DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   Netflix and Disney announce multi-year deal (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/606996-netflix-disney-announce-multi-year-deal.html)

Ranger 12-04-12 02:26 PM

Netflix and Disney announce multi-year deal

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...ulti-year-deal

Not sure what titles are included. Hopefully there'll be a full list soon.

pelenor 12-04-12 04:21 PM

Re: Netflix and Disney announce multi-year deal

According to this site, http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2012/1...vengers-2.html

it mentions the new Star Wars and Avengers 2 will be out in 2015 and would be available to stream on netflix seven months after they leave the theaters. This from my understanding means that Avenger 2 and Star Wars will be exclusive to Netflix before the other pay channels, Starz, Hbo, etc. I believe with Disney, this is definitely a step in the right direction to cutting the cord if Disney enables all their content from Pixar, marvel and their own catalog is made available. Of course we'll have to wait and see but this is a strong indicator that streaming is definitely on the upswing and these kind of deals bring to question why pay for cable when the majority of content can be had for 8$ a month? Of course not its wait and see but I personally am excited by this.

Larry C. 12-04-12 04:50 PM

Great news!!! :D

OldBoy 12-04-12 05:30 PM

wow.

DJariya 12-04-12 08:29 PM

It's still almost 4 years away. The deal isn't effective until 2016.

IMO, it's inevitable that Netflix will have to raise prices for their streaming content. This deal alone must be costing them an arm and a leg and I can't see $8 a month still being profitable for them.

Losing Disney will hurt Starz alot. They just don't have enough original year round content like HBO and Showtime. Spartacus is ending, Boss was cancelled, Davinci's Demons is just starting early next year.

DaveWadding 12-04-12 10:01 PM

I read on the Netflix blog that some catalog stuff (Nightmare Before Christmas, Pocahontas, Dumbo, Aristocats to name a few) will be going up on Netflix TONIGHT.

http://blog.netflix.com/2012/12/exci...th-disney.html

I’m incredibly pleased and excited to tell you that Netflix will be bringing you exclusively, starting in 2016, theatrically released movies from The Walt Disney Company and its renowned studios, including Disney, Pixar and Marvel. In the meantime, we’ll have an amazing selection of Disney movies including Disney classics, catalog movies, and popular non-theatrical movies for the whole family featuring beloved characters like Tinkerbell, Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh, to name a few.

For us, this is a really big deal – for the first time in our largest market - new Disney movies will be available when and where you want to watch them on Netflix rather than on a premium cable channel. Our popular “Just for Kids” section, which is especially programmed for children under twelve, will now have such beloved Disney theatrical classics as “Dumbo,” “The Aristocats,” and “Pocahontas” and new favorites like “Beverly Hills Chihuahua” and the “Air Bud/Buddies” franchise on top of the incredible range of Disney Channel, ABC Family and Disney XD shows already available to stream on Netflix.

For the older set, later today we'll have Tim Burton’s incredible holiday favorite “The Nightmare Before Christmas” and in the months and years to come, the epic “Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl,” an array of M. Night Shayamalan movies, including the supernatural thriller “The Sixth Sense” and other really great Disney movies including “National Treasure,” “Phenomenon” and “Quiz Show.”

Through this new partnership with Disney, one of the best known global names in family entertainment, Netflix is giving our members even more high quality films to enjoy. That’s on top of such great movies as “The Lorax,” “Paranorman,” and our first new releases from Dreamworks Animation, “The Croods” and “Turbo,” all coming to Netflix.

We’re so proud to be teaming up with Disney and to be offering you even more fantastic entertainment in the months and years to come. Let the fun begin!

Pauline Fischer - Vice President, Content Acquisition

Ranger 12-04-12 11:20 PM

I missed the 2016 part, still seems like they're getting in some decent titles sooner.

And what are cable companies doing to counter Netflix?

I've seen articles that say they are now doing special pricing where it'd be cheaper to have both cable and internet. For example, $50 for basic cable and internet or $70 for internet only.

pelenor 12-05-12 12:23 AM

Titles are already appearing.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/04/n...usi/#continued

Texan26 12-05-12 04:06 PM

Titles added today:

Air Bud Spikes Back
Air Bud: Seventh Inning Fetch
Air Bud: World Pup
Air Buddies
Alice in Wonderland 1951
The Aristocats
The Brave Little Toaster Goes to Mars
The Brave Little Toaster to the Rescue
Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales
The Crimson Wing
Dumbo
The Fox and the Hound
The Great Mouse Detective
James and the Giant Peach
Mickey Mouse Clubhouse: Road Rally
The Muppet Movie
The Nightmare Before Christmas
One Magic Christmas
Pocahontas
Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World
The Rescuers Down Under
The Search for Santa Paws
Tarzan & Jane
The Tigger Movie
Tinker Bell
Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue
Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure

Larry C. 12-05-12 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Texan26 (Post 11495362)
Titles added today:

Air Bud Spikes Back
Air Bud: Seventh Inning Fetch
Air Bud: World Pup
Air Buddies
Alice in Wonderland 1951
The Aristocats
The Brave Little Toaster Goes to Mars
The Brave Little Toaster to the Rescue
Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales
The Crimson Wing
Dumbo
The Fox and the Hound
The Great Mouse Detective
James and the Giant Peach
Mickey Mouse Clubhouse: Road Rally
The Muppet Movie
The Nightmare Before Christmas
One Magic Christmas
Pocahontas
Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World
The Rescuers Down Under
The Search for Santa Paws
Tarzan & Jane
The Tigger Movie
Tinker Bell
Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue
Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure

I saw that last night. Nice.

islandclaws 12-06-12 11:37 AM

Excellent news.

The Brave Little Toaster Goes to Mars?! I need to check that out.

Now, to wait and see when they raise the $8 price...