Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Roku Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-19, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: The Roku Thread

I believe I already login into those other channel panels with my other credentials (Hulu, Amazon, etc.) I know I can access Showtime, CBS, HBO directly from the homepage or through Hulu, Amazon.
Old 01-31-19, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts

Think of it like Roku is a 3rd party vendor selling you access to other premium channels, Starz, Showtime, etc.

Hulu does this. I don't know how Roku will work, but when I got a discounted HBO subscription via Hulu, I could also log directly into the HBO app with my Hulu credentials.

Amazon sells access to premium channels too.

Personally, unless they offer a discount I wouldn't buy from a 3rd party vendor. I would just buy directly from the provider. There is no benefit to me to have my bill in "one place".
One benefit these vendors push is the ability to use their app to search/play content you have a subscription to in one place. Personally for me, I prefer the native app of the provider. Especially when it comes to Hulu since their audio is not 5.1.
Old 01-31-19, 04:08 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Think of it like Roku is a 3rd party vendor selling you access to other premium channels, Starz, Showtime, etc.

Hulu does this. I don't know how Roku will work, but when I got a discounted HBO subscription via Hulu, I could also log directly into the HBO app with my Hulu credentials.

Amazon sells access to premium channels too.

Personally, unless they offer a discount I wouldn't buy from a 3rd party vendor. I would just buy directly from the provider. There is no benefit to me to have my bill in "one place".
One benefit these vendors push is the ability to use their app to search/play content you have a subscription to in one place. Personally for me, I prefer the native app of the provider. Especially when it comes to Hulu since their audio is not 5.1.
I went with PrimeVideo for CBS All Access this time around because I like the interface better.
Old 02-01-19, 08:16 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
The new Locast channel allows viewers to watch local broadcast networks for free on the Roku. But it's only available in these cities:

New York
Chicago
Philadelphia
Boston
Houston
Dallas
Denver

https://www.locast.org/
https://channelstore.roku.com/details/235809/locast.org
Locast is adding Baltimore and Washington DC.
Old 02-01-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Does one have to live in those cities to get access to those feeds?
Old 02-01-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
Does one have to live in those cities to get access to those feeds?
I just tested, yes you have to live near those cities.
Old 02-01-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Locast is adding Baltimore and Washington DC.
AWESOME NEWS!! When is this happening?

Still though, I think this service isn't long for existence, much like XTV before it. How I miss XTV.
Old 02-01-19, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Still though, I think this service isn't long for existence, much like XTV before it. How I miss XTV.
I still keep the channel's icon sitting in my home screen, hoping in vain that one day it will return. I pretty much used it for background noise, playing endless streams of The Office, Family Guy, etc. One of my dream features for Netflix, Hulu, etc. would be a jukebox feature, where you load your favorite shows into a playlist and it just randomly (or chronologically if you want) plays episodes. I would LOVE that and it would serve the same purpose.
Old 02-01-19, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They're up now. When I was testing earlier I noticed the other cities have different networks available. Seems like you should be able to get anything that is available OTA in your area. But baby steps I guess.

The biggest problem I see with this is sports. I can't see the NFL or MLB allowing this.

As someone that OTA geographically challenged I really like this app.

I'm in an area where the cable providers give access to Philadelphia and Baltimore since they are technically receivable OTA. And DirecTV used to give me Baltimore and Washington sports net access. But I can only access Philadelphia on here.
Old 02-02-19, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://channelstore.roku.com/detail...hk-world-japan

Roku just added the NHK World app.

It's a fantastic free app. You basically have hundreds of hours of English language programming from NHK Japan and have access to their live channel.

I'm a big fan of Journeys in Japan. It's an English language show hosted by various bilingual hosts from around the world who live in Japan and take the viewers around different cities. It's a very informative travel series. There are many episodes available on demand.

Here's a promo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gdQirk7XpF8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm Asian and also fascinated with Japanese culture, so I really enjoy this channels content. and it's free too.
Old 02-02-19, 09:40 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Thanks for the heads up! Very cool channel and a good amount of content. English subs and commentary, very nice.

Watching Grand Sumo live! Last time I saw this it was broadcasting in Hong Kong.
Old 02-04-19, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Mobdro(Amazon Fire) is still around.
Old 02-04-19, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Locast has kicked me back to the guide twice already today after about 20-30 minutes of watching. During a broadcast commercial, it will break in with a Locast ad saying it's non-profit and to become a member then back to the guide. And one more time it just got stuck on "loading" while watching a show.

