DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   Netflix: David Fincher's House of Cards to debut Feb 1st, 2013 (all 13 eps) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/605376-netflix-david-finchers-house-cards-debut-feb-1st-2013-all-13-eps.html)

RichC2 10-04-12 12:02 PM

Netflix: David Fincher's House of Cards to debut Feb 1st, 2013 (all 13 eps)

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/column-pos...ere-date-59191

David Fincher's 'House of Cards' Gets Netflix Premiere Date
Published: October 04, 2012 @ 8:35 am

Post a Comment
By Tim Molloy

The entire 13-episode first season of the Netflix original series "House of Cards" will be available to watch instantly on Feb. 1, 2013, the company announced.

The series, from "Social Network" director David Fincher, playwright and screenwriter Beau Willimon ("Farragut North," "The Ides of March,") and Oscar winning writer Eric Roth ("Forrest Gump," "Munich"), stars Oscar winner Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright. It represents a major push into original programming for Netflix, the video rental and streaming company.

The series -- for which Fincher directed the first two episodes -- is based is based on the BBC miniseries of the same name. It follows Francis Underwood (Spacey), a charismatic, ruthless and beguiling whose wife, Claire, shares his intense ambitions.

“‘House of Cards’ combines the best of filmmaking with the best of television. Beau Willimon’s compelling narrative, David Fincher’s unparalleled craftsmanship, indelible performances by Kevin Spacey and the rest of the cast unite to create a gripping story and new kind of viewing experience for Netflix members,” said Ted Sarandos, chief content officer of Netflix. “In offering the entire season at once, Netflix is giving viewers complete control over how and when they watch the show.”

The drama’s second season is set to begin production in spring 2013.

The series is executive produced by Fincher, Willimon, Joshua Donen, Roth, Spacey, Dana Brunetti, Andrew Davies, Michael Dobbs and John Melfi. it is produced by Donen/Fincher/Roth and Trigger Street Productions, Inc. in association with Media Rights Capital for Netflix.

Groucho 10-04-12 12:03 PM

Re: Netflix: David Fincher's House of Cards to debut Feb 1st, 2013 (all 13 eps)

A charismatic, ruthless and beguiling what?

Larry C. 10-04-12 12:06 PM

Asshole?

RichC2 10-04-12 12:15 PM

''a masterful politician who's described as "beguiling, charismatic and ruthless." ''

Apparently The Wrap doesn't understand how to rephrase descriptions very well, but it should be Charismatic, ruthless and beguiling politician, though Asshole also works.

DJariya 10-04-12 12:31 PM

The budget is reportedly $100M

RichC2 10-04-12 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11412567)
The budget is reportedly $100M

Total for both seasons. They got away decently for a 26 episode series starring Kevin Spacey and produced/directed by Fincher. Turns out being shy of $4m/episode.

Since they're trying to do the HBO thing, some comparisons:

Rome on HBO was $100m for Season 1 (12 episodes).
Boardwalk Empire (Pilot) was $50m.
Band of Brothers (10 episodes) was $125m
True Blood (12 episodes) $50 - $60m per season.
The Sopranos - about $2m per episode
Deadwood - about $5m per episode

Brent L 10-04-12 03:46 PM

I really, really hope that Netflix has great success with this and of course Arrested Development.

RichC2 10-04-12 04:28 PM

I do too, it's a big step for premium content and I greatly prefer this platform to the traditional cable + extra fee for premium like with HBO (who is also under pressure from both sides, viewers want them to offer HBO Go a la carte, cable providers obviously object.)

I do think putting all 13 episodes on at once is a little bit of a mistake, but one I appreciate.

Drexl 10-04-12 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 11412979)
I do too, it's a big step for premium content and I greatly prefer this platform to the traditional cable + extra fee for premium like with HBO (who is also under pressure from both sides, viewers want them to offer HBO Go a la carte, cable providers obviously object.)

I do think putting all 13 episodes on at once is a little bit of a mistake, but one I appreciate.

I don't understand it either. From a consumer perspective, it's nice. But from their perspective, how is it a good idea?

Shows that air (stream?) for weeks keep the discussion going throughout all that time. In these cases, the buzz will be over within a few days, or however long it takes people to get through them.

Streaming one episode per week would get people into the habit of coming back, which would get them more attached to the service. They'd also have to pay for multiple months if they want to watch them ASAP; as it is, I only need to add streaming for the minimum amount of time, and then I can drop it. Someone on a free trial can see all of them before the trial expires, and without waiting for the episodes to accumulate first.

I'm not complaining, but I am surprised they're doing this.

zekeburger1979 10-05-12 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 11412573)
Total for both seasons. They got away decently for a 26 episode series starring Kevin Spacey and produced/directed by Fincher. Turns out being shy of $4m/episode.

Since they're trying to do the HBO thing, some comparisons:

Rome on HBO was $100m for Season 1 (12 episodes).
Boardwalk Empire (Pilot) was $50m.
Band of Brothers (10 episodes) was $125m
True Blood (12 episodes) $50 - $60m per season.
The Sopranos - about $2m per episode
Deadwood - about $5m per episode

The Pacific was about $250 million for 10 episodes.

RichC2 11-15-12 10:08 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ULwUzF1q5w4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well if they were going for cinematic they achieved it with flying colors. Visually you can tell Fincher directed a good chunk of the footage in that trailer, it looks like The Social Network as a political TV series.

Groucho 11-15-12 10:17 AM

Wow, looks surprisingly faithful to the original (which was all about UK Parliamentary politics, so go figure). By the way, that version is available now on Netflix Streaming and I highly recommend it.

RichC2 11-15-12 10:29 AM

The upside down flag as it's logo is humorously relevant with the sheer number of individuals doing that following this recent campaign.

DJariya 11-15-12 12:10 PM

Wow that looks good. Definitely doesn't look like a TV series. Sucks that they are posting all 13 episodes at the same time. Would have rather had them do it weekly.

I wonder how many episodes Fincher is directing?

Groucho 11-15-12 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11469308)
Sucks that they are posting all 13 episodes at the same time. Would have rather had them do it weekly.

I agree. They are basically killing any "water cooler effect" that the show might have.