Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Netflix - News & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-22, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
Re: Netflix - News & Discussion

Originally Posted by Dan
Maybe too much of a grey area question, but I'll ask anyway.

Are there any VPNs that actually work when it comes to Netflix region switching? I had tested a few that made the claim, but Netflix always popped up with a warning showing they knew what was up.

There's a documentary that's only on Netflix UK that I'd like to watch. It has zero distribution in the US for now, so
My son uses SurfShark and verified that it still works.
The following 2 users liked this post by andicus:
Dan (05-10-22), John Pannozzi (05-11-22)
Old 05-10-22, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I now get Netflix for free. I just upgraded my T-Mobile plan to Magenta Max and it includes Netflix on us. Only the HD stream with 2 screens at a time. But, who cares, free is free and it saves me $20/month.

It did give me the option of paying an extra $5/month for UHD. But, I'd rather go free for now. I think I can live with just HD and not have to pay extra,

Last edited by DJariya; 05-10-22 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-11-22, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
My son uses SurfShark and verified that it still works.
Never used them, or any VPN, but looks like they have a deal for new users.

The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-11-22)
Old 05-13-22, 06:12 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I don't know why they haven't already done this.

EXCLUSIVE: Netflix is going live for the first time.

Deadline understands that the streamer is exploring the launch of live streaming.

It plans to roll out the capability, which Netflix confirmed was in the early stages of development, for its swathe of unscripted shows and stand-up specials.

It would mean that Netflix would be able to use it for live voting for competition series and talent contests such as its upcoming dance competition series Dance 100 from The Circle producer Studio Lambert.

Similarly, it could use it if it decides to bring back its Netflix Is A Joke festival. The live comedy event featured around 300 stand-up performances across LA including Dave Chappelle, Larry David and Pete Davidson. Many of the shows were being filmed with plans to air around 12 of them on the service. In future, it could potentially air shows live, albeit with a few seconds delay in case things get saucy.

Other options include for live reunions for shows such as Selling Sunset, which just aired a reunion special for its fifth season.

The move opens up the potential to order a whole new raft of unscripted series to use the technology, bringing it in to line with the linear networks, which often air live specials for big competition series such as ABC’s American Idol and Dancing with the Stars, which is moving to Disney+.

The company has already experimented with different release patterns for its unscripted series and social experiments such as The Circle and Love Is Blind and the move would add further intrigue to such shows.

The inevitable next question is whether such a move could be rolled out to cover sports, which has been a hot topic of discussion given its recent success of F1 series Drive to Survive. However, Deadline understands this is unrelated to those suggestions.

There’s no timeline and sources caution that it’s early days for the live roll out, but a small group within Netflix is in the preliminary stages of developing the product.
https://deadline.com/2022/05/netflix...ng-1235023539/
Old 05-13-22, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jesus. If it means bringing that kind of crap to Netflix, I hope it fails miserably. It's all I can do to avoid anything to do with 'reality' and competition shows on cable.

So is it headed toward being just a like a giant cable company? First, they're looking at a commercial supported version, now live TV?
Old 05-15-22, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Anyone else having issues with Netflix launching itself on devices? This weekend, it started launching itself on my Xbox. We would be watching something on another streaming service and all of a sudden Netflix would open, go into one of our profiles and start playing something. It interrupted what we were watching frequently enough that I just deleted the app for now.

Tonight, on a different tv in another room, our AppleTV has now turned itself and the tv on and launched Netflix twice.
Old 05-16-22, 09:21 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

that's truly bizarre.
Old 05-16-22, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Any chance someone else in your house was casting Netflix, and accidentally picked your device?
Why So Blu? (05-16-22)
Old 05-16-22, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Any chance someone else in your house was casting Netflix, and accidentally picked your device?

