Reload this Page >

The Google Chromecast Thread

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Google Chromecast Thread

Old 12-16-13, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Google Chromecast Thread

It works great at tabcasting streaming live sports to my tv. For what I paid for it, it's been a great investment over the course of the football season.
Old 12-17-13, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

So I went ahead and bought one today from Amazon for $29.99. I'd like to be able to stream HBO Go and Max Go from my IPad. I know it supports HBO Go, but would MaxGo or Showtime Anytime be able to work on this as well?

I'd like to use it for HBO Go so I don't have to fire up my Xbox all the time when I want to stream say Girls or True Detective when that premieres should I not be able to record it. It will also save me DVR space from downloading the episodes on demand.

I'm not quite clear on how the video playing works. So it needs to be able to support the video app 1st? So Max Go may not work correct?
Old 12-17-13, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

While there are Wifi-limited ways you can stream any content from a web browser on your Laptop to a Chromecast, the only way you can stream an App from an iPad or Android Device is if it supports Chromecasting natively.

Max Go has not yet announced support, so that's a negative. Showtime Go will probably be added, as they tend to go where HBO Go goes.

For you, I'd almost imagine an Apple TV would be better since it can stream almost anything direct from the iPad. The Chromecast, while much better quality than an AirPlay from a non-native app, will still be limited to supported apps only.

The way it works is pretty simple. In Netflix you are given a Screen Selection icon, you select what device you want the video to playback on ( Chromecast, PS3, Roku, etc; ). In YouTube you pick your video and press the Cast icon, then select Chromecast. HBO Go is the same.

On a sidenote, the button generally only appears if a Chromecast is detected on your network.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/M9jA2km9TKM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Literally that's it.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-17-13 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-17-13, 12:08 PM

The Avia app works great. If you get showbox you can download the movie then cast it using Avia.
Old 12-27-13, 11:05 AM

Has anyone tried using pass through with the Xbox One? I only have 2 HDMI ports in my TB but have Chromecast, 360, and now an Xbox One so I am considering doing this.
Old 02-12-14, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Of course ads are coming to Chromecast, but not from the usual suspect
http://bgr.com/2014/02/12/chromecast-ads-coming-soon/

Brightcove on Wednesday announced it will offer developers a way for easily inserting ads in their iOS or Android apps that will have Chromecast support. The announcement follows the recent Google Cast SDK release, which will allow more developers to include Chromecast support in their existing and future applications.

Brightcove Once will let developers “quickly deploy and monetize feature-rich video on Chromecast, including personalized video ads.” Brightcove Once is apparently a “high-end delivery alternative” for ads that don’t require “client-side code, SDKs or plugins.”

The geo-targeted ads that can be integrated into the video stream without buffering will offer a “television-like” experience, Brightcove says in its press release, although that may not necessarily be what Chromecast buyers may be looking for. The company says it can offer developers various features including analytics, interactive video ads and a way of preventing fast-forwarding during ads playback.

Google’s popular digital content consumption dongle has been one of the best-sold devices of the company, with many developers anxiously waiting to bring their content to the Chromecast. Interestingly, Google is yet to include any kind of ads in the Chromecast, even though most of the company’s revenue is generated by online ads.

The full press release follows below.

Brightcove Once Empowers Google Chromecast Publishers to Monetize Video Content with Personalized Advertising

Developers using the open Chromecast SDK can create a smooth advertising experience with Once

BOSTON – February 12, 2014 – Brightcove (NASDAQ: BCOV), a leading global provider of cloud services for video, today announced that content providers developing apps for Google Chromecast can now use Brightcove Once to quickly deploy and monetize feature-rich video on Chromecast, including personalized video ads. Coming on the heels of Google’s recent announcement that it has unlocked its Chromecast software development kit (SDK), Brightcove Once now enables publishers to deliver personalized advertising in streams delivered to Chromecast viewers.

