DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/618872-amazon-fire-tv-streaming-devices.html)

TheBigDave 04-02-14 11:17 AM

re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Outside of the voice search and android games, it doesn't have anything that my other streaming devices don't already do. And neither of those features are worth $99. I think I'll pass. Too bad it wasn't around $50.

Trevor 04-02-14 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 12065334)
how much, and does it come with a free year of Prime as speculated?

It's available for sale and pimped on their main page now. No free prime mentioned.

Trevor 04-02-14 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Easy (Post 12065371)
The voice search is nice but that is the only thing of interest to me that my Roku 3 doesn't have. Pass.

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 12065378)
Outside of the voice search and android games, it doesn't have anything that my other streaming devices don't already do. And neither of those features are worth $99. I think I'll pass. Too bad it wasn't around $50.

Same here. Not enough new to justify the price. Throw in a free year of Prime and I'd of course take it. The voice search would be cool, especially for my wife and kid. I don't see Android-level gaming to be all that great when we have iOS and consoles already.

This could be a great starter piece for someone new to streaming and console gaming.

dvdjunkie32 04-02-14 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 12065378)

Kinda meh for me too. I'm not that lazy that I can't punch a few buttons in a search bar versus using the voice search. Prime doesn't have that much content. Obviously, they want ppl to search and buy their digital content.

One thing that got my attention was the claim that you can share movies and photos from your tablet to the tv. That would be really cool to display home videos and facebook pics on the big screen. Not sure if that feature is only for Amazon's tablet.

TheBigDave 04-02-14 11:42 AM

Here's a review of the controller:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/f...epad-hands-on/

starseed1981 04-02-14 11:53 AM

I dunno. It just seems like between all the devices I already have, every feature of their device is already covered.

wmansir 04-02-14 11:57 AM

Another +1 for BigDave. It looks like Amazon is pricing this so that it makes sense for existing Prime subs who do or may want to watch VOD on their TV, but without that existing service in place it is not undercutting or significantly out performing other devices in the segment. Perhaps it is intentional so they can refine the product before positioning it for large scale adoption.

Shannon Nutt 04-02-14 12:23 PM

I ordered one, but mainly because I have a ton of Amazon credit to use.

The coolest feature may be the "fling" option - where anything you're viewing on your Kindle Fire can be thrown onto your TV screen. So basically if an app (like, say, HBO GO) is available on the Kindle but not on the Fire TV, you can still "fling" the video onto your TV if you have your Kindle in the room.

EddieMoney 04-02-14 12:31 PM

No thanks. I'll stick with my Roku.

Trevor 04-02-14 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 12065477)
I ordered one, but mainly because I have a ton of Amazon credit to use.

The coolest feature may be the "fling" option - where anything you're viewing on your Kindle Fire can be thrown onto your TV screen. So basically if an app (like, say, HBO GO) is available on the Kindle but not on the Fire TV, you can still "fling" the video onto your TV if you have your Kindle in the room.

That's interesting. Not just on the newest HDX ones?

Related, and maybe I missed it earlier, but I just noticed this morning that I can now download Prime content to my Fire.

RichC2 04-02-14 01:03 PM

If I didn't already have a Roku 3 I might be tempted, but honestly it's just so incredibly un-remarkable. Nice specs though. Has a lot of future potential. The price is appropriate but it simply doesn't stand out.

Trevor 04-02-14 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12065536)
If I didn't already have a Roku 3 I might be tempted, but honestly it's just so incredibly un-remarkable. Nice specs though. Has a lot of future potential. The price is appropriate but it simply doesn't stand out.

Yeah, no way they are raising that price anytime soon; and if it's anything like their Kindles they'll have it marked down soon. Even if I wanted it now I'd wait for the inevitable sale or perk thrown in with it.

Hokeyboy 04-02-14 01:27 PM

No streaming local media? No sale.

TGM 04-02-14 01:31 PM

even tho I have a Roku 3 I'd consider it if it was around $70 AND came with the controller. At $140, for what it offers over the Roku, it just isn't worth it.

Dan 04-02-14 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12065536)

I have a Roku 2, and I feel the same way. Even if I really wanted the bump in performance, I'd go with a Roku 3 over the FireTV. This device is clearly aimed at people who still don't already have a Roku or Apple TV.

I think the FireTV looks good, but not good enough to replace what I've already got.

Mr. Salty 04-02-14 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 12065558)
No streaming local media? No sale.

It has Plex, so you can stream local media.

Mr. Cinema 04-02-14 02:03 PM

Too bad it lacks Vudu and HBO Go, at least for now. Amazon's Instant Video does have some HD titles that Vudu doesn't have that aren't on Blu-ray yet, so I may give it a try.

Shannon Nutt 04-02-14 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12065507)
That's interesting. Not just on the newest HDX ones?

Sorry for not clarifying - yes, it's only on the HDX models.

GatorDeb 04-02-14 02:25 PM

In for $140 for box and remote on May 11th :) I have Prime, Netflix, and Hulu, and the voice search sounds great and I have a Fire, the flinging sounds great.

Mr. Cinema 04-02-14 06:49 PM

I decided to order 2. My bedroom BD players have awful wi-fi so hopefully the Fire will do a much better job. It's lacking Vudu right now, but at least it offers Flixster which I don't have access to outside of my computer. They also have some HD titles not on Vudu such as The Truman Show. Looking forward to trying it out.

musick 04-02-14 07:38 PM

Amazon should get back to being an etailer not Google or ebay

TheBigDave 04-02-14 07:39 PM

Here's a preview of upcoming games from Amazon Games Studios:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZlVLhqj1weY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheBigDave 04-02-14 07:45 PM

Engadget has a good write-up:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/a...h-the-fire-tv/

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oEGWrYtOOvg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheBigDave 04-02-14 07:48 PM

If you're buying this make sure you add an HDMI cable, because it's not included.

Alan Smithee 04-02-14 11:03 PM

Too bad you can't get FyreTV on FireTV.