DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Which Online stores now DON'T SUCK ? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/92503-online-stores-now-dont-suck.html)

Original Desmond 03-20-01 02:23 AM

not many left hey

Fhrx 03-20-01 06:29 AM

Amen brother, sadly, amen. :mad:

jellis 03-20-01 08:20 AM

I don't know, both Amazon and TWEC still have treated me right. No problems with either of them.

exm 03-20-01 08:29 AM

The only prob with Amazon is that they changed their European carrier. Besides that I still like them and used them as my prefered reseller.

POWERBOMB 03-20-01 09:16 AM

I like using Amazon, Barnes & Noble and 5 Star. I also enjoy Ebay. All of the above have been good to me. My friends also have had success w/ Target, Best Buy and Sears.

matchpenalty 03-20-01 09:34 AM

Originally posted by jellis
I don't know, both Amazon and TWEC still have treated me right. No problems with either of them.
I can say the same though I am relatively new to TWEC.

Bobubott 03-20-01 07:40 PM

The only one I still like is 800.com... fair prices and great customer service.

I used to like Amazon, but they've since raised raised their prices, and I can't stand how they shamelessly track all of your buying habits and try to recommend a bunch of crap to you.

Fhrx 03-20-01 10:26 PM

The biggest problem is that they all charge stupid amounts for overseas shipping and never give their overseas customers rewards such as coupons.

exm 03-21-01 07:07 AM

Originally posted by Fhrx
The biggest problem is that they all charge stupid amounts for overseas shipping and never give their overseas customers rewards such as coupons.
I agree on the shipping charges but I still think Amazon is reasonable. Coupons? How about HP, Intel, Refer-a-Friend, $5 off $35 or minus 10%?

:)

MrBEAViS 03-21-01 07:15 AM

How about the fact that orders from Amazon.com don't get to you until a week after release date?

Are DVD Empire or DVD Planet very good?

jfoobar 03-21-01 09:08 AM

DVDEmpire gets about 95% of my online business and has for many months. Needless to say, I am very happy with them.

stingo 03-21-01 12:01 PM

I've used Amazon, buy, express, TWEC, and Deep Discount DVD, all without major problems.

Tuan Jim 03-21-01 12:19 PM

http://www.bestprices.com is great, but i guess it won't work for you overseas folks ;p

awesome prices for stuff.

Tuan Jim

darkside 03-21-01 01:37 PM

I used TWEC with the 25% off and have been happy, but without a discount their prices are usually to high.

DVD Empire is getting much of my business for 30% and some 35% off DVDs. However some of their DVDs like Hidden Fortress are only 20% off.

Amazon still has good service and eventually may get all of my business. That is if they keep all preorders at 30% off.

800.com is off my list because most of their prices are a little higher than the competition and they ship media mail which really sucks. It took two weeks to get my Agatha Christie DVDs.

So I would say its now between DVD Empire (where I just placed a $150 order) and Amazon (where I just ordered Hidden Fortress).

Thats about it, but I plan on trying the bestprices site recommended above.

Rainman15 03-22-01 07:20 AM

I have had positive experiencce with DeepDiscount DVD, DVD Empire and recently TWEC with the 25% coupon on two pre-orders:)

Low RG 03-22-01 10:22 AM

Originally posted by JustinS
DVDEmpire gets about 95% of my online business and has for many months. Needless to say, I am very happy with them.
Same here! Pre-order manager is top notch, pre-orders usually ship Friday before release date & best of all: NO SALES TAX for California residents!!

<b><font size=+1 color=green>DVD Empire is #1</font>

<center>

Wolfchild 03-22-01 12:07 PM

Usually I use Amazon 90% of the time for preorders, just because of the customer service level and the extent to which I'm able to alter orders or cancel items online. In these times of no coupons, reliability is the most important thing to me.

TWEC seems okay, but I don't entirely trust their billing and customer service, maybe they're just experiencing growing pains though.

