Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Hulu -- News and Notable New additions

Old 08-07-19, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Hulu -- News and Notable New additions

Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
If there is no option to bundle the ad-free Hulu then I will continue to pay for the ad-free version as i have been doing for years and will get any Disney product via alternative methods. If they don't want my money so be it.
Disney Plus is only $6.99/month or $69 for a year. You really can't afford that? They have so many movies and shows along with catalog content planned for the next 2 years. I'm excited for it.

You're already paying $11.99/month for ad-free Hulu. I know you have kids and that will probably be a good thing to have.

My guess is they are using the ad supported version to help recoup some of the costs of this.
Old 08-07-19, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Disney Plus is only $6.99/month or $69 for a year. You really can't afford that? They have so many movies and shows along with catalog content planned for the next 2 years. I'm excited for it.

You're already paying $11.99/month for ad-free Hulu. I know you have kids and that will probably be a good thing to have.
I honestly can't even afford the $11.99 a month for Hulu honestly but keep it because I don't have cable and I binge-watch stuff since I have no social life. My kids (who are 20 and 14 btw) don't live with me nor do they come to my apartment. They use my account at their house out of convenience but my ex has Hulu as well and could just as easily create user names for them. They just use mine because it has their history and stuff and it is habit. For me personally $6.99 is not worth what Disney has to offer when I sometimes have to go without eating for days as I have nothing in my refrigerator and no money to buy anything until my next paycheck. For me Hulu without ads is worth that sacrifice, Disney and ESPN are not. That may change at some point but as of now that is the situation.

Speaking of ESPN? That is another $4.99. So I would end up paying a total of $23.97 just to remove ads from Hulu only to get the same content that people can get for $12.99? If they offered a bundle in the $16-18 range I might get it but they are not which was my point.
Old 08-07-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
I honestly can't even afford the $11.99 a month for Hulu honestly but keep it because I don't have cable and I binge-watch stuff since I have no social life. My kids (who are 20 and 14 btw) don't live with me nor do they come to my apartment. They use my account at their house out of convenience but my ex has Hulu as well and could just as easily create user names for them. They just use mine because it has their history and stuff and it is habit. For me personally $6.99 is not worth what Disney has to offer when I sometimes have to go without eating for days as I have nothing in my refrigerator and no money to buy anything until my next paycheck. For me Hulu without ads is worth that sacrifice, Disney and ESPN are not. That may change at some point but as of now that is the situation.

Speaking of ESPN? That is another $4.99. So I would end up paying a total of $23.97 just to remove ads from Hulu only to get the same content that people can get for $12.99? If they offered a bundle in the $16-18 range I might get it but they are not which was my point.
First off, I hope this is a temporary situation for you UncleJosh and that money frees up, at least a little. Personally I'd think eating would be more important than ads, as much as I absolutely hate Hulu ads. But I understand where you're coming from.

I'm pretty sure this is just to combat Netflix by offering this value for the same price. If you're savvy enough to not want ads and you have the extra cash to do so, you'll probably just pay extra unbundled. I think even the deals they have with Spotify and the like are only for with-ads hulu, and never an option to pay extra to upgrade.

And honestly, even though I love sports, ESPN+ is just a value ad throwin for me, there's no way I'd pay five bucks a month separately for that, at least in its current state. It seems to me like it's a way to drive up the subscriber base to ESPN+.
Old 08-07-19, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, I don't want this thread to turn into a discussion of my personal life. I was just trying to provide context. For me the principal of the matter regarding the lack of a bundle for an ad free version is really my issue on top of not thinking that Disney and ESPN are worth the full price for each of their subscriptions.

I do not subscribe to any service that only provides content owned by that single provider. Which is why I think Netflix and Hulu are worth the money even though I no longer have my own Netflix subscription. Hulu is the only one i have currently and that is because of the catalog and also they provide next day airings of some shows I watch. I know that some of these will most likely be moving to their own content owners streaming service in the future at which point I may reconsider Hulu altogether.

For most the bundle is an awesome deal especially if you don't have any of them begin with. For me the lack of a reasonably priced bundle for ad free Hulu means I will forgo the other services as they are not worth full price to me. It is that simple.
Old 08-07-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh that's right. I had forgotten that you had some personal issues that was affecting your well being. I won't go into it any further as I know it's a touchy subject. Apologies for getting into that.

So I understand that you can't frivolously spend money on entertainment, so some things like Disney and ESPN are not that important.
Old 08-07-19, 05:18 PM

How many ads does Hulu have these days? Like during a 60-minute show. How many ad breaks and how long is each break? Are they placed in proper commercial spots, or do they happen randomly in the middle of a scene?

It's been a few years since I watched Hulu with ads. Back then it was really obnoxious with random ad spots and long breaks of the same commercial played 5-6 times in a row.
Old 08-07-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
random ad spots and long breaks of the same commercial played 5-6 times in a row.
Pretty sure this is still the case.

Old 08-07-19, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No way I could go back to ads on Hulu, and even if I could, my wife could not, so thats a non starter.
Old 08-07-19, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is there some kind of algorithm that varies ads depending on what shows you watch/how long you're watching, or is it like you watch X show and it's got Y number of ads every single time?
Old 08-07-19, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was interested in the bundle until you had to get the ad supported version. I don't want to watch six Old Navy Christmas commercials in a row (That's what I saw last time I used Hulu with ads). I'll subscribe to Disney Plus. I might try out ESPN Plus for a month just so I can watch Peyton's Places, but I have no desire to watch it besides that.
Old 08-07-19, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

I have Hulu with ads. For the shows I watch, the ads always seem to fall into the natural ad breaks. The commercials don’t usually repeat in the same ad block, but they will often repeat in the next break.

My kids see the same ads enough that when one they haven’t seen airs they’ll chant “New ad! New ad!”
Old 08-07-19, 11:09 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

We had Hulu with ads for over a year and I never really noticed them. But then, my attention span is darn short, so I like occasional breaks for DVDtalk or such.
Old 08-11-19, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hadn't watched BTVS in over a year so I go to Hulu this morning and on the front page was BTVS season 7 ep. 1(the one that I was watching next). What are the odd's of that happening?