DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   Hulu to start charging for content as early as 2010 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/563579-hulu-start-charging-content-early-2010-a.html)

Doug Heffernan 10-22-09 07:21 PM

Re: Hulu to start charging for content as early as 2010

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9789952)
I just pooped into a plastic bag and dropped it in the mailbox.

Please, stay on topic.

Michael Corvin 10-22-09 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9789952)
I just pooped into a plastic bag and dropped it in the mailbox.

Your mailbox?

boredsilly 10-22-09 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by dx23 (Post 9790639)
I loathe companies that change things like this without looking at the big picture. Right now, everyone involved with Hulu is making money with the ad revenue. Again, everything comes down to greed. They want to make more money because the last agreement between the SAG, and the Writer Guild took a chunk of what the networks were making.

You think they haven't considered the bigger picture? Really? This whole notion that everyone is hollywood is stupid is pretty silly. They make some moves that turn out to be bad, but that doesn't necessarily mean the alternative would have fared any better.

Maybe it's you who don't see the bigger picture? I mean I'm assuming you aren't an Hulu bigwig, so how can you know how profitable Hulu is compared to how profitable they feel it should be to continue to be worth their while? You don't. Neither do I. I'm just going to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Look, I think it should stay free. If nothing else, if it breaks even, it gives their shows continued exposure and such. But if they did decide to start charging, and the charging made sense, that wouldn't be the worse thing in the world. Hell, it would probably make the service better.

mhg83 10-22-09 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey (Post 9789935)
Had to figure that was inevitable.
When that happens, it's goodbye Hulu, hello Megavideo...

Fixed.

dx23 10-22-09 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly (Post 9790697)
You think they haven't considered the bigger picture? Really? This whole notion that everyone is hollywood is stupid is pretty silly. They make some moves that turn out to be bad, but that doesn't necessarily mean the alternative would have fared any better.

Maybe it's you who don't see the bigger picture? I mean I'm assuming you aren't an Hulu bigwig, so how can you know how profitable Hulu is compared to how profitable they feel it should be to continue to be worth their while? You don't. Neither do I. I'm just going to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Look, I think it should stay free. If nothing else, if it breaks even, it gives their shows continued exposure and such. But if they did decide to start charging, and the charging made sense, that wouldn't be the worse thing in the world. Hell, it would probably make the service better.

Economics 101: Hulu is a luxury that has many alternatives/substitutes. If the owners/partners raised the price, or simply go from not charging anything to start charging people for the product, people are going to turn to the nearest substitute and replace it. As simple as that. What makes Hulu attractive right now is the price: free. Hulu still makes money with ads that are triggered by site visits. Maybe is not as profitable as they would want, but they are running a very high risk of losing the current clientele if they start charging for viewing since there are many alternatives to get the exact same product either for free or with a better convenience.

Studios have proven time and time again that they don't look at the long term scenarios or the big picture. They are always thinking what the believe will make most money in the short term and usually, they are wrong.

boredsilly 10-23-09 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by dx23 (Post 9790760)
Economics 101: Hulu is a luxury that has many alternatives/substitutes. If the owners/partners raised the price, or simply go from not charging anything to start charging people for the product, people are going to turn to the nearest substitute and replace it. As simple as that. What makes Hulu attractive right now is the price: free.

People like Hulu because it's free, no question, but if a service is good enough some people will pay. You're obviously a huge wrestling fan, so lets look at things in those terms. There are tons of dirt sheets out there for free online, along with a lot of free podcasts and such. Yet, I pay $5.95 to be a member of pwtorch's website. Why? The product is good enough to warrant being paid for. There are tons of alternatives to that, but it is worth it to me, and quite a few others, to pay for the content that site provides. Maybe that's Econ 102? -wink-

I'm not saying your totally wrong. There is a very good chance you'll end up being right. I just think you're oversimplifying things is all.

B.A. 10-23-09 07:49 AM

Hulu was so 2008 anyway.

Charlie Goose 10-23-09 07:53 AM

I've got a good mind to ring Hulu's doorbell and run.

CaptStormy 10-23-09 08:28 AM

I have no problem if they charge for some premium content, as long as they keep the free content found on other websites free as well.

The Bus 10-23-09 08:29 AM

I'd pay. :shrug: But I've yet to see a pay model for video content that screams "good value" to me.

Tracer Bullet 10-23-09 08:32 AM

How else would everyone like them to make money?

Look, here's the problem in a nutshell.

Old model: throw up a broadcast tower and reach a huge audience for essentially free.

New model: Send video to each individual person that asks for it. This is not essentially free. This is essentially very expensive.

CaptStormy 10-23-09 08:33 AM

Keep in mind MOST shows shown on HULU are free on the network websites as well. This includes FX, USA, CW, Fox, NBC, ABC, and CBS. Hulu has only been a place for convenience since all the shows are on one place.