Other than Amazon, I'd say that DVD Empire, DVD Planet, and Digital Eyes all seem like very good outfits to order from. Sure there isn't the massive discounts and coupons, but they seem like stores you can trust. Digital Eyes, and both of those others, seems to have great prices on catalog titles, especially Criterions.

Original Desmond 03-26-01 01:44 AM

what is TWEC ?

POWERBOMB 03-27-01 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Desmondp
what is TWEC ?
Here is the answer stright from their website:

What the heck is twec.com - The Web's Entertainment Center?

twec.com – The Web's Entertainment Center is the online hub for the entertainment industry's leading retail stores – Camelot Music, Coconuts Music & Movies, FYE (For Your Entertainment), Planet Music, Record Town, Saturday Matinee, Spec’s Music, Strawberries, The Wall, and Waxie Maxie's.

The site features all the music CDs and cassettes, VHS home video, DVD, and video games that the stores do, and a whole lot more! twec.com is home to "On Stage", a series featuring live events, such as online chats, in-store artist appearances, in-studio performances, and downloadable, on-demand entertainment media.

Trans World Entertainment and twec.com – The Web’s Entertainment Center are located at 38 Corporate Circle, Albany, NY 12203

Visit them at http://www.twec.com

dvds4all 03-27-01 07:08 PM

Buy.com was the place, but of course thier un-godly price AND shipping increases scared not only myself but droves of others away. They still ship early (got a Red Planet on Saturday) but down right refuse to cancel orders (the reason I got Red Planet on Saturday).

As of late I have been using DVD Empire, very decent pricing structure. They ship on Fridays prior to release on pre-orders. Got mine today, release day:) Haven't had the pleasure of dealing with thier customer service department though, which I guess is a plus. The pre-order mngr DOES rock. Very good e-business with the fantastic pre-order mngr tool.

Although I use them less often than Empire, TWEC is a very good place to buy as well. No experience on pre-orders, but the prices, along with coupons, on released items is damn good.

IMHO

Mike Myers 03-28-01 11:56 AM

I never had problems with Amazon.com. It seems that I'm the only one to say this, but it's true. They ship very fast (about 2-4 days), and I got every preorder until the end of the release week. OK, I know that some stores ship the Friday before release, but folks, why can't you wait a few days??? Every alternative I tried was far below Amazon's service level, so for me it's just the only place to buy.

MrBEAViS 03-28-01 04:46 PM

Amazon.com doesn't exactly have great prices and there shipping is god awful. [CANCELED]

Buy.com is doing terrible, have bad customer service, bad prices, and more backordered items then available ones. [CANCELED]

Express.com just has an empty warehouse. [CANCELED]

I recently used DVD Empire for the first time. Two days after I ordered, I received my shipment. Good prices and great service. They're the one to go with!

renaldow 03-28-01 05:01 PM

Originally posted by Mike Myers
I never had problems with Amazon.com. It seems that I'm the only one to say this, but it's true. They ship very fast (about 2-4 days), and I got every preorder until the end of the release week. OK, I know that some stores ship the Friday before release, but folks, why can't you wait a few days??? Every alternative I tried was far below Amazon's service level, so for me it's just the only place to buy.
I've always had good consistent service from both Amazon and B&N. I'll never hesitate to order something from them if the price is right. I don't do a lot of DVD's through them (I go for price, so I wouldn't say there was 1 retailer I go to for DVD's) but I use them both a lot for books.

Yes, I said books. B-O-O-K-S. Those papery things that don't fit in the slot, you remember them, right? :)

stolenrays 03-28-01 06:27 PM

do you guys think that all of this coupon misuse stuff led to the demise of some of those e-tailers?

sracer 03-29-01 11:59 PM

Two enthusiastic thumbs up to....

...<font size=+1><b>BESTPRICES.COM</b></font>

Not only are their prices excellent, but they ship items very quickly. (well, compared to Amazon) I am very impressed with the (first of many) order I placed with them...