Originally Posted by TheBigDave
This month's new shows have been added:

Doc Martin: Season 6
Vera: Season 3
Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey
Above Suspicion: Season 1-4
The Broker's Man
The Last Detective: Season 1-4
Good to hear. I hope Doc martin doesn't lose anything from the earlier seasons and Vera holds up to my expectations. I also really likes Joanna Lumley's previous work traveling the Nile. I wasn't sure what to expect but it sure wasn't an Ab Fab type show.
Old 10-07-13, 05:09 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: AcornTV - Classic British TV Shows

Here's the shows coming on November 4th:

Midsomer Murders: Set 23
The Crimson Petal & The White
Injustice
Prime Suspect
Brideshead Revisited
Blue Murder

Old 10-14-13, 05:21 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

For those interested in Drama/Mystery type shows check out "Above Suspicion". Holy Cow this one is good. If you are squeamish at crime scene images look away but it has captured my attention. Some stories take three episodes to complete so they aren't really a sit down and kill 30 minutes type of show.

Rick
Old 11-04-13, 02:53 AM

The November shows have just been added:

Midsomer Murders: Set 23
Prime Suspect: Set 1-7
Blue Murder: Set 1-4
Injustice
The Crimson Petal & The White
Brideshead Revisited
Old 11-08-13, 12:52 PM

Here's the shows coming on December 2nd:

Upstairs, Downstairs (1971)
William & Mary
Les Petits Meutres D'Agatha Christie
Under Capricorn
Springhill
Northern Lights
Mr & Mrs Murder

It's nice to see a couple comedy shows. I wish they'd get more.
Old 11-08-13, 12:55 PM

Miss Fisher's Murder Mystery Series 2 premieres in the US on Acorn TV starting Jan. 6
Acorn TV will add the first episode January 6 and then a new episode every Monday for 12 weeks.
Old 12-26-13, 04:31 PM

Well folks, I'm coming up on my 1st year anniversary of my annual subscription and kept dragging my feet about renewing before the higher prices went into affect. For $29.xx I think it's worth it but $49.xx perhaps not (for me). Anyone think there might be some sort of sale for at least a renewal or something?? I'm trying to reduce my overall cost of entertainment and mostly have only free streaming stuff but do have this and Amazon from my Prime account. I may even drop prime after it runs out but I was one of the lucky folks who got their order delivered on Christmas Eve as scheduled.

So ideas/advice/rumors on a discount Acorn subscription?? I admit I have not attempted to contact their customer service to ask.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 12-27-13, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by rduncan
Well folks, I'm coming up on my 1st year anniversary of my annual subscription and kept dragging my feet about renewing before the higher prices went into affect. For $29.xx I think it's worth it but $49.xx perhaps not (for me). Anyone think there might be some sort of sale for at least a renewal or something??
I don't recall ever seeing a sale on subscription rates. The Acorn Store sells a Roku 2XD with 6-months of Acorn Premium for $79.99. That's only worthwhile if you were planning to buy another Roku.

$50/year might seem pricey for their limited catalog. But it's not bad considering the DVD/BD sets are usually $20-$40 per season. It would be a better deal if half the shows weren't also available on Netflix and Amazon Prime.

They have a monthly plan for $5/month. It requires a 3-month commitment. Once or twice a year you could sign-up for 3 months ($15) and marathon through a couple shows that aren't on Netflix/Amazon.
Old 01-07-14, 05:20 AM

The new shows for January have been added:

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries: Series 2
Agatha Christie Poirot: Series 12
Time Team: Set 3
Trial & Retribution
Fresh Fields
French Fields
Maigret

Coming on February 3rd:

George Gently: Series 6
Jack Irish: Series 2
Agatha Christie's Marple: Series 5
You, Me & Them
Holy Flying Circus
Slings & Arrows
Father Brown

These shows will expire soon:

A Bit of a Do
Chance in a Million
The Norman Conquests
Old 01-07-14, 08:59 AM

The new shows for January have been added:

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries: Series 2
Agatha Christie Poirot: Series 12
Time Team: Set 3
Trial & Retribution
Fresh Fields
French Fields
Maigret

Coming on February 3rd:

George Gently: Series 6
Jack Irish: Series 2
Agatha Christie's Marple: Series 5
You, Me & Them
Holy Flying Circus
Slings & Arrows
Father Brown

These shows will expire soon:

A Bit of a Do
Chance in a Million
The Norman Conquests
I was able to view the first episode of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries fine but had to give up on an episode of Time team. It constantly buffered and attempted to reload until I decided it wasn't worth it. This only seems to happen to me on Acorn and I was able to use other services just fine.
Old 01-07-14, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by rduncan
I was able to view the first episode of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries fine but had to give up on an episode of Time team. It constantly buffered and attempted to reload until I decided it wasn't worth it. This only seems to happen to me on Acorn and I was able to use other services just fine.
You're not the only one. I've had buffering problems too. And I see people complaining about it all the time on their Facebook page. This is from a couple days ago:

Lynda Dyar: I love the programs on AcornTV but am getting sooooo frustrated with the streaming that I'm probably going to cancel my subscription. Streaming quality goes from just barely tolerable to really, really choppy. Was just now trying to watch Murdoch Mysteries and it's impossible. I am hugely disappointed. AcornTV needs to hear our complaints and fix them because they have a goldmine here but will lose it if they don't fix these streaming problems. And it's not my bandwith as I have no problem with Netflix or YouTube.

