Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Netflix - News & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-13, 07:21 AM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts
Re: Netflix - News & Discussion

CBS And Netflix Announce Extension Of Multiyear Licensing Agreement For Library Content In The U.S.

CBS Corporation and Netflix today announced an extension of its multiyear licensing agreement for select CBS library content streamed instantly to Netflix customers. Under the revised deal, new titles such as "L.A. Complex," "4400," and "CSI: NY" will be available to Netflix subscribers. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

In addition to the newly added series, the agreement also includes popular CBS series already on Netflix such as "Jericho," "Medium," and "Flashpoint," as well as episodes from some of television's most iconic franchises, including all generations of the definitive sci-fi series "Star Trek" and the cult favorite "Twin Peaks."

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-...08-907277.html
Old 07-09-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the original contract was for 2 years. I have to assume its another 2 year deal at least.

One thing CBS won't do is allow currently airing shows to be posted on there. CSI:NY was just cancelled in May, so now it's free to be posted. Same with The L.A. Complex. The 4400 ended several years ago.
Old 07-09-13, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Anyone on Verizon having some problems with Netflix?
Nope. I have FioS and it streams at 12 Mbps
Old 07-30-13, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
PBS docs are expiring? Instead of Netflix closing contracts, are there any big ones they've gotten lately? First the 1200 moves that left on May 1st, then the Paramount deal, now this? I want to subscribe again but I'm disappointed that there aren't any real significant announcements for new stuff.
I'm just bent out of shape about all of the stuff disappearing, they yanked one show when I'd just started it and it looks like it stands no chance of coming back. I was always paranoid about streaming as opposed to physical copies precisely because of this kind of thing. Admittedly, it's not like it's gone anywhere, but it's still irritating.
Old 07-31-13, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Breaking Bad season 5A will be posted Friday.
Old 07-31-13, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Has anyone here ever tried reading the Netflix Facebook page? It is the worst. Lots, I mean lots of garbage comments. The page doesn't allow posters to post their own comments, so whenever the site makes an announcement of say Breaking Bad will be posted Friday, you get a bunch of idiots complaining and asking for shows not related to the post.
Old 07-31-13, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Has anyone here ever tried reading the Netflix Facebook page? It is the worst. Lots, I mean lots of garbage comments. The page doesn't allow posters to post their own comments, so whenever the site makes an announcement of say Breaking Bad will be posted Friday, you get a bunch of idiots complaining and asking for shows not related to the post.
Other than the Warner Archive page, I've found it pointless to post anything on other companies Facebook pages.

The WA is the only one that I've seen where a response is given to an individuals post.
Old 07-31-13, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They got rid of their "suggest a movie" thing pretty quickly once the streaming took off, it's certainly harder to recommend something or complain now.
Old 08-01-13, 03:45 PM

Netflix added the Profiles feature today.

Netflix launches user profiles for individual recommendations

Netflix is launching a tool on Thursday that will ensure your spouse's 'Kardashians' binge will no longer wreck your list of recommendations for cerebral French films with a strong female lead.

The new "Profiles" feature will let each Netflix account include up to five separate user profiles. The feature effectively sections off viewing habits for each household member, giving each person individualized suggestions and the ability to add their own favorite titles.

Eddy Wu, Netflix's director of product innovation, told CNNMoney it's long been obvious to the company that a father wouldn't want to watch "Dora the Explorer" simply because his two-year-old watched "SpongeBob Squarepants."

Wu noted that Netflix had been toying with different ways to solve that problem, but the company was resistant to introduce a feature that added an extra step for users.

"We tried a few things that didn't involve explicitly making profiles, because we didn't want to make it too complex for people," Wu said.

Ultimately, Netflix decided this setup was fairly seamless. In addition to profiles for family members, the new feature also lets users create profiles around themes of their choosing, like "Date Night."

The profiles feature will also let users link their Facebook accounts, in order to share their individual viewing history and get recommendations from friends. Netflix added Facebook integration in March after lobbying Congress to change an old video law.

For now, profiles will be available on Netflix's website, the Sony PlayStation 3, the Microsoft Xbox 360, Apple iOS devices and most smart TVs. Google Android devices won't support Netflix profiles until the end of the fall, Wu said.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/01/tech...les/index.html
Old 08-01-13, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No mention of when the Wii U will have it. I'll have to look later to see if its available. Its become my preferred method of watching Netflix.

Edit: Found a news article that says the Wii will get them mid August. Hopefully that means the Wii U also.

