DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/618872-amazon-fire-tv-streaming-devices.html)

Quack 11-19-14 09:41 PM

Re: Amazon Fire TV Stick

Got mine today, will be firing it up shortly!

RichC2 11-20-14 04:48 PM

Pros: This is a pretty powerful little stick, supports casting from the YouTube and Netflix android apps.
Cons: Android still makes for a clunky TV interface on quite a few apps. Interface in general could use a little work. Can't cast from laptop (youtube).
Mid: Plex casting is supported, but only if the App is actively loaded.

If emulators (NES, Genesis) run well on here, I can see this being very, very popular. As a Media Player, I still find the Roku to be a touch better due to the interface, though this was $20 and those are $64 refurbished.

InnocentBlood 11-21-14 12:44 AM

re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

just wanted to share some info for those of us who are having trouble with the netflix app on the amazon fire tv. my netflix app broke & disappeared from my app library after the latest firmware update for the amazon fire tv.

and it wouldn't let me download & install the latest version of the netflix app either.

so all you need to do is to deregister & register your amazon fire tv. next, you will find that you can download & install the latest version of the netflix app.

Navinabob 11-21-14 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Philly30 (Post 12199949)
Is there a way to access podcasts on firetv?

Yes you can. PM me if you want details

Eddie W 11-21-14 08:37 PM

I just got mine today & am not impressed. At all. First I tried watching The Avengers on Amazon Prime. And the picture quality is MUCH worse than streaming from prime on both my Blu Ray player & Kindle Fire HDX. Blocky & fuzzy. I've got healthy bandwidth & get perfection from the other two devices. Then I tried Showtime Anytime & apparently DirecTV is not a supported provider. Even though they are on the Kindle.

So the two main reasons I bought this thing are out the window. Then I tried casting You Tube from my Kindle & of course, it was unable to find the webpage to set it up. Maybe I'll try that again later. But so far, I'm glad I didn't lay out more than $20 for this thing.

E Unit 11-22-14 12:22 PM

Mine works perfectly fine. I'm happy with it, especially at the $20 price point.

GatorDeb 11-22-14 10:48 PM

I'm so sad I missed the promo price :(

Rexxriot 11-22-14 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 12310995)
I'm so sad I missed the promo price :(

It's supposed to be $24 at Staples tomorrow and I think $25 at Best Buy. Not as good as $19, but better than $39.

Cardsfan111 11-22-14 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rexxriot (Post 12311009)
It's supposed to be $24 at Staples tomorrow and I think $25 at Best Buy. Not as good as $19, but better than $39.

And if that's the case, there's added value in not having to wait several more weeks to receive the cheaper one from Amazon.

Why So Blu? 11-23-14 12:26 AM

Mine shipped tonight, so it should be here by Monday or Tuesday.

Vipper II 11-23-14 09:52 AM

I absolutely love this thing, especially considering I paid just $20. It's light years better (and faster) than the Roku stick. Even at the full price it's a spectacular option for someone who wants basic streaming.

Easy 11-23-14 10:12 AM

The USPS delivered mine today... on SUNDAY. I couldn't believe it. I'll try it as soon as I recover from the shock.

RichC2 11-23-14 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Easy (Post 12311231)
The USPS delivered mine today... on SUNDAY. I couldn't believe it. I'll try it as soon as I recover from the shock.

Aye: http://www.foxbusiness.com/industrie...oliday-season/

Trevor 11-23-14 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Easy (Post 12311231)

I just got a text from Amazon that a package is on the carrier and being delivered today; hopefully it's my stick.

Gizmo 11-25-14 08:58 AM

WiFi on this thing sucks.

I have a normal Fire TV that is farther away from the router and it has never had a connection issue. The stick is close to my router yet it can't even load the entire menu without saying "disconnected". Garbage,

RichC2 11-25-14 09:01 AM

Are you using the 2.4 or 5ghz freq? I'm on the 2.4 and haven't had a single bit of trouble from right on top or across the house, but I've read some complaints on the Plex forums about the 5ghz freq.

A few days with this thing and it's still a nice device for $20, it won't be replacing my other devices though until they get a few things fixed (and I don't really like the main interface all that much). Still, for the price, no complaints, they'll make great gifts.

Gonna play around with sideloading this weekend, hopefully get a couple functional emulators running on it.

writer106 11-26-14 05:53 PM

I just got a message from Amazon. My Fire Stick was originally estimated to ship on December 31, now it's estimated to ship December 22. It does look like some people are getting their orders a little earlier than expected.

Trevor 11-26-14 05:58 PM

Just got mine, forget what the estimate was.

Going to bed soon, but perhaps I'll bring it to work and play with it there tomorrow.

tommyp007 11-26-14 07:28 PM

Not yet shipped
Delivery estimate: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 by 8pm

RichC2 11-26-14 07:38 PM

I bought a couple more from Best Buy as gifts, after afew days use, I have to say Plex sucks on here afterall (it's really buggy), and Hulu is slow for some reason.

wmansir 11-28-14 03:53 PM

I just picked one up on Staples.com. It's $74, expires tomorrow.

Question: Will I be able to install Fire TV compatible apps that I already own in the Amazon appstore? Or is there a separate FireTV app store?

RichC2 11-28-14 04:47 PM

It's a different app store, but any purchases associated with your account will be available on the Fire TV, if the app is available for Fire TV. So if you bought Plex, you will have it on your Fire TV too.

wmansir 11-28-14 04:53 PM

Cool, thanks for the response.

Rexxriot 11-30-14 12:25 PM

Mine shipped today. It ended up shipping out about a week and a half earlier than they originally estimated. I'm looking forward to checking this out. I liked the Fire TV when they had the free trial, I just didn't want to pay $99 for it. For $19, I couldn't say no. Plus, I had $5 credit, so it was only $15 after tax.

davidh777 12-01-14 02:15 PM

The Best Buy I went to was completely cleaned out. I forgot about Staples and drove right by one on my way to BB. :doh:

I'm still annoyed by the fact that this thing needs a power source rather than the USB port like the other sticks.