Netflix - News & Discussion

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Netflix - News & Discussion

Old 01-17-15, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: Netflix - News & Discussion

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Is Netflix still the future? The "freshness" of Netflix's catalog is wearing thin. If it weren't for playing it in the background while working, I'd consider cancelling. But I like to flip between music and Netflix.

I still think that "streaming" is great. Even when paying Amazon to "rent" a few movies a week, you're still at $100-or-so per month. And you have access to thousands of films.

Right now, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon, together, can be used to create one really nice on-demand library of titles. Each has it's own quality issues. But I've never been too privy on that perfect presentation. And it's far cheaper than building a Blu-Ray collection that's going to be obsolete in a few years.
It's interesting you bring that up. Netflix still has first-mover advantage in this market space but the rise of other streaming options has taken the bloom off its rose. Hollywood will continue to demand more and more licensing fees for premium content, I don't think Netflix has much bargaining power.
Old 01-18-15, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler

Since getting rid of my physical collection, I miss "commentaries" more than anything else.
Netflix started adding Commentaries to their exclusive shows. I think House Of Cards has it. Pretty cool I hope one day we get it on movies too. Maybe the first will be for the Crouching Tiger sequel?
Old 01-18-15, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's interesting you bring that up. Netflix still has first-mover advantage in this market space but the rise of other streaming options has taken the bloom off its rose. Hollywood will continue to demand more and more licensing fees for premium content, I don't think Netflix has much bargaining power.
I think Netflix is covering its bases in the eventual cost of licensing by creating their own content. Thus the popularity of their shows is a good sign for them to keep investing and not rely so much on licensing. I see them striving for a 50-50 ratio of their own programming along with licensed shows and movies. Don't they keep track of torrented and pirated shows and movies in order to gauge the popularity and keep an eye on licensing those if possible? It won't be easy to stay number one but I think Netflix is going about the right way.
Old 02-06-15, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Netflix Is Developing a Live-Action ‘Legend of Zelda’ Series

“The Legend of Zelda,” one of the most popular videogame series of all time, is in the works as a television show at Netflix.

The video streaming service is in the early stages of developing a live action series based on “Zelda,” about an ordinary boy named Link who must rescue a princess named Zelda and save a fantasy world called Hyrule, said a person familiar with the matter. As it seeks writers to work on the show, Netflix is describing it as “Game of Thrones” for a family audience, this person said.

The “Zelda” games have traditionally included swords and sorcery, like “Game of Thrones” or “Lord of the Rings,” but typically with a more light-hearted, kid-friendly tone.

Netflix is said to be working closely with Nintendo, the Japanese game developer that has made about 20 “The Legend of Zelda” games since the original, which was released in the U.S. in 1987.

Nintendo is very protective of its intellectual property and has allowed few adaptations over the years. An animated “Legend of Zelda” series ran for just one season in 1989. A 1993 movie based on Nintendo’s “Super Mario Bros.” was an infamous bomb.

As it is still seeking a writer to work on the series, Netflix has a long road to travel before a “Legend of Zelda” series actually becomes a reality. It’s also possible that Netflix or Nintendo will kill the project before it gets off the ground.

A Netflix spokeswoman declined to comment. A Nintendo spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/...etflix-series/
Old 02-06-15, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I think Netflix is covering its bases in the eventual cost of licensing by creating their own content. Thus the popularity of their shows is a good sign for them to keep investing and not rely so much on licensing. I see them striving for a 50-50 ratio of their own programming along with licensed shows and movies. Don't they keep track of torrented and pirated shows and movies in order to gauge the popularity and keep an eye on licensing those if possible? It won't be easy to stay number one but I think Netflix is going about the right way.
50-50 would seem ideal from a beancounter's perspective, but it seems like that would require them to really step up and produce a crapload of watchable content. I'm sure for marketing reasons they'd need to keep the number of available titles in four digits, and even at the very bottom of that number, they'd need to have 50 TV seasons of 10 episodes each.

I was going to post this in the "starting to suck" thread, but I still have physical discs, and it seems like these days every shipment gets delayed a day either coming or going, which is annoying when you're trying to coordinate weekend watching. I need to keep evaluating digital options for new-release rentals.
Old 02-09-15, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Netflix announced that it will be releasing its streaming services in Japan in the fall but the Cuba announcement has me puzzled since they are keeping the $8 subscription price but the average Cuban earns $20 at month and even regular internet access is only accessible by a select few.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/09/netflix-cuba/
Old 02-25-15, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts

Saw this on my list of categories tonight
Hints as to what's to come this season?

Watched by Claire Underwood

Politician's Husband
The Iron Lady
Siberian Lady macbeth
Lady Vengeance
Scandal
Mean Girls
An Affair to Remember
2 Days in New York
Smash His Camera
Two Can Play That Game
Ultrasuede in Search of Halston
Last Call at the Oasis
Bottled LIfe
The Hot Flashes
Old 02-26-15, 12:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

i could see all those themes in this season...
Old 03-04-15, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Another big get for Netflix...

