could be more) free rentals on that which I don't think I'll even bother using. I still have a $10 Target Ticket credit that carried over (THAT was pretty awful too!) and I'm waiting til I can find a movie I want for sale under that amount, just so it'll port over to Vudu and MGo which actually work!

I still haven't tried Warner Archive, I keep meaning to when I have days free with nothing else to do so I can watch every movie on it that interests me and then decide whether or not to keep it.

dvd-4-life 12-11-15 04:16 AM

Another one:

YouTube Channel(Roku). Search engine is 100 percent useless. They could make it so much easier too hook up my YouTube Channel from my laptop to my Roku device so I wouldn't have too keep sending code's from one too the other(unless there is an easier way of doing things). All I know,if the search engine worked as well as Netflix/Hulu that would be a big plus. Daily Motion has a much more acceptable search engine,also.

rduncan 12-11-15 01:43 PM

Anything from AdRise. Multiple Roku channels but probably TubiTv or similar. Excessive amount of ads plus they don't even follow the natural breaks of the original programming. After attempting to watch something (yes it was free so I accept ads in general) they played the same M&M'S I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That), 5 times in a row before returning to the show. I thought something was wrong with my Roku or something and just kept repeating. Nope has happened for different advertisers on different shows but so far not the 5 times. Sorry rant mode off.

Rick

DJariya 12-11-15 01:55 PM

There's a lot of garbage streaming channels on the Roku. Many are flooded with ads.

As mentioned, Yahoo screen definitely sucks. It looked like they put no money into that channel. No wonder Yahoo lost money picking up Community.

Another one that sucks is B-Movie TV. It's a live streaming channel with various B movies. You literally cannot control the interface and have to subject yourself to a super long intro. It's like watching a really cheap looking live channel.

RichC2 12-11-15 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life (Post 12668467)
Another one:

YouTube Channel(Roku). Search engine is 100 percent useless. They could make it so much easier too hook up my YouTube Channel from my laptop to my Roku device so I wouldn't have too keep sending code's from one too the other(unless there is an easier way of doing things). All I know,if the search engine worked as well as Netflix/Hulu that would be a big plus. Daily Motion has a much more acceptable search engine,also.

You can cast from your laptop or phone to Roku 3's version of YouTube, not sure about earlier ones.

The YouTube app search engine sucks on all platforms, including its website -- just too much content. I generally have to use Google to search for what I'm looking for.