Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Paramount+ with Showtime - ViacomCBS streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-20, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
Re: CBS AllAccess becomes Paramount +

I have the Apple TV+, CBS All Access, and Showtime bundle for $15 a month. I use All Access mainly to re-watch older seasons of The Challenge and Showtime to watch movies.
Old 10-29-20, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The re-brand it kind of stupid, as I THINK most people know what CBS Access is by now and have an understanding of what is offered on there. It's like starting again from scratch in terms of branding, but who knows what goes through the minds of these corporate types. I hope this means the addition of everything (or a lot) from the Paramount film library without losing anything CBS Access already offers in terms of catalog stuff.
Originally Posted by Mike86
They should have named it Paramount All Access instead. Incorporate part of the current name, but rebrand so it’s known to be all of Paramount including CBS.

Kinda surprised that NBC Universal didn’t do the same with Peacock. Rather than having it named after an NBC namesake they should have incorporated Universal in the name. I’m sure they’ll be next to do a streaming platform at some point. Also the same with WB and HBO Max. I feel like they only used HBO in the name because HBO is popular, but WB has a rich library beyond just HBO content.
The only studio that seems to have any kind of brand recognition with the general public would be Disney.

I don't think the Average Joe knows how studio libraries work; they don't necessarily identify tv series/movies/properties with their respective studios, so naming your streaming service Paramount or Universal or whatever doesn't have a lot of resonance with the general public.

With Disney, people automatically think of Mickey Mouse and the animated movies, and maybe even Marvel or Star Wars, but most people don't associate Paramount with Star Trek, or Universal with Jurassic Park or Battlestar Galactica, yadda, yadda, yadda.

It's probably not a bad idea for Warners to group all of their properties under HBO Maxm since HBO is a recognizable brand with the general public. But all of the rest? Ask someone which studio owns Friends or Frasier or CSI, and they'll draw a blank.

But bring up Sopranos, and they'll automatically think of HBO. Or Frozen, and everyone will know it's a Disney movie.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (10-29-20)
Old 10-30-20, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
With Disney, people automatically think of Mickey Mouse and the animated movies, and maybe even Marvel or Star Wars, but most people don't associate Paramount with Star Trek, or Universal with Jurassic Park or Battlestar Galactica, yadda, yadda, yadda.
That's because, delusions of network executives to the contrary, CBS, NBC, and so on are not brands. Nobody cares that a show is on CBS instead of NBC, which is why studio-specific streaming services can't get brand recognition. I had hoped the increasing Balkanization of streaming services would come to a halt, but with everybody racing to pull their content from the major aggregation services (Netflix, Hulu) it looks like the studios will continue on this IMHO destructive path.
Old 10-30-20, 08:19 AM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

I really don't understand the whole "plus" branding, as if that is an obvious thing.

There was Hulu, then Hulu Plus for a little more money and a lot less commercials. Makes sense because the Plus is in reference to the original.

Beyond that? Disney Plus, Paramount Plus, these make zero sense.
Old 10-30-20, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I really don't understand the whole "plus" branding, as if that is an obvious thing.

There was Hulu, then Hulu Plus for a little more money and a lot less commercials. Makes sense because the Plus is in reference to the original.

Beyond that? Disney Plus, Paramount Plus, these make zero sense.
I think Disney + is fine, because calling it just "Disney" seems weird and they don't have any other similar services.

The one that gets me is HBO Max. You own Cinemax but have no content from there. You already had HBO Go and HBO Now, as well as regular HBO, it was just a confusing mess.
Old 10-30-20, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't know, some of these companies seem to want to have it both ways.

HBO Max continually loses content that it should by all rights keep, stuff like DC movies or even those direct to video cartoons.
At some point they have to reach a ceiling with subscribers. So why have an unlimited WB/DC/HBO library when you're not attracting new customers? So it makes sense to "rent out" some things to other services to keep the revenue coming in. Will their subscriber base take a hit if HBO "rents out" a DC movie here or there for $$$ to another service? Not likely. Then in a year or two when it returns to HBO it's like new content for those subscribers. Same goes for all the services. It's probably just a juggling act.
Old 10-30-20, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
At some point they have to reach a ceiling with subscribers. So why have an unlimited WB/DC/HBO library when you're not attracting new customers? So it makes sense to "rent out" some things to other services to keep the revenue coming in. Will their subscriber base take a hit if HBO "rents out" a DC movie here or there for $$$ to another service? Not likely. Then in a year or two when it returns to HBO it's like new content for those subscribers. Same goes for all the services. It's probably just a juggling act.
Maybe Disney eventually changes its tune but for right now they seem to be consolidating everything so they're the one place to get Disney/Marvel/Star Wars content.

