DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/618872-amazon-fire-tv-streaming-devices.html)

dvd-4-life 02-03-20 04:29 PM

Re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

It's a Toshiba.

OldBoy 02-03-20 07:24 PM

i know i asked this before, but is there anyway to shut off an Amazon firestick while plugged in HDMI of TV or because TV is on the firestick is powered always? i can put it to sleep, but it thats very temporary. i just want to shut off while tv is on and only on when i use. thanks in advance.

MLBFan24 02-03-20 07:54 PM

Shut off is not an option if the device's power cord is still plugged in. You'll have to unplug the power cord if you want it "off"

I usually put mine to sleep, and when I switch to another input channel (to use the BD player for example), I assume it's still asleep. Other than that, I can't tell if it's still asleep or not, since there's no light indicator on the device itself.

I understand when I switch back to the Firestick input, the home screen should show up right away. I selected the Firestick input, thus, it should "awake" from sleep mode.

OldBoy 02-03-20 09:00 PM

Yeah, figured. I guess ok. Just don’t want to burn it out or something. I guess it’s fine. When I hit inputs on my tv it shows all inputs that are active and that input called Firestick, almost always shows as active...

RichC2 02-03-20 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life (Post 13682013)
It's a Toshiba.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...6621252e3a.jpg

Does that work?

dvd-4-life 02-04-20 05:47 AM

Yeah I messed with that before and nothing happened ,however I didn't know if you shut it off then it might work.

I will try it next time I watch a laserdisc or DVD-R.

Thanks.

slybone 02-01-21 05:59 AM

So, for the last month or so my Amazon Fire Streaming Stick (the regular one, not the 4K one) has been giving me problems when streaming Amazon Prime or IMDb TV (which is kinda lumped in with Prime you might say). Lately when I start a stream on either of these platforms the video immediately becomes jerky and jumpy and the audio almost always falls out of sync with the video. Usually if I hit the back button to bump it back 10 seconds then they sync back up, but then they usually fall right back out of sync soon after. This problem does not seem to happen on any other app, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Peacock, Disney+, etc all seem to play fine on the stick, and Amazon Prime seems to play fine when I use the TV’s built in Amazon app, so it does seem like the FireStick is the problem. I have made sure several times that it is up to date with software, and restarted the stick a few times which doesn’t seem to help. I also own a 4K FireStick that is connected to another TV, and that one seems to work flawlessly, so it seems like the problem is this one FireStick.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

fujishig 02-01-21 09:06 AM

Have you tried resetting it?

I had a different problem (and it is a recurring one) where the thing just runs out of space and no amount of deleting apps or anything will free it up. The only thing I could do was completely reset it, which is a hassle because you then have to redo all your logins and whatever. There might be something else that just builds up over time on the stick and their garbage collection or cleanup just doesn't do the trick.

bacigalup 02-01-21 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13884038)
Have you tried resetting it?

I had a different problem (and it is a recurring one) where the thing just runs out of space and no amount of deleting apps or anything will free it up. The only thing I could do was completely reset it, which is a hassle because you then have to redo all your logins and whatever. There might be something else that just builds up over time on the stick and their garbage collection or cleanup just doesn't do the trick.

You may need to clear cache for each app that you use to clear up storage.

Check out this video:

fujishig 02-01-21 01:52 PM

The problem I had was even if you added up all the caches and even deleted a bunch of apps, the storage did not free up. I have the same issue with their android tablets where an increasing amount of space is consumed by the mysterious "other" that cannot be erased by normal methods.

slybone 02-01-21 02:39 PM

^Thanks to both of you fellas for your input! What seems to have fixed my problem was clearing the data and cache from those 2 apps, which was fast and easy to do.

Thanks again to both of you!

slybone 02-06-21 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by slybone (Post 13884341)
^Thanks to both of you fellas for your input! What seems to have fixed my problem was clearing the data and cache from those 2 apps, which was fast and easy to do.

Thanks again to both of you!

Quoting my own post to say that my audio sync issues are back with my FireStick, Found a few YT videos on the subject but none of the suggestions seem to completely fix the problem. I guess I’ll keep doing some trial and error and hopefully figure it out!

fujishig 02-06-21 01:44 PM

BTW, further proof that it's not the apps that are causing the critical storage low problems that I have been having: upon a recommendation online, I deregistered and re-registered my firestick with my account. That freed up more than 2 gigs of space on the stick. That's doesn't seem so big but it only has 5 gigs of space total. Ridiculous. They aren't doing proper cleanup of some kind, maybe all those ads they continually push to the devices that you can't turn off.

slybone 02-07-21 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13886951)
BTW, further proof that it's not the apps that are causing the critical storage low problems that I have been having: upon a recommendation online, I deregistered and re-registered my firestick with my account. That freed up more than 2 gigs of space on the stick. That's doesn't seem so big but it only has 5 gigs of space total. Ridiculous. They aren't doing proper cleanup of some kind, maybe all those ads they continually push to the devices that you can't turn off.

