Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Roku Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-13, 09:47 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The Roku Thread

Yep, manual update worked for me last night. Now if I can just finish the Murdoch Mysteries Marathon from Acorn before it ends I'll be happy.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 05-17-13, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OK so the channels are now in a grid rather than a horizontal line. And there's a big ad on the right. Woopdee doo.

Is this the "big update" we've been waiting for?
Old 05-18-13, 03:22 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
OK so the channels are now in a grid rather than a horizontal line. And there's a big ad on the right. Woopdee doo.

Seems so.
Old 05-19-13, 01:53 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Redbox Instant will be coming to the Roku.

Redbox Instant is coming to Google TV soon, Roku up next

Redbox Instant by Verizon is going to bring its streaming service to Google TV devices soon: The company demonstrated a prototype of its app at Google I/O Friday, and a representative told me that the app will launch in earnest within the next few weeks. After that, the company is going to launch a channel on Roku media streamers.

Redbox Instant by Verizon’s prototype app was on display on an LG Google TV that ran the next version of Google TV that is based on Android 4.2.2, or Jelly Bean. That version will come to Google TV devices in the third quarter of this year, but I was told that the Redbox Instant app will be available before that, and that is going to work just fine with the current version of Google TV. However, the service won’t be available on Google TV devices using an Intel processor, which means that owners of the Logitech Revue and other first-generation devices won’t be able to use it.

Redbox Instant first launched on select Samsung TVs and Blu-ray players as well as PCs and mobile devices in March. The joint-venture between Redbox and Verizon has since added support for Microsoft’s Xbox 360 as well as select LG Smart TVs. I was told by a representative Friday that the company is looking to add support for Roku players soon after rolling out the Google TV app.

http://gigaom.com/2013/05/17/redbox-...google-tv-app/

Last edited by TheBigDave; 05-19-13 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-20-13, 01:59 AM

Ran across this article and thought it was interesting. Public libraries loaning out Roku boxes with Netflix and Hulu+.

The Ephrata Public Library (Ephrata, PA) purchased a few Rokus, and they are so popular with patrons that they are considering buying more. When a patron checks out a Roku, they receive the Roku box, an HDMI cable, a remote control, and a power cord. Staff also provide instructions and created a short video tutorial. The library subscribes to a variety of entertainment including NetFlix and Hulu Plus as well as PBS and other educational channels. The boxes check out for one week.

This idea sparked a great discussion at my library. Like many libraries, DVDs are in high demand with long waiting lists, shelving space is becoming more limited, and the budget does not allow us to purchase many expensive TV series. Offering Roku as a complement to our DVD collection could help alleviate these issues in a small way. While we all agreed Rokus would be popular with our patrons, we were concerned about patrons having the right technology at home and if we would have the budget to buy the Rokus and subscriptions (the boxes cost $50-$100 each and subscriptions each have additional costs).

Ephrata Public Library - Roku Players

FULL ARTICLE - http://publiclibrariesonline.org/2013/05/ready-to-roku/
Old 05-20-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a tip for anyone whose Roku 3 menus have become laggy, which apparently happens after a few weeks of use. This is a known issue and Roku is working on a fix. In the meantime, rebooting the Roku 3 will fix the problem, but the menu for rebooting is hidden. Here's how to find it:

Press the Home button on your remote five times, then FF, Play, RW, Play, FF.

In that menu, choose System Reboot. Your Roku 3 will restart and the menus will behave as they should.
Old 05-20-13, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Don't forget Themes! Something was always missing from the Roku experience, and it turned out to be spacescapes and cartoon clouds. I (seriously) hope there will be more added in the future, though...especially private or user-submitted ones.

Moving around the home/channel selection screen is noticeably faster, which is nice.
Old 05-23-13, 08:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just ordered a Roku 3, should have it by Saturday. I'm excited to try it out.
Old 05-24-13, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Redbox Instant will be coming to the Roku.
I'm interested in seeing their pricing for this. Will it be the same as DVDs / Blu Rays from the machines ? ($1.50 / $1.25) or will they charge normal streaming prices which seem to be in the $4 to $5 range?
Old 05-24-13, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Redbox Instant is $8 a month and includes 3 rentals and what they have available to stream.

Http://www.redboxinstant.com
Old 05-24-13, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What they had available to stream wasn't much compared to Netflix, but worth doing the free trial for the disc rentals.
Old 05-26-13, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep. The only difference I see is that it is harder to navigate since you have to up and down and not just left and right (which is quick when you do page skip), but there is an ad taking up 1/3 of the screen.

