Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Roku Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-13, 05:48 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts
Re: The Roku Thread

I'm not aware of any limitations with previous Roku models. Make sure the channel is downloaded on your Roku. Go to the Channel Store > Photos & Videos > DS Video. If it's already downloaded you should see a "Go To Channel" link.

You can force channels to update by going to Settings > System Update > Check Now. If that doesn't work, maybe do a hard reboot by unplugging the box for a couple seconds.
Old 08-23-13, 10:19 PM

If you want to get VideoBuzz (YouTube) back on your Roku, here's detailed instructions on how to side load it.

How to add YouTube to your Roku box, the sequel

I'm not gonna do it. But it looks simple. There's an installer with step-by-step instructions that does everything for you. If you try it out, let us know how it works.
Old 08-24-13, 03:27 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It seemed to work for me. Not sure what can happen with device in "Developer Mode" (if anything) however.
Old 08-27-13, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can I go to find out when new channels will get added to Roku? I just ordered my device and can't wait for it.
Old 08-27-13, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by SwtchbldSamurai
Where can I go to find out when new channels will get added to Roku? I just ordered my device and can't wait for it.
On the Roku Menu, go to Channel Store > New. Or go to the Channel Store on the Roku website. The new channels are usually added overnight (around 3am).

http://www.roku.com/channels/#!browse/new
Old 08-29-13, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Getting my first Roku tomorrow. Any channels I should check out. Aside from Prime/HBOGo/Netflix/Hulu/Plex, is there anything really good?
Old 08-30-13, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
Getting my first Roku tomorrow. Any channels I should check out. Aside from Prime/HBOGo/Netflix/Hulu/Plex, is there anything really good?
The channels that get 99% of my usage are Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, Crunchyroll, FUNimation, Plex, PBS, Sky News, FOX Now and AcornTV. The other stuff I check out from time to time. But it's usually just browsing when I'm bored.

Here's a list of stuff I've got on my Roku right now:

Movies/TV (Paid/Subscription)
Netflix
Amazon
Vudu - for all those Ultraviolet digital copies
Acorn TV - British TV shows

Movies/TV (Free)
PBS
FOX Now
Sky News - Live news
MLB.TV - Free Game of the Day
Crackle
Popcornflix
Pop Flix
OV Guide
SideTick TV
Pub-D-Hub - Public domain
Nowhere Archive - Public domain

Anime/Asian
Crunchyroll
FUNimation
Kdrama
DramaFever
Manga
Asian Crush

Horror/Cult/Sci-Fi
Zom-Bee TV
FrightPix
Midnight Pulp
CrypticTV
Threshold+

Music
Amazon Cloud Player
Vevo
Mullet - Classic concerts
AccuRadio

Internet Videos & other stuff
IGN - Video games
Cnet - Tech products/reviews
TWiT.tv - Tech shows
Revision3 - Tech shows
iTunes Podcasts
Viddler

Local Streaming Apps
Plex
Twonky
PlayOn

Here's a couple paid channels I don't use. But if I had a subscription, I'd watch them:
HBOGo
Hulu Plus
WB Archive Instant
Redbox Instant
Epix

I also highly recommend the Instant Watch Browser For Netflix. It costs $3-$4. But if you have a Netflix subscription, you really need this. It'll help you find movies and see what's coming/expiring.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 08-30-13 at 03:24 AM.
Old 08-30-13, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Crackle has a new original movie (?) coming next week. Anybody heard word, positive or otherwise about it? Sean Astin is in it with Danny Glover....
Old 08-30-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
The channels that get 99% of my usage are Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, Crunchyroll, FUNimation, Plex, PBS, Sky News, FOX Now and AcornTV. The other stuff I check out from time to time. But it's usually just browsing when I'm bored.

