DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   The Roku Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/606072-roku-thread.html)

TheBigDave 03-06-13 11:37 PM

Re: The Roku Thread

How to add YouTube to your Roku box

It's borderline crazy that a box that can stream every video service you've ever heard of—and plenty you haven't—doesn't support YouTube. That's a pity, because it means you can't watch "Gangnam Style," basketball's best buzzer-beaters, or the latest Harlem Shake videos on your TV.

Actually, you can, simply by installing the VideoBuzz channel—one of the very few functional YouTube players for Roku boxes.

Just click through to the channel page, then look for the Channel Add link near the top. Click VideoBuzz, then Yes, Add Channel. (You'll need to be signed into your Roku account on the Web if you're not already.)

Now head to your Roku box, where you should find the newly added VideoBuzz. With it you can search the YouTube library or browse sections like Top Channels, Top Rated, Most Discussed, and the like.

In my quick tests with an older Roku box, VideoBuzz worked like a champ. Until Google sees fit to grant Roku an official YouTube channel, VideoBuzz is the next best thing.

FULL ARTICLE - http://www.pcworld.com/article/20301...-roku-box.html
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g7Sk377mKmA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Add Channel to Roku - VideoBuzz

cungar 03-07-13 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan (Post 11568491)
cool, thanks. Have heard about Plex but forgot about it. Will have to try that.

Plex is the also the best way to stream movies and music from a PC. It actually builds a Netflix like interface with movie info and cover pictures for movies on your PC as well as album covers for your music. Beats the USB drive by a mile since it plays any format and has a far better interface

TheBigDave 03-07-13 08:34 PM

Just got the Roku 3 from Amazon. I can try to answer questions if anyone has some.

Love the new menu. Much easier to browse. But it's still one big list. I wish you could group channels like Favorites, Movies, Internet TV, etc.

This thing is blazing fast when using the Roku remote. But when using the Harmony remote, it moves at the same speed as the older boxes. And the Harmony is less responsive. Sometimes I have to push the button twice. The difference when using the Roku remote and the Harmony is very noticeable.

Jediturtle 03-08-13 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 11606222)
Just got the Roku 3 from Amazon. I can try to answer questions if anyone has some.

Love the new menu. Much easier to browse. But it's still one big list. I wish you could group channels like Favorites, Movies, Internet TV, etc.

This thing is blazing fast when using the Roku remote. But when using the Harmony remote, it moves at the same speed as the older boxes. And the Harmony is less responsive. Sometimes I have to push the button twice. The difference when using the Roku remote and the Harmony is very noticeable.

Have you tried adjusting your delays and stuff on the Harmony? It isn't strange for different devices to have different response times. I doubt it is the Harmony's "fault". Sounds like the 3 is capable of quicker inputs than the 2. Try tinkering with it...hopefully it will help!

TheBigDave 03-08-13 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jediturtle (Post 11606519)
Have you tried adjusting your delays and stuff on the Harmony? It isn't strange for different devices to have different response times. I doubt it is the Harmony's "fault". Sounds like the 3 is capable of quicker inputs than the 2. Try tinkering with it...hopefully it will help!

I tried tweaking the delays and repeats on the Harmony, and that helped a little. The Harmony remote works, it's just less responsive than the Roku 3 remote. I think I'm either getting IR interference or the Roku 3 doesn't process the IR signal as quickly.

Shannon Nutt 03-08-13 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey (Post 11603594)
Figures. Just bought a Roku 2 a couple of months ago...

Same here. The new interface is coming to the Roku 2 (and some of the other earlier players) later this year, so I'm not sure there's much about the new version that we won't eventually have...I couldn't care less about headphones.

TheBigDave 03-08-13 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 11607183)
The new interface is coming to the Roku 2 (and some of the other earlier players) later this year, so I'm not sure there's much about the new version that we won't eventually have...I couldn't care less about headphones.

It's not much of an upgrade from the Roku 2. The headphone feature might be appealing to some people, but I'll probably never use it. The only other feature is that the Roku 3 is noticeably faster than the previous models. I'm flying through the menus, channels come up almost instantly, and videos start sooner. Not sure that's worth $100, but it's nice.

Also, the Roku 3 supports Wi-Fi Direct which is needed for the upcoming Miracast features. It's an open Wi-Fi streaming standard similar to Apple's Airplay. I don't know what they're planning, but it sounds like an interesting feature. And that might make the upgrade worthwhile.

