Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Roku Thread

Old 04-05-15, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,363 Likes on 925 Posts
Re: The Roku Thread

Yup. Triple checked the settings. It is correct.
Old 04-05-15, 10:28 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

New Roku Streamers Now Available

The new 2015 Roku 2 (4210) and Roku 3 (4230) streamers we unveiled last week have begun arriving at retailers. Indeed, my local best Best Buy has both on the shelf. For the timing being, these units retain their existing US pricing – clocking in at $70 and $100, respectively. However, with the recent Apple TV price reduction and presumed summer updates, it’s safe to assume we’ll see periodic sales if not an outright drop in the coming months.

For 2015, we see power parity between the Roku 2 and Roku 3… as both feature the same hardware, including a slightly revised enclosure that pretty much maintains the same footprint as the prior editions. Beyond that exterior though, we believe the guts are identical same this time around. Whereas the 2013 Roku 3 was significantly faster and featured newer, better apps than the Roku 2, it looks like we’re on even footing this year. Which brings up the difference in the two models…

The 2013 Roku 3 shipped with a motion control gaming remote and headphone jack, so as not to disturb a sleeping partner. The 2015 Roku 3 bundles a new “Enhanced Remote” that inherits all the power of its predecessor but also packs voice search à la Amazon Fire TV.

Whether or not the $30 premium for a motion control gaming remote featuring earbuds and microphone is worthwhile will largely depend on your needs. However, I suspect most folks who don’t currently possess Roku, which remains our preferred streamer, would be best served by the cheaper Roku 2 (2015). For those with newer Rokus, there may not be enough here to pull the trigger on an upgrade — especially since we expect the new My Feed feature, to make its way to earlier models and it’s highly likely voice search will land on Roku’s iPhone and Android apps. As such, I’ll continue pining away for a Roku 4 or Roku 4K.

http://zatznotfunny.com/2015-04/new-...now-available/
Old 04-06-15, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,017 Likes on 808 Posts

Yeah, the Roku 2 is the Roku 3 with an IR remote now
Old 04-06-15, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So... they see the voice search feature as being worth $30?
Old 04-06-15, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by arbogast777
So... they see the voice search feature as being worth $30?
The gaming (which nobody uses I assume, I sure don't), headphone, hide-it-behind-a-TV if you want, and voice search is what they're selling for $30. The headphone functionality and wireless direct remote function are the two most important and thankfully I already have those. Though you can use your phone if you need to mount the Roku elsewhere.
Old 04-06-15, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 205 Posts

I'm one month into the Roku club, I have a few questions:

How long do you usually go through a pair of batteries on the remote?

Does the remote sometimes stop responding? I guess its happened about twice so far.
Old 04-06-15, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast

Does the remote sometimes stop responding? I guess its happened about twice so far.
I change batteries maybe twice a year. Probably the same as any other frequently used remote.

How long does it stop responding? I've had a few instances where the remote didn't respond for a few seconds. But it seemed to fix itself and was back to normal.

If you're having some problems, you should check the Roku forum:

http://forums.roku.com/viewforum.php?f=28
Old 04-07-15, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 205 Posts

It was while using Sling and the headphone jack. It switched over to the TV audio, and didn't respond for about an hour (A Mad Men ep). I'll look into it.
Old 04-07-15, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got an update for my Roku mobile app. I now have voice search for my Roku 2 XS.
Old 04-07-15, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience, leaving the headphones plugged into the remote when not using presents a significant drain on the battery life. I now make it a point to disconnect them when not using. Otherwise the battery life is pretty much on par with other types of remotes.
Old 04-07-15, 08:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Not of any particular value to myself (especially at $6 per month) but for those who might be interested...

