Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Netflix - News & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: Netflix - News & Discussion

Post the modem make and model when you can.

Hmm, most of the problems I've heard about come from the Midwest, but that's not to say you might be getting routed to some congested servers too.
Old 01-23-14, 06:53 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

If you're having problems with Netflix on the Roku, try removing the channel, unplugging the Roku for 30 seconds, then rebooting and re-adding it. I'd been unable to get the SuperHD speed. But after doing that, I get the full 5800 kbps.
Old 01-23-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
What ISP are you on?
AT&T U-Verse, my house's wifi, on my Sony S3100 BR player.
Old 01-23-14, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Using PS3, the My List row just vanished (along with some others like recently watched and all recommendation lists). Though if I search for a title in my list it still indicates it's in my list. Anyone else seeing this?
Old 01-24-14, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
If you're having problems with Netflix on the Roku, try removing the channel, unplugging the Roku for 30 seconds, then rebooting and re-adding it. I'd been unable to get the SuperHD speed. But after doing that, I get the full 5800 kbps.
Did this on my Roku 2 XS & it isn't any better. I have ATT UVerse. VUDU, Amazon, etc all work great with high quality... Only Netflix seems to have this issue..
Old 01-24-14, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've always assumed this was an issue on Netflix's end, their servers must be so jammed.
Old 01-24-14, 11:04 PM

Netflix 'post-play' feature that automatically jumps to the next episode is now optional

Netflix has been rolling out a 'post-play' experience on various platforms since late 2012, but not everyone is a fan of how it jumps to a new episode automatically. That's not a problem anymore, since TechHive points out that now there's a toggle in your Netflix account settings (under playback settings) that keeps it from playing the next episode automatically. By default the feature is on, although as Netflix explains, it still requires a prompt of some kind to keep going after a couple of episodes have played. The post-play UI remains intact no matter what you choose, so watching the credits for every last best boy, grip and "no animals were harmed in the making of" will still require jumping on the remote to zoom back in. Of course, if your main concern is of House of Cards moving on an episode or two after you've dozed off, then this will fix it. Like other settings it's locked to individual profiles, so turning it off for the kids can keep them from turning out like the rest of us -- far too lazy to bother clicking a button to advance.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/24/n...the-next-epis/
Old 01-25-14, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

at those data tiers.

0.3, 0.7, 3gb. That's a crazy jump.
Old 01-25-14, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post-play remains intact...
Old 01-25-14, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Auto-play seems good to have as long as you can turn it on and off- I'd actually like to leave a movie running and either leave or fall asleep, and have it keep playing random stuff after it ends as I've never had any data cap problems. However, if I EVER see the end credits go into a stupid box or anything like that, they are gonna hear from me and lose my subscription if it doesn't stop immediately. They're part of the movie/show and if I wanted to cut them off, I could do that myself. My Sharp TV still plays everything right to the end and THEN gives me the "suggestions" screen, but saw that it's doing that on my computer- tested it with "Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie" which ruined the several gags that has during the end credits. HBO putting voice-overs on the end credits was my main reason for dumping them over 20 years ago!
Old 01-25-14, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Good God, what a horrible service. As stated previously in this thread, I've been trying Netflix with AT&T U-verse with approx 10-12 mpbs for the past month or so. And the picture quality never, ever, ever comes close to 'super HD'. Across any devices at any time of day. It looks sort of ok on my tablet, probably because it's only 7". But on my TV it looks like I'm watching VHS from 1983.

Between the limited selection & the pic quality, cancel cancel cancel & never again. I'll stick with streaming services such as Amazon & Vudu who can do it right. And get my discs from Redbox or just buy them.

There is no excuse for this sort of quality in 2014.

Last edited by Eddie W; 01-25-14 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-26-14, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Post-play/auto-play is the single best feature Netflix has added, but it is good they let you turn it off if you don't want it. Remember you can always select the box and have them play if you want them.

