Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Criterion Channel -- streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-18, 02:29 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
The Criterion Channel -- streaming service

We are incredibly touched and encouraged by the flood of support we’ve been receiving since the announcement that FilmStruck will be shutting down on November 29, 2018. Our thanks go out to everyone who signed petitions, wrote letters and newspaper articles, and raised your voices to let the world know how much our mission and these movies matter to you.

Well, if you loved the curated programming we’ve been doing with our friends at FilmStruck, we have good news for you. The Criterion Collection team is going to be carrying on with that mission, launching the Criterion Channel as a freestanding service in spring 2019.

We’ve been trying to make something a little different for the past two years—a movie lover’s dream streaming service, with smart thematic programming, where the history of cinema can live and breathe, where a new generation of filmmakers and film lovers can explore the classics or revel in rarities, where adventurous cinephiles can champion films that have never gotten their due, and newcomers can easily find guidance from major filmmakers, top scholars, curators, and other experts from all walks of life.

The Criterion Channel will be picking up where the old service left off, programming director spotlights and actor retrospectives featuring major Hollywood and international classics and hard-to-find discoveries from around the world, complete with special features like commentaries, behind-the-scenes footage, and original documentaries. We will continue with our guest programmer series, Adventures in Moviegoing. Our regular series like Art-House America, Split Screen, and Meet the Filmmakers, and our Ten Minutes or Less section will all live on, along with Tuesday’s Short + Feature and the Friday Night Double Feature, and of course our monthly fifteen-minute film school, Observations on Film Art.

Our library will also be available through WarnerMedia’s new consumer platform when it launches late next year, so once both services are live, Criterion fans will have even more ways to find the films they love.

We will be starting from scratch, with no subscribers, so we will need all the help we can get. The most valuable thing you can do to help now is go to Criterion.com/channel (https://www.criterion.com/channel) and sign up to be a Charter Subscriber, then tell your friends to sign up too. We need everyone who was a FilmStruck subscriber or who’s been tweeting and signing petitions and writing letters to come out and to sign up for the new service. We can’t do it without you!
Old 11-16-18, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: The Criterion Channel -- streaming service

I'm in!
Old 11-16-18, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YES!!! Screw Warner/ATT. Everything in my flmstruck queue was Criterion. They can take whatever smattering of movies they will sprinkle into their mega-bundle and shove it.
Old 11-16-18, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

This will probably appeal more to the hardcore cinephiles. Criterion isn't for everyone.

There are some Criterion titles I'd like to watch but don't have the money to buy.
Old 11-16-18, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

How much was filmstruck? I'm leery of subscribing to things like this that are more focused than something like Netflix or hulu.
Old 11-16-18, 05:28 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

$11 a month? I'll pass.
Old 11-16-18, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

I’ll have to pass too. Criterion mixed with the Turner Library was the main selling point to me with Filmstruck. Bummer.
Old 11-16-18, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Read the fine print. If you get in there now, with the early deal, it's only $8.99 per month or $89.99 per year. That's a phenomenal rate. Cheapskates.
Old 11-16-18, 09:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Expensive as shit, those are Netflix/Hulu rates.
Old 11-16-18, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not if you get in there early. It'd be only $7.49 per month if you paid for the year.
Old 11-16-18, 10:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Ha, I don’t pay full year for Hulu or Netflix either.
Old 11-16-18, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit
Ha, I don’t pay full year for Hulu or Netflix either.

Neither do I. But in order to get the deal in place set by CC, you pay it in full for a year. Do it month to month and you're paying $30 more per year. And that's if you do it with the early access. If you wait longer then it goes up more per year/month.

You're also getting that extra 1 month for free, so it's really 13 months for $89. That knocks the grand total down even lower for early access to $6.84 per month.

Yeah, they're price gouging now.
Old 11-17-18, 12:54 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
You're also getting that extra 1 month for free, so it's really 13 months for $89. That knocks the grand total down even lower for early access to $6.84 per month.

Yeah, they're price gouging now.
It's less than $0.25 a day. Only $0.01 an hour. They're practically giving it away!

If they actually had a plan for $6.84/month, I might sign-up. But I'm not paying $89.99.
Old 11-17-18, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
It's less than $0.25 a day. Only $0.01 an hour. They're practically giving it away!