Here's a list of stuff I've got on my Roku right now:

Movies/TV (Paid/Subscription)
Netflix
Amazon
Vudu - for all those Ultraviolet digital copies
Acorn TV - British TV shows

Movies/TV (Free)
PBS
FOX Now
Sky News - Live news
MLB.TV - Free Game of the Day
Crackle
Popcornflix
Pop Flix
OV Guide
SideTick TV
Pub-D-Hub - Public domain
Nowhere Archive - Public domain

Anime/Asian
Crunchyroll
FUNimation
Kdrama
DramaFever
Manga
Asian Crush

Horror/Cult/Sci-Fi
Zom-Bee TV
FrightPix
Midnight Pulp
CrypticTV
Threshold+

Music
Amazon Cloud Player
Vevo
Mullet - Classic concerts
AccuRadio

Internet Videos & other stuff
IGN - Video games
Cnet - Tech products/reviews
TWiT.tv - Tech shows
Revision3 - Tech shows
iTunes Podcasts
Viddler

Local Streaming Apps
Plex
Twonky
PlayOn

Here's a couple paid channels I don't use. But if I had a subscription, I'd watch them:
HBOGo
Hulu Plus
WB Archive Instant
Redbox Instant
Epix

I also highly recommend the Instant Watch Browser For Netflix. It costs $3-$4. But if you have a Netflix subscription, you really need this. It'll help you find movies and see what's coming/expiring.
Thanks for the thorough list. I really appreciate it. Now if only UPS would deliver...
Old 09-04-13, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loving the Roku so far. Netflix and Amazon Prime are perfect. Now if I could just get a lower load time for Plex. I was getting a bunch of buffering, but I found an old version of the channel and it seems to be better.

Anyone use Twonky to stream media from a computer to the Roku?
Old 09-04-13, 05:42 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Roku 3 is currently $89 shipped at amazon
Old 09-04-13, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Roku 3 is currently $89 shipped at amazon
down to $86.68
Old 09-04-13, 08:37 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Roku.com is offering $10 off the Roku 3 this week only (received an email this morning). They're probably just price matching each other. If so, Amazon's price will probably return to normal next week.

Either way, a pretty decent deal. I keep telling myself I'll hold out for the inevitable Roku 4 (currently have the 2 XD).
Old 09-10-13, 10:58 PM

Roku app gets updated to stream video from your Android device to your TV

Set-top boxes have become almost as commonplace as TV sets in the living room, but even with their growing popularity, not every device supports streaming local content. Roku is doing its part to change that, though, by updating its Android application to allow streaming video directly over Wi-Fi.

Roku has added a “Play on Roku” tab that pulls up the videos available on your mobile device to stream over to your TV. The only caveat: The videos will have to be encoded in a file format that your Android device can play back. (If you’re curious, you can check out Google’s official list of supported video formats.) It’s an especially exciting update considering that fact that the Roku box doesn’t support DLNA playback. iPhone users received this AirPlay-like functionality about a month ago.

The over-the-air streaming feature is only available to a limited number of devices, including the Samsung Galaxy S III and Galaxy S4, Nexus 4, HTC One, and last year’s Nexus 7. You’ll need Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich or higher to use the app, and it’s compatible with the Roku 3, Roku 2, Roku LT, Roku HD, and Roku Streaming Stick.

http://www.techhive.com/article/2048...o-your-tv.html
Old 09-20-13, 08:13 AM

I have a question before I purchase a Roku 2 XD. A moderator at the Roku forum posted some information here about providing the Roku company with your credit card information. I am unclear about an aspect of this statement:

"Just be advised that if you later decide to add a pay-channel, you will have to provide some sort of payment information."

I would prefer to never provide Roku with my credit card information. The only channels that my family likely will ever use the Roku for are the (large) streaming companies that handle their own customer billing such as Netflix and amazon. For these types of channels, will I be able to add them to the Roku without giving any credit card information to Roku ? Among these types of channels, I am currently subscribing to Netflix and am viewing it on my tv with a Nintendo Wii. This Roku would be for a tv in another part of the house.
Old 09-20-13, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

You can add the free channels without a credit card. Free channels are channels like Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant, etc;

The Pay channels they're talking about are like BabyFirstTV, Movie Vault, etc; where you have to pay Roku for the app. It's crap you don't need. I purchased You Don't Know Jack for the Roku and that has been my only "Channel" purchase.

