DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   Is the Sony SMP-N200 streamer worth $10? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/602335-sony-smp-n200-streamer-worth-%2410.html)

D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB) 06-10-12 12:39 PM

Is the Sony SMP-N200 streamer worth $10?

Well, I bought the SMP-N200 direct from Sony for $10, but I don't know if it's worth it based on the so-so reviews. I did a search here and there wasn't much talk of it. I do have a few Roku 2 XS that I bought for $50 recently. The reason why I bought the Sony is because it has component output, which is nice because the HDMI port on one of my tv's is not functioning and viewing over composite isn't that great.

Heat 06-10-12 03:31 PM

Re: Is the Sony SMP-N200 streamer worth $10?

Hmm... depends on whether you will be using Vudu since the Sony has it but Roku doesn't. For $10 plus $5 shipping it would have been a good deal, if you had a TV to use it on (doesn't already have a Roku or a PS3 / XBox 360).

I saw it at slickdeals, but the deal is now dead (out of stock).

D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB) 06-10-12 03:59 PM

I have only opened one of my roku 2 xs, so I could return what I haven't opened. The problem is that one tv doesn't have working hdmi, but has component. I guess I will wait and see.

b2net 06-10-12 06:07 PM

Roku doesn't support VUDU.. arg !

D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB) 06-28-12 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Heat (Post 11266782)
Hmm... depends on whether you will be using Vudu since the Sony has it but Roku doesn't. For $10 plus $5 shipping it would have been a good deal, if you had a TV to use it on (doesn't already have a Roku or a PS3 / XBox 360).

I saw it at slickdeals, but the deal is now dead (out of stock).

My order was canceled, but sent an email to complain, and they said that they would send me 2 NEW units. Btw, it was cheaper to buy it with a filler than without.

Travis McClain 07-15-12 12:51 AM

I've been wanting a streaming player for a while now, and Amazon recently ran this on sale for $49. I had accrued nearly $60 in Amazon credit, so I decided to cash in and ordered this plus a 7' HDMI cable. I've switched from Netflix to HuluPlus recently. It's fine on the laptop but the HuluPlus channel on the Wii freezes all the time, even just on the opening menu screen. I've watched a handful of movies on the Sony player already and the only problem I've had was with my shoddy Internet connection itself.

The data entry interface could be a little easier to use, but I'm not complaining.

redrum 07-15-12 06:49 PM

i have this, it's cool, i use it to play my mkv files

it's also a lot faster than my roommates Roku with loading up files and fast forwarding/rewinding