Yesterday I had 3+ hours of pre-Super Bowl coverage on with no interruption.
Old 02-04-19, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

They're up now. When I was testing earlier I noticed the other cities have different networks available. Seems like you should be able to get anything that is available OTA in your area. But baby steps I guess.

The biggest problem I see with this is sports. I can't see the NFL or MLB allowing this.

As someone that OTA geographically challenged I really like this app.

I'm in an area where the cable providers give access to Philadelphia and Baltimore since they are technically receivable OTA. And DirecTV used to give me Baltimore and Washington sports net access. But I can only access Philadelphia on here.
A little disappointed so far in Locast. Aside from the constant subscription begging, I feel like the stream quality is very low. I checked out both on CBS Sports App and Locast and the CBS app was much better. Still I guess not having to deal with an OTA antennae is nice. Still think this thing is not long for this world.
Old 02-04-19, 10:08 PM

Rumors are going around that Apple Airplay 2 could be coming to Roku devices and TVs.

Roku is in talks with Apple about supporting AirPlay 2, with the two companies currently working out details surrounding the partnership, according to a source familiar with the matter. The plans are not finalized and are subject to change.

We're told that AirPlay 2 support is likely to arrive in the form of a Roku OS software update for Roku media players, which can be used with virtually any smart TV. The update would likely extend to smart TVs with Roku OS preinstalled, including select models from Sharp, TCL, Insignia, Hisense, Sanyo, and RCA.

-----------

With AirPlay 2 support, Roku users would be able to stream video, audio, photos, and more directly from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to their smart TVs. HomeKit is also coming to many smart TVs, enabling users to control volume, playback, and more using Siri or the Home app on an iPhone, iPad, or Mac.

FULL ARTICLE - https://www.macrumors.com/2019/02/04...rplay-2-talks/
Old 02-04-19, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Rumors are going around that Apple Airplay 2 could be coming to Roku devices and TVs.
No good to me since I don't have & never own a ipad, iPhone, or Mac.
Old 02-05-19, 07:35 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

The Roku thread seems to be more popular than the Firestick thread, so I'm guessing more of you guys have a Roku. I have two Firesticks on other TVs, but I want to get something new for my main 4K TV. Consensus is Roku is better / offers more apps?
Old 02-05-19, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I've run into fewer issues with my Roku vs. Fire TV personally, but there are still some instances where an app is available for Fire TV and not for the Roku. So it's tough to say.

Roku has a static setup which a lot of people seem to prefer over the Fire Sticks more dynamic interface.
Old 02-05-19, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
The Roku thread seems to be more popular than the Firestick thread, so I'm guessing more of you guys have a Roku. I have two Firesticks on other TVs, but I want to get something new for my main 4K TV. Consensus is Roku is better / offers more apps?
In my experience, Roku is the best streaming device. It's smoother, more responsive and less buggy than the Fire TV.

The only thing it's missing is access to iTunes. But other than that, it's got all the apps you'll want.
Old 02-05-19, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kahuna
No good to me since I don't have & never own a ipad, iPhone, or Mac.
If you have iTunes on a computer you can airplay from there too.
This is probably how I would use it so that it doesn't tie up my device.

It would be better if they just came up with a dedicated app that you didn't have to "cast" to instead. But this is great news. Maybe they are finally loosening up.
Old 02-05-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

If you have iTunes on a computer you can airplay from there too.
This is probably how I would use it so that it doesn't tie up my device.

It would be better if they just came up with a dedicated app that you didn't have to "cast" to instead. But this is great news. Maybe they are finally loosening up.
Thanks for the info. I do have iTunes on my computer.
Old 02-06-19, 09:46 PM

This looks like a pretty cool feature:

Roku Adds a Guest Mode

Ever wish you could let guests access their Netflix subscription on your Roku without logging you out? Roku just added this feature hidden inside the Roku OS 9 update.

In Settings under the option to update your Roku is a new setting called “Auto Sign Out Mode.” According to Roku, “this mode enables guests to sign into subscription services using their own account credentials and will be auto signed out when they leave. Guests will not be able to access your services while in Auto Sign Out Mode.”

-----------

This mode seems perfect for a Roku in a guest room. Allow guests to easily access their content without fear of someone using it after they leave.

FULL ARTICLE - https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/roku-adds-a-guest-mode/
Old 02-07-19, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

^That's cool.

Can I say that the Remotes with the jack for earbuds is truly a simple yet awesome feature
Old 02-12-19, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Is there a good, free Movie Trailer channel on Roku?
Old 02-12-19, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For the most part I use Youtube. And if you log in with the same Google acct, you can start on your computer/device then pick it up in your history on the Roku Youtube App.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.