Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Disney's Digital Copy Plus

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-13, 08:25 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Disney's Digital Copy Plus

Disney is ditching the digital copy discs and switching to cloud-based digital copy codes. Customers will choose between iTunes, Amazon and Vudu.

Disney’s New ‘Digital Copy Plus’ One Step Closer to ‘Disney Movies Anywhere’

With the home video release of Oz the Great and Powerful on June 11, 2013, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will be launching a new service, ‘Digital Copy Plus.’ Taking a cue from the Disney Movies Anywhere initiative, in which consumers will be able to purchase a film and stream it across multiple devices, the Digital Copy Plus replaces the digital copy disc previously offered and transfers it into the cloud, so consumers can choose how and where the digital copy is stored/accessed from.

The way it works is relatively simple: consumers will take the Digital Copy Plus code included in their purchase and enter it into the DigitalCopyPlus.com website. They will then choose a cloud provider: iTunes, Amazon Instant Video or Vudu, each with their own offerings on multi-device playback via download and streaming, including access via Roku devices. This means at launch (and depending on chosen provider), Disney films will be available on televisions, iOS devices, Roku, Android tablets, Kindle Fire, gaming consoles, PCs, Macs and even — ironically enough — BD players that offer access to these providers.

The service is not just limited to Disney releases, however. It will apply to all of Disney’s studios including Pixar, Marvel, Touchstone and even DreamWorks, which Disney currently has a distribution agreement with.

At launch, it appears the service will be available only to consumers in the United States and Canada, with Canadian access limited to the iTunes service.

It’s still a far cry from the promised Disney Movies Anywhere service, but it certainly seems a step in the right direction, especially for the company which can now trade off manufacturing and supporting additional discs and materials for leveraging existing services from third party providers.

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-...py-plus-62991/
Old 05-26-13, 08:35 PM

Re: Disney's Digital Copy Plus

Here some more info from the DigitalCopyPlus.com website:

How many times can I use my Digital Copy code?

Your Digital Copy code can be used to redeem your title with one participating provider. However, the code can also be used to unlock points and offers through Disney Movie Rewards.
What else can I do with my code?

Your code provides you with access to various special offers, sweepstakes, upgrades, rewards and more. These offers vary by title and by territory and additional terms and conditions may apply; please enter your code to find out what you can unlock!
Do Digital Copy codes expire?

Digital Copy codes are only available for a limited time. See the list below for specific dates related to your title.

Oz The Great and Powerful - Expires June 11, 2018
From how many providers can I redeem my Digital Copy?

Each code allows you to redeem with your choice of one participating provider, so please choose carefully.
What are my provider options?

Please note provider availability varies by title.
Old 05-27-13, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Leave it to Disney to come up with their own way of doing things.

I have few Disney titles in my DVD/HD-DVD/BluRay collection as it is, this concept of theirs is unlikely to inspire me to rush out and buy more, especially since this appears to NOT be retroactive to include any previously-purchased movies.

Sure, kudos to Disney for at least getting on the wagon, I just wish it were the same wagon that nearly all of the other studios are already on.
Old 05-31-13, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm perfectly fine with this. One less stupid disc to clutter the movie cases. It doesn't really change much. I already redeem the digital copies via iTunes anyway.
Old 06-02-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

It would have been nice if Disney had allowed redemption on two different providers, but at least they are finally joining the party outside of iTunes.
Old 06-05-13, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

I'm confused about which is better : Vudu or Amazon video. Is there a significant difference? Will the movie show up with my Ultraviolet library if I redeem on Vudu? Isn't that just another UV partner like Flixster and Cinema Now

If people who know a lot about streaming are confused, can't imagine what the average consumer is going to make of this. They should have just gone the UV route.
Old 06-05-13, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Pretty easy.

iTunes = least supported, apple products only
Amazon = more support but doesn't support non-Kindle Fire Android devices or Bluray players, minus Apple products
Vudu = supported on pretty much everything, minus Apple products

I personally prefer Vudu to Amazon, not sure if it is UV or not though.
Old 06-05-13, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm confused about which is better : Vudu or Amazon video. Is there a significant difference? Will the movie show up with my Ultraviolet library if I redeem on Vudu? Isn't that just another UV partner like Flixster and Cinema Now
As far as I can tell, this will not be Ultraviolet-compatible. Disney doesn't participate in UV. So the movie will be restricted to Vudu.

This wouldn't be the first Vudu-only digital copy. Wal-Mart sells some discs with non-UV Vudu codes.

