Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Roku Thread

Old 03-06-13, 12:13 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: The Roku Thread

TWC TV app turns Roku into a cable box for Time Warner customers

Roku streaming boxes can now be used as cable boxes for Time Warner Cable subscribers. The feature upgrade comes courtesy of the free TWC TV app, which went live in the Roku Channel Store earlier today. The app was first announced at CES in January.

Once installed, the app provides access to hundreds of live channels, including most major broadcast and cable networks. The only requirement is a valid Time Warner Cable username and password; that security feature verifies that you're a current paying customer, and that you're accessing the stream from within your own home via your Time Warner cable modem. (So no, don't try sharing your password with friends and family.)

Spoiler:
I tested the app earlier this evening and was largely impressed. Within 30 seconds of entering my user info, I was flipping between ESPN, CBS, and Fox Movie Channel. As with all the streaming on Roku, it takes half a minute or so for the quality to adjust to your connection speed, but once it did video quality was largely on par with the best you'd see on Netflix or other streaming services (all of the channels were in HD).

While a college basketball game on ESPN looked a tad under 30 frames a second, NCIS looked largely indistinguishable from its cable equivalent. The same was true of "Zodiac" on Fox; even with David Fincher's pitch black cinematography, the image looked well defined, with great shadow detail. (To be clear: I'm comparing to my normal cable expectations, not a top-notch Blu-ray.) Overall, I watched for several hours with no apparent skipping, buffering, or lip sync issues. I doubt most viewers would know they weren't watching a "real" cable box.

Still, there were some disappointments when comparing the Roku version to the TWC TV app on iOS. There's no traditional program guide; instead, the app shows thumbnails of the channel logos or the shows and movies that are currently live. (Ironically, these are often images of the DVD boxes.) It works, but it's not particularly elegant. There also seems to be no closed captioning option on Roku. And -- the biggest disappointment -- there are no on-demand options on the Roku app, as there are on iOS. And don't look for any rewind or pause here; this is strictly live TV.

Still, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks -- the "cable box as app" model is definitely a step in the right direction. Since extra cable boxes cost a few bucks a month per box, a $50 Roku LT could pay for itself in about a year. While lower cable bills may sound like a bad deal for Time Warner, consider that this sort of DIY setup could, in theory, cut down on expensive in-house service calls (new box installations) and visits to the customer service office -- especially in a future where such apps where more universally available on all smart TV products.

Meanwhile, unlike a regular cable box, the Roku box can be used to access on-demand content on Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, and the hundreds of other Roku channels when there's nothing on. Also, I was able to watch the Roku TWC app and the iPhone TWC app simultaneously, so there does not appear to be an "only one viewer per account" restriction. And the TWC channel selection is far more robust than the stripped-down lineup found on Xfinity (Comcast) and Fios TV apps currently available on Xbox and some other smart TV platforms.

The TWC TV app is compatible with all current-generation Roku boxes -- Roku LT, Roku HD, Roku XD, Roku 2 XS, Roku Streaming Stick, and the just-announced Roku 3. And, of course, it only works for Time Warner Cable customers.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...mers-hands-on/
Spoilered review due to size.
Old 03-06-13, 12:21 AM

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://i.d.com.com/av/video/embed/player.swf" /><param name="background" value="#333333" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="true" /><param name="FlashVars" value="playerType=embedded&type=id&value=50142239" /><embed src="http://www.cnet.com/av/video/embed/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" background="#333333" width="640" height="390" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="playerType=embedded&type=id&value=50142239" /></object>

http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-6739_7-35627695.html
Old 03-06-13, 08:33 AM

Roku 3 is now available at Amazon ($99.99)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BGGDVOO/
Old 03-06-13, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Roku 3 is now available at Amazon ($99.99)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BGGDVOO/
Figures. Just bought a Roku 2 a couple of months ago...
Old 03-06-13, 03:36 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Me too, but mine was a "refurb" for 1/2 price so I can't complain since it's been working like a champ and the only thing I noticed as indicating it was somehow not brand new was some old expired Duracell AA batteries in the box. Looking forward to the new software/firmware update.

