Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Netflix - News & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-19, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Netflix - News & Discussion

Just got notice in my app, my premium plan is going up to $16.
Old 04-02-19, 08:12 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Netflix seems to be adding more and more stuff that I have zero interest in watching. Looking through their Recently Added page, half of it is Latino, Asian and Bollywood shows/movies. It's starting to feel like Cable, where I'm paying a bunch of money for channels I don't want.

Everyone complains about all the small Niche services. But at least you're paying a reasonable price for the content you want.
Old 04-02-19, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

How does HBO make so much money? Before it was included for "free" with my combined AT&T plan, I would basically subscribe just during GoT and then cancel right after. The non-promo price on their channel when included with cable/sat is pretty high, so I wonder how much of it is just including it in a cable plan or something.

For Netflix, to me the area they do great on is kids programming. Lots of great originals, lots of content, there's always something on for the kids to watch so I don't mind subscribing even when there's not much I'm excited to watch. That probably changes with Disney+ and I'll rotate between them.
Old 04-02-19, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Netflix goes through lulls for me. This year started stronger than normal (loved Russian Doll, The OA Season 2, Santa Clarita Diet S3, and liked Umbrella Academy), but it doesn't seem like much more is coming up for a little while -- roughly whenever Black Mirror Season 5 comes out.
Old 04-05-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

So does Netflix still have a better variety on their disc service than on streaming? Been hearing this for years then heard it again a few days ago.
Old 04-05-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
So does Netflix still have a better variety on their disc service than on streaming? Been hearing this for years then heard it again a few days ago.
Netflix Disc = Movies that were in theaters and a ton of shows
Netflix Streaming = Mostly originals with some popular TV series and occasional movies.

I love a good number of their originals, so it's debatable for me. But their Disc service is the only way to get most of the commercially released films from many other studios.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-05-19 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-05-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Netflix Disc = Movies that were in theaters and a ton of shows
Netflix Streaming = Mostly originals with some popular TV series and occasional movies.
Aaaah thanks. Netflix belonged to my Wife so I never tried Netflix disc.
Old 04-05-19, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah it's still basically Red Box (Netflix Disc) vs HBO (Netflix Streaming). One has new stuff, the other gets it a little later, fills the rest of the space with older stuff and originals.
Old 04-23-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...bhtsHEKiTXq5pk

Netflix continues to increase their long-term debt. I guess they know what they're doing, but this kind of crippling debt would bankrupt most companies.

Netflix is going back to the debt markets — to fuel more content spending — announcing plans to issue $2 billion in unsecured bonds.

The proposed offering would be the seventh time in four years that Netflix is raising $1 billion or more through debt, and would bring its long-term debt to around $12.3 billion if the transaction is completed.

Netflix, in a statement Tuesday, said the $2 billion aggregate notes will be issued in two series, indicating the principal amount will be in both U.S. dollars and euros. As of March 31, Netflix reported $10.305 billion in long-term debt on its balance sheet.

In its first-quarter 2019 letter to shareholders, Netflix said it had “no change to our plan to use the high-yield market to finance our cash needs.” The company noted that it recently exercised its option to boost its revolving credit facility from $500 million to $750 million (which Netflix said remains untapped) at the same cost and extended the term from 2022 to 2024.

And Netflix’s cash burn has accelerated: Free cash flow for the first quarter of 2019 was -$460 million (compared with -$287 million in the year-earlier quarter). The company said it now expects its free cash flow deficit for the full-year 2019 deficit to be “modestly higher” than it previously guided, to -$3.5 billion “due to higher cash taxes related to the change in our corporate structure and additional investments in real estate and other infrastructure.” It had previously told investors it was expecting negative free cash flow of $3.0 billion for 2019; Netflix says it still expects free cash flow to improve starting in 2020.

The streaming giant — which needs cash to cover a content budget projected to be $15 billion in 2019 — last raised $2 billion in junk bonds in October 2018. In that offering, Netflix issued €1.1 billion ($1.26 billion) in notes at 4.625% due 2029 and $800 million of its 6.375% notes, also due 2029.

To date, Netflix hasn’t paid down any significant amount of the long-term debt it has accrued. It reported $135.5 million in interest expense for the first quarter of 2019 — about 3% of revenue. That’s up 67% from $81.2 million a year prior (which represented 2.2% of quarterly revenue).

Netflix also has billions in off-balance-sheet content-spending obligations, most of which is due within the next five years. As of March 31, 2019, the company had $18.9 billion of content-payment obligations, including $10.4 billion that aren’t on its balance sheets “as they did not yet meet the criteria for asset recognition.”