Here's more info on Miracast:

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...ut-the-router/
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...#ixzz2AnD9bG7X
http://gizmodo.com/5944578/what-is-miracast
Miracast Demo from CES 2013 - http://youtu.be/cYagdOp9y7E

TheBigDave 03-08-13 11:47 PM

Here's a couple Roku 3 reviews:

Engadget - "Our favorite media streamer"
Laptop Magazine - 4/5 Stars (Editors' Choice)
The Verge - 8.9/10 "The best, most versatile, and most usable set-top box on the market"
PopSci - "The Roku 3 is the best media streamer"
Gizmodo - "The New Best Streaming Box"

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f7QXGwwAv54" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rgw72BSU1zM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Geofferson 03-18-13 12:01 PM

Glad to hear the new interface will roll-out to the Roku 2 next month. I don't plan on upgrading though will likely be envious of the improved performance.

DeputyDave 03-18-13 07:45 PM

Damn, I was just about to bite on a Roku 2 XS when I saw the price dropped to $79 on Amazon and now I see there is a Roku 3 for $99... I am seriously torn now.

Dan 03-18-13 08:33 PM

Don't be torn. Get the Roku3. You won't regret it.

DeputyDave 03-18-13 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore (Post 11619686)
Don't be torn. Get the Roku3. You won't regret it.

Any reasons why to convince a very cheap bastard?

TheBigDave 03-19-13 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave (Post 11619727)
Any reasons why to convince a very cheap bastard?

The main reason I would recommend the Roku 3 is the upgraded hardware. Earlier models won't be compatible with WiFi Direct features like Miracast. And there's some discussion that the faster processor will be required for new features that slower boxes won't be able to handle. But I haven't heard any concrete examples.

Roku 3 also has Dual Band WiFi and that remote headset thing. Personally, these features are worthless to me. But some people really like them.

For $20, I'd pick the machine with the latest hardware. Right now, you won't notice much difference between the two models. But if they get these upcoming features implemented, you might regret having an outdated box.

DeputyDave 03-19-13 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 11619956)
The main reason I would recommend the Roku 3 is the upgraded hardware. Earlier models won't be compatible with WiFi Direct features like Miracast. And there's some discussion that the faster processor will be required for new features that slower boxes won't be able to handle. But I haven't heard any concrete examples.

Roku 3 also has Dual Band WiFi and that remote headset thing. Personally, these features are worthless to me. But some people really like them.

For $20, I'd pick the machine with the latest hardware. Right now, you won't notice much difference between the two models. But if they get these upcoming features implemented, you might regret having an outdated box.

Yeah, I guess you are right. Damn it, will technology just stand still for a minute?

Dan 03-19-13 11:15 AM

TheBigDave said it all. :)
For a mere $20, you're getting the better hardware that will be supported much longer. I love my Roku 2, but the occasional lagginess gets to me.

DeputyDave 03-19-13 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore (Post 11620291)
TheBigDave said it all. :)
For a mere $20, you're getting the better hardware that will be supported much longer. I love my Roku 2, but the occasional lagginess gets to me.

But cheap has served me so well in the past. I have some piece of crap I bought at Wal-mart for $37 that I need to turn on and off at least three times when I want to watch Netflix. It only takes 2 oe 3 minutes per reboot so it is wonderful because it gives me time to read.

islandclaws 03-21-13 09:34 PM

Another vote of "buy it" for the Roku 3. I upgraded my XS a couple weeks ago and I'm loving the faster processor and new menu. Plus, everything streams much faster. Definitely worth it, you cheap bastard.

ChiTownAbs, Inc 03-29-13 07:38 AM

Got the e-mail that my Roku 2 will be getting a new UI.

Anybody know when the PBS channel will be going live?

TheBigDave 03-29-13 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc (Post 11633087)

I got that new UI email on both my 2XS and LT accounts.

PBS was in the Roku Lounge at SXSW 2013 to hype the upcoming Roku app. Here's a video interview. The PBS rep says they're targeting a late-April/early-May launch.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QYUAd9YFm2U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheBigDave 03-29-13 12:59 PM

Here's another way to get Youtube videos on your Roku. Twonky is an Airplay-style app that streams from your Android/iOS device to your Roku. Cnet made a great video tutorial on how to set it up.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VtlQiKlJd30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...ideos-on-roku/

rduncan 04-01-13 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc (Post 11633087)

I'm still waiting for my email on the UI. I even thought if I went to the menu item and attempted to update it would do so.....no such luck.