So please tell me, what does your FireStick do (or doesn’t do) when you run low or run out of storage? Does it operate more clunky? More freezing, errors, etc? Or does it just not work at all?

I’m curious because I think our problems might be more related than I previously thought. Just brainstorming.

fujishig 02-07-21 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by slybone (Post 13887190)
So please tell me, what does your FireStick do (or doesn’t do) when you run low or run out of storage? Does it operate more clunky? More freezing, errors, etc? Or does it just not work at all?

I’m curious because I think our problems might be more related than I previously thought. Just brainstorming.

It does seem to lag a bit, but it is very noticeable because once it gets to below a certain percentage it'll start popping up with critical errors saying you don't have enough space. When it gets to that point, sometimes apps won't work.

Just check the storage that's used and if it's anywhere close to full, try unregistering (under account) then registering with your amazon account again. It doesn't wipe out any data besides stuff like "recently used" so it won't hurt.

slybone 02-07-21 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13887288)
It does seem to lag a bit, but it is very noticeable because once it gets to below a certain percentage it'll start popping up with critical errors saying you don't have enough space. When it gets to that point, sometimes apps won't work.

Just check the storage that's used and if it's anywhere close to full, try unregistering (under account) then registering with your amazon account again. It doesn't wipe out any data besides stuff like "recently used" so it won't hurt.

I still have approximately 40% of storage space left, so looks like I don’t quite need to do that yet. Thanks so much for the info!

OldBoy 02-25-21 06:56 PM

Why will my Alexa cube not only turn on series x, but will launch a specific game with my voice. It can turn on and off, tv, audio system and cable box and change channels by saying name of channel. Not number, but if I say ESPN it changes to my cable boxes ESPN. Tv is Sony.

Why won’t it turn on my regular ole Sony Blu-ray player?

It’ll change to its input with voice, but I can’t find a command to turn on and went through Alexa app on iPhone. It’ll change input, but not on and off. Everything else fine. Why?

fujishig 02-25-21 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13897085)
Why will my Alexa cube not only turn on series x, but will launch a specific game with my voice. It can turn on and off, tv, audio system and cable box and change channels by saying name of channel. Not number, but if I say ESPN it changes to my cable boxes ESPN. Tv is Sony.

Why won’t it turn on my regular ole Sony Blu-ray player?

It’ll change to its input with voice, but I can’t find a command to turn on and went through Alexa app on iPhone. It’ll change input, but not on and off. Everything else fine. Why?

Not to pry into your personal life, but I swear you used to post much more coherently before. Anything happen?

Read this page:

OldBoy 02-25-21 07:07 PM

^ I don’t understand. Was I not clear and cohesive? I’m rereading and don’t understand your post.

And your link doesn’t even mention players, but just odd, since it’s a common piece of entertainment equipment. And it’s newer than both tv and audio receiver...

fujishig 02-25-21 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13897095)
^ I don’t understand. Was I not clear and cohesive? I’m rereading and don’t understand your post.

And your link doesn’t even mention players, but just odd, since it’s a common piece of entertainment equipment. And it’s newer than both tv and audio receiver...

No, I mean you've been posting in fragments lately and not in complete sentences. You aren't clear at all. I can decipher what you're saying but I swear you used to post in complete sentences (maybe I'm mistaken).

Also, this is from that page. If you did a search on that page for "player" you'd have seen it. *sigh*

With Alexa on Fire TV Cube, can I control any other devices?
With Alexa on Fire TV Cube or Alexa Voice Remote (2nd Gen), you can also control compatible smart home devices like lights, locks, thermostats, and more through the cloud. Other types of devices including gaming consoles and media players (such as DVD and Blu-ray players) are not supported.

OldBoy 02-25-21 08:17 PM

But it says gaming consoles not and that’s obviously wrong. I can’t imagine why a simple Blu-ray player can’t be controlled.

Decker 02-25-21 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13897148)
But it says gaming consoles not and that’s obviously wrong. I can’t imagine why a simple Blu-ray player can’t be controlled.

You can't understand why brand new devises might integrate with other new devices but older devices listed specifically as incompatible don't?
Do you understand why an old record player or 8 track players don't?

OldBoy 02-25-21 10:04 PM

Huh? I said my Blu-ray player is much newer than audio system and tv. Those work. The older stuff. The newer Blu-ray does not.

How am I not making sense? (Seriously I’d like to know so I can correct).

I know I’m confused, but I’m not sure if it’s me or everyone giving me this advice. My head is bursting.

fujishig 02-26-21 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13897148)

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13897193)
Huh? I said my Blu-ray player is much newer than audio system and tv. Those work. The older stuff. The newer Blu-ray does not.

How am I not making sense? (Seriously I’d like to know so I can correct).

I know I’m confused, but I’m not sure if it’s me or everyone giving me this advice. My head is bursting.

It is definitely you.

It clearly says that the Cube cannot directly control game consoles and players. Why you choose to ignore that and continue to be confused is beyond me.

I understand that some of your confusion comes from the fact that Alexa can control your Series X. So let's think about that for a second. Your cube uses IR signals to control devices. You say you can say the name of a game and it opens up in the Series X. Does that sound like something an IR device (ie remote control) can do?