Rick
Old 03-06-13, 11:37 PM

How to add YouTube to your Roku box

It's borderline crazy that a box that can stream every video service you've ever heard of—and plenty you haven't—doesn't support YouTube. That's a pity, because it means you can't watch "Gangnam Style," basketball's best buzzer-beaters, or the latest Harlem Shake videos on your TV.

Actually, you can, simply by installing the VideoBuzz channel—one of the very few functional YouTube players for Roku boxes.

Just click through to the channel page, then look for the Channel Add link near the top. Click VideoBuzz, then Yes, Add Channel. (You'll need to be signed into your Roku account on the Web if you're not already.)

Now head to your Roku box, where you should find the newly added VideoBuzz. With it you can search the YouTube library or browse sections like Top Channels, Top Rated, Most Discussed, and the like.

In my quick tests with an older Roku box, VideoBuzz worked like a champ. Until Google sees fit to grant Roku an official YouTube channel, VideoBuzz is the next best thing.

FULL ARTICLE - http://www.pcworld.com/article/20301...-roku-box.html
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g7Sk377mKmA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Add Channel to Roku - VideoBuzz
Old 03-07-13, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
cool, thanks. Have heard about Plex but forgot about it. Will have to try that.
Plex is the also the best way to stream movies and music from a PC. It actually builds a Netflix like interface with movie info and cover pictures for movies on your PC as well as album covers for your music. Beats the USB drive by a mile since it plays any format and has a far better interface
Old 03-07-13, 08:34 PM

Just got the Roku 3 from Amazon. I can try to answer questions if anyone has some.

Love the new menu. Much easier to browse. But it's still one big list. I wish you could group channels like Favorites, Movies, Internet TV, etc.

This thing is blazing fast when using the Roku remote. But when using the Harmony remote, it moves at the same speed as the older boxes. And the Harmony is less responsive. Sometimes I have to push the button twice. The difference when using the Roku remote and the Harmony is very noticeable.
Old 03-08-13, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the Roku 3 from Amazon. I can try to answer questions if anyone has some.

Love the new menu. Much easier to browse. But it's still one big list. I wish you could group channels like Favorites, Movies, Internet TV, etc.

This thing is blazing fast when using the Roku remote. But when using the Harmony remote, it moves at the same speed as the older boxes. And the Harmony is less responsive. Sometimes I have to push the button twice. The difference when using the Roku remote and the Harmony is very noticeable.
Have you tried adjusting your delays and stuff on the Harmony? It isn't strange for different devices to have different response times. I doubt it is the Harmony's "fault". Sounds like the 3 is capable of quicker inputs than the 2. Try tinkering with it...hopefully it will help!
Old 03-08-13, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jediturtle
Have you tried adjusting your delays and stuff on the Harmony? It isn't strange for different devices to have different response times. I doubt it is the Harmony's "fault". Sounds like the 3 is capable of quicker inputs than the 2. Try tinkering with it...hopefully it will help!
I tried tweaking the delays and repeats on the Harmony, and that helped a little. The Harmony remote works, it's just less responsive than the Roku 3 remote. I think I'm either getting IR interference or the Roku 3 doesn't process the IR signal as quickly.
Old 03-08-13, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Same here. The new interface is coming to the Roku 2 (and some of the other earlier players) later this year, so I'm not sure there's much about the new version that we won't eventually have...I couldn't care less about headphones.
Old 03-08-13, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The new interface is coming to the Roku 2 (and some of the other earlier players) later this year, so I'm not sure there's much about the new version that we won't eventually have...I couldn't care less about headphones.
It's not much of an upgrade from the Roku 2. The headphone feature might be appealing to some people, but I'll probably never use it. The only other feature is that the Roku 3 is noticeably faster than the previous models. I'm flying through the menus, channels come up almost instantly, and videos start sooner. Not sure that's worth $100, but it's nice.

Also, the Roku 3 supports Wi-Fi Direct which is needed for the upcoming Miracast features. It's an open Wi-Fi streaming standard similar to Apple's Airplay. I don't know what they're planning, but it sounds like an interesting feature. And that might make the upgrade worthwhile.

