Reload this Page >

Netflix - News & Discussion

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Netflix - News & Discussion

Old 04-19-22, 05:46 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts
Re: Netflix - News & Discussion

Originally Posted by DJariya
Netflix can drop like 200 new shows and movies per month and I’m just speculating, but I think maybe less than 10% get watched or any kind of attention.
I can understand a different budgeted / genre movie every week of the year, but the amount of shows they drop with new seasons regularly is too much.
Old 04-20-22, 12:17 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I’m about ready to cancel to myself. Them upping the subscription cost to $20 for 4k and charging more for shared accounts, and yet I still can’t buy a 1 stream at a time 4k account has just about done it.

I’ll probably just pick it up whenever something drops that I really want to watch.
Old 04-20-22, 04:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

That’s what I’ve been doing for the past year. I’ve spent on them for one month to watch a couple of shows. Saves me a lot by doing it this way.
Old 04-20-22, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Dang, the loss of subscriber base is going to be painful for their content side. Looks like animation is the first domino to fall. I really hope someone picks up Bone, but I've liked a lot of their exclusive animation (not sure how much of it is in house):

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...220251819.html

Phil Rynda, whose official title is Netflix’s Director of Creative Leadership and Development for Original Animation, was let go this week, along with several of his staff, TheWrap can exclusively report and Netflix has confirmed.

According to several creators who spoke to TheWrap, the Kids & Family space at Netflix Animation has changed. Series that benefited from great word-of-mouth and critical praise aren’t being renewed and several high-profile projects have been unceremoniously canceled, including the long-delayed adaptation of Jeff Smith’s beloved comic book series “Bone” (first announced back in 2019). Netflix, which just saw its stock plummet more than 30% after revealing a subscriber and revenue loss during its first-quarter earning report Tuesday, isn’t just in trouble on Wall Street. It’s also facing complications in Toon Town.
Old 04-20-22, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

AppleTV / Netflix merger in the cards?
Old 04-20-22, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

They’ve shot themselves in the foot with the way they chase new subscriptions instead of nurturing their existing audience. Canceling shows if they’re not mega hits and all the shows they lost to Disney and Paramount+ has really hit them hard.

I saw a suggestion on Twitter that they could spend smaller amounts and buy the rights for classic tv shows that haven’t been seen in years.

We’re definitely thinking of cutting it. We watch Hulu and Paramount+ and HBOMax more than the rest with a little bit of Disney too.
Old 04-20-22, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

New content is what gives them buzz and excitement. No one gives a crap if they buy the streaming rights to Buck Rogers or Land of the Lost.

Yes it’s super expensive to keep cranking out thousands of new shows and movies a year that maybe only 10% get watched. But that’s how cutthroat this business has become.

The majority who have Netflix want new shows and movies. Even if many aren’t good.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-20-22 at 07:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
John Pannozzi (04-21-22), Why So Blu? (04-20-22)
Old 04-20-22, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

I'd also suggest not spend astronomical amounts for features. I liked Red Notice, but didn't they fund that shit for like 200 million and greenlight a sequel for the same amount? They gotta scale that shit back a bit. They write really big blank checks for some of this stuff.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (04-21-22)
Old 04-20-22, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'd also suggest not spend astronomical amounts for features. I liked Red Notice, but didn't they fund that shit for like 200 million and greenlight a sequel for the same amount? They gotta scale that shit back a bit. They write really big blank checks for some of this stuff.
Two sequels. Along with $400m for two sequels for Knives Out.

They're trying too hard to be a full cable replacement that appeals to all age groups across all genres and are ending up with a pretty mediocre selection.
Why So Blu? (04-21-22)
Old 04-20-22, 09:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Quantity vs quality. While I haven’t been into most of the Apple shows, I think their overall offerings are way above than most of the volume Netflix provides.
Old 04-20-22, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The animation news stings, but I will say one area Netflix beats stuff like Apple Plus is in kids programming. It's one of the main reasons I don't drop the service and just subscribe every once in a while.
Old 04-20-22, 10:01 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

You know, like cable TV

It’s like morons running this Netflix shitshow just discovered how network and cable TV works
Old 04-20-22, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And other streamers (HBO Max and Hulu).