The update sucks and I'm now in the market for a new streaming device (western digital maybe?) I am not wanting to replace my Roku this instant, but my eyes are open.
Old 05-27-13, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat
I am not wanting to replace my Roku this instant, but my eyes are open.
How about this instant? Many will be happy to take it off your hands when you're ready.
Old 05-29-13, 12:55 AM
Banned by request

Is anyone else having a problem with the Netflix app on their Roku where, when you finish watching an episode of a show, and it goes back to the menu, Netflix thinks that whatever episode you're on is the last episode of the series? I had this happening all weekend. I'd watch say, episode 7 of a show, and when it would end, it would give me the option to watch only up to episode 7. If I went to the home screen and then back in, then it would give me the option to play episodes 8 and beyond. But when episode 8 finished, same problem, and I'd have to exit and go back in again.
Old 05-29-13, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Is anyone else having a problem with the Netflix app on their Roku where, when you finish watching an episode of a show, and it goes back to the menu, Netflix thinks that whatever episode you're on is the last episode of the series? I had this happening all weekend. I'd watch say, episode 7 of a show, and when it would end, it would give me the option to watch only up to episode 7. If I went to the home screen and then back in, then it would give me the option to play episodes 8 and beyond. But when episode 8 finished, same problem, and I'd have to exit and go back in again.
I haven't experienced that yet, but if you have a Roku 3 I'd try a reboot to see if that fixes the problem. They get a little wonky after a few weeks. I posted instructions above.
Old 05-29-13, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Is anyone else having a problem with the Netflix app on their Roku where, when you finish watching an episode of a show, and it goes back to the menu, Netflix thinks that whatever episode you're on is the last episode of the series?
This happened to me a couple times about a week or two ago. But it cleared up and I haven't experienced it since then.

I notice that when you finish an episode, and it goes back to the menu screen, it doesn't show info for the next episode. For example, I finish watching episode 3, and it goes back to the episode 3 screen. So if I want to watch the next episode, I have to go back to the full list of episodes and select episode 4.

There's a couple threads in the Roku Forum about people having various problems with Netflix.

I really wish Roku would automatically play the next episode like it does on the 360 and PS3.
Old 05-29-13, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I also wish Netflix would update and auto-play the next episode, Hulu has the feature working so there is no reason for Netflix not to. I have been watching all of the new AD season on there and haven't had an issue with the "next episode" thing. Plus the Netflix app, in general, is pretty dated.

Also, Supermallet, what are your thoughts on the device?

Edit: Oh yeah, for anyone having issues with Plex picking up new TV episodes, I've found putting them into properly named folders and hitting refresh fixes almost everything.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-29-13 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-29-13, 01:59 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I haven't experienced that yet, but if you have a Roku 3 I'd try a reboot to see if that fixes the problem. They get a little wonky after a few weeks. I posted instructions above.
Thanks. The device is about five days old, so I hope it isn't going wonky already.

Originally Posted by RichC2
I also wish Netflix would update and auto-play the next episode, Hulu has the feature working so there is no reason for Netflix not to. I have been watching all of the new AD season on there and haven't had an issue with the "next episode" thing. Plus the Netflix app, in general, is pretty dated.

Also, Supermallet, what are your thoughts on the device?

Edit: Oh yeah, for anyone having issues with Plex picking up new TV episodes, I've found putting them into properly named folders and hitting refresh fixes almost everything.
I agree about auto play. Seems like a no brainer.

I'm quite liking the Roku. It's a speedy, versatile little box. The remote is easy to use and I like that I don't need to worry about line of sight. Other than this nagging Netflix issue, it's pretty fantastic.
Old 05-29-13, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I notice that when you finish an episode, and it goes back to the menu screen, it doesn't show info for the next episode. For example, I finish watching episode 3, and it goes back to the episode 3 screen. So if I want to watch the next episode, I have to go back to the full list of episodes and select episode 4.
This is my main beef with the Roku 2 XD, although it sometimes advances to the next episode info if you wait about a minute. I upgraded from the original Roku HD about six months ago, and never once had this issue with the old box; it would advance to the next episode info almost immediately. Everything else behaves noticeably better and faster, though...especially Hulu Plus.
Old 05-29-13, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

My roku2 Xd doesn't go right to the next ep but my iPad app does that.

I'm not a big fan of the new roku menu Nav.
Old 05-30-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
I'm not a big fan of the new roku menu Nav.
My only gripe after using it for about a week is that it highlights the main menu by default, rather than the channel selection menu. Yes, it's only a single right button press to get to the channel selection menu, but it really makes no sense to default to the main menu. I can't imagine most people prioritize the Channel Store and Settings over the channels themselves.
Old 05-30-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah I wouldn't know on that one, I've been using my tablet as a remote since I received my Roku 3. Much easier.
Old 05-31-13, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by printerati
Everything else behaves noticeably better and faster, though...especially Hulu Plus.
Speaking of which, I just saw the Roku blog post about the updated Hulu Plus channel for Rev. 2 and 3 devices, which should automatically update within the next 48 hours, or can be done manually. The screenshot makes it look pretty nice, but I won't have a chance to actually play around with it until tomorrow.
Old 05-31-13, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess the new Hulu app uses some of the newer dev tools, it's now identical to the PS3 app (but it works better)

Netflix needs to do the same.
Old 05-31-13, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

What's sdk and what does it do!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.