If they actually had a plan for $6.84/month, I might sign-up. But I'm not paying $89.99.
Then don't pay it but to say that it's overpriced, though, is a load of crap. It's not.
Old 11-17-18, 10:31 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I signed up for the charter plan, but will have to think about it before locking in/paying. I have a majority of their titles in disc, but the bonus content, and perhaps not having to buy new releases, might be worth ~$7 a month to me.
Old 11-18-18, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

If I ever lived in a world where $9/month for unlimited Criterion streaming is "expensive as shit"
Old 11-18-18, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I think the real issue is that there are simply way too many entertainment options now fighting for everyone's time and money. Sure the Criterion Channel will appeal to a lot of hardcore film fans, but if you don't think you will make the most of the money you put into it, it's not probably worth it. The Criterion channel is going to fight for time with your Netflix, HBO, Showtime, Hulu and Prime subscriptions among others.
Old 11-19-18, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
If I ever lived in a world where $9/month for unlimited Criterion streaming is "expensive as shit"
Originally Posted by DJariya
I think the real issue is that there are simply way too many entertainment options now fighting for everyone's time and money. Sure the Criterion Channel will appeal to a lot of hardcore film fans, but if you don't think you will make the most of the money you put into it, it's not probably worth it. The Criterion channel is going to fight for time with your Netflix, HBO, Showtime, Hulu and Prime subscriptions among others.
Exactly. It’s not that it’s too expensive necessarily. But you just have to factor in all the variables that are unique to each person. I own hundreds of Criterions on disc, have several other streaming plans, and only watch an hour or two of TV a day. Is $9/7 dollars a month expensive for what will probably average a few hours of viewing a month? Maybe it is for me. It just depends mostly on how much you’re going to watch, imo.

Last edited by Trevor; 11-19-18 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-19-18, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But hey let's spend hundreds of $$$ on the 50% off B&N sale for CC BD's(of which I have in the past)! How is it any different than that? It's not. Doesn't your physical media fight for your time against your digital media formats?

Same shit, different drink. Now for the price of one CC BD, you can get about 4 months worth of the CC channel.
Old 11-19-18, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
But hey let's spend hundreds of $$$ on the 50% off B&N sale for CC BD's(of which I have in the past)! How is it any different than that? It's not. Doesn't your physical media fight for your time against your digital media formats?

Same shit, different drink. Now for the price of one CC BD, you can get about 4 months worth of the CC channel.
Follow that train of thought too far and then there is enough free over the air content to satisfy everyone! Get your hands off my things Blu!
Old 11-19-18, 12:27 PM

Ingrained in my mind is the old Blockbuster rental price from when I was a kid...about $3.25 per rental.

If I think I'm going to watch that equivalent of stuff on a service each month that comes up to their monthly fee I'll give it a go. So if a service is $10 a month and I think I'll find three blockbuster rentals worth of stuff to watch on there a month, then it seems like a pretty good deal to me.
Old 11-19-18, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by piranesi
Ingrained in my mind is the old Blockbuster rental price from when I was a kid...about $3.25 per rental.

If I think I'm going to watch that equivalent of stuff on a service each month that comes up to their monthly fee I'll give it a go. So if a service is $10 a month and I think I'll find three blockbuster rentals worth of stuff to watch on there a month, then it seems like a pretty good deal to me.

And it's actually cheaper than that, because how many days would you get on a Blockbuster rental, 2-3 days? The CC channel is even less.
Old 11-19-18, 04:01 PM

I justify a lot of smaller niche services like this. Night Flight is like $4.00 a month so I figure if I only watch one thing on it a month I'm still breaking even on the Blockbuster scale.
Old 11-19-18, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I get what you're saying. I don't get any universe in which a measly $9 monthly charge, on top of any and all entertainment options (not just streaming), in which you have access to unlimited Criterion titles, is [and I quote] "expensive as shit".

That's not some snobbish, financial elitist comment, but it's just staggering to me in its dismissive-ness. If you value this library of titles, nine bucks is nothing. One trip to a fast food joint, at best.
Old 11-19-18, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

It's good to read that they're 'hoping' to roll this out in the US and Canada, at launch.

For those that had FilmStruck, how complete was the selection of titles?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.