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/07/cbs-all-access-roku/

CBS All Access launches on Roku with live streaming and VOD

CBS All Access streaming service is now available for Roku for $5.99 a month. Roku owners can download the app via the Roku Channel Store and sign up here. In addition to streaming new shows like NCIS, The Big Bang Theory and The Good Wife, the service has an extensive back catalog of classic CBS shows like Star Trek, Cheers, Jag and Engadget favorite, Touched by an Angel. Live streaming of CBS affiliates is available in 14 markets including Los Angeles, Chicago, New York and Philadelphia with more on the way. If you're not in one of those metropolitan areas, you'll get access to new episodes the day after broadcast. That's a bummer, but CBS says subscribers will have access to additional content during the Grammys, Country Music Awards and Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. All Access is already available for iOS and Android. But, with today's Roku news, you won't have to MacGyver a casting solution to watch MacGyver on your HDTV.
Old 04-07-15, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by parker63
Not of any particular value to myself (especially at $6 per month) but for those who might be interested...

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/07/cbs-all-access-roku/
Thanks for the notification. I've been waiting awhile for this too happen.

I went to the CBS All Access website and it looks like there is no place to enter my activation code for my Roku device.
Old 04-07-15, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,614 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Thanks for the notification. I've been waiting awhile for this too happen.

I went to the CBS All Access website and it looks like there is no place to enter my activation code for my Roku device.
cbs.com/roku

I signed up for the 1 week free trial for shits and giggles. Audio quality is very hollow. Video isn't quite HD. Obviously they have some kinks to work out. Nowhere near Hulu quality yet.
Old 04-07-15, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Engadget
the service has an extensive back catalog of classic CBS shows like Star Trek, Cheers
Interesting, given that both of those actually were NBC shows, not CBS.
Old 04-07-15, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Interesting, given that both of those actually were NBC shows, not CBS.
The studio that produced them was CBS/Paramount
Old 04-07-15, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
cbs.com/roku

I signed up for the 1 week free trial for shits and giggles. Audio quality is very hollow. Video isn't quite HD. Obviously they have some kinks to work out. Nowhere near Hulu quality yet.
I did a Google Search for that and nothing showed up.

Your link worked,however.

thanks
Old 04-07-15, 11:10 PM

How many commercials are on each show?
Old 04-07-15, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
How many commercials are on each show?
Commercial breaks are 1:30 each. They are blocked off at the normal pauses for the end of each act.

Not as bad as free CBS.com which is 3+ minutes.
Old 04-09-15, 12:50 AM

Commercial breaks are 1:30 each. They are blocked off at the normal pauses for the end of each act.
That's still too much for me. I really wish these ad-supported services would offer a Premium tier (commercial free). I don't mind paying extra to skip the ads.

If they had a Premium plan with 1080p video and 5.1 audio, and it included all their current shows, I wouldn't mind paying $10-$15 a month.
Old 04-09-15, 08:24 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Thinking about jumping onto the Roku bandwagon...

Two questions:

1) Is the content the same for either the box or the stick?

2) Could I take this box or stick from TV to TV within my house?

Was thinking about buying Roku and Apple TV, but wanted to make sure I could bring all the content anywhere in my house...
Old 04-09-15, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mao

Two questions:

Was thinking about buying Roku and Apple TV, but wanted to make sure I could bring all the content anywhere in my house...
Yes and Yes. The Stick just has much slower performance, and the Box/Stick in no way associates with your TV (or monitor or whatever it's being displayed on).
Old 04-09-15, 09:09 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yes and Yes. The Stick just has much slower performance, and the Box/Stick in no way associates with your TV (or monitor or whatever it's being displayed on).
Thank you, sir!
Old 04-09-15, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm one month into the Roku club, I have a few questions:

I've had my Roku 3 for about a year and on the same batteries. But I also don't play games or use the headphones.
Old 04-09-15, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Mao

Two questions:

Just want to say, the Roku 3 is great. Don't have any other set top boxes, but I'm very pleased with the Roku.
Old 04-09-15, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Mao

Two questions:

Yes to both questions, as has already been stated. I have brought my Roku 3 on several trips and used it in several different states. It needs a decent internet connection to do any streaming, obviously, but works well as a file player with attached storage. I havent tried to use it in a hotel, but I have heard that may be tricky due to the sign in screen on most hotels wifi. Previously, I had a WDTV with no networking capability, so the Roku is a bit more versatile. One drawback is WD sold a nice blow molded case forthe WDTV that fit everything perfectly, including pockets for three passport size drives. I have yet to find a perfect case for the roku, but I have gotten pretty close.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.