Reload this Page >

Roku SE - New Limited Edition Model priced at $25

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Roku SE - New Limited Edition Model priced at $25

Old 11-28-15, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Roku SE - New Limited Edition Model priced at $25

I grabbed an SE because I've been having a problem with my Roku 1 for the past few months- it's been glitching, for lack of a better word, on any HD-quality video from almost any source. Someone else who's seen it happen described it as a "Max Headroom" effect- the audio will continue normally but for a split-second you will see the picture jump either back or ahead a few frames- it's one of those "blink and you'll miss it" things but it happens often enough that I noticed it and it now annoys the hell out of me. It does NOT do it on standard-def video. I was able to send my first Roku 1 back and get a new one, but the replacement had the same problem.

Turns out the SE is STILL doing this. I brought my other Roku to other people's homes and the problem still happened there, so I know the problem does not lie with my equipment or internet service. The only other thing I can think of, aside from EVERY Roku 1 and SE out there having this problem, is that I had about 350 channels on my account (it took the new unit about an hour to load them all upon installation) and somehow that was too many for it to handle. As it's very cumbersome to delete a lot of channels at once, I tried resetting the SE back to thinking it was a new unit, and then re-activating it with a new Roku account and putting JUST Netflix on it and nothing else, but the problem is STILL there. Has anyone else noticed this problem? I've emailed Roku (in the US, not India where their regular customer service is) and someone claimed to have looked into it but could not reproduce the problem on their end- of course it's possible it happened and they just didn't notice it.
Old 11-28-15, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 132 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I had about 350 channels on my account (it took the new unit about an hour to load them all upon installation) and somehow that was too many for it to handle.

How much free storage space is left, if any? It wouldn't surprise me one bit if your performance issues stem from little to no available storage, same as any other computer or device. You should consider moving up to one of the models that offer microSD expansion for channel storage.
Old 11-28-15, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Old Netflix interface? Godammit. Ah well, I just needed one for the Bedroom.
Old 11-28-15, 04:18 PM

How much free storage space is left, if any? It wouldn't surprise me one bit if your performance issues stem from little to no available storage, same as any other computer or device. You should consider moving up to one of the models that offer microSD expansion for channel storage.
I don't think the unit itself has a limit of how many channels you can have on it- I've noticed that it only keeps ones you've recently used in memory; if I bring up one that I haven't used in a long time it will take a few seconds to "load" the channel, showing the spinning wheel with the % on it. But I cleared the unit and put JUST Netflix and NOTHING else on it, and it's STILL having that problem. I have a Roku Stick also, but Netflix is unusable on that because of the breaking into the end credits. Vudu and such have worked great on that.
Old 12-02-15, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Back in stock at Best Buy.
Gone again .
Old 12-02-15, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think the unit itself has a limit of how many channels you can have on it- I've noticed that it only keeps ones you've recently used in memory; if I bring up one that I haven't used in a long time it will take a few seconds to "load" the channel, showing the spinning wheel with the % on it. But I cleared the unit and put JUST Netflix and NOTHING else on it, and it's STILL having that problem. I have a Roku Stick also, but Netflix is unusable on that because of the breaking into the end credits. Vudu and such have worked great on that.
So the Roku Stick has the newer version of Netflix? I'm going to have to grab one of those.

I have two of these coming in but I'm bummed it's the older Netflix.
Old 12-03-15, 12:04 AM

So you like having the endings of movies ruined?
Old 12-03-15, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not a big "sit through the credits" person, so it doesn't ruin anything for me at all. Plus if there are scenes during the credits, I just re-enlarge the screen and let them run.

That and I primarily use Netflix for TV shows.
Old 12-03-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Yeah, it's not that hard to re-enlarge the credits window if I want to watch the credits. The thing I hate about NuNetflix is the auto-start when I want to look at the movie/tv show description. I wish Netflix would have simple option settings where I could choose to have the auto-start or minimizing.
Old 12-03-15, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the auto-start function is a tad odd, it's disorienting while trying to select episodes.
Old 12-04-15, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Yeah, it's not that hard to re-enlarge the credits window if I want to watch the credits.
That's what people are whining about? That netflix shrinks the credits?
Old 12-04-15, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,188 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Old Netflix interface? Godammit. Ah well, I just needed one for the Bedroom.
Yeah, I've gotten used to the new interface and my smart TV's Netflix app works flawlessly. It seems weird seeing the old interface again, but my new Roku is destined for the bedroom too, so I'll survive.
Old 12-05-15, 06:29 PM

It's part of the movie- and many times the screen shrinks even when something's still going on. Hitting a button to bring them back is still unacceptable as you're already taken out of the movie by then. Some jerk actually wrote a program to do this automatically: http://techblog.netflix.com/2015/04/...tion-from.html

If that gets forced onto every Netflix device then I'll be done with them. If you have such a short attention span that you can't stand watching credits, you can hit a button yourself to stop them.
Old 12-08-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
Along with often times auto-starting the next movie, cutting off the credits completely. I can see the point in that the people who are upset about it just want it to be optional.

