Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Netflix - News & Discussion

Old 07-20-19, 07:00 AM

Re: Netflix - News & Discussion

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
I gave them plenty of feedback as to why I cancelled them and what they could do to keep me as a subscriber (basically give me a setting to stop breaking into end credits- and no, I don't want to "simply click on them" to bring them back- the effect is like a kid grabbing your remote and going to town) but they chose to do nothing. Others have cancelled because the automatic previews that play while browsing annoys them, but they simply said that was "the intended experience" and did nothing about it. That kind of arrogance will always come back to bite you.
The "intended experience" also includes auto playing the next episode. At least they let you turn that off, though only thru the website. No reason not to have the same option for previews... or at least the option to auto mute the damn things.
Old 07-20-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My (browser based) Netflix previews are always muted, unless I click to un-mute them. Is this not what you guys are seeing?
Old 07-20-19, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
My (browser based) Netflix previews are always muted, unless I click to un-mute them. Is this not what you guys are seeing?
I never watch Netflix via a browser but thru the Apple TV/Fire TV apps... they auto play with audio.
Old 07-22-19, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
If you're willing to give up all their content because you don't like that previews auto-play, I'd have to guess Netflix doesn't care about losing you as a customer.
Like I said, arrogance. I don't personally have an issue with that, but I've seen many other complaints about that with some saying they would be cancelling if that wasn't fixed. Certainly enough that they should do SOMETHING about that instead of saying "you'll take it and like it."

NO serious viewer should be OK with what they do with end credits- at best it's a minor annoyance, in the worst cases it really ruins the ending, plus it's a huge "fuck you" to everyone who worked on the show or movie- they even do it on productions made FOR Netflix and even when they have after-credits scenes! Some have described it as having ice water dumped on you unexpectedly. If they've found that some people like it, then a simple on/off setting would be enough to make everyone happy- but I won't support them anymore if they think that's the optimal way to present a movie. (When watching several movies online, I often get ideas for what to watch next from the end credits, such as cast members or sometimes the mention of another movie that's been referenced or had clips included which are acknowledged.)

Someone even made this video addressing this subject, but nobody at Netflix will so much as say a word in response:

(YouTube has a better and more customizable viewing experience than Netflix, and they're FREE!)
Old 07-22-19, 04:10 AM

There is a setting that turns the auto play off.
Old 07-22-19, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
There is a setting that turns the auto play off.
For the next episode not for the previews.
Old 07-22-19, 12:21 PM

NO serious viewer should be OK with what they do with end credits- at best it's a minor annoyance, in the worst cases it really ruins the ending, plus it's a huge "fuck you" to everyone who worked on the show or movie- they even do it on productions made FOR Netflix and even when they have after-credits scenes! Some have described it as having ice water dumped on you unexpectedly. If they've found that some people like it, then a simple on/off setting would be enough to make everyone happy- but I won't support them anymore if they think that's the optimal way to present a movie.
I hear where you're coming from, and that's a great video and I agree with it. You're making two assumptions I don't buy, though. I know you consider yourself "a serious viewer," but you're using a "No True Scotsman" logical fallacy to claim your way is the best. Second, I don't think anyone is saying Netflix is trying to present movies in the optimal way. They're doing it in the optimal make money way. Again, I agree I'd like to see settings that let me watch credits without making that decision each time, or not have autoplay previews, etc. But even as a serious viewer, I know the service I use to watch movies is trying to make money.
Old 07-22-19, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

How are they making money when they are doing things that make people cancel their subscriptions? Common sense would say "People are giving this as the reason why they cancelled, let's just put in a simple on/off setting for it and we'll get them back. Those who don't mind it can just keep it on and hopefully get the effect we want them to get from it." Instead they give the bullshit line "We are constantly improving and appreciate your feedback," yet in the end change absolutely nothing- in fact I heard they added yet ANOTHER annoyance, a "Watch That Scene Again" button that pops up periodically- heard about that a few months ago and don't know if they're still doing that, but that certainly shows that their people have no concept of letting us watch their material with ZERO interruptions.