Acorn Online: We are aware that it's unreliable. We have switched providers - unfortunately, that switch went horribly wrong and made everything worse over Christmas - so now we've gone back to our old provider while we try to get the problems sorted out with the new provider. I will say, however, that we try to be very upfront about people needing to have a consistent minimum bandwidth of 1600 kbps. This is quite a bit higher than Netflix and Amazon because we are a significantly smaller service and far less mature - they've been doing this for years and have economies of scale (and massive technical teams) that we do not.

Acorn Online: So, just because Netflix and Amazon works for you, that doesn't necessarily mean Acorn TV will work for you the same way. We don't love this either so we're trying to fix it, but we have done our best to be as open about our requirements as possible. Thank you for the feedback and I hope you will see an improvement soon!
They frequently blame the customer's internet speed, repeating the 1600kbps minimum requirement. But that's a load of crap. I run all kinds of speed tests and even during peak prime time hours I'm well above 10Mbps. I can watch Vudu HDX, but can't handle AcornTV on the lowest setting? Give me a break.

Anyways, the best thing to do is keep sending in reports. On the Roku app, under the Help section go to Contact Us, which will send them a diagnostic report. And post on their Facebook page. If you do cancel, make sure you let them know why. Maybe they'll eventually pony up some cash for a decent provider. At the very least, they should extend memberships until it gets fixed or offer refunds.

The service is awesome when it works. But when it doesn't, it's frustrating.
Old 01-07-14, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

They frequently blame the customer's internet speed, repeating the 1600kbps minimum requirement. But that's a load of crap. I run all kinds of speed tests and even during peak prime time hours I'm well above 10Mbps. I can watch Vudu HDX, but can't handle AcornTV on the lowest setting? Give me a break.
The problem with streaming over the internet is potential bottlenecks. They may have a fat pipe on their server end, and you have a fat pipe on your end, but if there's a connection between you two that's all tied up, all you'll get is a trickle.

Netflix and other large providers use large-scale CDNs (Content Distribution Networks) that basically sidestep the internet for disctribution and provide feeds via connections much closer to the end consumer. Youtube famously started housing some of their video servers right at the ISPs, called caching servers, so that for the most popular videos ISP users don't even have to connect out to the internet to retrieve, alleviating bandwidth.

It's not clear what AcornTV means by "provider", but obviously they haven't set up the sort of infrastructure the larger video services have. With their minimum bandwidth requirement, they're likely hoping that users can grab enough of the data over various different paths over the internet to keep the buffer full and streaming seamless even if certain individual paths aren't up to snuff.
Old 01-08-14, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

That sucks. I understand what they're saying about technical challenges, but if they lose some of their primo subscribers now, they might never get them back, and their ability to attract new people would be severely impaired. Then what are the chances they can improve the service?
Old 04-02-14, 07:22 AM

A couple shows are leaving on Monday (April 7th).

The Diets That Time Forgot
Honest
The Queen
Shades
The Sinking of the Laconia

Old 04-03-14, 02:35 PM

A couple shows are leaving on Monday (April 7th).

The Diets That Time Forgot
Honest
The Queen
Shades
The Sinking of the Laconia

Looks like all of them are recycled from earlier. Actually the diet one was interesting.
Old 08-21-15, 06:33 PM

Here’s the full rundown of what’s new next month on Acorn TV:

Agatha Christie’s Partners In Crime (9/03)
One of Agatha Christie’s most popular detective duos, Tommy and Tuppence Beresford, are hitting the small screen. David Walliams (Little Britain) and Jessica Raine (Call The Midwife) star as the suburban couple-turned-detectives. Note: this is the first time the British series is available to US audiences. (Episodes 1 & 2 premiere September 3, new episodes debut every Thursday after that.)

44 Inch Chest (9/04 - Friday Feature)

Restless (9/07)
Ruth Gilmartin (Michelle Dockery) is astounded to learn that her mother Sally (Charlotte Rampling) was a Russian-born World War II spy. The beguiling Hayley Atwell plays the young Sally/Eva in flashbacks.

Empire (9/07)

Rumpole: Series 4 (9/07)

Barrymore (9/11 - Friday Feature)

Being Poirot (9/14)
David Suchet is known all over the world for playing Agatha Christie’s famed Belgian investigator Hercule Poirot. This new documentary focuses on the effect that’s had on the actor’s life.