I agree that this can be confusing. Especially for the average customer. I wish Disney would just put out a regular UV code.
Old 06-05-13, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Amazon = more support but doesn't support non-Kindle Fire Android devices or Bluray players, minus Apple products

Amazon and Vudu are both supported on the iPad. Vudu isn't supported on the Kindle Fire. Vudu also doesn't support mobile phones.

Universal Digital Copy also offers a choice between iTunes, Amazon and UV. Their iTunes and UV are both HD-quality. But the Amazon is always SD-quality. I wonder if Disney will offer SD or HD at Amazon?

In the past, if you owned a Vudu movie that wasn't UV, and the studio later joined UV, your movie would automatically upgrade. I had a Vudu-only copy of Push. When Summit joined UV last month, the movie was added to my UV account.

Anyways, I'm definitely getting Vudu. Better video quality. It's available on more devices that I use. And hopefully Disney will eventually join Ultraviolet and my movie will upgrade to UV.
Old 06-05-13, 08:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I'm still unsure of which to choose. Apple and Amazon will probably be around forever, but Vudu...?
Old 06-05-13, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm still unsure of which to choose. Apple and Amazon will probably be around forever, but Vudu...?
VUDU is owned by Walmart. It will be around for longer than anyone reading this forum, if streaming is a viable business.

It's a tough call in picking which provider one chooses for these Disney digital copies. Choices should be dictated by personal needs. Amazon refuses to be a part of UltraViolet and likely won't join since they want to lock consumers into their own ecosystem of products. Apple is much the same way. But if the only thing you own is an Apple TV, iTunes is the call.
Old 06-05-13, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jesus, Disney, just join ultraviolet! I would do all my Disney blus disc to digital in a heartbeat. Just terrible...
Old 06-05-13, 09:51 PM

Pretty easy.

My Playstation 3, 360, Roku and Sony Blu Ray all support Amazon Instant Video streaming.
Old 06-05-13, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I knew it's on game consoles, didn't know Sony Bluray had it.
Old 06-06-13, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

I knew it's on game consoles, didn't know Sony Bluray had it.
Not just Sony. Probably a lot more than you imagined:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices
Old 06-20-13, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't download the iTunes DC for Oz. I am getting the following message:

"If you buy the HD version, you will have to transfer it to an HD-compatible device in order to watch it. Or, you can buy the SD versioin and watch it on this computer."

Funny thing is that I downloaded HD versions before, Jaws for sure, and it worked. Strangely Oz doesn't show up as purchased in my history.

I change the download setting from HD preferred to SD but I still get the same message. Anybody else having the same problem?
Old 06-20-13, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
I can't download the iTunes DC for Oz. I am getting the following message:

"If you buy the HD version, you will have to transfer it to an HD-compatible device in order to watch it. Or, you can buy the SD versioin and watch it on this computer."
I've run into that problem with a couple other iTunes codes. I don't know why it happens with some titles and not with others.

The workaround is to enter the code on my iPad. It asks if you want to download now or later. I select later and the movie gets added to my account in the cloud.
Old 06-20-13, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I've run into that problem with a couple other iTunes codes. I don't know why it happens with some titles and not with others.

The workaround is to enter the code on my iPad. It asks if you want to download now or later. I select later and the movie gets added to my account in the cloud.
Thanks, I will try that when I get home later.
Old 06-20-13, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The DVD code for OZ redeems in HDX on VUDU.
Old 06-25-13, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer VUDU because of superior streaming on my TV, and I can access most of them on my Kindle Fire via Flixster app. Wish Amazon would join UV also, then my choice would be easy.....
Old 06-25-13, 01:11 PM

Pretty easy.

My Panasonic blu-ray player does Amazon video.
Old 06-25-13, 01:12 PM

Now it would be really nice if they would provide some sort of path to convert our unused digital copies to VUDU!
Old 06-29-13, 06:14 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by AdamGott
Now it would be really nice if they would provide some sort of path to convert our unused digital copies to VUDU!
I agree since they have a record of this anyway.
Old 06-30-13, 11:40 AM

Vudu doesn't support downloading to iPads? I might have to go with Amazon instead then since we have two iPads that we like to travel with. That seems sort of stupid.
Old 08-07-13, 03:24 PM

On Sword and the Stone and Robin Hood, it is only giving me the option for VUDU or Amazon. I'm interested in an iTunes digital copy. Am I doing something wrong?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.