Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

Old 03-26-14, 05:54 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 16,143
What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

Amazon HD is 720p and Vudu HDX is 1080p (I figure Vudu HD is 720p?). Anyone know the quality of Target HD? Thanks!
GatorDeb is offline  
Old 03-26-14, 03:17 PM
  #2  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,334
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

Target HD is 720p (Adaptive H.264 1.6/3.0/5.0 Mbps). The audio is Stereo AAC 192 Kbps.

You can find this info on the Roku. Go to any Target Ticket listing and look under "reviews, captions, & more". There's a page for "technical details".
TheBigDave is offline  
Old 03-26-14, 03:24 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 16,143
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

Thanks! I looked at the Target Ticket FAQs and didn't find it. I guess no Target Ticket for me, if there's 1080p available I'm trying to hold off 720p. Target Ticket seems to have good sales (i.e. Harry Potter 1-8 for $55).
GatorDeb is offline  
Old 03-26-14, 03:31 PM
  #4  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,334
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

If the movies are UV-compatible at both Target Ticket and Vudu, you can buy them at one service and watch them on another. I bought No One Lives and Kon Tiki last month when they were on sale at Target Ticket. They imported into my Vudu library.
TheBigDave is offline  
Old 03-26-14, 03:36 PM
  #5  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,334
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Target Ticket seems to have good sales (i.e. Harry Potter 1-8 for $55).
If you're planning to get Harry Potter, you'd probably be better off buying used DVDs and converting them in a batch for $2.50 each. Check your local library, I bet they have those DVDs.
TheBigDave is offline  
Old 03-26-14, 03:51 PM
  #6  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,063
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

Library? They don't confirm you actually own the title before converting?
Trevor is offline  
Old 03-26-14, 04:17 PM
  #7  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,334
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Library? They don't confirm you actually own the title before converting?
If you're using the D2D software, you just need to put the disc in the drive. There's no way to determine if it's borrowed or rented.
TheBigDave is offline  
Old 03-26-14, 05:01 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
MrSmearkase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ayer, MA
Posts: 5,251
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

/\ Yep, that's exactly what I do.
MrSmearkase is offline  
Old 03-26-14, 05:59 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 16,143
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
If the movies are UV-compatible at both Target Ticket and Vudu, you can buy them at one service and watch them on another. I bought No One Lives and Kon Tiki last month when they were on sale at Target Ticket. They imported into my Vudu library.

But if you buy 720p HD at Target don't you get 720p HD at Vudu instead of 1080p HDX?
GatorDeb is offline  
Old 03-26-14, 06:20 PM
  #10  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,334
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
But if you buy 720p HD at Target don't you get 720p HD at Vudu instead of 1080p HDX?
No, Ultraviolet only tracks whether a movie is SD or HD. If you have an HD movie in your UV account, you'll get HDX at Vudu.

I've bought two HD movies at Target Ticket. And got the HDX versions in my Vudu library.
TheBigDave is offline  
Old 03-26-14, 06:32 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 16,143
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

Ooooohhhh that's awesome, thanks!

Once you "redeem" a disc to digital does it do anything to that disc so that it can't be redeemed again? Does each disc come with a unique code that can be stored in a database as redeemed?
GatorDeb is offline  
Old 03-26-14, 07:49 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
MrSmearkase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ayer, MA
Posts: 5,251
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

/\ Not a thing, as long as you downlaod their app and do it at home.

I have heard that if you bring the disc to Walmart, they stamp it, however. It is just easier to do it at home, IMO.

