DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   Sony Playstation Vue (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/625806-sony-playstation-vue.html)

parker63 03-18-15 01:42 PM

Sony Playstation Vue

Personal note: With the pricing of this service starting at $50 per month going up to $70 per month, I don't really see much incentive to dump cable/satellite for something like this...but perhaps I'm missing something?

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/18/s...ing-tv-launch/

Sony attempts to 'redefine television' with launch of PlayStation Vue

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/mida...HELLSKITCH.jpg

With 20 million-plus PlayStation 4 consoles sold to date and over 80 million PlayStation 3s in homes worldwide, Sony has plenty of reason to make Vue, its TV-streaming service, a cornerstone of the platform. The subscription-based service, which officially launches today in New York, Chicago and Philadelphia, is more than just a Sling TV clone, too. Vue offers not only a mixture of live and on-demand content from cable networks like Discovery Communications (e.g., TLC, OWN, Animal Planet) and NBCUniversal (e.g., Bravo, CNBC and E!), but also broadcast TV from NBC, CBS and FOX. And thanks to cloud storage, PS Vue also features what Sony's calling a "virtually unlimited" DVR. It's the company's take on a streaming experience that "redefines television."

Eric Lempel, who heads up Sony's Network Entertainment division, says the idea behind Vue was to "take the burden out of watching television" by streamlining the interactive elements consumers find so frustrating. Things like DVR management and channel guides have been carefully reconsidered for Vue to give consumers painless entry points to programming. Say, for example, you favorite a show by adding it to "My Shows." Vue will then store a backlog of every episode currently airing, available via Catch Up or On Demand in one fluid stream. That's across all participating networks, too. So if you enjoy watching The Simpsons, you'll have access to episodes (arranged in sequential order) according to their network availability.

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/mida..._CHICAGOPD.jpg

The programming guide on Vue benefits from this thinking, too. Though it may look like the familiar grid you're used to seeing from cable or satellite providers, Vue's implementation actually arranges things a bit differently. Networks are displayed across the top of the grid, while times are displayed along the left side. Lempel says this is because Vue will display the network you're currently watching first, followed by your favorites and then all channels. Further, you'll have the ability to search "back in time" to watch previously aired episodes that are either stored On Demand or via Catch Up. That said, you'll have 28 days and 3 days, respectively, to enjoy that content before it's removed.

It may seem like access to all of that content is too good to be true. Certainly, cable operators like Comcast are notorious for creating roadblocks to streaming content (see: HBO Go on PlayStation 4), but that's a matter of authentication; a problem Vue doesn't have to worry about. "We have individual deals with all of the networks. So we're offering the service. Essentially, we're Comcast in this case -- a lot better than Comcast," says Lempel.

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/mida...VAL_COMEDY.jpg

At launch today, Vue will carry programming from broadcast and cable network groups spanning the likes of Turner, Viacom, Fox, Fox News, NBCUniversal, Scripps, Discovery and CBS. That also includes local news and sports content from broadcasters. AMC Networks, a recent addition to Vue's programming lineup, are due to appear on the service in a month's time. Conspicuously absent, however, is ABC; it's the only major holdout of the Big Four broadcasters. That could change, though, as Sony intends to continually improve and bolster Vue's suite of channels and features.

"Every product we release, we iterate," says Lempel. "You know, with the cable system ... the cable box hasn't changed in 10 years. We're going to make this better. ... We'll add networks. We'll add cities very quickly. We're in three big cities now; the next part of the rollout will be other big cities. ... We'll also add features and functionality. We're pushing innovation in this space that hasn't existed before."

Explore is a great example of Sony's nuanced approach to curating streaming TV as it allows users to perform what is essentially an advanced search. The sorting option, available as an icon listed on the upper-left of the screen, filters content by category, genre, ratings, content length and networks. What's more, Explore saves all of your previous searches so you can quickly browse through those for content suggestions.

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/mida..._ALL_VOICE.jpg

Though PlayStation Plus, Sony's subscription-based service for gaming, doesn't have anything to do with Vue at launch, Lempel says that could change in the future. Presumably that means Sony would tie the two services together and create a streamlined billing process or even offer incentives for tiered programming packages; Lempel wouldn't say. What is known, though, is that the PS Plus show Powers, a PlayStation original, will live on Vue. In fact, Lempel says that once Sony's original-programming initiative ramps up, Vue will contain a channel dedicated to PlayStation originals.

There's one member of the current PlayStation hardware family that won't be enjoying access to Vue and that's the Vita. As Lempel explains it, the service is just too complex and so, for now, any plans to bring it to Sony's handheld are merely "in consideration." You will see Vue on the iPad in the coming weeks post-launch, though. And that's part of a greater platform-agnostic push that could even see the service appearing on smart TVs and other connected TV devices, like Roku.

"We really want to listen to our users; wherever they want this. It's really designed around the PlayStation user," says Lempel.