Netflix just doesn't give a fuck about them, and they don't give a fuck about me not liking the auto-start when viewing the description.
Old 12-08-15, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Along with often times auto-starting the next movie, cutting off the credits completely. I can see the point in that the people who are upset about it just want it to be optional.

Netflix just doesn't give a fuck about them, and they don't give a fuck about me not liking the auto-start when viewing the description.
You can stop the timer (Playback Settings -> Preferences -> uncheck Play next episode automatically), but for now auto-start is stuck there.
Old 12-08-15, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
You can stop the timer (Playback Settings -> Preferences -> uncheck Play next episode automatically), but for now auto-start is stuck there.
Is that on every device individually, on the website for all devices, or for the website only? Does it still minimize the window at the end of a movie or tv show?

I don't really need to disable it, but I would like to tell others about it.
Old 12-08-15, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Website for all devices (profile specific), it still minimized when I tried it a couple years ago, I don't know if that has changed.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-08-15 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-09-15, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's part of the movie- and many times the screen shrinks even when something's still going on. Hitting a button to bring them back is still unacceptable as you're already taken out of the movie by then. Some jerk actually wrote a program to do this automatically: http://techblog.netflix.com/2015/04/...tion-from.html

If that gets forced onto every Netflix device then I'll be done with them. If you have such a short attention span that you can't stand watching credits, you can hit a button yourself to stop them.
I would be very surprised if the vast majority of Netflix users couldn't care less about the credits. Obviously they are appealing to the majority of their users. On top of that, if someone does actually want to sit through the credits they can hit a button and keep them going.
Old 12-11-15, 01:54 AM

On top of that, if someone does actually want to sit through the credits they can hit a button and keep them going.
You have to hit TWO buttons actually, and by then the mood of the ending is already ruined. For me the end credits are a time to "decompress" from a movie that's hit me really hard, and having the picture shrink like that is the same thing as if someone were to run into a theater and say "THE MOVIE'S OVER, EVERYONE LEAVE NOW!" (Speaking of which, my friend STILL remembers seeing "Alien" during its first run and having an usher open an Exit door, flooding the theater with sunlight as the credits began and shouted "PLEASE EXIT THROUGH THE SIDE DOORS!")

The new Netflix interface is an abomination- and if you don't touch the remote at all, then the movie will just play to the end in the window as the menu stays on the screen forever- what good does that do ANYBODY? They should have the screen do that only when you hit a button during any point in the movie. The Chromecast actually has the most "dignified" ending to Netflix movies now, as it doesn't overlay any displays during playback and goes to a scenic still-picture after something ends. The overall interface there is still a bit awkward even though I have a smartphone now, but I'll take that over something telling me to hurry up and watch something else before my movie is even completely over.

I would be very surprised if the vast majority of Netflix users couldn't care less about the credits.
I'm sure there have been entire movies on Netflix that the vast majority of users couldn't care less about- if I watch one of those, should the screen automatically tell me "Hey, this movie sucks! Go watch something cool instead!"
Old 12-11-15, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I love the post-play features (cutting off the credits, continuing on to something else) but hate the auto-play feature you mention.

Also, since I assume you already have "Auto-play Next Episode" disabled, what is the behavior with that now on the newer Netflix?
Old 12-11-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You have to hit TWO buttons actually, and by then the mood of the ending is already ruined. For me the end credits are a time to "decompress" from a movie that's hit me really hard, and having the picture shrink like that is the same thing as if someone were to run into a theater and say "THE MOVIE'S OVER, EVERYONE LEAVE NOW!" (Speaking of which, my friend STILL remembers seeing "Alien" during its first run and having an usher open an Exit door, flooding the theater with sunlight as the credits began and shouted "PLEASE EXIT THROUGH THE SIDE DOORS!")

The new Netflix interface is an abomination- and if you don't touch the remote at all, then the movie will just play to the end in the window as the menu stays on the screen forever- what good does that do ANYBODY? They should have the screen do that only when you hit a button during any point in the movie. The Chromecast actually has the most "dignified" ending to Netflix movies now, as it doesn't overlay any displays during playback and goes to a scenic still-picture after something ends. The overall interface there is still a bit awkward even though I have a smartphone now, but I'll take that over something telling me to hurry up and watch something else before my movie is even completely over.
If two buttons is too much for you to handle, perhaps you just shouldn't use Netflix. Escpecially since it is such an "abomination".

I'm sure there have been entire movies on Netflix that the vast majority of users couldn't care less about- if I watch one of those, should the screen automatically tell me "Hey, this movie sucks! Go watch something cool instead!"
Good job missing the point. If the vast majority of users don't care about the credits, and it is almost every netflix user, why wouldn't netflix use that time to try to get people into another program? Broadcast networks have been doing that for years. In fact they still do it. The simple fact is that people dont care about the credits. Netflix knows this. They are in the business of giving their customers what they want. On top of that, they make it so simple to get back to the credits, that most monkeys could handle it. Yet people still bitch and moan.
Old 12-11-15, 04:57 PM

Good job missing the point.
Uh, good job missing MY point- if you don't understand how the moment before the credits roll can often be the most emotional part of a movie, then you obviously don't see movies as more than anything than "just something to watch".

