Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Hulu -- News and Notable New additions

Old 07-11-18, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
Re: Hulu -- News and Notable New additions

Originally Posted by OldBoy
anyone know?
Certain shows are Current Season Only. This applies to Speechless, Grey's Anatomy, American Housewife, and Modern Family among others.

Some shows are only the last 5 episodes (The Middle, Shark Tank, Agents of SHIELD, etc; ), so a full season is an improvement. ABC is the worst about this, though it applies to other shows as well (Gotham, Lethal Weapon etc; )

Full Current Series is fairly new to Hulu in the grand scheme of things.
Old 07-11-18, 10:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 900 Likes on 761 Posts

oh, ok. thanks Rich. stinks, but what ya gonna go. and please oh please to G-d get St. Elsewhere in it's entirety!!!
Old 07-14-18, 10:01 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

My favorite film of 2017, Thelma is on Hulu.
https://www.hulu.com/watch/1256927

Beautifully shot, emotional fantasy/horror that was on many (most?) best foreign language film lists.
Old 07-14-18, 10:19 PM

can you add something to a "watchlist" on Hulu? i didn't see any option...
Old 07-15-18, 06:45 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Pretty much a watchlist I guess, you can add things to “my stuff”.
Old 07-15-18, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts

On the Roku Hulu App you press the asterisk when on the show page and you have the option to add.

On Hulu.com, click the circle with a + sign on the show page.

To view it, go to "My Stuff".

There seems to be a disconnect between website and app though. It sometimes takes awhile for the one to appear on the other.

I just noticed on the website under Account, there is an option to Sync Watchlist to My Stuff, so maybe that will do it faster.
Old 07-15-18, 04:11 PM

ok, thanks guys...
Old 07-22-18, 07:31 PM

i want to beat a dead horse...but, is there any news whatsoever of getting the complete St. Elsewhere collection in Hulu, not just S1? why would they even have S1 and not the others or even that one at all?
Old 07-23-18, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,604 Posts

Looks like Hulu is slowly starting to pull Lucifer from it's service since it's moving to Netflix.

Season 3 is now only the last 5 episodes. They had the entire season until recently. The entire 1st and 2nd season are still there for now.
Old 07-25-18, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 805 Likes on 594 Posts

I'm sure it's due to the recent Supreme Court Ruling that all internet companies must charge sales tax, but Hulu started adding taxes to my subscription starting this month. In TN, that's an extra $1.54 a month for my commercial free Hulu and $5 a month HBO subscription promotion....
Old 07-26-18, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone else use Hulu via Roku smart TV? I use Hulu on multiple devices and the Roku version is the only one where I can't seem to change the subtitle Font and Color. It defaults to yellow which I cant stand. On all my other devices I can change it under settings but on the Roku version there is no such settings. Very annoying.
Old 08-04-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

When is Live TV going to get out of beta and stop sucking?
Old 08-18-18, 03:39 PM

so every time i try to play any episode of the show Happy Endings i get some kind of "SSL Target error" message. the screen is black, but the show plays in background and cannot see, only hear. Playing on Sony Blu-ray player.

it doesn't happen with any other show on Hulu. i never had a problem before and always got to the episode i wanted (the 2nd) before, but now, 2 days in a row i get same message.

and i don't get same message and can play fine on phone and pc and through Sony tv. Only Blu-ray player do I get message for only this show and cannot continue.

anyone come across this before and know what to do? thanks in advance.

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-18-18 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-19-18, 11:14 AM

so every time i try to play any episode of the show Happy Endings i get some kind of "SSL Target error" message. the screen is black, but the show plays in background and cannot see, only hear. Playing on Sony Blu-ray player.

it doesn't happen with any other show on Hulu. i never had a problem before and always got to the episode i wanted (the 2nd) before, but now, 2 days in a row i get same message.

and i don't get same message and can play fine on phone and pc and through Sony tv. Only Blu-ray player do I get message for only this show and cannot continue.

anyone come across this before and know what to do? thanks in advance.
anyone on the above?
Old 08-19-18, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Happy Endings plays fine for me on Hulu. I just checked.
Edit : That was on my phone. No idea about a Sony BR player. Those have not been good for streaming for me. Game consoles work way better.
Old 08-20-18, 08:51 AM

Received 4,555 Likes on 3,090 Posts

After being attracted to Constance Wu in Crazy Rich Asians, I started to check out some episodes of Fresh Off The Boat. In the bottom right corner, there looks to be a broken image error in every episode (I've watched the first three). It almost looks like where the ABC logo would go if you were watching the broadcast. Has anyone seen this happen before? I think this is the first show I watched on Hulu that wasn't an original.
Old 08-25-18, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Finally started Letterkenny. It has made me laugh a lot so far and it's sort of refreshing considering how un-PC it is. Glad I have a few seasons to binge.

