Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

My buy.com dilemma

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

My buy.com dilemma

Old 03-22-01, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I placed an order using one of their $10 off $100 coupons WAAAAAAYYYYY back in early October. All but two of the movies shipped months ago. The two movies I'm still waiting on, Mario Bava's Blood and Black Lace and Bava's Whip and the Body, were released 12/10. A few weeks after release date I e-mailed Buy's customer service about the hold up, and was assured the movies would be coming in soon, and it was just a hold up with the distributor. A few more weeks passed and I e-mailed again. This time I was told the manufacterer of the discs (Image I think) didn't produce enough and I'd have to wait on the 2nd pressing. Fine, no biggie.

Then last Monday I noticed Buy's page had both movies listed as "shipping in 24-48 hours." Finally I thought I would be getting my movies. Well by Friday when I hadn't gotten a shipping notice, I e-mailed them again and they told me the flicks were still backordered. I pointed out the website has them listed as in stock and shipping, but they assured me that wasn't the case, and since the movies had been backordered for over 60 days they were cancelling the order!

I checked around and found both movies in stock at Samgoody, ordered them 2 days ago, and already got shipping notice this morning.

My question is, even though Buy told me they were cancelling the order, the order is still listed on my order status. So, should I trust they'll cancel it themselves, or do I "request a cancel" from the order page? and if I do cancel it myself, will they go back and charge me an extra $10 for the coupon I used, since the order would then be below $100?

Any comments would be appricated.

(You know, I've been on this forum for over 2 years and this is the longest message I've ever typed.)

-Jason
Old 03-22-01, 02:19 PM

Go ahead and cancel to protect yourself. As for the $10 coupon, don't worry about it, buy has never asked for the coupon back from me or anyone here as far as I know.
Old 03-22-01, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would cancel but if they have the items they will probably ship them then. I waited and waited for some titles they never got in and I finally canceled and they never said anything about the coupon I used on the order.
Old 03-22-01, 04:00 PM

Thanks guys. I'll go ahead and cancel the order then.

-Jason
Old 03-22-01, 04:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let us know how long after you get the shipping notice I've found the best way to get Buy.com to ship long overdue items is to cancel the order It's worked on all but 1 occasion.
Old 03-22-01, 06:35 PM
Cool New Member

It seems when I try to cancel a order at Buy.com they punish me and won't ship the dvd for weeks and still refuse to cancel.
Old 03-23-01, 12:29 AM

The xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx from your order number xxxxxxx has been on backorder for over 60 days and our suppliers are still unable to fill your order at this time. Unfortunately, we are required to cancel orders that have been backordered this long because we are unsure as to when they will be filled. Please know that you will not be charged for this item. We apologize for this inconvenience.
Please write again if you have any other questions or concerns.

We look forward to serving you in the near future!

buy.com
the internet superstore

Dear Sir:
This is not back ordered it is a preorder and the reason it is over 60 days is that there was a delay by Pioneer. Not yourself, please reactivate as a lost shipment and send when you have the stock in please.

Thank you.

Hello xxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for contacting us at buy.com, the internet superstore.

We have searched our database, and we do not carry Dual-Artifacts V03,Irresponsible Captain Tylor TV Collection Box Set at this time. However, we are constantly updating our product line, so please check our web site for this product to become available in the future.

buy.com
the internet superstore

A further telephone followup was made and the response was tough with the suggestion to order at the new much higher price. Of course all the prices had jumped by 25%.

Old 03-23-01, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My last DVD order with buy.com was 3x3 Eyes which I placed in late October. They hadn't shipped it for several weeks after the street date so I cancelled it and ordered it from somewhere else. Needless to say they shipped it two weeks after "cancellation requested" appeared as the status. Now, when I sent the unopened DVD back I was only credited $24.99 for a $44.99 disc. The reasoning the email form-reply used was that my $20 off $100 coupon was not invalid thanks to their piss-poor inventory system.

I called their 1-800 number (which will go out of service at the end of March btw) and asked why I was only credited $24.99. The CSR could find no reason and submitted for the other $20 back. I figure I'll give it a week or two to process. If it fails I'll go ahead and dispute it with my credit card company. Either way, it's the last order I'm placing with buy.com
Old 03-23-01, 02:12 AM

The odd thing about that was I ordered 3 x 3 Eyes as well and I sent them a reminder email and it shipped to my immense surprise at the old price. It shipped on the new release date which was four months after the order had been made. I also used the 20.00 off coupon for that one. The order had been made way back in October and I thought I would get the same email and held off ordering it from Suncoast till the following day. I then looked at the account status and it showed it had shipped.

For the previous 3 or 4 months whenever I had not sent them a "reminder" Buy never shipped the preorders even though I would order 45 days in advance. After I started sending them reminders I never missed one. Till recently, I just wait till it shows instock and then try to cancel and see if Tylor ships.
Old 03-23-01, 08:12 AM
Cool New Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dvdnutty
[B]The xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx from your order number xxxxxxx has been on backorder for over 60 days and our suppliers are still unable to fill your order at this time. Unfortunately, we are required to cancel orders that have been backordered this long because we are unsure as to when they will be filled. Please know that you will not be charged for this item. We apologize for this inconvenience.

buy.com
the internet superstore

Dear Sir:
This is not back ordered it is a preorder and the reason it is over 60 days is that there was a delay by Pioneer. Not yourself, please reactivate as a lost shipment and send when you have the stock in please.

Thank you.

Hello xxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for contacting us at buy.com, the internet superstore.

We have searched our database, and we do not carry Dual-Artifacts V03,Irresponsible Captain Tylor TV Collection Box Set at this time. However, we are constantly updating our product line, so please check our web site for this product to become available in the future.

buy.com
the internet superstore

A further telephone followup was made and the response was tough with the suggestion to order at the new much higher price. Of course all the prices had jumped by 25%.

Hey I have the same orders on backorder and got the same response you got they refused to cancel either order. So now am screwed and can't buy them elsewhere. I hate Buy.com!!! I feel like am being held hostage.
Old 03-23-01, 04:09 PM

And I thought it was just the anime DVD's doing this. I have ordered 7 anime DVD's and they were all put "on order". I have seen all of these titles at the Suncoast in the mall. I tried to cancel those orders but recieved an e-mail stating it was too late to cancel them because they have entered the shipping process. How in the h*ll can they be in the shipping process when they are on order??
buy.com