As for the quality, it's great as long as your ISP isn't passing Netflix through overly congested lines, which tends to be the case with Comcast and AT&T. Using a VPN tends to fix that, but Netflix does have a target on its back.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-26-14 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-27-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As for the quality, it's great as long as your ISP isn't passing Netflix through overly congested lines, which tends to be the case with Comcast and AT&T. Using a VPN tends to fix that, but Netflix does have a target on its back.
I assume AT&T and Comcast pass it through congested lines to save money? Just a hunch?
Old 01-27-14, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Good God, what a horrible service. As stated previously in this thread, I've been trying Netflix with AT&T U-verse with approx 10-12 mpbs for the past month or so. And the picture quality never, ever, ever comes close to 'super HD'. Across any devices at any time of day. It looks sort of ok on my tablet, probably because it's only 7". But on my TV it looks like I'm watching VHS from 1983.

Between the limited selection & the pic quality, cancel cancel cancel & never again. I'll stick with streaming services such as Amazon & Vudu who can do it right. And get my discs from Redbox or just buy them.

There is no excuse for this sort of quality in 2014.
But Netflix by mail has a bigger library...and they stay available for rent!
Old 02-05-14, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at those data tiers.

0.3, 0.7, 3gb. That's a crazy jump.
would hate to watch a tv show on say an iphone or ipad with a plan that limits data
Old 02-06-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
would hate to watch a tv show on say an iphone or ipad with a plan that limits data
That's what the 0.3mbps tier is for.

Also, a Verizon rep admitted they're limiting bandwidth to Cloud services (and Netflix):

http://davesblog.com/blog/2014/02/05...ainst-netflix/

Comcast and TWC are doing the same thing but not as open about it.
Old 02-06-14, 04:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Customer service reps have no clue about anything and comcast is not limiting bandwidth for netflix, i have gotten a perfect picture even in peak hours and plus comcast as part of the NBC buyout agreement is not allowed to limit bandwidth or they will get in big trouble.
Old 02-06-14, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does it matter which internet browser people are using? I mainly use Chrome & Chromecast (I think Silverlight as well) for Netflix, but I get a error every 15 mins on my laptop and have to reload the page constantly.

My tablet does just fine though with the Netflix app.

Just curious if some browsers do better then others.
Old 02-07-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Philly30
Customer service reps have no clue about anything and comcast is not limiting bandwidth for netflix, i have gotten a perfect picture even in peak hours and plus comcast as part of the NBC buyout agreement is not allowed to limit bandwidth or they will get in big trouble.

Because you are on the east coast. Many people here in the Chicagoland area were having massive Comcast/Netflix issues. It seems to be getting better now, but there was a period where I could only get 480p max, if I was lucky.

They weren't limiting bandwidth per se, but it was an issue only affecting Netflix on Comcast connections (Amazon, Hulu, etc worked flawlessly).
Old 02-07-14, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Also apparently in Fla as I mentioned earlier I have a ton of problems getting it up to 1080.

It gets there but I need to watch 1.5 to 2 hours continuous to get there.
Old 02-08-14, 10:20 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I simply don't get HD anymore even with a 22MBPs line from AT&T.
Old 02-08-14, 10:52 PM

I've been getting different results with different devices. My Roku almost never goes above 3850 kbps (regular 1080p HD). The PS3 goes up to 5800 kbps (Super HD), but it fluctuates a lot. AppleTV 3 has been the most reliable, always hitting 5800 kpbs and remaining steady.
Old 02-19-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Feud over Netflix traffic leads to video slowdown

By Drew Fitzgerald and Shalini Ramachandran, The Wall Street Journal

Netflix subscribers have seen a lot more spinning wheels lately as they wait for videos to load, thanks to a standoff deep in the Internet.

The online-video service has been at odds with Verizon Communications and other broadband providers for months over how much Netflix streaming content they will carry without being paid additional fees.

Now the long-simmering conflict has heated up and is slowing Netflix, in particular, on Verizon's fiber-optic FiOS service, where Netflix says its average prime-time speeds dropped by 14 percent last month. The slowdown comes as Netflix is rolling out the new season of its Emmy-winning series "House of Cards."

The dispute involves the plumbing behind parts of the Internet that are invisible to consumers. As more people stream movies and television, that infrastructure is getting strained, intensifying the debate over who should pay for upgrades needed to satisfy America's online-video habit.

<snip>
Old 02-20-14, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

The Wishmaster series was added. I remember the first being really good but never saw the sequels.
Old 02-20-14, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Last weekend was awful the video quality was terrible and it would rebuffer very often. I thought it might be because my son was playing games online and my daughter streaming in another room but when I tried Vudu it was perfect quality and no buffering.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.