Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Roku Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-13, 02:27 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts
Re: The Roku Thread

Originally Posted by RichC2
Official YouTube App finally added (Roku 3)
Wow. I wasn't expecting that to happen. Awesome news.

Here's the official Roku Blog announcement:

http://blog.roku.com/blog/2013/12/17...ube-on-roku-3/
Old 12-17-13, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
yeah, only to Roku 3. This company's loyalty to older models if fucking atrocious.
"The channel is expected to be available on additional player models next year."

This really doesn't affect me since I still have access to the YouTube channel that was pulled long ago, which still works just fine on my 2 XD. I realize that most people weren't so lucky, though. One (perhaps the lone) benefit of being an early adopter.
Old 12-17-13, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

And I thought the Roku 2 XS I bought 18 months ago would be latest for a while.. ugh..
Old 12-17-13, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Just to note, the YouTube app works with the Cast icon on the Android (and I assume iOS) app. Shows up as another option under my Chromecast.
Old 12-20-13, 02:49 AM

There's some new Roku Channels for Disney XD, Disney Jr, the History Channel, A&E and Lifetime.
Old 12-20-13, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
There's some new Roku Channels for Disney XD, Disney Jr, the History Channel, A&E and Lifetime.
I saw that Disney does require you to validate your cable subscription (which I don't have)---anyone know about History Channel and A & E?
Old 12-20-13, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I saw that Disney does require you to validate your cable subscription (which I don't have)---anyone know about History Channel and A & E?
History, A&E and Lifetime offers a good selection of free episodes (with commercials). If you validate your cable subscription, it unlocks even more episodes. Unfortunately, the list of compatible cable companies is pretty slim.

http://www.history.com/authorize

Comcast isn't on the list.
Old 12-20-13, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Still a better list than the Fox app.

I really do hate Comcast these days.
Old 12-20-13, 09:59 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

History, A&E and Lifetime offers a good selection of free episodes (with commercials). If you validate your cable subscription, it unlocks even more episodes. Unfortunately, the list of compatible cable companies is pretty slim.

Neither is Dish or DTV. Looks like it's only the mom & pop shops.
Old 12-20-13, 10:29 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is baseball like on this thing? The price of cable going up all the time and the orice of mlb demand, its just too expensive. Blackouts I imagine/ not full picture? Is it the same mlb on the ps3?

I read this thread just now and am confused on some things. What is the point of having this and cable at same time and have to validate you have it in your cable subscription? If you have it on cable why dick around trying to get it on roku?

Last edited by banthafett; 12-20-13 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-20-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks. I have Comcast, but just for the local channels, and that wouldn't validate any of these channels anyways. But I'm okay with free episdodes with commercials.
Old 12-20-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by banthafett
I read this thread just now and am confused on some things. What is the point of having this and cable at same time and have to validate you have it in your cable subscription? If you have it on cable why dick around trying to get it on roku?
I don't know about others, but I originally bought one to use to stream personal videos, pictures and music from an external USB drive to my tv.

I've come to like some of the channels (Iheartradio, Vevo, ESPN3, etc.). I like having the added streaming opportunities with Vudu, Amazon Prime, etc. Now there's Youtube and other things being added which works out for a nice alternative right on my tv without the need for a computer or other device.

Sure some cable channels are now coming online with content that you need to validate for and since I have cable, I don't. Perhaps someone doesn't receive an on demand type of service with their cable. These channels that require validation would then offer some of that content to them. Also, since I personally haven't validate any channels that require it, I don't know if there is content the differs from what is available on my provider's (Comcast) On Demand service.
Old 12-20-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm ditching satellite and keeping Hulu Plus ($8 a month), which means I can watch the network shows without having to validate. But the general point of the channels that do require you to validate is that it's like an on-demand service. If you missed a show you can stream it on demand through the network's channel.

I get why a cable channel would want to make sure you subscribe to cable because they get fees from that. But it does irk me that a broadcast network like ABC wants it.
Old 12-20-13, 10:09 PM

It sounds like the recent update to the Roku [update Roku 5.3 Build:4010]
adds an additional closed captioning option. At the Roku main menu, Settings -> Captions

It's on our Roku 2 (2720), and others reported it's on the Roku 3.

more information in this (link). Unfortunately, which channels at the present time support the CC that was added to the main menu of the Roku seems to be hit and miss judging from the couple of channels that I checked out.
Old 12-21-13, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Since the Roku is just a platform, I think it's something the individual content providers will have to enable/disable.
Old 12-21-13, 10:19 AM

What is baseball like on this thing? The price of cable going up all the time and the orice of mlb demand, its just too expensive. Blackouts I imagine/ not full picture? Is it the same mlb on the ps3?
I've subscribed to MLB.TV for the past two seasons at around $150 per season. It's great if you want to watch a lot of baseball. You will be blacked out of your local team's games, but you will be able to watch any other game during the regular season except the Sunday night ESPN game. New in 2014 is that the Fox Saturday games will not be blacked out.

All games, including the blacked-out games and all postseason games, are archived so you can go back and watch any game at any time. I'm still able now to watch any game played in 2013.