Here's more info on Miracast:

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...ut-the-router/
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...#ixzz2AnD9bG7X
http://gizmodo.com/5944578/what-is-miracast
Miracast Demo from CES 2013 - http://youtu.be/cYagdOp9y7E

Last edited by TheBigDave; 03-08-13 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-08-13, 11:47 PM

Here's a couple Roku 3 reviews:

Engadget - "Our favorite media streamer"
Laptop Magazine - 4/5 Stars (Editors' Choice)
The Verge - 8.9/10 "The best, most versatile, and most usable set-top box on the market"
PopSci - "The Roku 3 is the best media streamer"
Gizmodo - "The New Best Streaming Box"

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f7QXGwwAv54" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rgw72BSU1zM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by TheBigDave; 04-04-13 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Added some more reviews
Old 03-18-13, 12:01 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Glad to hear the new interface will roll-out to the Roku 2 next month. I don't plan on upgrading though will likely be envious of the improved performance.
Old 03-18-13, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, I was just about to bite on a Roku 2 XS when I saw the price dropped to $79 on Amazon and now I see there is a Roku 3 for $99... I am seriously torn now.
Old 03-18-13, 08:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Don't be torn. Get the Roku3. You won't regret it.
Old 03-18-13, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Don't be torn. Get the Roku3. You won't regret it.
Any reasons why to convince a very cheap bastard?
Old 03-19-13, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Any reasons why to convince a very cheap bastard?
The main reason I would recommend the Roku 3 is the upgraded hardware. Earlier models won't be compatible with WiFi Direct features like Miracast. And there's some discussion that the faster processor will be required for new features that slower boxes won't be able to handle. But I haven't heard any concrete examples.

Roku 3 also has Dual Band WiFi and that remote headset thing. Personally, these features are worthless to me. But some people really like them.

For $20, I'd pick the machine with the latest hardware. Right now, you won't notice much difference between the two models. But if they get these upcoming features implemented, you might regret having an outdated box.
Old 03-19-13, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The main reason I would recommend the Roku 3 is the upgraded hardware. Earlier models won't be compatible with WiFi Direct features like Miracast. And there's some discussion that the faster processor will be required for new features that slower boxes won't be able to handle. But I haven't heard any concrete examples.

Roku 3 also has Dual Band WiFi and that remote headset thing. Personally, these features are worthless to me. But some people really like them.

For $20, I'd pick the machine with the latest hardware. Right now, you won't notice much difference between the two models. But if they get these upcoming features implemented, you might regret having an outdated box.
Yeah, I guess you are right. Damn it, will technology just stand still for a minute?
Old 03-19-13, 11:15 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

TheBigDave said it all.
For a mere $20, you're getting the better hardware that will be supported much longer. I love my Roku 2, but the occasional lagginess gets to me.
Old 03-19-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
TheBigDave said it all.
For a mere $20, you're getting the better hardware that will be supported much longer. I love my Roku 2, but the occasional lagginess gets to me.
But cheap has served me so well in the past. I have some piece of crap I bought at Wal-mart for $37 that I need to turn on and off at least three times when I want to watch Netflix. It only takes 2 oe 3 minutes per reboot so it is wonderful because it gives me time to read.
Old 03-21-13, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Another vote of "buy it" for the Roku 3. I upgraded my XS a couple weeks ago and I'm loving the faster processor and new menu. Plus, everything streams much faster. Definitely worth it, you cheap bastard.
Old 03-29-13, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the e-mail that my Roku 2 will be getting a new UI.

Anybody know when the PBS channel will be going live?
Old 03-29-13, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Got the e-mail that my Roku 2 will be getting a new UI.

Anybody know when the PBS channel will be going live?
I got that new UI email on both my 2XS and LT accounts.

PBS was in the Roku Lounge at SXSW 2013 to hype the upcoming Roku app. Here's a video interview. The PBS rep says they're targeting a late-April/early-May launch.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QYUAd9YFm2U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-29-13, 12:59 PM

Here's another way to get Youtube videos on your Roku. Twonky is an Airplay-style app that streams from your Android/iOS device to your Roku. Cnet made a great video tutorial on how to set it up.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VtlQiKlJd30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...ideos-on-roku/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.