Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Fandango at Home (Vudu) Thread - News, Bargains & Codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-13, 01:14 AM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts
Re: The VUDU Thread - News, Bargains & UV Codes

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Dave is there a site where they list updates on New d2d titles? Or even a master list that has all the titles available?
There isn't an official list. CinemaNow had one, but they haven't updated it in 6 months.

The best place for information is the Disc-to-Digital and Ultraviolet section at the Vudu Forum. There's always a post when new stuff is available. And someone over there has been keeping track with an unofficial list of D2D titles.
Old 05-17-13, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
There isn't an official list. CinemaNow had one, but they haven't updated it in 6 months.

The best place for information is the Disc-to-Digital and Ultraviolet section at the Vudu Forum. There's always a post when new stuff is available. And someone over there has been keeping track with an unofficial list of D2D titles.
Thanks bud!
Old 05-22-13, 04:40 AM

Today's $0.99 Rental is The Sessions (2012).

Old 05-22-13, 06:31 AM

If you're using the iOS app, get the new update. It fixed the problems I was having and added some new features.

Walmart-Owned Vudu iOS App Update Now Includes Offline Viewing

Walmart’s video on demand service, Vudu, just rolled out a new update for its iOS app. Version 2.0 of Vudu now lets you download videos from the service, and then watch them even if you’re offline. The player itself is streamlined, and Closed Captioning–already supported on the iPad version of the Vudu app–is now available on the iPhone, too.

The new update is only for iOS at this time, leaving Android users wishing they had an iPhone or iPad.

What’s New in Version 2.0
• You can now download and watch your collection of movies and TV shows offline.
• We’ve listened to your feedback and made the Player easier to use.
• Closed Captioning for the iPhone is now supported. (Closed captioning is already supported for iPad).
• General bug fixes have been applied.

http://www.cultofmac.com/228286/walm...fline-viewing/
Old 05-22-13, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're using the iOS app, get the new update. It fixed the problems I was having and added some new features.
Haven't tried the downloading for offline, but disappointed to see it still only streams the SD versions of stuff.
Old 05-24-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcheckel
Haven't tried the downloading for offline, but disappointed to see it still only streams the SD versions of stuff.
Well, when looking at the 3.5" (?) screen on my iPod Touch, having HD content there doesn't really matter to me that much. Although if you're using one of those devices to throw a signal up on a normal TV screen I can see where it might.

I've never tried this, but I wonder if I can use Twonky Beam to broadcast my iTouch's Vudu stream to my Roku? The Vudu channel on Roku will only install on newer hardware and I have an older model Roku in the MBR. Hmmm....
Old 05-24-13, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I was wondering about that, the Vudu channel on Roku is impressive in terms of quality (1080p, 7.1 audio) and was curious if it ran on the older models or not.
Old 05-25-13, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
I was wondering about that, the Vudu channel on Roku is impressive in terms of quality (1080p, 7.1 audio) and was curious if it ran on the older models or not.
Yup. Vudu only works on a Roku 2 (HD, XD or XS) and the Roku 3. I *think* it works on a Roku LT but don't have one to confirm. I *know* it does not work on any model prior to the LT (including the Legacy SD, HD and HD-XR, and the 2nd Gen HD, XD, and XD|S models).

And I could not get Twonky Beam to work with Vudu on my iTouch - it had nothing to do with the unit I was attempting to beam to - I never managed to even bring it up as an option while watching Vudu.
Old 05-25-13, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
I *think* it works on a Roku LT but don't have one to confirm. I *know* it does not work on any model prior to the LT (including the Legacy SD, HD and HD-XR, and the 2nd Gen HD, XD, and XD|S models).
Vudu works fine on my Roku LT.
Old 05-25-13, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW - Just back from my local WalMart and found a few interesting things:

#1 - In the DVD section, there was a horror movie DVD set that contained 7 bad movies for $5. Stuck to the package was a peel-off coupon with a code a $10 Vudu credit. Seems a decent deal - you could even throw the DVD away and still be ahead $5. I can't find the title of the movie collection online, but they had a bunch of them on the rack - I wonder how long those stickers will stay there before folks start collecting them?

#2 - Took a batch of 13 movies to undergo the D2D process - it was a mix of a few BluRays and 9-10 older HD-DVDs. The guy in the photo center took 'em all and after about 10 minutes of entering data he gave the discs back to me and had bar-coded my home printout with a sticker for $26. Didn't bat an eye about the HD-DVDs ... they were on the list, so he entered the info online..

#3 - The Vudu guy also told me that he was supposed to stamp each of my discs to ensure they didn't get reused by someone else. He explained that he didn't because the stamper never worked right, and even if it did the stamp could be removed with a little rubbing alcohol. He did ask me to not pass my discs to others for them to use the system - I assured him I would not. But since they accepted both my Blu and Red HD discs for the D2D process, and since I've got a TON of Red HD-DVDs that I've not yet replaced with BluRays, it looks like I'll be going back frequently.
Old 05-25-13, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Vudu works fine on my Roku LT.
Good to know, thanks! I've updated my Roku model matrix:
Old 05-26-13, 12:05 AM

Stuck to the package was a peel-off coupon with a code a $10 Vudu credit. Seems a decent deal - you could even throw the DVD away and still be ahead $5.
Unfortunately, you're limited to five $10 credits per account (and five $5 credits).
Old 05-26-13, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Unfortunately, you're limited to five $10 credits per account (and five $5 credits).
Unfortunately? Heck, that sounds like $75 in free movies or D2D conversions to me!

