DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   PlayON for Roku - who uses it? Thoughts? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/605408-playon-roku-who-uses-thoughts.html)

islandclaws 10-05-12 10:55 AM

PlayON for Roku - who uses it? Thoughts?

I downloaded the PlayOn channel to my Roku last night. So far, seems pretty good. I only used it for the YouTube channel, which plays fine despite being somewhat laggy. It also can't seem to load my favorites without erroring out.

I haven't checked out all the other channels it offers yet, but since I'm just on a 2 week trial I figured I'd see who uses it and what they feel they're getting out of it. If it's that great, I might just plop down $50 for the lifetime subscription.

TheBigDave 10-05-12 04:31 PM

Re: PlayON for Roku - who uses it? Thoughts?

I have a lifetime membership. But I don't use it much. I never liked the video quality. Although I'm using a 60-inch plasma, so it probably looks better on a smaller TV.

The main reason I don't use it is because I don't need to. I never have a problem finding stuff to watch. Maybe if my options were more limited, I'd appreciate the additional streaming content that Play-on provides. But it's probably been 6 months since I've even opened the PlayOn channel.

If you're going to sign-up, looks for coupon codes or sales. Seems like they're always offering discounts.

And here's a couple sites with PlayOn scripts/plugins:

http://www.playonscripts.com/
http://playonplugins.info/forum/index.php
http://www.playonmonkeys.com/tv-channels-live.html

TGM 10-05-12 04:51 PM

I too have the lifetime sub... I use it every once in awhile. With PlayOn you can stream good old free Hulu. The video quality is sketchy at times, I will admit.

You can also use the PlayOn app and watch stuff on your iPad if you had one.

TheBigDave 10-05-12 05:47 PM

Also, I noticed that PlayOn seemed to work much better on my PS3. Like I said, it's been a couple months since I used it. So I don't know if they improved the Roku channel. But when I used PlayOn, I always preferred the PS3 app.

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe (Post 11414655)
With PlayOn you can stream good old free Hulu.

I forgot about Hulu. I used it a couple times in the past to watch some Hulu stuff. That's definitely a nice benefit.

Heat 10-06-12 12:04 AM

I haven't used it but looked into it - it looks like it would be great if Roku did not exist since you could use it on your gaming machines, iPads, etc. But I don't see $50 worth of value so I passed.

Also, note that the lifetime subscription is most likely the life of your Roku unit since you have to register the serial number. Kind of like the old XM radio lifetime subscriptions - good for the life of the head unit only.

TGM 10-06-12 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Heat (Post 11415184)
I haven't used it but looked into it - it looks like it would be great if Roku did not exist since you could use it on your gaming machines, iPads, etc. But I don't see $50 worth of value so I passed.

Also, note that the lifetime subscription is most likely the life of your Roku unit since you have to register the serial number. Kind of like the old XM radio lifetime subscriptions - good for the life of the head unit only.

Lifetime sub for PlayOn has nothing to do with the life of one particular Roku. I have three Roku's, one iPad, and one Droid RAZR all "registered" to use PlayOn.

DJariya 10-06-12 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 11414617)
I have a lifetime membership. But I don't use it much. I never liked the video quality. Although I'm using a 60-inch plasma, so it probably looks better on a smaller TV.

The main reason I don't use it is because I don't need to. I never have a problem finding stuff to watch. Maybe if my options were more limited, I'd appreciate the additional streaming content that Play-on provides. But it's probably been 6 months since I've even opened the PlayOn channel.

If you're going to sign-up, looks for coupon codes or sales. Seems like they're always offering discounts.

Pretty much summarizes my thoughts as well. The video quality of Playon is SD and looks awful on an HDTV. I used Playon alot more when I still had an SDTV and the picture looked alot better then.

Another issue I had with the software is streaming/buffering problems. There are a few 3rd Party plug-ins that allow you to watch Pirated content on some illegal websites and sometimes playback would flat out crash or buffer in the middle of playing a movie or TV show and you would have to start all over again. It got really annoying.

If you have cable/satellite, Netflix or a Hulu Plus subscription, IMO there is no point to buying this software.

The only real benefit to Playon is being able to watch all content from Hulu (including web only) through your TV. Although as I just said, the streaming quality is spotty and in SD.

TGM 10-06-12 05:30 PM

you also can't FF or RW any of the streaming content without it having an absolute meltdown.

islandclaws 10-18-12 11:08 AM

I decided to ditch it. I got a new Blu-ray player that handles YouTube about a bajillion times better.

mattysemo247 10-25-12 12:13 PM

Are there some shows that just don't work with playon? Like last season "2 broke girls" was on there, now it's gone.

Wolf359 03-07-14 09:34 AM

Anyone use this now that you can stream/record 720p?

JCWBobC 03-11-14 10:46 AM

I tried using PlayON on our Roku 2 devices but it kept going to the loading screen every few seconds. I switched to Plex and it worked 100 times better so I deleted PlayON.

kantonburg 02-07-19 02:25 PM

I came here just to see if anyone uses PlayOn. I've had a lifetime sub now for awhile just to record stuff from subscriptions I have and use Plex to stream it. It appears you guys didn't use it in that manner. It's been 4ish years now. Anyone else use PlayOn? The quality seems fine for us. I have an 8TB external hard drive I use to record to.

Orbi-Wan Techno 02-11-19 09:44 AM

I have it but I don't use it on Roku. What ever I record, I move to a Plex server.