Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Paramount+ with Showtime - ViacomCBS streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-21, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Paramount+ (formerly CBS All-Access) - ViacomCBS streaming service - rebrand 3/4/21

Originally Posted by b2net
So here is the process I used to get the PARAMOUNTPLUS promo to work on our existing account. First I switched to Annual. After switching to Annual added the promo code. It now shows 50% off for 12 months applied to our account.
Be careful, some existing customers on facebook were saying that CBS gives the discount but it applies to second year.
Old 02-27-21, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Paramount+ (formerly CBS All-Access) - ViacomCBS streaming service - rebrand 3/4/21

Originally Posted by Deadman31
Be careful, some existing customers on facebook were saying that CBS gives the discount but it applies to second year.
That is exactly what happened to me. I called to complain and was told the following. The code / offer was originally only for new subscribers. They extended it to be for existing subscribers. In doing so, the discount is for the "next" renewal not the existing plan. As I switched to Annual, that is the existing plan and the 50% off would not kick in till the renewal 1 year from now. I complained that this should have been spelled out in the details of the offer up front. And basically that they've given us 50% off 2nd year makes the offer only worth 25% off each year. If for any reason we cancel before the full 2 years we lose our some or all of the value of the promotion.

I even said: "don't get me wrong, a discount is a discount". My contention was with the lack of disclosure. Textbook definition of disappointment is unmet expectation. And this is not at all what I expected. When I mentioned that we may just possibly consider canceling, they encouraged me to wait until at least 1 week after the change to Paramount+. Not sure if there might be a financial advantage or just until they load up the new content and or features.

Now we have to evaluate if we truly want to keep subscribed continually for 2 years. We were happy to subscribe via promo or discount or a few months at full price and watch what we wanted. There have been some times we had a lack of content. Maybe if the content extends to enough where we still use it weekly, then maybe. Otherwise, we might possibly just cancel.
Old 02-28-21, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Just cancel and sign up with a new email address. The main thing you lose is your watch history.

It's what I had to do when I did the sportsline thing because of course they value new customers way more than old ones.
Old 02-28-21, 08:23 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I let my sub lapse by a day and was able to sign up for the full year deal. I wasn't going to do it but some of those exclusives sound sweet and figured I'd get $50 worth out of it (besides Star Trek, which is all worthwhile to me.)
Old 02-28-21, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by BackStJoe
I let my sub lapse by a day and was able to sign up for the full year deal. I wasn't going to do it but some of those exclusives sound sweet and figured I'd get $50 worth out of it (besides Star Trek, which is all worthwhile to me.)
Never thought of that. I literally changed to annual and then added the code 1 day before existing sub was to end. Could have waited a day.

I would suggest checking your CC statement. The help agent did mention the discount on 2nd year was for existing accounts not existing subscribers.
Old 02-28-21, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

If there’s a Sony Tv app that appears, I’ll probably bite. It’s the only way for me to get 4K right now since I have a regular appletv.
Old 02-28-21, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I don't know why, as a three-year subscriber, I was allowed to use the PARAMOUNTPLUS code while the rest of you were not (or not for this year). The only thing I can think of is that I've never used a promo code in the past, so maybe that's it. I never signed up for a promotion when I first got the app.
Old 03-03-21, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I just signed on to All Access with the current deal. I had a brief one-month for 99 cent fling recently through Amazon. So far I'm luke-warm and I'm hoping the re-boot will make an appreciable difference. Here's my question, though. I have a Samsung and the movies I've sampled stream in 5.1, but that's it, -everything else, -CBS, current programming, ST Discovery, -are all playing in flat stereo. When I went through Amazon everything streamed as 5.1. Also, I've heard mention of 4K, -and I'm 4K ready, -but I don't see anything listed as 4K.
Am I missing something here or is that just the way they do things?
Old 03-03-21, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I just signed on to All Access with the current deal. I had a brief one-month for 99 cent fling recently through Amazon. So far I'm luke-warm and I'm hoping the re-boot will make an appreciable difference. Here's my question, though. I have a Samsung and the movies I've sampled stream in 5.1, but that's it, -everything else, -CBS, current programming, ST Discovery, -are all playing in flat stereo. When I went through Amazon everything streamed as 5.1. Also, I've heard mention of 4K, -and I'm 4K ready, -but I don't see anything listed as 4K.
Am I missing something here or is that just the way they do things?
On CBS AA app, you have to pause the show or movie you are watching and manually change it to DD or DD+. It is an annoying as hell set up that hopefully they fix with this new app tomorrow.
Old 03-03-21, 03:48 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Hmm, the Paramount Plus won't let me add my credit card info, and I can't even tell if the PARAMOUNTPLUS coupon is applied correctly, it was autofilled in the coupon code spot, but no mention of the 50% discount. I'll try it on my phone and see if it works there.

edit to add: Worked on the phone.