When PlayStation Vue goes live today, Sony's offering users a seven-day trial period after which they'll have to commit to one of three monthly pricing tiers: $50 for Access; $60 for Core; $70 for Elite. The tiers are based on access to additional channel lineups -- not increased remote DVR storage -- with Core adding a sports package and Elite bolstering that with a lifestyle, music and family programming package.

RichC2 03-18-15 01:56 PM

Re: Sony Playstation Vue

$50 and I'd have to use my PS4 controller, I'll pass on that for a while, Sling TV is getting what I need done. The incentive here is you don't have to sign any contracts and can use it for a month without a connection/disconnection/ETF fee, plus perhaps the channels are better though that I'm not sure of. It also appears to includes an unlimited DVR and you don't have to rent the cable box, or pay a $10 "High Definition" fee. I get it, overall, as it isn't a Cord Cutters solution, it's an IPTV solution with no hidden fees, and you own the equipment yourself.

This isn't meant to be TV a la Carte like Dish is doing. This is full blown "We want to take over for Comcast/Charter/TWC/Verizon". I used to pay $60 for cable, but then an extra $10 for the HD channels, $17 to rent a DVR, and $4 per bed room for adapter boxes. Plus there were an abundance of "additional" taxes and fees that went with it. This is $50, high def, all you can eat DVR. I don't know how many streams you can use simultaneously so I'm curious to find that out as I have a PS3 and a PS4 I could use for the service.

Shannon Nutt 03-18-15 02:23 PM

The biggest thing Vue seems to offer that others (like the upcoming Apple service, which will have ABC, but won't have NBCUniversal) is local news and sports - that's the biggest thing keeping me from cutting the cord these days. Still $70 a month isn't hat much less that what good ol' reliable cable is charging me for the TV part of my cable package (which includes Internet) - plus you'll still have to dish out $ for an Internet provider, so you're well over the $100 range per month.

RichC2 03-18-15 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 12426367)
The biggest thing Vue seems to offer that others (like the upcoming Apple service, which will have ABC, but won't have NBCUniversal) is local news and sports - that's the biggest thing keeping me from cutting the cord these days. Still $70 a month isn't hat much less that what good ol' reliable cable is charging me for the TV part of my cable package (which includes Internet) - plus you'll still have to dish out $ for an Internet provider, so you're well over the $100 range per month.

I'd personally just do the indoor antenna fix for local stuff, the quality is better than what you get over cable or IPTV as well. But investing in something like Tablo can be pricey.

parker63 03-18-15 02:55 PM

Here's Sony's page indicating what is available on each of it's plans:

http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork....ion-vue/plans/

Slight changes between New York Chicago and Philadelphia, where the service is limited to at the moment.

Taking a look at those offerings...just seems way too limited for the amount of $$$ they are charging per tier. Unless they are slated to get a boatload of new networks signed on to the service before nationwide launch.

For $70 per month, I would expect to get at least one "premium" service, such as HBO or Showtime, if you really want to lure customers away from Comcast or satellite.

musick 03-18-15 03:21 PM

really not interested in this but I from what little I have read I can't figure out the following

if I have my PS4 connected to my tv downstairs I assume that is my gateway (satellite/cable box) to the VUE content for that tv .... how do I get content to a tv in another room in the house without having to have another PS4/PS3 hooked up to it?

RichC2 03-18-15 03:27 PM

You have another PS4/PS3 and hook it up? Not sure, I figured the game consoles acted as the cable box.

musick 03-18-15 03:33 PM

that's what it sounds like

I guess if you consider you are paying satellite/cable companies money each month for an extra box it can be justified that you are spreading out the payments over time but seems like a pretty sizable upfront investment for those looking to run the service on multiple tv sets

RichC2 03-18-15 03:38 PM

I dunno, you can get Used PS3s for pretty cheap these days. Maybe they'll add it to the PS TV.

musick 03-18-15 03:42 PM

yeah, I don't know how well telling people to pick up used hardware for cheap is going to go toward gaining any kind of mass adoption

those looking for cord cutting options are already price conscious .... asking them to hook up a PS4 or PS3 to each tv instead of say some type of dongle is going to be a big negative

parker63 03-18-15 03:59 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ETQeZsywQWA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

According to this, you can stream to 3 devices at once with the service. But: only one of those 3 devices can be a PS4.

Huh? Weird.

Eddie W 03-18-15 04:10 PM

Yeah, this is too pricey. Plus it really doesn't seem to have a market. My base package with DirecTV was $60. Why would I want this for $50-70? With less networks.

Plus the scary thing about streaming is it's way too easy to make commericals un-skippable.

I like their quote that they are aiming to be better than Comcast. So the bar is set at 'maybe not awful'.

Red Dog 03-18-15 04:11 PM

$50 seems very pricey w/o the ESPN nets.

fujishig 03-18-15 05:57 PM

I need this to take off so I can finally get them to make a PS4 remote, or at least a Harmony bluetooth code.

mike1977 03-18-15 06:27 PM

I think I'd rather pay $49.99. No bs "because we can fees", no locked in to a contract.... than continue with

Directv: 59.99 for entertainment plus $25 advanced dvr fee.