Second, I don't think anyone is saying Netflix is trying to present movies in the optimal way.
They seem to want us to think they are- I just saw a TV advertised with "Netflix Calibrated mode, to ensure you see things the way the creators intended"- there should be small print saying "excepting the intros and endings." The TV I have is listed as a "Netflix Recommended" model, but its interface is annoying. Older TVs and Roku models at least still have the older Netflix interface which is mostly unintrusive- of course you can't access 4K on those, and people who care enough to pay extra for the best quality just might actually care about how that quality was brought to them.

Netflix used to think outside the box, and seemed responsive to what their customers wanted (they killed the whole "Qwikster" thing when people said that was a bad idea) but now are behaving just like cable networks and the like. So that's why I'm glad to hear they're losing enough subscribers to be newsworthy; maybe they'll actually start listening to the reasons why people cancel. I wouldn't have even minded the price increase otherwise; I thought they were actually under-priced when they started out- but now it's clear a lot of that money is being used to pay their people to find ways to make the viewing experience more annoying, rather than keeping that simple and spending money on as much content as they could get.

Their "company culture" states that they appreciate honesty from their employees; if I were working for them I would have had a meeting with Reed Hastings to tell him how wrong I think this is, and leave if it continued.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 07-22-19 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-23-19, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How are they making money when they are doing things that make people cancel their subscriptions?
As of Jan, they had 139 million paying subs; math that out. That's how.
Old 07-24-19, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Alan Smithee clearly isn't the only one who's grown tired of Netflix.

Netflix’s Subscriber Shortfall Shaves $15 Billion Off Its Value

Shares of the streaming-video service fell as much as 11%, their biggest drop since July 2018. Netflix signed up 2.8 million international customers in the quarter, almost two million fewer than expected. The company also lost 130,000 domestic subscribers as a result of higher prices and a weak slate of TV shows.
Old 07-26-19, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Is anyone else having problems finding the CW DC shows on Netflix? When I search for a The Flash, Legends Of Tomorrow and Black Lightning I get nothing. But if I go to JustWatch and search for the shows, it takes me to them. But when I do that, it won’t give me the option to add them to my queue.
Old 07-26-19, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Is anyone else having problems finding the CW DC shows on Netflix? When I search for a The Flash, Legends Of Tomorrow and Black Lightning I get nothing. But if I go to JustWatch and search for the shows, it takes me to them. But when I do that, it won’t give me the option to add them to my queue.
I already have them in my continue watching list. I also searched and was able to find them that way.
Old 07-26-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

i Was on my iPad when I couldn’t find them. I checked on my Apple TV they were there.
Old 08-07-19, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://deadline.com/2019/08/game-of...ss-1202663930/

Weiss and Benioff just signed a 9-figure development deal with Netflix.

Probably going to be awhile before they get any project going. They still have their new Star Wars film to get up and running.

My guess it's going to be at least 3-4 years before we see their 1st big Netflix project ready to be seen.
Old 08-07-19, 09:32 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix spending money like it's water.
Old 08-08-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...x-deal-1230119

Weiss and Benioff's deal is reportedly worth $200M
Old 08-08-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe they'll spend it all in one place and make Bright 3.
Old 08-10-19, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...x-deal-1230119

Weiss and Benioff's deal is reportedly worth $200M
My God, that's crazy money.
Old 08-11-19, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What's crazier is Jonah Nolan and Lisa Joy got a similarly ridiculous deal from Amazon
Old 08-15-19, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
My God, that's crazy money.
Sadly, it probably means a lot of their "on the bubble" shows in terms of popularity/viewership will get the ax...we've already seen them say goodbye to "The OA."

Rumor is they paid $100 million for Comedian in Cars Getting Coffee as well...so one wonders how much debt Netflix can take on before they start looking for a buyer...or at least a partner.
Old 08-18-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Netflix orders Elvis Animated Action Comedy Series Agent King. I'm a huge Elvis fan, but I doubt I will watch this.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/net...ng-1203304695/
Old 08-18-19, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Netflix orders Elvis Animated Action Comedy Series Agent King. I'm a huge Elvis fan, but I doubt I will watch this.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/net...ng-1203304695/

I like that artwork in the thumbnail.

You'll watch it, though.