So you'll be fine. Frankly none of the Roku channels you have to pay for are worth the money.
Old 09-20-13, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Matt_
I would prefer to never provide Roku with my credit card information. The only channels that my family likely will ever use the Roku for are the (large) streaming companies that handle their own customer billing such as Netflix and amazon. For these types of channels, will I be able to add them to the Roku without giving any credit card information to Roku ? Among these types of channels, I am currently subscribing to Netflix and am viewing it on my tv with a Nintendo Wii. This Roku would be for a tv in another part of the house.
You won't have any problem with major channels like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu, etc. The credit card is only needed for stuff like screensavers, games, premium apps, and smaller paid channels that use Roku billing.
Old 09-20-13, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

I have a Samsung S4 and downloaded the app and it would not pull up any video even though my regular device's video player plays them. I didn't tinker with it.
Old 09-21-13, 12:54 AM

RichC2 and TheBigDave: Thank you both. Honestly, this was the first clear explanation I read. Unless there is an advantage (other than price) to buying it online like from amazon, I thought I would buy the Roku 2 XD at a Target store with my Target Visa.

A customer picture at the Roku 2 XD listing on amazon shows an updated remote control with buttons labeled 'Netflix', 'Pandora', and 'Crackle'. Is it likely that all retailers have the Roku 2 with this updated remote control ?

Last edited by Matt_; 09-21-13 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-21-13, 12:59 AM

How does a Roku 2 owner know when (s)he's crossed a threshold where the Roku will function better with a memory card ?

What makes ask is that while browsing the complaints for the Roku 2 XS with the pre-installed game Angry Birds, a few people said they were advised that the game should be deleted because it was using too much memory and was the cause of the XS rebooting. So I thought that when/if the XD starts acting oddly like rebooting or running slower that that is when I should insert a memory card.

I realize the XD does not have Angry Birds, but I thought maybe the entire line of Roku 2 might have the same shortcoming of a too-limited amount of memory.

Last edited by Matt_; 09-21-13 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-21-13, 01:13 AM

Unless there is an advantage (other than price) to buying it online like from amazon, I thought I would buy the Roku 2 XD at a Target store with my Target Visa.
Acorn has a good deal. You get a Roku 2XD and 1-Year Premium Membership to AcornTV for $79.99. The annual membership is $50 on it's own.

http://acornonline.com/Product.aspx?p=16702

Or you could buy the Roku 2XD at Amazon for $58.

http://acornonline.com/Product.aspx?p=16702

But if you can run a wire, I'd suggest you get a model with an ethernet port. That'll save you any headaches you might get from wifi problems. You should be able to find the 2XS for around $75 and the Roku 3 for around $95.
Old 09-21-13, 01:27 AM

A customer picture at the Roku 2 XD listing on amazon shows an updated remote control with buttons labeled 'Netflix', 'Pandora', and 'Crackle'. Is it likely that all retailers have the Roku 2 with this updated remote control ?
I've seen pics of those remotes with extra buttons, but none of my Roku remotes have them. I've bought all my Rokus (LT, 2XS, 3) at Amazon. So maybe those are limited to brick & mortal models?

How does a Roku 2 owner know when (s)he's crossed a threshold where the Roku will function better with a memory card ?
I don't think there's any way to tell. I doubt you'll run into that problem unless you're loading numerous games or 100+ channels. I rarely hear people complain about it. If it ever becomes an issue, you can get a 4GB-8GB MicroSD card for around $6 at Amazon.
Old 09-23-13, 07:48 AM

Thank you, TheBigDave, for your advice and the time you are taking to help me.

I have a follow-up question. You stated that you bought all your Rokus at amazon. If the Roku bundled with a remote with those special shortcut buttons (Netflix, Pandora, Crackle) is still available at b&m stores, do you think the boxes have anything different in the specs or graphics printed on the outside of the box that distinguish them from the Rokus with the standard remote ?

It's no big deal if these special remotes are no longer available; I thought it would be a fun bonus for the family member who'll primarily be using this if I can locate one.
Old 09-23-13, 08:26 AM

I have a follow-up question. You stated that you bought all your Rokus at amazon. If the Roku bundled with a remote with those special shortcut buttons (Netflix, Pandora, Crackle) is still available at b&m stores, do you think the boxes have anything different in the specs or graphics printed on the outside of the box that distinguish them from the Rokus with the standard remote ?
I don't know. You should ask in the Roku Forum. Those guys will be able to answer your question.

http://forums.roku.com/viewforum.php?f=28
Old 09-25-13, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Do any of you have any pay channels?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.