Keep an eye on the trade forums, too. A lot of people sell or trade Vudu credits that can be applied to D2D.
MrSmearkase is offline  
Old 03-26-14, 08:31 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 16,143
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

Thank you all for the responses this has been a most enlightening thread
GatorDeb is offline  
Old 03-27-14, 11:28 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 1,024
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

For the VUDU converted movies - if I want to watch on an ipad, is the only option to stream, or can you view it off-line on the ipad?
bahgee is offline  
Old 03-27-14, 01:52 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 16,143
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

Someone said Vudu gives you an option to back up your movies... how?
GatorDeb is offline  
Old 03-27-14, 04:24 PM
  #16  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,334
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

Originally Posted by bahgee View Post
For the VUDU converted movies - if I want to watch on an ipad, is the only option to stream, or can you view it off-line on the ipad?
You can download movies using the iPad app. You can download to iPhones too.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...wnload-support
TheBigDave is offline  
Old 03-27-14, 04:36 PM
  #17  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,334
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Someone said Vudu gives you an option to back up your movies... how?
They're probably talking about downloading the movie. You can do that using the VuduToGo software. You can also do it from the Vudu website. If you have a PS3, you can download movies to the hard drive.

Unfortunately, movies can't be transferred from one device to another. And when you download movies to your PC, they're stored on your main hard drive.

UV is working on something called CFF (Common File Format) which should allow you to download the movie, store it anywhere and transfer it to any compatible device. But it's been "coming soon" for a long time. At this point, I think it's probably just vaporware.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 03-27-14 at 08:24 PM.
TheBigDave is offline  
Old 03-27-14, 09:13 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 1,024
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
You can download movies using the iPad app. You can download to iPhones too.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...wnload-support
Awesome, thanks!
bahgee is offline  
Old 03-27-14, 09:31 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 20,989
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
UV is working on something called CFF (Common File Format) which should allow you to download the movie, store it anywhere and transfer it to any compatible device. But it's been "coming soon" for a long time. At this point, I think it's probably just vaporware.
I wouldn't hold your breath for CFF. The studios don't want to make piracy even easier for casual customers.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 03-28-14, 03:37 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 16,143
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
They're probably talking about downloading the movie. You can do that using the VuduToGo software. You can also do it from the Vudu website. If you have a PS3, you can download movies to the hard drive.

Unfortunately, movies can't be transferred from one device to another. And when you download movies to your PC, they're stored on your main hard drive.

UV is working on something called CFF (Common File Format) which should allow you to download the movie, store it anywhere and transfer it to any compatible device. But it's been "coming soon" for a long time. At this point, I think it's probably just vaporware.
Thanks They said they were ok with going with UV because if Walmart ever folded it they still had their backups. I don't think UV is folding
GatorDeb is offline  
Old 03-28-14, 04:58 AM
  #21  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,334
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Thanks They said they were ok with going with UV because if Walmart ever folded it they still had their backups. I don't think UV is folding
The movie files you download from Vudu are encrypted. So if Wal-Mart closed the Vudu service, the backups won't do you any good. You wouldn't be able to watch them.

What they probably meant was that if Wal-Mart closed Vudu, you could still watch your UV movies on another UV-compatible service like Flixster, CinemaNow, M-Go, Target Ticket, Nook Video, etc.
TheBigDave is offline  
Old 03-28-14, 05:22 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 16,143
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
The movie files you download from Vudu are encrypted. So if Wal-Mart closed the Vudu service, the backups won't do you any good. You wouldn't be able to watch them.

What they probably meant was that if Wal-Mart closed Vudu, you could still watch your UV movies on another UV-compatible service like Flixster, CinemaNow, M-Go, Target Ticket, Nook Video, etc.
There'd be no need to back them up, though, they just appear in all the other ones.
GatorDeb is offline  
Old 03-31-14, 03:01 AM
  #23  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

The quality of target HD is 720p.
martinheins34 is offline  
Old 03-31-14, 12:09 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Mikael79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: IA Now, From MN
Posts: 5,907
Re: What is the picture quality of Target Ticket HD?

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase View Post
/\ Yep, that's exactly what I do.
Heathen! Anyhow, back to checking my holds at the public library.
Mikael79 is offline  
Old 04-02-14, 04:51 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
I can't imagine why Walmart would close Vudu.
hanshotfirst1138 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.