Netflix buys Idris Elba movie, usual furor ensues
By Katie Rife@futureschlock Mar 4, 2015 11:38 AM

Flush with $1 billion in borrowed cash and the lust for power that comes from binge-watching House Of Cards, Netflix recently paid a reported $12 million to acquire the rights to the child-soldier drama Beasts Of No Nation. Directed by True Detective’s Cary Fukunaga from the novel by Uzodinma Iweala, the film stars Idris Elba as a guerrilla commander in an unnamed West African country who takes in a young boy and trains him to serve as a child soldier. It’s a marked change of pace for Netflix, whose other original projects will feature more horse-poop jokes and thrilling highwire stunts than systematic dehumanization. (Although the streaming service still has three Adam Sandler movies to go, so the systematic dehumanization thing may just happen naturally.)

Netflix reportedly outbid major distributors like Fox Searchlight and Focus Features to acquire the film, a sign that it’s pursuing alternate methods of filling in its trophy case now that Orange Is The New Black isn’t considered a comedy for Emmy purposes anymore. To this end, the streaming service is planning to give its undoubtedly brutally depressing new $12 million acquisition a proper theatrical release—albeit on the same day that the film will debut on Netflix.

The company tried this so-called “day and date” method once before with its Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel, the announcement of which resulted in a boycott of the film from America’s three largest theater chains. Perhaps unsurprisingly, given that the nachos you can make at home are still infinitely better than the flavorless cardboard discs available at your local multiplex, those same theater chains have now vowed to boycott Beasts Of No Nation as well. But considering that the film’s theatrical run seems to be a mere formality required to qualify Beasts Of No Nation for next year’s Oscars, as long as someone shows the movie—and 200 or so independent theaters are expected to do just that—it’s debatable how much Netflix actually cares.
http://www.avclub.com/article/netfli...-ensues-216030
Old 03-15-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Netflix is passing on Seinfeld:

Seinfeld Nears Streaming Video Deal, Yada Yada Yada
By JOE FLINT

“Seinfeld” is about to become master of a whole new domain: the Internet.

Sony Pictures Television, a unit of Sony Corp., is in advanced talks to sell reruns of the hit 1990s NBC sitcom to an online video service, and expects to have a deal wrapped up in the next few weeks, people familiar with the situation said.

Among the bidders chasing the rights to the “show about nothing” are Hulu, Amazon and Yahoo. The deal could fetch a price well north of half a million dollars per episode, the people said. There are 180 Seinfeld episodes.

Netflix, which last year took a hard look at “Seinfeld,” is taking a pass on the show, a person familiar with the matter said.

Reruns of “Seinfeld have been on local TV stations and the cable channel TBS for years, but the buyers believe it has potential to continue that run for another several years on the Web. There, it could hold appeal for a generation of cord-cutters who can’t catch Seinfeld episodes on cable, and will allow users to search for their favorite episodes on-demand.

Landing the online video rights could elevate the stature of Hulu, Amazon and Yahoo, all of whom are in the large shadow of Netflix.

When Netflix acquired “Friends” last year from Warner Bros., it paid more than $500,000 per-episode, a person with knowledge of the deal said. Sony is seeking a higher price than what Warner Bros. received for “Friends.”

The price will depend, in part, on the length of the deal. The “Friends” agreement with Netflix runs for four years, which may be too short for some of the “Seinfeld” bidders. One suitor said a price tag higher than “Friends” doesn’t make sense if the contract is for less than ten years.

An agreement with an online video service would not mean the end of “Seinfeld” repeats on other outlets. “Friends” remains in heavy rotation on TBS even though Netflix has the rights and does not have commercials. Despite the addition of “Friends” to Netflix, ratings for the reruns on TBS have held steady.

Both Hulu and Amazon have been aggressive in acquiring content as they compete against Netflix. Hulu, which is owned by Walt Disney Co., Comcast Corp. and 21st Century Fox, recently bought reruns of the long-running CBS hit “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.” Amazon struck a deal with HBO last year for rights to many of its shows including “The Sopranos” and “Girls.”

Yahoo has been less active on the acquisition front, but has recently been making deals in an effort to make a splash. Besides an agreement with TV news personality Katie Couric, it also is buying new episodes of the cult hit “Community” that is produced by Sony and used to air on NBC.

Sony has long held distribution rights for “Seinfeld,” but the majority of the revenue from a sale will go to Time Warner Inc.’s Warner Bros., which acquired “Seinfeld” producer Castle Rock Entertainment as part of its 1996 purchase of Turner Broadcasting System.