Last edited by Lone Wolf; 08-01-13 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-02-13, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I couldnt get netflix to even stream anything on the Wii U this morning. Its my favorite Netflix viewer when its working
Old 08-06-13, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thrilled and surprised to see profiles active on the PS3 as I don't often read this thread and hadn't seen the announcement anywhere else. Just a word of caution to any of the parents out there that may use the content level restrictions on their account. When you create a new profile they have full access. You can go to the web interface and set the access there. I don't know if you can set to where only profiles A & B can be accessed via these devices but don't think it is that intelligent yet.
Old 08-20-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

So I'm not going to post all this, but Netflix will be (starting in 2016) getting exclusive rights to The Weinstein Company's first-run movies. That officially puts them on footing with Starz, Showtime, HBO in terms of having at least some first-run movies.

After The Weinstein Company early this morning announced a new deal that makes Netflix its exclusive U.S. subscription television service for first-run films starting in 2016, Netflix stock was trading at above $268, nearly +9 points (+3.4%) from yesterday’s close. Based on its nearly 59 million shares outstanding, that’s an increase in Netflix market value by more than $500 million in a market that overall is up less than 1% today. So who says quality film libraries don’t have value, even if the pay cable rage now is to generate original content?
http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/netf...company-re-up/

http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/netf...lti-year-pact/

With that said, they already do Radius-TWC movies, so Only God Forgives should be on there before the end of the year.
Old 08-21-13, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a way to move movies from one profile queue to another profile queue?
Old 08-21-13, 05:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

So now they call the instant queue "My List" and it is separate from the Blu-ray/DVD queue.
Old 08-21-13, 08:26 PM

Yes, thank you Netflix for rearranging my queue for me. How silly of me for thinking I could do it myself. You are so, so right.

Seriously, I wish I could tell those boneheads how long I spent arranging 300+ titles only to now see that gone... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 08-21-13, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You can go to your account settings and change it to manual ordering. It should go back to the order that you had it in. Mine did.
Old 08-25-13, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing i noticed about the My List now is that unless I am mistaken there is no way to be "warned" that a movie is expiring from streaming. I've got like 300 shows and movies in my queue and that was one one way to get me off my butt to watch something next.
Old 08-25-13, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

It isn't in the "Manual" List anymore.. but I found it in their bizarrely sorted list.. under the picture... ugh
Old 08-26-13, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Did anyone else play around with their You Don't Know Jack announcer ripoff Max? In one of the selection processes it has you rate titles in order to get a recommendation. But if you haven't seen the titles, how the fuck are you supposed to rate them?

And has anybody figured out a way to get rid of that Post Play shit? It's okay for TV series, but when the credits are barely even starting it fucking jumps you right out of the movie. Idiotic.
Old 08-27-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You can always select the video and blow it back up to full screen.
Old 08-27-13, 09:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I tried the Max thing. Surprisingly, it picked out something good for me to watch that I probably wouldn't have found on my own. There was a way to select "I haven't seen this" when rating titles, but I can't remember how it worked.
Old 08-27-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There's a Skip button it.
Old 09-14-13, 09:18 PM

How Netflix Uses Piracy to Pick Its Programming

Netflix examines what’s popular on Internet piracy sites as part of its content-development strategy, according to a company executive.

In addition what’s popular among TV viewers in a given country, “when purchasing series, we look at what does well on piracy sites,” Netflix VP of content acquisition Kelly Merryman said, according to a translation of her comments to Tweakers, a technology website based in the Netherlands.

Netflix launched in the Netherlands this week, the 41st country where it has rolled out, offering its service for €7.99 per month (about $10.59 U.S.).

For the Dutch market, Netflix acquired the rights to “Prison Break” specifically because it has been very popular on pirate sites, Merryman said in the Tweakers interview. The show, which aired in the U.S. on Fox, was produced by 20th Century Fox Television.

Netflix execs have previously claimed that piracy rates decline in countries after it launches. Indeed, CEO Reed Hastings claimed that BitTorrent usage in Canada dropped 50% following the streaming service’s launch in the country.

“Netflix is so much easier than (using BitTorrent),” Hastings said in a separate interview with Tweakers. “You don’t have to deal with files, you don’t have to download them and move them around. You just click and watch.”

http://variety.com/2013/digital/news...ng-1200611539/
Old 09-15-13, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone else play Netflix thru a 360 notice abysmal picture quality lately? Its not my internet connection, as the app on my tv plays it HD. I saw some other topics on the Xbox forum but no solutions. Wondering if its affecting anyone here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.