Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Amazon Fire TV Stick

Old 09-02-18, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Amazon Fire TV Stick

The remote control of one of my Fire Sticks w/ Alexa keeps draining my AAA batteries. Anyone know why this is happening and how to make it stop? Is the remote faulty?
Old 10-03-18, 09:24 AM

From checking out Amazon's site this morning, it appears they are getting rid of the Fire TV 3 (Pendant Design) and just going with this new 4K Stick instead...

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/03/...e-tv-stick-4k/

Amazon's latest Fire TV Stick offers 4K for $50
You can also buy the newer Alexa Voice Remote by itself.

After years of offering 4K playback on its higher-end Fire TV devices, Amazon is ready to bring that extra resolution to its most affordable hardware. With a base of active users that's 25 million strong, it's launching the Fire TV Stick 4K, delivering Ultra HD and HDR streaming through an HDMI dongle that costs a modest $50. The stealthy device isn't as affordable as Roku's $40 Premiere, but it's also billed as the first media stick to support Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision and HDR10+. You won't have to settle for lower-quality output just to save some cash or avoid using your TV's built-in apps.

The device also ships with Amazon's newer Alexa Voice Remote (included with the Fire TV Cube), touting Bluetooth, "multidirectional" infrared and some much-needed buttons for power, volume and muting. You'll have more reason to use the remote, as well. Amazon noted that in-app Alexa control is coming to a number of more specialized video services, including AMC, HBO Now and Sony Crackle.

The Fire TV Stick 4K is up for pre-orders and will ship to both the US and Canada on October 31st. Germany, India and the UK will have to wait until November 14th, while Japan gets it by the end of 2018. You don't have to spend the full $50 if you just want the remote, for that matter. Amazon is making the Alexa Voice Remote available by itself for $30 with the same release dates as the media stick, while those looking for OTA TV to go with their streaming can get a Fire TV Recast bundle with broadcast-catching box, a 35-mile antenna and this stick for $250 -- $50 less than buying them separately.

Last edited by parker63; 10-03-18 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-03-18, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
The remote control of one of my Fire Sticks w/ Alexa keeps draining my AAA batteries. Anyone know why this is happening and how to make it stop? Is the remote faulty?
This has been happening too me too ever since day one.

It's almost automatic that I have to change the batteries every two weeks and it's a pain in the ass trying too get the back cover off the remote .