Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Anything better than Hulu for current TV seasons?

Old 03-22-15, 02:48 PM
Banned

Anything better than Hulu for current TV seasons?

I am thinking about cutting the cord soon, but from my brief research on streaming options it doesn't seem like there is really any option for current TV seasons other than Hulu.

Hulu still has commercials (one of my biggest reasons for cord cutting after the high cost). Hulu also doesn't have some popular networks like AMC, so no Walking Dead. Is there anything better than Hulu for current TV?

How long does it take for current TV seasons to pop up on Netflix?
Old 03-22-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Re: Anything better than Hulu for current TV seasons?

Usually current seasons of shows pop around the time they come out on DVD/slightly before the premiere of the next season.
Old 03-22-15, 05:26 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Buy PlayOn, then you can stream regular Hulu, and not pay for Hulu+. Doesn't really answer your question, but ultimately ends up being cheaper.
Old 03-22-15, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can usually buy a current seasons or individual shows via the usual streamers (itunes/Vudu/Amazon). The episodes are delayed by only one day & the quality is much better than you get from cable. I'm keeping up with the handful of basic cable shows I watch this way & it's awesome to be able to not only watch them commercial free, but without all the screen clutter you get on cable. No logos, hashtags, or block of text promoting some other show. Plus (at least on Vudu) the presentation is 1080p with Dolby Digital +, neither of which you get with cable.

Of course Hulu is cheaper but has those damned commercials. But I'm still coming out ahead of what I paid for basic cable.
Old 03-22-15, 05:48 PM

I've been buying them on Vudu. It can be pricey. Full season shows run around $30-$50 and half season shows are $20-$30. But it's not too bad if you're just watching a few shows.
Old 03-22-15, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

AMC is one of the reasons I went with SlingTV, unfortunately commercials + no on demand yet is problematic.
Old 03-22-15, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What most people (ie kids) do these days is pirate current television episodes for streaming purposes. I would say more people torrent new television episodes than they do now for music or even movies.

The networks are still wedded to older revenue models and they will cling to them as long as possible.
Old 03-23-15, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The only legal source for getting basic cable shows is via a la carte as mentioned from Amazon, ITunes or Vudu. If you watch more than a handful of basic cable shows, this can be extremely expensive.

You can also purchase network shows that way too, but again that can be extremely expensive if you watch more than 10 shows. It's anywhere from $40-50 per season for many shows in HD.

Free/Legal subscription streaming options for the networks are usually with commercials.

CBS's new streaming service is only $6 per month and they keep all episodes of their own produced shows for the entire season, but unfortunately it has commercials. CBS's free streaming via the web is also flooded with commercials.

NBC can be watched via their website (with commercials) and Hulu Plus (also with commercials)

The CW (same deal via their site with commercials and Hulu Plus with commercials) They only keep the last 5 episodes that aired.

ABC: See Above. Also most of their shows only keep the last 5 episodes.

FOX: Also through Hulu (with commercials) and on their website along with the FOX Now app. However, the FOX Now app requires a provider log-in and a lot of the episodes on FOX's website also requires a provider log-in.

And obviously you're aware of HBO's new service coming out next month that's $14.99 per month, which should let you watch their current programming. But it has a 3 month embargo on Apple TV for TV streaming. After that you should be able to use it on the Roku or gaming consoles. You can stream it via the web as well.

Unless you have the cash to buy every single network show you watch via a la carte (most likely no one will do this) You will either have to pay for Hulu and sit through commercials or watch it via the web through the network sites also with commercials.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-23-15 at 01:20 AM.
Old 03-23-15, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I've been buying them on Vudu. It can be pricey. Full season shows run around $30-$50 and half season shows are $20-$30. But it's not too bad if you're just watching a few shows.
This is really the key: Cord-cutting works best if you watch just a handful of shows and it makes economical sense to just purchase them. Spending $50 each for The Big Bang Theory and whatever else is cheaper than cable if your total spend is around $250 per year.

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Usually current seasons of shows pop around the time they come out on DVD/slightly before the premiere of the next season.
Your mileage will REALLY vary on this one. It's true for a number of shows, but a lot of them are not going to make it "free" right at the time when they should get their biggest post-broadcast customer-cash infusion (and yes, I know streaming can be a studio-cash infusion). Anecdotally it seems like Fox tends to be one of the more "generous" studios this way--they're using it for promoting the new season the way DVDs used to.
Old 03-23-15, 07:57 AM
Banned

Thanks everyone. The more I look at it, the more I don't think cord cutting is really for me. I watch a lot of TV. I don't have an exact number, but it's more than likely at least 10 shows per season that I watch. So I think buying a la cart would be more expensive than cable.

Although I never watch anything live. I dvr everything and watch it later. I don't really want to be a whole season behind though like I would be if I waited until the season pops up on Netflix.
Old 03-23-15, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
I don't have an exact number, but it's more than likely at least 10 shows per season that I watch. So I think buying a la cart would be more expensive than cable.
You should make a list and check out the prices. It might cost less than you think.
Old 03-23-15, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

kgrogers - What channels do you watch the most of is the big question. If it's local (ABC, NBC, Fox, CBS, CW) then there are better solutions available. If it's cable channels (TNT, TBS, USA, AMC, Etc; ) you may be better off keeping your service.
Old 03-23-15, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
kgrogers - What channels do you watch the most of is the big question. If it's local (ABC, NBC, Fox, CBS, CW) then there are better solutions available. If it's cable channels (TNT, TBS, USA, AMC, Etc; ) you may be better off keeping your service.
I watch a mix of both, but I would say that there are slightly more premium shows on AMC and FX and the like that I watch over broadcast TV.