"It's like Algebra, why you got to put numbers and letters together, why can't you just go fuck yourself."

Last edited by RichC2; 08-25-18 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-27-18, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14
After being attracted to Constance Wu in Crazy Rich Asians, I started to check out some episodes of Fresh Off The Boat. In the bottom right corner, there looks to be a broken image error in every episode (I've watched the first three). It almost looks like where the ABC logo would go if you were watching the broadcast. Has anyone seen this happen before? I think this is the first show I watched on Hulu that wasn't an original.
I have noticed it when trying to watch Hulu shows on my Samsung Blu-ray player. It's not there when I watch shows on my Roku Stick or on my pc. It looks like a square box with a question mark in it.
Old 08-27-18, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I have noticed it when trying to watch Hulu shows on my Samsung Blu-ray player. It's not there when I watch shows on my Roku Stick or on my pc. It looks like a square box with a question mark in it.
Yea, I only see it on my Sony TV, which runs an Android OS. Haven't seen it on Roku or through the website. The Android OS doesn't have the latest Hulu update either, which looks nice on Roku.
Old 08-27-18, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14
Yea, I only see it on my Sony TV, which runs an Android OS. Haven't seen it on Roku or through the website. The Android OS doesn't have the latest Hulu update either, which looks nice on Roku.
My Samsung Blu-ray player uses the old interface too. I wonder if that's the problem?
Old 09-01-18, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It looks like the problem was fixed yesterday. The old interface seems to try to run the local station bugs on the broadcast network shows. On my roku stick they only run the abc bug.
Old 09-21-18, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

So considering cutting the cord. How is this service? Does the live streaming look good? What about sports?
Old 09-23-18, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
So considering cutting the cord. How is this service? Does the live streaming look good? What about sports?
I assume you mean "Hulu with Live TV" - which I have as a replacement for cable tv and watch on a Roku Premiere+ media player.

I think the live streaming quality of channels is very good overall. But I have noticed that during sports events, the sound will occasionally get out-of-sync with the picture (so get that "Godzilla dubbing effect" when the game switches back to show the commentators in the booth and can see that their mouth movements don't match their words). Whenever this happens, I just back out of the channel at the next commercial break and re-select it, which re-buffers and brings it all back into sync. (Luckily, this issue seems to occur only on occasion and only during live sporting events.)
Old 09-24-18, 12:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/comc...ulu-to-disney/

Comcast is Reportedly Wiling to Sell 30% of Hulu to Disney
by Luke Bouma on September 24, 2018

Recently FOX agreed to sell most of 21st Century FOX to Disney. This deal includes their 30% control of Hulu that would give Disney 60% of the streaming service. Now it is being reported that Comcast is also willing to sell their 30% stake of Hulu to Disney giving Disney 90% control over Hulu.

This all comes from a report over at CNBC that reports that unnamed sources have told them Comcast is willing to discuss the sale of their 30% stake of Hulu after Disney closes on their 21st Century Fox sale. This will mean the only other owner of Hulu will be AT&T with their 10% stake they purchased with the sale of Time Warner. Now AT&T’s 10% is a non-voting share so Disney will effectively have full control over Hulu.

Comcast only recently got board seats on the Hulu board. Now with Disney about to get a 60% stake in Hulu, Comcast’s 30% stake is about to become mostly a formality with little control over the company. This may be why Comcast is willing to sell off their share of Hulu. Comcast may be also looking for cash to help cover the cost of their recent deal to buy Sky.

Don’t look for this to happen anytime soon. Right now Disney still needs to close on their deal with FOX. Well, they have DOJ approval there are still many steps to go before that deal can close. Look for a possible Comcast and Disney deal to happen in very late 2019 or more likely in 2019.
Old 09-24-18, 12:23 PM

I think this would be highly beneficial to Disney.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.