No, it's not. There is an Alexa skill that controls the Xbox. You probably even set it up yourself (I don't think it's on by default). That, and not your Fire Cube is what's controlling your Series X (the Cube is how you "talk" to Alexa but the commands are not going through IR... you can probably talk to Alexa through your smart phone and do the same thing). Your Blu-ray player probably doesn't have a compatible skill (or maybe it does, I have no idea, you'd have to actually look at the instructions or, I dunno, google it).

But again, the documentation clearly says it does not control players. If you want, go and buy a brand new player and try again though.

Apologies for the snark but c'mon now, blaming your confusion on the people who are trying to help you?

OldBoy 02-26-21 12:54 PM

I wasn’t blaming anyone. Believe me. I am thoroughly thankful to you and anyone else that helps me. You explained it can specifically do Xbox and not other consoles. That I understand. My confusion just came from the fact it can control all these things and not Blu-ray, but I understand. Thank you fuji. Sincerely and didn’t mean to blame anyone.

fujishig 04-01-21 03:50 PM

This new UI they just put on my firetv: maybe it's just because it's new and unfamiliar but I hate it. It seems like an obvious cash grab to give a more prominent position to "sponsored content" instead of, you know, actually improving the UI or making it easier to find things.

E Unit 04-01-21 04:10 PM

That’s why all things Amazon streaming hardware is dead to me. It took them years to do profiles, and now this new half-assed offering. I only see it because I use the Amazon app on my Roku TV.

OldBoy 04-01-21 06:56 PM

After having some time with Alexa and the cube and having it do so much stuff. It can open my garage door! I honestly think it’s the best gadget/electronic device I’ve bought in many many years. Honestly, since my first iPhone. That’s first, this second, then 3D TV, Xboxes, etc...

TomOpus 04-05-21 11:42 AM

New format doesn't bother me that much. Will be fairly easy to get familiar with.

mewmartigan 04-09-21 11:04 AM

Interfaces normally don't bother me but this isn't really an upgrade. There are still ads above and below your content except your content has now been shrunk down to 1/10 the size it was. Your stuff is essentially a small strip in the middle of ads galore. I do like that it is easier to get to settings though.

OldBoy 04-10-21 08:55 AM

i just realized Alexa can control live tv. stop, start, ff and rewind. freaking amazing it can do all that but not turn on my bluray player. oh well.

MLBFan24 11-14-21 12:53 PM

The new Fire Cube (2021) and Fire 4K Max devices are on sale at Amazon and Best Buy.

Fire Cube - $79.99 (lowest price the 2019 version was too, so I don’t anticipate it going lower for Black Friday)

Fire 4K Max - $34.99, higher CPU and GPU than the other 4K firestick devices, which should prolong the lifespan of the device after all the future firmware updates.

I bought the new Cube for myself. Needed a second Cube for my home office. My 2018 HD Firestick is so slow now and crashes a lot, even after reformatting it. And I bought the Max for a Christmas gift.

Alan Smithee 11-17-21 01:00 PM

I’ve currently got a Roku, Apple TV and Chromecast, all 4K models. Would I want one of these also?

E Unit 11-17-21 02:48 PM

My two cents is avoid it. Lousy UI, and since you have those others, you won’t get any new added value with an Amazon streamer.

Alan Smithee 11-17-21 07:57 PM

I got an older one on Black Friday more than 5 years ago and hardly used it- best thing on it was the games. Will have to test it out now and see if any apps work on it better than what I have- I’ve found some devices are best for some apps but not others. Chromecast is the only one I have for example that gets Atmos on Netflix, but it won’t get Atmos on HBO Max.

MLBFan24 11-17-21 11:37 PM

If you have those other 4K devices, you don’t need an Amazon one.

While the Fire device homepage is bloated with Amazon content, when you enter the apps (Hulu, Netflix, YouTube), you quickly forget about it.

whotony 11-22-21 09:19 PM

I have a 4K Firestick but a rarely use it as a steamer for the regular stuff.
We got one for the ability to side load apps and that works very well.

Rodney2187 11-28-21 02:33 PM

I've had two 4K Fire Sticks for a while, but needed a third and decided to try a Roku 4K stick. I prefer the menus on the Roku more, but the picture and sound quality are the same... except for... Prime. It looks great on the Fire Stick, but terrible on the Roku. Every other app on the Roku looks comparable to the Fire Stick, but even the thumbnails on the Prime app for Roku look bad. Is this intentional on the part of Amazon? Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

dvd-4-life 12-07-21 06:38 AM

Looks like the Roku Channel is now available on Amazon Fire TV(who would have thought it)?

I don't know if the pay channels are available because I just noticed it(I have Epix on Roku Channel).

fujishig 12-10-21 10:11 PM

So at least on my FireTV the interface changed and they removed the dedicated apps row from the homepage (the bar at the top is still there but only has like 6 displayed options). It's basically row after row of movie genres from all the apps without any indication of what's paid or not, so they are all but useless to me.