DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   Warner Archive Instant coming to Roku (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/608411-warner-archive-instant-coming-roku.html)

islandclaws 02-01-13 04:25 PM

Warner Archive Instant coming to Roku

Article on AICN here.

If this all lines up how I'd like it to, it'll be an amazing channel to have.

TheBigDave 02-01-13 04:46 PM

Re: Warner Archive Instant coming to Roku

I'm definitely interested. Hopefully they'll go big with this and make the full library available. But I'll be disappointed if it's just a couple hundred movies.

Geofferson 02-03-13 12:12 PM

This has a lot of potential. Eager to learn more.

davidh777 02-05-13 03:57 PM

All depends on the price, of course. I love the potential selection of movies, but I already own a ton of them.

hanshotfirst1138 02-11-13 08:57 PM

Hmm, I was thinking of getting Apple TV, but this is tempting...

whotony 02-11-13 10:59 PM

The HD stuff looks good but much of the non HD looks less then DVD quality.
Really bad is Until the End of the World.

chuckd21 02-12-13 01:06 PM

So, while I fully support them doing this and am glad they have someone somewhere willing to pursue it... I would think they'd make more licensing that library to Netflix.

Heat 02-13-13 12:14 AM

Interesting, but depends on the price and whether they keep adding new content.

tellybox 02-13-13 10:57 AM

This could be a great outlet for all those unreleased shows Warner Bros. has sitting around, namely their abandoned TV-on-DVD properties.

wz42 02-14-13 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by tellybox (Post 11577419)
This could be a great outlet for all those unreleased shows Warner Bros. has sitting around, namely their abandoned TV-on-DVD properties.

I'd rather own them via a MOD release like for Night Court.

darkside 02-16-13 09:16 AM

Got my beta invite and the quality definitely varies. ABC Murders was SD but looked very good. The Hammer Mummy was supposed to by HD, but looked very blurry. I thought The Fearless Vampire Killers looked good in HD. The streaming quality is definitely acceptable to me though and if I can have access to the Warner Archive for the same monthly price as Netflix this is a must buy for me. I dropped cable years ago so this will be like have TCM on demand when ever I want it. The Roku interface is decent, but I would like to see a few more features like we see on Netflix. If you exit a movie it does remember where you left off which is nice.

AdamGott 02-21-13 04:30 PM

I jumped in on my beta invite today and can echo the comments of the other beta testers - quality is all over the place. HD looks like dvd, everything else that I sampled looks not very good (on Roku). I also tried in on my pc and the quality was definitely lacking there as well.

Selection is not that great either. There is lots of stuff that I want to watch but they aren't even close to including their entire catalog.

TheBigDave 02-26-13 03:41 PM

Is it just me, or have they changed the interface on the Roku? I thought there was a way to browse the whole catalog. But right now, all I'm seeing are listings by genre.

Originally Posted by AdamGott (Post 11588453)
Selection is not that great either. There is lots of stuff that I want to watch but they aren't even close to including their entire catalog.

The current selection is pretty bad. Hopefully this is just a small sample for the beta. They'll have to offer more once they start charging.

whotony 02-26-13 06:02 PM

Big Dave, and that's how it's been. Although all the movies are there you just
Have to slide the movies to the the side.

TheBigDave 04-01-13 07:51 PM

Looks like the Warner Archive Instant service is open to the public. Just got an email offering a 2-week free trial. Membership is $9.99/month. I was in the Beta and can still sign-in. On the Roku I can only see about 10 titles. The website lists 123 titles.

The price is too high and the library is too small.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7...nerarchive.jpg

PhantomStranger 04-01-13 10:37 PM

They need a library of several hundred films at a minimum if they think they can charge $9.99 per month.

darkside 04-02-13 08:47 PM

I was expecting access to thousands of movies for $10 a month. 123 titles?!? I enjoyed the beta but I will pass.

Alan Smithee 04-03-13 02:49 AM

Beta? Will it be on VHS later? ;)

DJariya 04-04-13 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 11637164)
They need a library of several hundred films at a minimum if they think they can charge $9.99 per month.

Agree. Chances are more than half those titles no one gives a crap about.

$9.99 a month is insane for such a small library.

TheBigDave 08-07-14 11:49 PM

I noticed that Warner Archive is now offering discounted memberships if you pre-pay for 6/12 months.

1 Month = $9.99/month
6 Months = $8.00/month ($47.99)
12 Months = $7.08/month ($84.99)

http://instant.warnerarchive.com/sub...onoptions.html

$7/month still seems overpriced considering how little is currently available. It looks like there's less than 380 movies and 120 TV shows. I really hoped they'd be more aggressive with building up their streaming library.

dvd-4-life 08-08-14 06:01 AM

WB has the biggest film library of anyone and they have yet too show it with Warner Archive Instant. I still subscribe but it would be the first one I would drop if I decided that there was something better.

Where's Hanna Barbera(a lot hasn't seen the light of day on dvd)?

EddieMoney 08-08-14 09:57 AM

Tried this, but the selection is pathetic.

dvd-4-life 08-08-14 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by EddieMoney (Post 12193631)
Tried this, but the selection is pathetic.

Yep. WB Archive Instant and FullMoon Streaming are on my bubble for being dropped for better programming.

They (Warner Brothers) are sitting on a gold mine and someone lost the key to the vault.

darkside 08-08-14 05:32 PM

With the extra 10% off comiccon code the value for the year pass was a bit better, but the selection still has the same issues as the last time I tried the service. I'm finding enough to watch to be worth it, but I can't image this selection appealing to very many people.

darkside 10-27-14 09:17 PM

October had a surprising number of movies added. 4 or 5 times more than previous months. There may be hope for this service yet. Also some movies I actually wanted to watch and most in HD. The In-laws, Horror of Dracula and a few other Hammer Films in HD, Going in Style, What's Up Doc, The Music Man, Grand Prix, Harper, Dark Passage and the Mask of Fu-Manchu are all movies I watched this month. Still on the obscure side but at least they are starting to pick better films and more of them.