I see the Select for Directv is $49.99 also...but there still is that dang dvr fee.

One thing I am concerned about is commercials. Will they be forced every time you watch a single movie or TV show episode from your cloud dvr (and unskippable)? What has aggravated me in the past and caused to me avoid streaming stuff with commercials in them is going back a few seconds and triggering another commercial break.

DJariya 03-18-15 07:02 PM

It's interesting to see all these new entertainment alternatives like Sling TV, HBO Now and now the Playstation Vue. But in the end, the costs are still going to add up depending on how much you watch.

All of these individual streaming services, enough speed from your ISP for you to stream without freezing or buffering, and then buying seasons/episodes of cable shows a la carte. And then buying a decent streaming player, DVR or HD antenna.

As for the PS Vue. I can't see this is a viable alternative for cord cutters who are supposedly trying to cut their entertainment costs and then in turn gets less. I mean most are still going to keep their Netflix, Hulu accounts and then probably get HBO Now and maybe even Showtime's new service whenever that comes out.

I saw another article that said shows recorded on the Cloud storage for this expire in 28 days.

Jay G. 03-18-15 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12426646)
I saw another article that said shows recorded on the Cloud storage for this expire in 28 days.

Yeah, it's mentioned in the FAQ:
http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork....ation-vue/faq/

When you tag a favorite show as “My Shows” all live episodes airing of that show will be saved in “My Shows.” Anything added to "My Shows" is saved for up to 28 days.
The site mentions a "catch up" feature:

Featuring thousands of hours of the best on demand content, PlayStation™Vue stores up to 3 days of many popular primetime shows so you can catch up and watch on your time.

RichC2 03-18-15 08:11 PM

3 days? :lol: plenty of time to catch up. I get that Live+3 is a big deal now but jesus.

Jay G. 03-18-15 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12426717)
3 days? :lol: plenty of time to catch up. I get that Live+3 is a big deal now but jesus.

Note that it's only for stuff you didn't have marked as "my shows."

parker63 03-02-16 02:42 PM

Update: Price Cuts, and ABC/ESPN networks finally added. This gets a little more interesting. Especially when you factor in the ability to DVR your shows, as opposed to SlingTV only offering live viewing.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/...tart-at-39-99/

Why So Blu? 03-14-16 01:39 PM

This just went nationwide or some shit:

http://www.cnet.com/news/sonys-plays...-30-per-month/

Why So Blu? 03-14-16 01:49 PM

My Elite package, if I were to subscribe to the service, is $54.99.

Jay G. 03-14-16 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12750798)
This just went nationwide or some shit:

http://www.cnet.com/news/sonys-plays...-30-per-month/

Basically, anywhere without access to local channels can subscribe to a "slim" package for $30. The markets that have local channels don't have access to the "slim" package, and instead have to buy the $40 package that includes local.

This might actually be a good deal for those with OTA tuners to view some cable channels cheap.

RichC2 03-14-16 02:31 PM

It's $29.99 here for Slim Access, I'm going to give it a shot and will probably ditch SlingTV due to technical issues.

Vue needs to release its app to basic Android, as well as Roku, sooner rather than later. I have a PS3, PS4 and Fire TV so I'm set, but still.

Access Slim - PS Vue: Access Core: ABC on Demand, FOX on Demand, NBC on Demand, AMC, Animal Planet, BET, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CMT, CNBC, CNN, Comedy Central, Destination America, Discovery, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, DIY Network, E!, ESPN, ESPN2, Esquire, Food, Fox Business, Fox News, Freeform, FS1, FS2, FX, FXX, HGTV, HLN, ID, MSNBC, MTV, MTV2, Nat Geo, NBC SN, Nick, Nick Jr, NickToons, OWN, Oxygen, POP, Science, Spike, Syfy, TBS, TLC, TNT, Travel, TruTV, TVLand, USA, VH1, WE TV

SlingTV Basic: ESPN, ESPN 2, AMC, Food Network, A&E, History, TNT, El Rey, HGTV, IFC, Disney, Polaris, Maker, TBS, Travel, Cartoon Network / Adult Swim, CNN, ViceLand, FreeForm, Lifetime, GAlavision, Bloomberg

So I'd be losing A&E, History, El Rey, Viceland, Lifetime, Maker, Galavision and Bloomberg. I can live with that. Sucks to lose El Rey, but oh well.

parker63 03-14-16 03:57 PM

I'm liking these developments more and more. I especially like that you don't *have* to have a PlayStation to subscribe. Fire TV now, with more devices added soon? Nice.

I would probably jump on it but I've got to finish off a DirecTV contract for the remainder of the year. I can get my locals with an antenna if locals aren't added in my area by next year. $30 per month with a DVR service? Yes please.

Things that I wonder about: What's the streaming quality like? The other thing I would probably miss is the "TV Everywhere" authorization that DirecTV provides for the varied on-demand apps for the Roku, Fire TV, et. al.

In the meantime...for my personal needs, this is looking really good.