“Seinfeld” creators Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David are also profit participants in the show, which Warner Bros. said in 2010 had generated $2.7 billion in syndication revenue.
http://blogs.wsj.com/cmo/2015/03/13/...eal-yada-yada/

For selfish reasons I was hoping it'd be Netflix. Of the services in the running, it runs smoothest on my BD player. Plus I'm holding steady against Hulu (because of the commercials). If they get the show I guess I'll stick with the meager offerings on Crackle when I need a Costanza fix.
Old 03-16-15, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Apparently they want $500k an episode ($90m total) which most analysts agree is ridiculous.
Old 03-16-15, 02:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Which They should have done instead of giving that same amount for friends
Old 03-20-15, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone uses Netflix on a computer, there is a new God Mode "bookmarklet" that allows you to view all the movies at once instead of having to use the arrow buttons to scroll.

http://bit2pixel.com/netflix-god-mode/

This article explains it in a little more detail:

http://www.avclub.com/article/browse...-modifi-216860

Spoiler:
Browse Netflix with a newfound ease using the God Mode modification

In the days before TVs were smart, when most people watched movies in theaters or by having shiny plastic discs delivered to their home by mailmen, Netflix “Watch Instantly” was a feature reserved only for the few brave enough to sit down at their computer and watch an entire movie. The web interface was, if not well designed, at least functional. But then came the Rokus and the Xboxes, and with them a unified design for Netflix browsing; one wholly unsuited for those with a perfectly functional mouse and keyboard. Scrolling through categories suddenly became a colossal chore as clicking to see a list, or even clicking to scroll, was replaced by hovering over an arrow to move glacially to one direction or another.

Enter God Mode, a bookmarklet by developer Renan Cakirek that eliminates the arrow entirely. Simply click the God Mode button to spread out every single row category of content into multiple, easily viewable images. It’s an absolute game changer for anyone still viewing Netflix content on a PC.
Old 03-24-15, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

question/gripe from a roku user (happened on the blu app for netflix as well) I'm an end credits watcher & am not a fan of cutting to a preview/or ad for suggestions or what the next episode is right away. Any way to turn that off or am i screwed
Old 03-24-15, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
question/gripe from a roku user (happened on the blu app for netflix as well) I'm an end credits watcher & am not a fan of cutting to a preview/or ad for suggestions or what the next episode is right away. Any way to turn that off or am i screwed
You can shut that feature off via the website, it's post-play but shows up on the website as Playback Settings -> Preferences -> Play Next Episode Automatically.

Uncheck that and it should stop. You can also select the window the credits show up in and press "Enter" to make it fill the screen back up.
Old 03-24-15, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cannot turn that off. All you can do is remove the preview/ads from your screen with the remote after it already has appeared.
Old 03-24-15, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
You can shut that feature off via the website, it's post-play but shows up on the website as Playback Settings -> Preferences -> Play Next Episode Automatically.

Uncheck that and it should stop. You can also select the window the credits show up in and press "Enter" to make it fill the screen back up.
He wasn't asking about post-play. He was trying to stop the credits from shrinking for a preview or ad, which you cannot do.
Old 03-24-15, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by otmetrud
He wasn't asking about post-play. He was trying to stop the credits from shrinking for a preview or ad, which you cannot do.
I've never seen a preview or ad on my phone or roku 3 outside of the "suggestions" pop-up in post-play, which goes away when post-play is disabled, weird. What kind of previews/ads do they show?

Last edited by RichC2; 03-24-15 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-24-15, 08:33 AM

Nope, unless you want to "upgrade" to an older model that doesn't support this #$%$ forced feature and has the old UI, like a Roku 2 XS.
Old 03-24-15, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
I've never seen a preview or ad on my phone or roku 3 outside of the "suggestions" pop-up in post-play, which goes away when post-play is disabled, weird. What kind of previews/ads do they show?
like i watched Ida, & when it was over there was a big ad for Orange is the new black & even had a countdown clicker to watch a preview.
Old 03-24-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting. I guess I don't really watch a lot of movies on there, mostly TV shows.
Old 03-24-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Wow, that's a huge chunk of cash for Seinfeld, but I can see how some services would consider it the Holy Grail depending on their demographic.

And I didn't realize that Warner had such a large stake in it. So they'd be raking it in from both Seinfeld and Friends.
Old 03-24-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A whole bunch of WB stuff drops at the end of the month, so at least one of their contracts must be up.
Old 03-29-15, 09:11 AM
Banned

When do new movies get added to Netflix? By that I mean brand new movies currently in theaters, like Age of Ultron. Do they come to Netflix when they get released on DVD/BD or does it take longer? I am just wondering if it is worth subscribing to both Netflix streaming and physical media.
Old 03-29-15, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
When do new movies get added to Netflix? By that I mean brand new movies currently in theaters, like Age of Ultron. Do they come to Netflix when they get released on DVD/BD or does it take longer? I am just wondering if it is worth subscribing to both Netflix streaming and physical media.
Do you mean Physically or Digitally? They get the Physical DVD/BD either day of release or 30 days after depending on the company (same as Red Box).

Netflix Streaming is not a first run service like HBO/Cinemax/EPIX. Not yet at least (though it was never intended to be). They do occasionally get some new movies through their Epix deal and some through their Marvel/Disney deal. ie: They got Catching Fire about 8 months after release, I assume the same will happen for Mockingjay Pt 1. Unfortunately since Avengers is no longer on Netflix I can't give you an estimate as to how long it'll be before the sequel shows up on Netflix. The biggest semi-current movies Netflix has on it are probably Robocop (2014) and How to Train Your Dragon 2. They usually have the good though smaller movies (Chef, Stretch, Force Majeure, Frank, Kid Cannabis, Copenhagen, The One I Love, White Bird in a Blizzard, etc; )

Last edited by RichC2; 03-29-15 at 09:36 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.