Separately, Netflix disclosed in a regulatory filing the 2018 compensation of its top execs. CEO and chairman Reed Hastings’ total pay package increased 48%, to $36.1 million, and chief content officer Ted Sarandos saw his comp climb 32%, to $29.6 million.
Old 04-23-19, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Netflix continues to increase their long-term debt. I guess they know what they're doing, but this kind of crippling debt would bankrupt most companies.
I just don't see how that is sustainable. They'll have to spend lots of money on new content every year.
Old 04-23-19, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yikes, quality not quantity netflix.. so much crap on this service...
Old 04-23-19, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been pretty happy with them this year.

Loved the seasons of The OA, Russian Doll and Santa Calrita Diet, and Umbrella Academy seems to be extremely popular for them. Kingdom (Korean) was pretty cool as well.

Most of their really bad content seems to be low or micro budgeted movies. Their Academy Award nominated ones were apparently $15m - $20m tho.

But yeah, their business plans are a bit of a disaster. They're trying to cover too many genres for too many age groups in too many countries

Last edited by RichC2; 04-23-19 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-24-19, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I received an email that our plan was going up. For as little as we watch it, I think this is the last straw. I have been meaning to cancel it and the price increase just reaffirmed my decision.
Old 04-24-19, 07:35 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Same here!

Right after my wife and I finish the Great British Baking Show.
Old 04-24-19, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I dropped Netflix just recently.
Old 04-24-19, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I dropped Netflix just recently.
Don't blame ya one bit.

Jack up prices and say it's to add a ton of shows/movies that are dirt cheap licensing-wise - do this so you can get away with a lie, make a fortune off the new subscription rates.

Ever since the most recent price raise - it feels like there is now even less content on this already dead service. I've only kept it around so I can watch the office whenever I want - like a billion other people do.
Old 04-24-19, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,016 Likes on 628 Posts

I love Netflix. I like many of their original series (Stranger Things, Ozark, OitNB, Travelers, The OA, The Crown, GLOW, Santa Clarita Diet, Black Mirror, all the Marvel stuff, Sabrina, Umbrella Academy, Glitch, and others) and I've also watched several non-original series that they have streaming rights to.

Their movie catalog is decent--there's a lot of crap but there's some good stuff, too. Their interface does make it hard to sort through the crap to find the gems.

I cut the cable cord a few years ago, so where before I was spending $200+ per month on a TV/internet/phone package I reduced it to $60 per month for internet only. I was already a Netflix subscriber before I cut the cord, and ~$14/month for Netflix is still a great deal for someone like me who uses it so frequently.

Last edited by Cellar Door; 04-24-19 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-24-19, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, they could definitely do a little better with their obtained licenses (not entirely their fault mind you), but most of their original series have been great lately.

But then again, I'm kind of mixed on their most popular franchises (found most of the Marvel shows pretty boring, don't really care for Stranger Things, and for as popular as it is, Umbrella Academy is pretty generic).

Last edited by RichC2; 04-24-19 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-24-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I'm still surprised they don't offer a discount to lock in an annual subscription. It makes it that much easier for me to cancel.
Old 04-24-19, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I love Netflix. I like many of their original series (Stranger Things, Ozark, OitNB, Travelers, The OA, The Crown, GLOW, Santa Clarita Diet, Black Mirror, all the Marvel stuff, Sabrina, Umbrella Academy, Glitch, and others) and I've also watched several non-original series that they have streaming rights to.

Their movie catalog is decent--there's a lot of crap but there's some good stuff, too. Their interface does make it hard to sort through the crap to find the gems.

I cut the cable cord a few years ago, so where before I was spending $200+ per month on a TV/internet/phone package I reduced it to $60 per month for internet only. I was already a Netflix subscriber before I cut the cord, and ~$14/month for Netflix is still a great deal for someone like me who uses it so frequently.
Old 04-24-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Netflix is still a good deal for many. Most of America just doesn't have the budget to afford multiple streaming services or spend money on premium entertainment like HBO or Showtime. So this is still a bargain for most.

If you feel like you're not watching it enough to make it worth your money, then maybe you should cancel and move on. It's your money and ultimately you have to decide how to allocate your entertainment budget.

I could also see some asking....Why do I have to keep covering the ever increasing financial debt for this company from my hard earned money?

I still like Netflix, I can afford it, but sometimes I just don't have the time to watch everything I want to see.
Old 04-24-19, 03:15 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I also read today that some analysts are predicting a drop of 8 million subscribers (ouch) once Disney fires up its service.
Old 04-24-19, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I still like Netflix, I can afford it, but sometimes I just don't have the time to watch everything I want to see.
This is me in a nutshell with streaming services in general. I just don't have the damn time.
Old 04-25-19, 09:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Got my $16 letter increase today.... I have to see if my kids are alright with me dropping this every few months. After the summer I might cancel and then restart in December...
Old 04-25-19, 09:40 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

What I've started doing is buying discounted giftcards off of ebay to counter the price increase. A few months back I got $120 worth for $60.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.