And the obligatory Otter question: Can one create alternate accounts with other email addresses?
Old 05-26-13, 01:07 PM

And the obligatory Otter question: Can one create alternate accounts with other email addresses?
You should be able to create additional accounts at Vudu, then connect them to the same Ultraviolet account. All the movies would go into the same UV collection.

But there's some limits. I think Vudu only allows 3 different accounts linked to the same Ultraviolet account. This thread should have more info:

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...ccount-Limit-3
Old 05-26-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, were I to use my [email protected] email address and put 5 movies in. Then use my [email protected] email address and put 15 more movies in. If both were connected to the same UV account both Vudu accounts would have access to all 20 movies?

And both accounts could accumulate $75 in free movies/conversions? Sweet.

PS - Just took another dozen discs to WalMart - 3 Blu and 9 HD-DVD. Different guy at the photo counter, same result... 12 HDX movies were added to my account, none of the discs were stamped, and I paid $24 plus tax. This guy tried to stamp the first disc, it didn't work, and didn't even bother looking inside the other cases. Heck.... all I apparently needed were cases with the right artwork on the outside.
Old 05-26-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI: The per-account limit for promo codes is five of any type, not five of EACH type:

Linky: https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...omo-Code-Limit
So I've been purchasing Dvds/Blu-rays for myself and friends specifically for the Vudu Promo credits and digital copies. I recently picked up a few of the Christmas Titles that had $5 and $10 dollar Codes on them. I was able to enter the 10 Dollar ones, but the 5 Dollar Codes give an error message as seen below.

I thought the Limit was 5 per Type of code, not 5 Codes Total?
Bob, The limit is 5 promotions per account total. This does not apply to digital copies.
So it looks like $10 x5 is the max.
Old 05-26-13, 06:33 PM

So, were I to use my [email protected] email address and put 5 movies in. Then use my [email protected] email address and put 15 more movies in. If both were connected to the same UV account both Vudu accounts would have access to all 20 movies?
All the movies go into the main UV account. My brother is on my UV account so that he can watch all my UV movies. When he signed up for Vudu, they gave him 10 free movies. And those were all added to my UV account.

FYI: The per-account limit for promo codes is five of any type, not five of EACH type:
The official response is that each account is limited to five credits. But it's actually five of each type. And I've heard that those types are in $5 increments. I've used five $5 credits, a $5.99 credit and four $10 credits. When I tried to use a 5th $10 credit, it said I was maxed out. So I guess it grouped the 4x$10 and 1x$5.99 credits together.

I hear there are also $20 and $50 credits. I think those are credit card sign-up offers.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 05-26-13 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-26-13, 08:52 PM

Disney will begin offering Vudu digital copies starting with Oz The Great And Powerful. And it applies to releases from all Disney studios (Pixar, Marvel, Touchstone and even DreamWorks). This thread has more info:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-t...copy-plus.html
Old 05-27-13, 11:25 PM

Ripper Street: Season 1 (HDX) is on sale for $8.99

Emily Owens, MD: Season 1 (HDX) is on sale for $9.99

Last edited by TheBigDave; 05-27-13 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-28-13, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Three trips to WalMart - every one of them with a mixed bag of BluRays and HD-DVDs - not a single problem getting all of them added to my digital locker. YMMV of course, but the crew here locally either don't know the difference between the two formats, or don't care. Since their stamper does not work, they don't even bother looking at/in the cases any longer. They just take my printout, key in my email address to access my account, double-check that the titles listed online in my D2D list match the pile of discs I've brought in, and after about 5 minutes of pressing keys they return the pile to me and take my money.

I've just about converted all of the HD-DVDs that I care to at this point. I have one final trip planned for after work where I'm taking my Matrix trilogy (HD-DVD), my LOTR EE BluRay trilogy (because the HD2D software didn't identify those discs correctly), and two other movies (one BluRay, one standard DVD) that didn't scan properly at home. Everything else I've done at home has worked fine, and I only have one more set of Blu's to scan/file - I picked up a few cheapos during a recent GoHastings sale that should get here shortly.
Old 05-29-13, 03:10 PM

Today's $0.99 Rental is Seven Psychopaths (2012).

Old 05-30-13, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, this is starting to get out of hand:

1 - The guys at my local WalMart have completely given up of stamping discs.
2 - After an initial crush of customers when Vudu was first announced, I appear to be the only regular now.
3 - When I showed up with another 9 titles to convert, the guy didn't even bother looking at the cases in my bag. He took my printout, did the "authorization" work on the computer, slapped a barcode on my paper, and took my money.
4 - I asked if he wanted to see the discs or even just the cases. He said, "nope, I trust you."

So at this point, I could conceivably just print out a list at home with any movies on it at all and "forget" to bring my discs with me. Lol

I heart this so much!
Old 05-31-13, 09:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would do the disc to digital thing, except there are no Wal-Marts near me, and the one movie I really wanted to convert, Superman: The Movie, was only available in SD.
Old 05-31-13, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I would do the disc to digital thing, except there are no Wal-Marts near me, and the one movie I really wanted to convert, Superman: The Movie, was only available in SD.
Bluray drives for your PC are pretty cheap these days and the Home Disc 2 Digital works great.
Old 06-01-13, 01:23 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a BD drive at home, but I was actually looking to convert my HD DVDs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.