Reload this Page >

How many have gone streaming-only?

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

How many have gone streaming-only?

Old 02-22-16, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: How many have gone streaming-only?

Here's a question for those who have cut cable/gone streaming-only.

There are a number of apps for both broadcast cable and the networks that make you input your cable company (Comcast, Verizon, etc.) to get access to the streaming version of their channel.

My question is if I cut the cord with cable, but keep my Internet service through my cable company, will I still be able to get access on said apps? Or do they deny you use of the apps if you aren't part of a cable package? Or does it depend on the network?
Old 02-22-16, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

There are a number of apps for both broadcast cable and the networks that make you input your cable company (Comcast, Verizon, etc.) to get access to the streaming version of their channel.

My question is if I cut the cord with cable, but keep my Internet service through my cable company, will I still be able to get access on said apps? Or do they deny you use of the apps if you aren't part of a cable package? Or does it depend on the network?
No you will not have access. You must have a paid TV subscription to access the content.

My friend tried this and it didn't work.
Old 02-22-16, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

I read that as two separate things.

1) If you don't have access to the channel, you cannot access the app with your credential.
2) If you don't have access to the channel, you can access the app with somebody else's credentials (if they're on Time Warner or Cox, for example)
Old 02-23-16, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
No you will not have access. You must have a paid TV subscription to access the content.

My friend tried this and it didn't work.
Thanks. That sucks.

I knew this was the case for pay TV channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.). I didn't know if it was the case for network and basic cable channels (ABC, F/X, etc.)
Old 02-23-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks. That sucks.

I knew this was the case for pay TV channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.). I didn't know if it was the case for network and basic cable channels (ABC, F/X, etc.)
It's not always the case with networks. I can get ABC and NBC thru Apple TV without authentication. Of course the shows are full of forced commercials so I'd rather just pay & watch them on Hulu.
Old 02-23-16, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eddie W
It's not always the case with networks. I can get ABC and NBC thru Apple TV without authentication. Of course the shows are full of forced commercials so I'd rather just pay & watch them on Hulu.
Well, honestly I'll be able to get the networks with an HD antenna, but I was wondering about F/X, A&E, History Channel, and some of the other basic channels that have their own apps.