Video quality through Roku I would grade as B+, if you call quality through cable provider as A. I found that Roku handles it much much better than my LG blu-ray player, which I would rate C-.
Old 12-21-13, 10:33 AM

Set-up a deal alert for MLB.TV over at Slickdeals. I see discounts from time to time.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/dealalerts.php
Old 12-21-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I'm ditching satellite and keeping Hulu Plus ($8 a month), which means I can watch the network shows without having to validate. But the general point of the channels that do require you to validate is that it's like an on-demand service. If you missed a show you can stream it on demand through the network's channel.

I get why a cable channel would want to make sure you subscribe to cable because they get fees from that. But it does irk me that a broadcast network like ABC wants it.
I understand what you are saying about the cable channels. Honestly, I expected the same but lets look at an example. Syfy channel. I may be doing something wrong but all I can get on Roku are short clips and other BS of no interest. I want to stream full shows. Not on the Roku. At least, I don't see how. Yet, if I go to the Syfy website I CAN stream full episodes. On average about 5 per show (like HULU). Not the whole season and not commercial free but not bad for free.
I expected the Roku to be at least as good as the Syfy website. It isn't. Not even close. I bought the Roku 3 and wanted to like it and I admit I have not yet fully explored it, but so far it isn't nearly as good as my computer.

Another thing that puzzles me is HULU. Why the hell can't I get plain old HULU sans the plus? I used free HULU a lot but it doesn't seem to be an option on any streaming device other than a computer.
Old 12-21-13, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy
Another thing that puzzles me is HULU. Why the hell can't I get plain old HULU sans the plus? I used free HULU a lot but it doesn't seem to be an option on any streaming device other than a computer.
Free Hulu can be streamed on your TV via Playon through your Roku. However, you need to purchase the software for $50 (on sale right now) for a lifetime license. Regular price is $129. You need to keep your computer on all the time if you do this. Since free Hulu only streams in 480i, the signal will be SD.

Hulu Plus costs $8 per month, but you get to stream most popular shows in HD without delays (usually posted a day after it airs.)

You can't be cheap when it comes to this. If you want to watch quality HD shows via streaming and doing it legally, you need to pay some money whether it's a la carte or subscribing monthly.
Old 12-21-13, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Some families who have cable satellite don't want to have 2-3 boxes. Most cable/satellite companies charge extra to have a 2nd or 3rd DVR/box. Hence, those who are subscribers can circumvent this by keeping 1 main box and then using Roku for the bedroom or another room and all they would need to do is just validate their subscription.
Old 12-21-13, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I expected the Roku to be at least as good as the Syfy website. It isn't. Not even close. I bought the Roku 3 and wanted to like it and I admit I have not yet fully explored it, but so far it isn't nearly as good as my computer.
And you realize that's SyFy's call, not Roku's. SyFy developed its channel and has decided to limit it.

The way I bypass network limits is with the PlayOn channel. Yes, I had to pay for a lifetime software license, but with a discount it wasn't bad.
Old 12-21-13, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Free Hulu can be streamed on your TV via Playon through your Roku. However, you need to purchase the software for $50 (on sale right now) for a lifetime license. Regular price is $129. You need to keep your computer on all the time if you do this. Since free Hulu only streams in 480i, the signal will be SD.
Right. Well, I appreciate the effort but I'm really not inclined to throw more money at it. I have a desktop and use a 32" Panny for a monitor so I stream Hulu free just fine without any extra software. I could also stream it via my Personal Video Recorder (computer dedicated to recording OTA HDTV) but SD looks like crap on my 73" Mits.

Hulu Plus costs $8 per month, but you get to stream most popular shows in HD without delays (usually posted a day after it airs.)
Good point. I forgot how low the resolution was on Hulu free. I usually only use it to catch up when I have a recording snafu.
You can't be cheap when it comes to this. If you want to watch quality HD shows via streaming and doing it legally, you need to pay some money whether it's a la carte or subscribing monthly.
I can see that now. I'm not finding much for free (with commercials) on Roku that is worth a crap.
Old 12-21-13, 09:30 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

you can now stream in HD via Playon fwiw.
Old 12-21-13, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
And you realize that's SyFy's call, not Roku's. SyFy developed its channel and has decided to limit it.

The way I bypass network limits is with the PlayOn channel. Yes, I had to pay for a lifetime software license, but with a discount it wasn't bad.
No, I didn't know that. Bad call I think. I had hoped to use the Roku to access some different shows while my PVR was busy. I now see it has even less utility than I thought. People are really better off just using their computer. As far as PlayOn goes... I'm not married to my Roku. Does PlayOn add anything I can't easily get on the internet? If it does, I don't see what it is.
Old 12-21-13, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk God

No, I didn't know that. Bad call I think. I had hoped to use the Roku to access some different shows while my PVR was busy. I now see it has even less utility than I thought. People are really better off just using their computer. As far as PlayOn goes... I'm not married to my Roku. Does PlayOn add anything I can't easily get on the internet? If it does, I don't see what it is.
I'm confused about what is frustrating you so much about the Roku.

I know you don't subscribe to any cable provider, but what exactly are you expecting. The Roku's main job really is a hub to let you watch Netflix, Hulu Plus and even Amazon Instant on your TV in HD. If you don't subscribe to any of those three or in the case of Amazon dont want to spend money to watch current basic cable shows like The Walking Dead or Justified a la carte, then it sounds like it has no real purpose for you. If you spent the 80-99 bucks hoping to find a wealth of current and popular OTA and basic cable shows in HD without spending a dime, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.