“Chromecast has quickly become one of the top three selling electronics devices on Amazon and offers some of the most popular online entertainment options, including Netflix, YouTube, Hulu Plus and Google Play movies and music, with new apps coming on board at a rapid pace,” said AJ McGowan, Brightcove’s chief technology officer. “Broadcasters and content owners that want to quickly take advantage of Chromecast can now leverage Brightcove Once to deliver premium video content streams that include targeted advertising.”

Google Chromecast is a $35 dongle users can plug directly into any HDTV to stream their favorite movies, TV shows, YouTube clips, music and much more, via Wi-Fi, using their smartphone, tablet or laptop as a remote control. Brightcove Once is a cloud-based ad insertion and video stitching service that reduces or eliminates the need for platform-specific ad technology, making it possible to reliably deliver live or on-demand video with customized programming and targeted advertising to a wide range of devices.

Brightcove Once offers Chromecast publishers a high-end delivery alternative to quickly bring content to market without client-side code, SDKs or plugins. Brightcove Once facilitates the automatic transfer of metadata back to the user’s Apple or Android-based Chromecast app to allow for the seamless delivery of applicable, geo-targeted ads that integrate into the video stream without buffering. As a result, Chromecast publishers can deliver a seamless, television-like experience, complete with personalized ads stitched directly into the video stream. Using Brightcove Once, publishers can also easily reach a wide range of mobile and connected devices in addition to Chromecast without additional investment.

Additionally, with Brightcove Once UX, Chromecast publishers can incorporate interactive video ads, insert ad overlays in video streams, hide controls to prevent fast-forwarding through ads and more. Brightcove Once also captures detailed analytics so publishers can assess content and ad performance in real time.

About Brightcove

Brightcove Inc. (NASDAQ: BCOV), a leading global provider of cloud services for video, offers a family of products that revolutionize the way organizations deliver video experiences. The company’s products include Video Cloud, the market-leading online video platform, Zencoder, a leading cloud-based media processing service and HTML5 video player technology provider and Once, a cloud-based ad insertion and video stitching service. Brightcove has more than 6,300 customers in over 70 countries that rely on Brightcove cloud content services to build and operate video experiences across PCs, smartphones, tablets and connected TVs. For more information, visithttp://www.brightcove.com.
Old 03-02-14, 10:33 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

VUDU: Coming to a Chromecast Near You

You asked. We listened. And it’s coming soon.

Today you can use VUDU to instantly watch over a hundred thousand movies and TV shows just about anytime and anywhere. We’re on hundreds of devices, from smart TVs to smart phones, and support both PCs and Macs. Soon, watching will be even easier with VUDU on Chromecast.

A Google Chromecast device lets you ‘cast’ video streamed from VUDU on your smartphone, tablet, PC or Mac directly to a television. No smart TV, DVD/Blu-ray player, game console or set-top box needed. While casting, you can use your device as a remote control or even a ‘second screen’, which means you multi-taskers can continuing doing the ten other things you usually do while watching that TV episode.

VUDU on Chromecast will be launching soon, so check back often. VUDU on Chromecast will be available with the updated Android and iOS apps, as well as through the Chrome browser for PC and Mac.

http://blog.vudu.com/?p=10711
Old 04-09-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

The timing on this was great, as I did not realize I had a credit on VUDU and used it to rent Enders Game. I thought I would have to resign myself to seeing it on my iPad (I do not own any other VUDU friendly devices), however, this past weekend I was able to toss it up on my plasma...able to watch the film with no streaming hiccups, and even in standard def it looked like DVD quality on the big screen.

The Chromecast device has turned into quite the nifty gadget.
Old 04-09-14, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99

The Chromecast device has turned into quite the nifty gadget.
yep .... wasn't impressed at launch but some nice additions lately
Old 05-12-14, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought this last week for my trip this past weekend to Nashville, and found out the hard way that it's not hotel wifi friendly. I've read about how to get past that, but you'd think that Google could program a nice little browser into it, to accept the wifi terms.
Old 06-26-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

So apparently Chromecast will now allow you to mirror your cell phone. DOes this mean if i use my media player it will stream to the device? Basically I am looking to play my HD flacs via PowerAmp and stream them so i can listen to them on my home theater but keep the phone on me to changes songs as needed.