Last edited by PerryD; 03-03-21 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-03-21, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I am assuming that the Apple TV deal I signed up for (CBS All-Access ad-free & Showtime for $9.99/mo, with active Apple Plus subscription) will still carry forward unchanged. They just charged me for March.

Edit : Apparently confirmed. Can't cancel though or you lose access to the deal forever as it's not offered any more.
Old 03-03-21, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Now we not only have to pay for cable for some of the content we want, but now have to pay for these plus services for shows that should still just be on cable. CBS, Paramount, Discovery Plus, etc. When will it stop?
Old 03-04-21, 12:15 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, CBS All Access now says to go to https://www.paramountplus.com/ which says "403 Forbidden".

Ouch. That's a bad way to start their first day.
Old 03-04-21, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant
Well, CBS All Access now says to go to https://www.paramountplus.com/ which says "403 Forbidden".

Ouch. That's a bad way to start their first day.
It is working now.
Old 03-04-21, 01:36 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

So far, it looks like the website's the same and all they've done is change the logo. Hopefully there will be some changes later today. If they don't add a Watchlist feature, I'm going to be very disappointed.
Old 03-04-21, 02:27 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

The Roku app just updated. It looks the same as CBS All Access. New logo, still no watchlist.
Old 03-04-21, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I just updated my Apple TV, iPad and Roku apps. It does look the same as CBS All-Access except for the animated logo intro and some minor rebranding. The CBS All-Access originals are now rebranded with new title animations as Paramount Plus originals.

I agree that a watchlist would be a nice addition. It's cumbersome trying to find all the shows you watch and remember where you left off.

I count 3 new Paramount plus originals as of right now. Kamp Koral, The Real World and For Heaven's sake. And the Spongebob movie as of right now.

I did notice some old VH1 shows being added like Storytellers and the original Behind the Music. They are in the MTV hub. But, only a few episodes. I hope they add more as I enjoyed those back in the day and I know P+ is rebooting Behind the Music, so it would be nice if they add the entire back catalogue.

I know this is a work in progress. They have lots of stuff still licensed to other services.

Old 03-04-21, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

When I left the house an hour ago, my Samsung didn't have the new App and All Access was no longer connected to Samsung's server (so no simple update).
Old 03-04-21, 06:32 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

I'm not surprised that all that has updated is the branding.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (03-04-21)
Old 03-04-21, 07:21 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Now we not only have to pay for cable for some of the content we want, but now have to pay for these plus services for shows that should still just be on cable. CBS, Paramount, Discovery Plus, etc. When will it stop?
It's not going to stop. This is the new model of television watching. It's up to you and your family to decide which services are worth your dollars based on what content you want to see.

I enjoy HGTV, but not enough to want to see what else is on Discovery +, but Paramount + already has Star Trek, so that alone makes it worth it for us. And there are lots of other things coming that sound interesting for our household. (We also really loved Strange Angel.)
Old 03-04-21, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So the cheap sportsline sub with CBS all access went over to Paramount +. People were a little worried about it because it was a promo. While the 10 dollar deal is no longer available, 25 for 12-18 months is still killer.
Old 03-04-21, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

How many streams are allowed at the same time on the Paramount Plus app?
Old 03-04-21, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
How many streams are allowed at the same time on the Paramount Plus app?
I believe they said 3, though the only cbs site that I see on google that had this info is currently down.
Old 03-04-21, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

This is literally like the took the existing app and just changed the name of it. Polishing a turd. So frustrating. Watchlist and the sound thing need to be fixed ASAP.
Old 03-04-21, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Were people expecting to them to re-engineer the app just due to the rebranding?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.