I think we see with HBO Max that they're a little desperate for money right now (otherwise why sell Crunchyroll, which has synergy with your streaming platform?)

CBS/Paramount: I'm not sure what they're doing.
Old 11-23-20, 11:45 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
re: Paramount+ (formerly CBS All-Access) - ViacomCBS streaming service - rebrand 3/4/21

Free month code: TURKEY
Expires 11/30.
Defiant (11-23-20)
Old 11-23-20, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
re: Paramount+ (formerly CBS All-Access) - ViacomCBS streaming service - rebrand 3/4/21

Originally Posted by dex14
Expires 11/30.
Damn it. Last episode of ST: Discovery airs January 7th. Means you can't get the whole season in before it ends.
Old 11-23-20, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Those codes never work for me. Every time I put them in, it says I have the free month, then they later get taken away.

I've been a member continuously since the service launched.
Old 11-23-20, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Expires 11/30.
When I try to use that code it states it is not valid. Likely because I am already in a free month.
Old 11-23-20, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Damn it. Last episode of ST: Discovery airs January 7th. Means you can't get the whole season in before it ends.
Damn. That’s probably what I was going to use it for. But The Stand starts in December too. Maybe I’ll just let it continue and pay for an additional month. Whenever I try to cancel they offer a discount deal, like half off for 3 months or something.

They have 30 day codes all the time.
Deftones (11-23-20)
Old 11-23-20, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by b2net
When I try to use that code it states it is not valid. Likely because I am already in a free month.
I assume you’d have to cancel and then redo it.
Old 11-23-20, 04:16 PM

FEAST is another promo code going around.
Old 11-23-20, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Turkey didn't work for me but Feast seemed too..

Thanks
Old 11-23-20, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Damn. That’s probably what I was going to use it for. But The Stand starts in December too. Maybe I’ll just let it continue and pay for an additional month. Whenever I try to cancel they offer a discount deal, like half off for 3 months or something.

They have 30 day codes all the time.
I totally forgot about the Stand. Yeah, maybe I pay for a month too.

Looks like that runs into February. So may be paying for 2 months.

Last edited by Deftones; 11-23-20 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-23-20, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I assume you’d have to cancel and then redo it.
If I cancel, there are 2 options. Accept 2 months at 1/2 price or cancel. Which is no guarantee the code will then work. Good suggestion. Might try this if FEAST doesn't work.
Old 11-23-20, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FEAST worked for me.
Old 11-24-20, 01:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This one worked for me. Thanks!
Old 11-27-20, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Found out using Airplay on the Roku not only allows the end credits to play uninterrupted, but you also get 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus while the regular Roku app only delivers 2-channel sound. If only they would fix the frame rate for stuff shot on video like The Price is Right.
Old 12-16-20, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

CBS All Access has 4K HDR10 and Dolby Vision for those on the commercial free plan. Only on certain devices though. Which does not include Roku.

https://help.cbs.com/s/article/Does-...ision-or-HDR10
Old 12-24-20, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Use code HOLIDAY for free month.
Old 01-07-21, 09:00 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The code FOOTBALL just worked for me for a free month.
Old 01-19-21, 09:10 AM

The launch of rebranded streaming service Paramount+ has been set by ViacomCBS.

It will go live in the U.S. on March 4, the Nordics on March 25 and Australia by the middle of the year.

In Canada, CBS All Access will be rebranded as Paramount+ on March 4 and then evolve into an expanded offering later in the year.
Why So Blu? (01-19-21)
Old 01-22-21, 05:23 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

50% Off an Annual Plan for Paramount+

Limited Commercials - $29.99
Commercial Free - $49.99

Sign up for a CBS All Access annual plan today and for a limited time we'll sweeten the deal with 50% off your first year. Then stream even MORE shows, movies & originals when your subscription transitions over to Paramount+ on March 4. Offer expires on 03/03/2021 11:59 PM GMT. Terms and conditions apply.

https://www.paramountplus.com/
Deftones (01-22-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.