Broadcast networks have been doing that for years. In fact they still do it.
Netflix is not a broadcast network.

On top of that, they make it so simple to get back to the credits, that most monkeys could handle it. Yet people still bitch and moan.
Read my first statement again- it's just as easy to let the entire movie play to the end and let the monkeys who don't care about credits (or the music, or anything that might happen AFTERWARDS) hit a few buttons- and if that's too much for them to handle, then THEY shouldn't be using it. And as I said, if you don't do anything then you get to watch the movie end in a small box and the menu just stays there.
Old 12-11-15, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Read my first statement again- it's just as easy to let the entire movie play to the end and let the monkeys who don't care about credits (or the music, or anything that might happen AFTERWARDS) hit a few buttons- and if that's too much for them to handle, then THEY shouldn't be using it. And as I said, if you don't do anything then you get to watch the movie end in a small box and the menu just stays there.
I think that's the part that he was debating, since a majority is likely on the "Don't watch credits, would rather have recommendations" group, it seems likely that Netflix is just doing a big convenience for the majority at the cost of a minority as is par for the course. Of course, Netflix has to do that so people realize they actually do have other stuff to watch that people may not find on their own

But no matter, I'd recommend grabbing a $50 dedicated tablet for your Chromecast needs, like the Amazon Fire.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-11-15 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-14-15, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Uh, good job missing MY point- if you don't understand how the moment before the credits roll can often be the most emotional part of a movie, then you obviously don't see movies as more than anything than "just something to watch".
Not at all. I just enjoy watching the actual movie more than the credits. The fact that there are some people care a lot more about the credits than the actual movie, and call themselves fans of movie is quite surprising to me.

Netflix is not a broadcast network.
You don't say. I did not know that. The point being, that you obviously missed, is that this practice is nothing new, and not limited, whatsoever, to Netflix. In fact cable channels do this also. So, you must think that all television channels are "abominations" as well, I guess.

Again, you are missing the point by a mile. Netflix is appealing to the VAST majority of its users. The VAST majority of its users do not give a shit about the credits, so why would Netflix waste time and money by forcing people to watch them? If there are some monkeys out there that want to watch the credits, a simple push of a couple of buttons gets them back in all their full screen glory. If that is too much for them to handle, then THEY shouldn't be using Netflix.
Old 12-14-15, 06:20 PM

Y'know, any further response to this is a complete waste of time, but what the hell:

The fact that there are some people care a lot more about the credits than the actual movie, and call themselves fans of movie is quite surprising to me.
I don't care "a lot more about" ANY one part of the movie, I care about ALL of it. And people who skip credits and call themselves fans of movie (sic) is quite surprising to me. When I worked at a theater I always wished I could ban customers who leave during end credits. Anyone who's seen enough movies knows that there might be another scene after the credits anyways. Plus I've learned FAR more than I could possibly list here from credits. When I worked at Tower Records, I once took an order from Kathy Nelson. Do you know who that is? Well, I did since I actually watch credits and told her that it was an honor to speak to her.

The point being, that you obviously missed, is that this practice is nothing new, and not limited, whatsoever, to Netflix. In fact cable channels do this also. So, you must think that all television channels are "abominations" as well, I guess.
Most cable channels certainly are abominations. And just because they do it, doesn't mean Netflix or the like should do it. One reason why many people have dropped cable after Netflix came along is because it DIDN'T have the annoyances that cable has. Plus its way of presenting material is COMPLETELY different as each person watches what they want, when they want, not being spoon-fed whatever the program director wants to show everyone.

Netflix is appealing to the VAST majority of its users. The VAST majority of its users do not give a shit about the credits, so why would Netflix waste time and money by forcing people to watch them?
They don't waste ANY time and money forcing people to watch credits- people are free to stop a movie at ANY POINT they please, whether it's after the first second or right before the credits wrap up. Again, that's the beauty of how these things work as opposed to cable. They already HAVE wasted time and money by developing the silly "feature" that breaks into the credits, and it's cost them a few subscribers as a result. I doubt anyone's specifically subscribed to Netflix because they like seeing the interface interrupt the movie (and again, that STILL requires action on the user's part to do anything- otherwise the credits finish playing in the little box which I don't think anybody wants to see!)

If that is too much for them to handle, then THEY shouldn't be using Netflix.
Again, you've missed MY point by a mile, and you obviously don't see movies the way I do. And you do realize that the time you've spent arguing has been a far bigger waste of time than watching an end credits sequence? Why don't you do that? You might actually learn something. As for me, I gotta go study- even though it's a subject the vast majority of people probably don't give a shit about.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.