Q-I: Series 3 & 4 (9/14)

Rumpole: Series 5 (9/14)

The Way Back (9/18 - Friday Feature)

Sword of Honour (9/21)
Daniel Craig stars as a 35-year-old Brit who returns home to serve his country in the fight against the Nazis in World War II. Things quickly turn out to be more complicated than he could have imagined…

Rumpole: Series 6 (9/21)

Dangerous Davies: The Last Detective (9/25 - Friday Feature)

LAST CALL! Titles Leaving Acorn TV by the End of September:

Drop Dead Gorgeous
Nixon’s The One
Old 12-15-15, 01:39 AM

Some new shows are premiering on AcornTV in January:

On Monday, December 21, A Place to Call Home will roll out the first three episodes of the third season on Acorn TV, as well as the original, never-before-seen in the U.S. ending to the second season. The remainder of the new season's episodes will become available on December 28, January 4 and January 11. The show stars Marta Dusseldorf (Jack Irish) as a nurse who becomes involved in the affairs of a wealthy family in Australia during the 1950s.

The U.K.'s Midwinter of the Spirit will make its U.S. premiere on Acorn TV on consecutive Mondays starting January 11. The book-based miniseries is a supernatural thriller starring Anna Maxwell Martin (The Bletchley Circle) as a country vicar and exorcist-in-training who helps the police solve a homicide. The cast also includes David Threlfall (Shameless), Kate Dickie (Game of Thrones), Nicholas Pinnock (Fortitude), Leila Mimmack (Mayday), Siobhan Finneran (Downton Abbey) and Ben Bailey Smith (Law & Order: UK).

Canada's 19-2 will make its U.S. debut on Monday, January 18, with its first two episodes, followed by a new episode every Monday through March 14. The ten-part police drama stars Adrian Holmes (Arrow) and Jared Keeso (Elysium) as partners in the Montreal Police Department who must learn how to put aside their differences. The second season of 19-2 will become available on Acorn TV later in 2016, and a third season is in production.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.worldscreen.com/articles/...fthespirit-192
Old 02-04-16, 10:38 PM

Acorn TV is now available in the Apple TV app store. According to the article, the iOS app has also been updated with improved Airplay streaming to previous Apple TV models.

Apple is charging $6.99/mo. It's cheaper to subscribe at the Acorn website ($4.99/mo).

Apple TV Adds App for Brit-Television Streaming Service Acorn TV

RLJ Entertainment’s Acorn TV subscription-video service, which specializes in bringing British television fare to U.S. audiences, is now available on Apple TV.

Acorn TV, priced at $4.99 per month, offers access to more than 1,800 hours of programming. That includes about 60 exclusively licensed series such as “Agatha Christie’s Poirot” (pictured above), which originally aired on the U.K.’s ITV.

The niche SVOD service teamed with over-the-top provider Qello, which operates a streaming service with a collection of concerts and music documentaries, to develop Acorn TV’s app for the fourth-generation Apple TV. In addition, Qello created an updated iOS app for Acorn TV that delivers in-app purchasing and improved support for streaming to older Apple TVs via AirPlay. (Purchased through Apple’s App Store, Acorn TV is $6.99 per month.)

READ MORE - http://variety.com/2016/digital/news...es-1201696972/
Old 04-17-16, 02:17 AM

If anyone's interested, here's some info from RLJ Entertainment's recent financial report:

On a year-on-year basis, Acorn TV subscriber base grew 65.3%, reaching 195,000 paid subscribers as of December 2015.

As of March 31st, 2016, the Acorn TV subscriber count has grown to 260,000 paid subscribers across all platforms, an increase of 33% since December 31st, 2015.

Miguel Penella, CEO of RLJ Entertainment, added "In order to sharpen our focus on digital platforms, we also have made the tough decision to shut down unprofitable lines of business and exit our print catalog advertising. We continue to focus on the growth of our proprietary digital streaming channels through the development, acquisition, and exclusive distribution of television programming and feature film content. The strong growth in its subscription numbers clearly shows increasing demand for Acorn TV, a digital brand that super-serves distinct and discerning fans of British mysteries and dramas."

FULL REPORT - http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300252024.html
Old 05-22-16, 10:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If they had more British comedies available I probably would subscribe, My Hulu subscriptio has more britcom variety.
Old 05-22-16, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

If you are into intense, careful UK thrillers, make sure to check out The Fall with Gillian Anderson and the guy from Fifty Shades of Grey. Yes, Jamie Dornan is amazing in the role of a methodical serial killer.

It ran two seasons.

http://doblu.com/2016/03/02/the-fall...lu-ray-review/

http://doblu.com/2016/03/22/fall-ser...lu-ray-review/
Old 05-23-16, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
If you are into intense, careful UK thrillers, make sure to check out The Fall with Gillian Anderson and the guy from Fifty Shades of Grey. Yes, Jamie Dornan is amazing in the role of a methodical serial killer.
That's been in my Netflix queue for a while. I'll have to check it out.

https://www.netflix.com/title/70272726