Wolf359 10-23-09 08:39 AM

Count me in as someone who would pay a reasonable fee as well. Not per episode certainly but a monthly fee. As someone who hasn't paid for cable tv in years, Hulu has been very nice. Its either Hulu, network websites, or that other questionable method.

Michael Corvin 10-23-09 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by CaptStormy (Post 9791563)
Keep in mind MOST shows shown on HULU are free on the network websites as well. This includes FX, USA, CW, Fox, NBC, ABC, and CBS. Hulu has only been a place for convenience since all the shows are on one place.

Also these are essentially second run. These companies got their viewers from the networks. This is like a nice bonus.

RoyalTea 10-23-09 09:09 AM

If charging for content means the library gets expanded, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Right now, I can watch the five most recent episodes of a TV show on hulu, but anything older than that is not available.

If the five most recent episodes were still free, but only premium users could access older episodes, would that be a bad thing?

Michael Corvin 10-23-09 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 9791624)
If charging for content means the library gets expanded, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Right now, I can watch the five most recent episodes of a TV show on hulu, but anything older than that is not available.

If the five most recent episodes were still free, but only premium users could access older episodes, would that be a bad thing?

Actually that sounds very reasonable. That would still keep people around that just use it to catch the random episode they may have missed, but charge for the people that solely use the service as their own netflix/cable provider.

All this talk makes me wish PlayOn or TVersity worked on the Mac(non-Intel). :sad: I'd love to go back and watch the first 7 episodes of Glee that I missed.

orangecrush 10-23-09 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 9791764)
Actually that sounds very reasonable. That would still keep people around that just use it to catch the random episode they may have missed, but charge for the people that solely use the service as their own netflix/cable provider.

All this talk makes me wish PlayOn or TVersity worked on the Mac(non-Intel). :sad: I'd love to go back and watch the first 7 episodes of Glee that I missed.

There are ways to catch up. We just can't talk about them here ;)

Bill Needle 10-23-09 03:41 PM

Hulu to Charge in 2010
Goodbye, Hulu. We hardly knew ye.

SuperJim88 10-23-09 04:07 PM

This begs the question, if everybody posted here are all saying they wouldn't pay a penny for shows available for free then who the fuck are paying for these webispodes on Itune? Clearly there got to be a pretty good market else it would have folded long ago, but it's still going strong!!

pridesticks06 10-23-09 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey (Post 9789935)
Had to figure that was inevitable.
When that happens, it's goodbye Hulu, hello torrent...

You know, how does someone "want to fight piracy" by wanting to charge for content? Newsflash: these shows are free on tv. And the cable ones can be found for free online if you look in the right places. Hulu isn't going to do any better charging a premium on even cable shows. Many people will go elsewhere.

To SuperJim88 -

I think the iTunes market and hulu market are pretty different. People who are buying shows on iTunes keep that episode and nowadays can get them on their ipod and watch them on the go AND get it in a nice HD for the house. With hulu you can't put it on the ipod (that I know of) and the market is not for those wanting to keep their shows, just to view them. And to me, hulu's quality can often be disappointing. I hardly ever use it for tv anymore.

Just my .02

Jimmy James 10-23-09 05:38 PM

I'd put the over/under for this personally at $5 a month or $50 for a year. At that price (and with what I would assume would be some expanded availability of content), I could justify paying. Of course, that's dependent on what my cable company does with pricing on its bandwidth (they're trying the 5GB a month that seems so popular at the moment).

Jedi Master 33 10-24-09 12:56 AM

Bye bye Hulu, you were fun while you lasted.

Giantrobo 10-24-09 02:16 AM

My main reason for Hulu is I have no DVR.

DJariya 10-24-09 02:32 AM

Hulu appears to be retracting their statement a little bit from the story in my OP.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/content_...7ec2213e0a054b

Hulu has shot down reports that it planned to start charging users, at least for the majority of its content.

News Corp. deputy chairman Chase Carey was quoted at a conference today saying the video service would be charging users in 2010, though "some" content would remain free. News Corp. is a part owner of Hulu.

"I think a free model is a very difficult way to capture the value of our content. I think what we need to do is deliver that content to consumers in a way where they will appreciate the value," Carey was quoted as saying by Broadcasting & Cable.

A Hulu rep said the company's strategy of offering high-quality content supported by advertising remains unchanged, while leaving the door open to adding paid content.

"Hulu's mission has always been to help people find and enjoy the world's premium, professionally produced content," the rep said. "We continue to believe that the ad-supported free service is the one that resonates with the largest group of users and any possible new business models would serve to complement our existing offering. There are no details or time lines to share regarding our future product road map."

Giantrobo 10-25-09 03:25 AM

Off topic a bit but does anyone here have an actual Hulu account? Is there any advantage to having one?