Or the neighbors.
Old 05-16-22, 10:26 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Netflix’s Geeked Week is back on June 6-10 with its five-day live virtual fan fest. The event will celebrate Netflix’s genre slate with exclusive news, sneak peeks, talent panels and more from our genre films, series, and games. Join us for Geeked Week everyday June 6th - 10th right here: http://geekedweek.com/
Old 05-16-22, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I'm very surprised that Netflix hasn't experimented with live content before. The stand-up specials seem like a natural fit. It also potentially opens up things for concerts and PPV events.
Old 05-16-22, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think so. My sons each have a kids fire tablet and they have a shared Netflix kids profile, but those tablets have never been linked to the Xbox or Apple TV in any way. As far as I can tell in the Netflix app, there's no way to control a device other than the one you're watching on. And it couldn't be straight casting, as both the Xbox and Apple TV opened their own copies of the Netflix app and launched stuff, so they weren't just mirroring a screen from something else. For now, I'm just leaving Netflix off my Xbox. It happened one more time with the Apple TV last night, but hasn't happened today, so maybe it was just a bizarre fluke.
Old 05-16-22, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Anyone else having issues with Netflix launching itself on devices? This weekend, it started launching itself on my Xbox. We would be watching something on another streaming service and all of a sudden Netflix would open, go into one of our profiles and start playing something. It interrupted what we were watching frequently enough that I just deleted the app for now.

Tonight, on a different tv in another room, our AppleTV has now turned itself and the tv on and launched Netflix twice.
Does your remote have a dedicated Netflix hot button? Maybe the button is stuck. Maybe remove the batteries for a couple minutes.
Old 05-16-22, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Does your remote have a dedicated Netflix hot button? Maybe the button is stuck. Maybe remove the batteries for a couple minutes.
No dedicated Netflix button on either set up. It’s a minimum of 6 or 7 button presses to get either one to do what they were doing. It was really weird.
Old 05-29-22, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I wonder if Netflix would regain customers if it had live channels(like Shudder,etc).

It would make it easier to find stuff to watch.

Have horror,drama,action,comedy,anime ,etc channels.
Old 06-02-22, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Looks like Netflix is going to try to cut back on greenlighting so many movies and try to be more selective.

Old 06-02-22, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I wonder if Netflix would regain customers if it had live channels(like Shudder,etc).

It would make it easier to find stuff to watch.

Have horror,drama,action,comedy,anime ,etc channels.
Are live channels really a draw? I always wondered if anyone actually watched those channels on Shudder.
Old 06-03-22, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Are live channels really a draw? I always wondered if anyone actually watched those channels on Shudder.
If I see something I like on Shudder's channels then I will search it out unless it just started.

Plus the live channels have Joe Bob Briggs Last Drive-In when it makes it's debut.

I thought Peacock TV has live channels.
Old 06-03-22, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by clckworang
The only live channels I watch are the ones on Pluto TV like the MST3K channel or something to have on in the background.
Old 06-03-22, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
The only live channels I watch are the ones on Pluto TV like the MST3K channel or something to have on in the background.
I watch Tokushoutsu on my retrocrush app every once in a while but that's because that content generally isn't available on demand. I mean you can probably simulate this by using the Netflix "play something" button.
Old 06-03-22, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

I actually had a dream this week that Netflix had a live channel, they were showing one of their series in order with no stupid Skip Intro prompts over the intro. Someone should program something like an independent TV station.
Old 06-03-22, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Looks like Netflix is going to try to cut back on greenlighting so many movies and try to be more selective.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/s...GE43_3LfXtAeQA
Super-insulting to call The Irishman a vanity project. It was an excellent movie all around. They wouldn't be talking like that if Scorsese hadn't bolted to Apple TV+.
Why So Blu? (06-03-22)
Old 06-03-22, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
If I see something I like on Shudder's channels then I will search it out unless it just started.

Plus the live channels have Joe Bob Briggs Last Drive-In when it makes it's debut.

I thought Peacock TV has live channels.
I didn't even count Joe Bob Briggs since that's more of a live event. I'll flip through the live channels to see what's on, but I've never stopped and watched anything on one.
Old 06-04-22, 11:07 AM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I actually had a dream this week that Netflix had a live channel, they were showing one of their series in order with no stupid Skip Intro prompts over the intro. Someone should program something like an independent TV station.
I love the skip intro feature. I would guess a lot of people do. It's a very convenient feature to have. Nothing stupid about it.
Old 06-04-22, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Yep me too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.