At least this isn't overblown, they lost a massive 200,000 subscribers and barely have 222 million left. Why are they even bothering pfft..
Old 04-21-22, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Netflix is basically like a cheesecake factory menu, you literally have thousands of shows and movies and new releases every single week. I think the average person will be overwhelmed at how much there is and not have any idea what to watch. Plus, so much of their new content is never even advertised. Quantity isn't necessarily a good thing. And Netflix constantly releases new international content from Korea, South America, Taiwan, Europe. How many of you watch any of that stuff? Probably next to none right because you've never heard of it and don't have the time to look into them.

I heard someone say today that the current business model with Netflix isn't sustainable. Plus, they don't have other business avenues to fall back on like Apple and Prime video. Disney is Disney. Peacock/Comcast is a big empire as well.
Old 04-21-22, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
The animation news stings, but I will say one area Netflix beats stuff like Apple Plus is in kids programming. It's one of the main reasons I don't drop the service and just subscribe every once in a while.
Which is crazy, but I assume that their anime/anime style stuff does bocoup views I just saw that the second season of Pacific Rim: The Black premiered. Bones seems to be American made/for American audiences non-anime-niche shit.
Old 04-21-22, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
And other streamers (HBO Max and Hulu).

At least this isn't overblown, they lost a massive 200,000 subscribers and barely have 222 million left. Why are they even bothering pfft..
Barely? They're forecasting 2 millioncsubscription loss for Q2. Now that's massive. The war in Russia/Ukraine doesn't help, because they cut off Netflix for 700,000 subscribers in that region. That's a big ass dent.
Old 04-21-22, 06:30 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Netflix is basically like a cheesecake factory menu, you literally have thousands of shows and movies and new releases every single week. I think the average person will be overwhelmed at how much there is and not have any idea what to watch. Plus, so much of their new content is never even advertised. Quantity isn't necessarily a good thing. And Netflix constantly releases new international content from Korea, South America, Taiwan, Europe. How many of you watch any of that stuff? Probably next to none right because you've never heard of it and don't have the time to look into them.

I heard someone say today that the current business model with Netflix isn't sustainable. Plus, they don't have other business avenues to fall back on like Apple and Prime video. Disney is Disney. Peacock/Comcast is a big empire as well.
That's where Disney+, Amazon Prime and Peacock have hit them hard. The three of them advertise on cable TV and internet ads their current and upcoming content. It helps Peacock to have WWE as they serve as a promotional tool due to their monthly PPV and exclusive shows. Same with Disney+ promoting the latest Marvel/Star Wars TV show or Pixar release. Netflix barely promotes anything outside a big project like Stranger Things. HBOMax sucks at promoting their content too. They hardly promote any of their original shows or movie releases. Most people learned that Batman was released on Monday through word of mouth. They don't promoted when a show like Late Night Tonight or Young Justice is back with their new season. For fucks sake, they barely have promoted Winning Time after the first episode.

I know that HBO may be missing on doing some of this stuff due to the latest corporate changes but there's no excuse for Netflix to do the same. Shows like Kid Cosmic, Is it Cake, the He-Man cartoons have 0 advertising. Netflix can't expect people to subscribe and then find out what they have. They need to promote their shows.

Also, I feel that since they took out their stars rating system, people don't feel compelled to watch something that they didn't plan on doing beforehand. The star system opened opportunities for lesser known movies or shows to flourish due to having a good rating among viewers.
DJariya (04-21-22)
Old 04-21-22, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think if you watch that stuff, you know about it. My wife watches a lot of Korean dramas and her lists are filled with it, while I'm sure for others it's buried deep. I do think their algorithms do a decent job of trying to show you things similar to what you've already watched, as long as you keep your profiles separate. And they have so much content it's not trivial, I'm sure, to show everything. It does kind of tick me off because I swear the ui is different on each device: I moved to an apple tv and I can't for the life of me find the "new" section which lists stuff coming this week, coming next week, coming in the future, etc. It was the main way I could keep up with what was going to come out and when. Also sometimes I can't even find the "continue watching" list.

I agree that the Batman drop was odd, but HBO Max seems to advertise a bunch, at least with their top upcoming programming. Prime is the one where I feel like they just put whatever out to little fanfare unless it's really big like the Boys or something.