I'm also waiting for the PBS channel..............

Thanks,

Rick

Dan 04-02-13 11:04 AM

So, I went into my Roku 2's settings last night and checked for a system update. Surprisingly, one came up called "New Roku Experience" or something like that. I got giddy, thinking, "It's here!!" only to find out that it's just a single-screen ad for the new UI, saying that it's "coming soon."

:gah:

cungar 04-09-13 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore (Post 11637554)
So, I went into my Roku 2's settings last night and checked for a system update. Surprisingly, one came up called "New Roku Experience" or something like that. I got giddy, thinking, "It's here!!" only to find out that it's just a single-screen ad for the new UI, saying that it's "coming soon."

:gah:

Yeah that pissed me off too.

RichC2 04-09-13 12:48 PM

Bought a Roku 3 since I had some gift cards for Amazon and nothing to waste them on.

Great little device, I wish the SDK was a little more indepth though - stuff like Netflix would really benefit from having the next episode play like it does on the Playstation 3 App (still the best version of Netflix out there, including the PC). Since you can develop games for the system, maybe more advanced apps are on the way. I played through a little Angry Birds Space (runs alright, very responsive with the remote) and You Don't Know Jack (which froze half way on me).

Otherwise I'm impressed with it, the search feature is fantastic. If I were Roku I would pull an Apple and find a way to patent that thing.

The Vevo TV feature reminds me that I miss old MTV but at the same time kind of hate popular music these days.

Pros:
+ Despite some animation lag from time to time, it's still a very snappy responsive device
+ Search feature kills the one that Google TV is trying to implement
+ Cool remote (Audio Port + Gyro) that uses RF so I can use it from upstairs and wireless HDMI to my TV
+ Lots of "Channels", easy to use interface
+ Dual Band Wireless is fantastic for streaming
+ PLEX Channel -- Could use a facelift but works great.

Neutral:
+/-: No Youtube, though VideoBuzz works great
+/-: USB Port, Support is a little spotty

Con:
- Comcast doesn't allow us to use HBO Go on the Roku -- Specifically the Roku, works fine on the 360 and PC, that almost seems illegal.
- Could more "Live Stream" Channels, there is an Aereo app but the service is not yet in my area.
- Some bugs here and there
- Channels are still very, very simple

TheBigDave 04-15-13 03:58 AM

Roku is shutting down the VideoBuzz channel:

We received a notice from Roku management asking us to close down the channel as we don't own the content which is being streamed by VideoBuzz channel. As of now, we will be closing down the channel on Wednesday, April 17th, 2013.

We are discussing with multiple content providers to see if we can provide similar services/channels abiding to Roku Developer agreement. Please like our Facebook page and also subscribe to our newsletter to stay updated for our upcoming features and channels.

Once again thank for your overwhelming support for our VideoBuzz channel and we hope you will continue extending the same support when our new services become available.

http://www.videobuzz.us/
:sad:

RichC2 04-15-13 07:53 AM

Roku absolutely needs to get this YouTube channel bullshit resolved.

hanshotfirst1138 04-15-13 03:14 PM

Yeah, I have a coupon I can use at work to get a Roku box, I think it'd be fun to have one, but the YouTube thing is a big deterrent. And our meager electronics department don't seem to have Apple TV.

RichC2 04-16-13 05:34 PM

Just setup Twonky in connection with my Nexus 7, works very well for YouTube :up:

PhantomStranger 04-20-13 11:38 PM

Google owns YouTube and doesn't want to aid the biggest competitor to their Google TV. I doubt we see a legitimate YouTube option on ROKU.

rduncan 04-21-13 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 11661349)
Google owns YouTube and doesn't want to aid the biggest competitor to their Google TV. I doubt we see a legitimate YouTube option on ROKU.

Makes sense....still don't like the result however.

Dan 04-22-13 11:15 AM

Honestly, I think it's less about that than it is about the likelihood that Roku doesn't handle ads in a way that Google approves. If Google can't deliver ads the way they want to on the Roku, then they have no interest in creating (or approving) an app with no ads.