Also can I plug the Chromecast into my receiver first or does it have to go into the TV?
Old 06-26-14, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
So apparently Chromecast will now allow you to mirror your cell phone. DOes this mean if i use my media player it will stream to the device? Basically I am looking to play my HD flacs via PowerAmp and stream them so i can listen to them on my home theater but keep the phone on me to changes songs as needed.
Well it doesn't do it "now." Android Mirroring was just announced at the I/O conference but it's not coming until an update later in the summer, as I understand it. So, exactly how well it will work remains to be seen.
Old 06-26-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank
Well it doesn't do it "now." Android Mirroring was just announced at the I/O conference but it's not coming until an update later in the summer, as I understand it. So, exactly how well it will work remains to be seen.
Thanks for the clarification. I only saw a blurb about it and can't access the actual articles from here at work.
Old 06-26-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Thanks for the clarification. I only saw a blurb about it and can't access the actual articles from here at work.
No problem. Also of note is that they announced it as working only with some specific Android phone models, but promising "more to come" so it likely won't work with every Android phone even when the update is available. I was a little disappointed my phone (Moto X) wasn't on the intial list they showed.
Old 07-06-14, 02:23 PM

I got this a couple of weeks ago, it will not run with an older Macbook from 2010 running 10.6 so I returned it, gonna stick with my PS3 and a media server for streaming programs.
Old 07-07-14, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by educator_bhoy
I got this a couple of weeks ago, it will not run with an older Macbook from 2010 running 10.6 so I returned it, gonna stick with my PS3 and a media server for streaming programs.
Just download the Chromecast extension in Chrome. Works fine on my 2010 MacMini that's 10.6.8
Old 07-08-14, 07:41 AM

Thanks it does work perfectly with sites that have links like Youtube and Netflix, but with other sites when I try to cast my browser I would get no sound and when I go full screen, the casting on the TV slows down big time. Is it my internet connection or anything else I can fix that?
Old 07-08-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by educator_bhoy
Thanks it does work perfectly with sites that have links like Youtube and Netflix, but with other sites when I try to cast my browser I would get no sound and when I go full screen, the casting on the TV slows down big time. Is it my internet connection or anything else I can fix that?
In general, tab-casting quality when casting a tab with streaming video is highly dependent on the wi-fi connection for both your computer and the chromecast, as well as the processing power of your computer. These two support pages offer more explanation:
https://support.google.com/chromecas..._topic=4602553
https://support.google.com/chromecas..._topic=4602553

Personally, I've had much better results using my new-ish Chromebook than I have with my 5-year-old Win7 laptop. Just this week, I was able to cast full-screen streaming video from Yahoo smoothly and with perfectly synced audio from my Chromebook.
Old 09-17-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Disney, Twitch, and iHeartRadio added

http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/chr...-slide-youtube
Old 09-22-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I got a new smartphone and using the Screen Cast is awesome. I can now play my HD flac files from my phone while I do work around the house. Nice to be doing laundry and be able to reach into my shirt pocket and skip a song I dont like that came up in shuffle mode. Great job by the Chromecast adding this feature.
Old 09-25-14, 09:13 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

One day deal (9/25/14) from Groupon towards a refurbished Chromecast...$15 with a coupon code. At that price I went ahead and grabbed one this morning.

http://deals.kinja.com/score-a-refur...shepmcallister

Figured at that price it was worth trying out to see if I like it.
Old 09-25-14, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

That's a sweet deal for those that don't have it. I paid $35 at launch date. It's still a great little device.
Old 09-25-14, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by parker63
One day deal (9/25/14) from Groupon towards a refurbished Chromecast...$15 with a coupon code. At that price I went ahead and grabbed one this morning.

http://deals.kinja.com/score-a-refur...shepmcallister
Thanks for the heads up. I don't really need another streaming device. But $15 is too cheap to pass up.
Old 09-25-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

And it is sold out.
Old 09-25-14, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
And it is sold out.
Try it again. I just clicked through and added one to my cart. So it looks like there's still some available.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-1-go...-refurbished-2

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.