But yeah, their business model, at least when it comes to stock valuation, was unsustainable. It's all projected and continual growth, and at some point (like now) that growth is going to slow or stop or reverse not only because of competitors but because at some point everyone has heard of Netflix and tried it out. They are spending a ton of money to try to keep that growth but even if that had 100% hits and every dollar was spent the most efficient way (which it's not) that wouldn't be sustainable.
Old 04-21-22, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I still think there's a market for catalog titles to help keep some subscribers but I do agree that they need to do a better job of showing the stuff they have. Whenever we go looking for something new to watch, it just shows us the same 10 or so shows over and over. If they're going to buy all this other stuff, they have to let us know about it.
John Pannozzi (04-21-22)
Old 04-21-22, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah. Somebody needs to saunter over and whisper into Sarandos' ear, "Your algorithms are bullshit."
John Pannozzi (04-21-22)
Old 04-21-22, 01:01 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Raising the price and penalizing people for sharing family accounts (which is coincidentally the only way to get 4k) was never a good idea.
The following 2 users liked this post by Eric F:
Alan Smithee (04-21-22), John Pannozzi (04-21-22)
Old 04-21-22, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

Milo, I agree that putting aside all the other complaints one might have about Netflix, that they need to stop dropping 200m for things like Red Notice, slow down on the price increases, and nurture shows more instead of ruthlessly killing them before they can get a second season and prove if it is worth Netflix's time and money to help the show see a third season, that it is so hard to easily and quickly find many of the thousands of shows and films that are theoretically available to watch. If all you see every time you log in is the latest stuff being pushed, or just the handful of stuff that is trending, but no way to dive deep into the Netflix catalog without it being a time consuming task, then Netflix is not making it easy to unlock all the hidden value in that content that folks struggle to find.

Unless a show/film that was listed on Netflix many years back is already in your List, or is a long term show with new seasons coming out every year or two, or something that makes it easier for it to pop up on your Netflix screen when you fire up Netflix, it just makes you pause and go well, nothing catches my eye at the moment, so on to checking out what is new on Hulu, Paramount+, etc..

The overspending is another big concern, between Red Notice and the Knives Out films they are dropping over half a billion for these films, just nuts. They would lose less money if they just took half the spend for these films and just lit it on fire in a giant bonfire of cash. At least they would only be burning up/lose 2-300 million, not 6-700 million, just insane.
John Pannozzi (04-21-22)
Old 04-21-22, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk God

A couple of months ago, I finished the 1st season of "In from the Cold" A spy/science fiction thriller that starred Margarita Levieva. I thought it was pretty entertaining. How many of you heard of it? Probably none right? I did post a thread, but it had virtually no interest. Netflix never advertised the series aside from their own YouTube channel. And the only reason I heard of it was scouring through their "New" section and I watched the trailer.

I assume most of you simply don't have the time to watch all the trailers for new shows/ movies that they release. So unless it's a known IP like Stranger Things, most likely you all will skip through it. So many of their originals get buried into the unwatched pile.
Old 04-21-22, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

A couple of months ago, I finished the 1st season of "In from the Cold" A spy/science fiction thriller that starred Margarita Levieva. I thought it was pretty entertaining. How many of you heard of it? Probably none right? I did post a thread, but it had virtually no interest. Netflix never advertised the series aside from their own YouTube channel. And the only reason I heard of it was scouring through their "New" section and I watched the trailer.

I assume most of you simply don't have the time to watch all the trailers for new shows/ movies that they release. So unless it's a known IP like Stranger Things, most likely you all will skip through it. So many of their originals get buried into the unwatched pile.
Ha, I get that one in my recs all the time. It must be in my algorithm from other sci-fi. I haven’t been convinced to pull the trigger, though.

The other day I watched a dubbed Italian series called Devotion that I considered starting a thread about (it came out in February) but I figured it’d be pointless.
Old 04-21-22, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

And Netflix constantly releases new international content from Korea, South America, Taiwan, Europe. How many of you watch any of that stuff? Probably next to none right because you've never heard of it and don't have the time to look into them.
I am one of those anomalous viewers whose native language is English yet whose queue is made up of probably 75% subtitled shows and movies. The foreign stuff is my main reason for sticking with Netflix, as it's the only streamer that really offers something DIFFERENT--I don't do Star Wars or superhero films, and Netflix is now mostly free of that sort of programming. I probably check out a new South Korean or Japanese series every two months or so, and I've enjoyed all of the ones that I've watched. Netflix is one of the only streamers who, because of their worldwide dominance, actively pursues adding foreign programming, and that suits me just fine (The Criterion Channel also keeps me pretty happy in that regard). Sure, most of the other streamers have a smattering of international offerings, but Netflix's catalogue is so deep that I'll never get them all watched. As uncool as it may be to say it, Netflix is by FAR my favorite streaming channel.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.