TheBigDave 04-26-13 02:45 AM

It might be another month until Roku 2 owners get the new UI.

Roku 2 menu update gets a new 'end of May' deadline in message to devs

We loved the Roku 3's new UI when we reviewed it recently and eagerly anticipated its arrival on "current-gen" hardware this month, but that may not be in the cards. Dave Zatz points out an email sent to Roku developers today that mentions "the new user interface introduced with the Roku 3 will be coming to Roku 2, Roku LT and Roku HD (model 2500) by the end of May." That could add a few extra weeks to the wait for current owners, but there may be a silver lining. The email goes on to mention that it expects channels to run the same, if not better (besides looking better) after the upgrade. We've contacted Roku to find out any more details, we'll update if we hear anything more specific.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/25/r...-in-message-t/

theWitcher 05-03-13 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 11668368)
It might be another month until Roku 2 owners get the new UI.

My Streaming Stick was updated overnight.

TheBigDave 05-08-13 08:24 PM

PBS and PBS Kids are now available on the Roku. You have to select your local PBS affiliate and enter your email address. I took a quick look through the offerings, and I'm not too impressed. Seemed to be a couple random episodes in each category. I didn't see any complete shows/seasons. And the video quality was SD.

I wish there was a premium option. I'd be willing to pay $10 a month for full shows/seasons in HD quality.

PBS - http://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/23353/pbs
PBS Kids - http://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/23333/pbs-kids

TheBigDave 05-09-13 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 11683750)
And the video quality was SD.

I think I was incorrect. Looks like they use adaptive streaming, so it takes around a minute for HD to kick in. If I had to guess, I'd say it's 720p. At least on the recent stuff. Haven't checked anything older than 2008.

I wish the bitrate was a little higher. I notice some banding and macroblocking. Especially on stuff like Austin City Limits where the lighting creates gradients. But it's not awful. Probably on par with HD Cable TV.

TheBigDave 05-09-13 03:38 PM

PBS won't work on the old Roku 1 boxes. Roku posted some info on their forum:

Finally, we don’t comment on why a specific channel isn’t supported on certain Roku models. After all, the channels and the content are not ours. But there is usually a reason specific Roku models (usually earlier ones) aren't supported for a new channel. It could be the channel was not developed using the software development kit that works across all devices. It could be that the partner required a specific technology (e.g. video streaming format, ad service, closed captioning format, DRM technology) not supported on certain devices. It could be that specific hardware is required (particularly true for games). It could be that the performance of the channel just isn't good enough on specific models. The hardware of a Roku 3 is pretty different than the original Roku player.

We greatly value our current customers. I know probably every company says that. But word-of-mouth has been a huge driver of new customers for us. You love us and you tell six friends about us. We work hard to make the product better than the day you purchased it so you will tell your friends about Roku. Unfortunately, we won’t always be able to support all channels on all devices. There are other awesome channels coming your way that probably won't work on earlier Roku players. That is why we keep our devices affordable (sub $100). So when you decide it is worth an upgrade, it won’t be as big of a budget hit as upgrading, say, your TV, notebook computer or tablet.

Tom Markworth
Roku Product Management
[email protected]

FULL POST - http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php...art=45#p384497

darkside 05-11-13 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 11655309)
Just setup Twonky in connection with my Nexus 7, works very well for YouTube :up:

Thanks for this info. I had no idea about this, but set it up on my Nexus 7 and I can watch YouTube and even Burning Love on Yahoo on my Roku. Very handy.

rduncan 05-13-13 11:49 AM

I know everything official mentions "by the end of May" for the UI update but I really wish it would hurry up. Still won't have faster Hardware but like the look of it. Now if I can find the time to watch the remaining Murdoch Mysteries. I just watched the first episode of season 3 (and all the previous seasons) so with 12 more for the season and 13 each for seasons 4 and 5..........I'll never make it. Not interested enough to lay out the cash for media.

Just rambling...........

Thanks,

cungar 05-13-13 04:35 PM

I bet they regret putting that ad up on the Roku that made it look like the release was coming in the next day or so. I suspect they ran into some last minute bugs.

Vipper II 05-13-13 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 11689977)
I suspect they ran into some last minute bugs.

Wish my employer would pull back sometimes and wait to release software until they shake out the bugs. I hate the release buggy now, fix later approach.