I know with broadcast TV I could just get an antenna, but then I lose out on the dvr capability. I never really watch anything live. I dvr everything and watch it later.

I am reading about Sling TV. I don't think it has dvr or does it? It also is missing some channels, so that puts it in the same situation as Hulu.
Old 03-23-15, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know with broadcast TV I could just get an antenna, but then I lose out on the dvr capability. I never really watch anything live. I dvr everything and watch it later.
Check out the Tivo Roamio OTA. It costs $50. Sure there is a $15 monthly fee, but it's a heckuva log cheaper than cable. This thing helped me cut the cord & it's really a fantastic device. It integrates the OTA/DVR functions with all the major streamers. So I can DVR my network shows, and catch my cable shows via Vudu or Amazon on the same device.

Even with the fees & PPV for basic cable, I'm saving more than half of what I used to pay for cable. And the only thing I really miss is HBO. And that's about to change.......

I thought about Sling, but it's basically a live TV service. Which puts you back at the mercy of commericals.
Old 03-23-15, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Eddie W View Post
Check out the Tivo Roamio OTA. It costs $50. Sure there is a $15 monthly fee, but it's a heckuva log cheaper than cable.
This... or http://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna_DVR_s/336.htm (more initial cost but no monthly fee) or build a computer based DVR (digital video recorder). There are a couple of more I can't think of off the top of my head.

Naturally, the utility of this option is directly related to your OTA (over the air) reception.
Old 03-23-15, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I watch a mix of both, but I would say that there are slightly more premium shows on AMC and FX and the like that I watch over broadcast TV.

I am reading about Sling TV. I don't think it has dvr or does it? It also is missing some channels, so that puts it in the same situation as Hulu.
Gotcha. SlingTV has "pending" DVR features that may or may not happen, we'll see. I use it mostly because I like having some of the channels as background noise (ie: Food/HGTV/Travel).

FX/FXX are the only channels I "miss" but I'm borrowing my parents Bright House credentials for that. But again, nothing works as well as Cable + DVR for being able to skip ads, unfortunately you have to pay for that privilege)
Old 03-26-15, 12:16 PM
Banned

I notice that on Hulu it says for a lot of TV shows that they don't have the rights to let you view it on a TV or mobile device. So that means they can only be viewed on a computer? Does an iPad count as a mobile device or a computer? If you have a computer connected to a TV via HDMI, can you watch on TV that way?

I don't understand this rights thing. How could you have the rights to view on a computer but not on a TV? It doesn't make sense to me. Is this only for the free Hulu and not the paid Hulu Plus subscription? I'm not really aware of the difference between free Hulu and Hulu Plus other than that HD is only possible on Plus.
Old 03-26-15, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I notice that on Hulu it says for a lot of TV shows that they don't have the rights to let you view it on a TV or mobile device. So that means they can only be viewed on a computer? Does an iPad count as a mobile device or a computer? If you have a computer connected to a TV via HDMI, can you watch on TV that way?

I don't understand this rights thing. How could you have the rights to view on a computer but not on a TV? It doesn't make sense to me. Is this only for the free Hulu and not the paid Hulu Plus subscription. I'm not really aware of the difference between free Hulu and Hulu Plus other than that HD is only possible on Plus.
IPad is considered a mobile device. Not 100% about the legalities, but I think being able to stream content via a TV is considered a different set of content rights as opposed to just streaming on the web. Free Hulu doesn't let you stream on a TV unless you purchase the program PlayOn, but your PC has to stay on. Hulu Plus will let you stream it on a TV without needing your PC on as long as you have a dedicated streaming device.
Old 03-26-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't understand this rights thing. How could you have the rights to view on a computer but not on a TV? It doesn't make sense to me. Is this only for the free Hulu and not the paid Hulu Plus subscription? I'm not really aware of the difference between free Hulu and Hulu Plus other than that HD is only possible on Plus.
The ability to watch stuff on TV but not on cable is seen as a bad thing for TV producers. Allowing viewers to catch up, inconveniently, is one thing, allowing them to replace watching Live or on a DVR is another.

It's tremendously stupid, but you can thank advertisers seeing Internet viewing as inferior. People bitch about seeing the same Hulu ads over and over again, I'm more willing to support those companies for supporting a different platform than any of the stuff I've already forgotten from TV.
Old 03-26-15, 01:53 PM
Banned

Thanks guys. What about a computer hooked up to an HDTV? Will that let you circumvent the rights issue?
Old 03-26-15, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes it will. A computer/TV hooked up to an HDTV will circumvent many, many issues, it just doesn't have a great all-in-one interface.
Old 03-26-15, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Yes it will. A computer/TV hooked up to an HDTV will circumvent many, many issues, it just doesn't have a great all-in-one interface.
Yeah, it will but IIRC Hulu is SD and really looked like crap on my 70+ inch HDTV. Hulu+ is HD but doesn't have all the broadcast channels. I can never recall which one they don't have... I'm thinking CBS. Is that right? Another negative, commercials. There is no cookie cutter answer. For me, the best answer for broadcast TV is OTA, no question.
Old 03-26-15, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Will Hulu only show content in SD without an HD option?

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 03-26-15 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-27-15, 07:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
Will Hulu only show content in SD without an HD option?
You have to subscribe to Hulu Plus to get HD.
Old 03-27-15, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, and again if you plan on going with Hulu, look into a 12 month card off a site like eBay. They're usually around $35 which comes out to $2.92/month. Just read the seller reviews first and buy American or European.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.