Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Buy.Com The good times are over

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Buy.Com The good times are over

Old 03-17-01, 08:22 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is too bad, but first the coupons disappeared, then the 40% off pre-orders, now? Well most prices have increased even on pre-orders. The prices are now only 15 to 20% off many titles with some pre-orders at 30 to 33% at most. Shipping has been increased to $2.25 a disk and as of April 1 they will no longer offer live customer service, only e-mail service. I realize that most e-stores are having difficulty making a profit selling DVD's, but how can Buy.Com and the other etailers continue to sell DVD's if their prices with shipping included are higher than most B@M stores? I understand that it is just a matter of time until Big Star and Express.Com close their doors. Well I guess I'm lucky that I at least caught the end of the coupon days.
Old 03-17-01, 09:36 PM

Sandy,

How can department stores sell stuff at huge markups that can be readily obtained elsewhere? By selling to people too lazy to look around for a deal.

Buy is probably hoping for the same thing online with DVDs. Will it work? I doubt it.
Old 03-17-01, 11:35 PM

Their customer service has gone to h**l in a handbasket too. They've discontinued phone service and now they make you use e-mail. On previous occasions they have retrospectively honored free shipping deals if you placed an order a day or two before the offer came into effect. Not any more! I ordered a couple of items this week before the free shipping on computer items but they won't refund the shipping this time. They must be really hurting for $6.45 that they are willing to p*ss off folks like me that have spent thousnands with them in the past. I'll shop elsewhere in future.
Old 03-18-01, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So have they done away with all their coupons then?
Old 03-18-01, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is suck! I better order all those rare titles Best Buy will never have...
Old 03-18-01, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thing is, even with all the coupons, free shipping etc - they didn't have enough volume to make up the difference from their lower prices. So they take those away and their customers complain especially the ones that spend/have spent an awful lot of money there. I'd imagine there just weren't sufficient numbers for them to keep going. Now it seems they are trying to cut costs to stay afloat (which of course makes their existing customers angrier). Seems like a no-win situation to me.
Old 03-18-01, 12:39 PM

studies

stingo,

In the years to come, Buy.com and many other dot.coms will be studied by MBA students in lectures titled, "How Not To Run a Business 101".
Old 03-18-01, 02:43 PM

They don't want us anyway!

Clearly, I think it is obvious that Buy.com is trying to get rid of customers like us in favor of selling DVD's profitably to those who don't care about price. There are plenty of wealthy folk who just don't care. I run into them at Sam Goody and Suncoast B&M all the time. I'm sure there are some online customers who are exactly the same. Instead of volume, Buy.com is probably going for a "per unit" profit model. Furthermore, if they don't carry their own inventory, it makes little difference to them. Remember when there were all those rumors that Buy.com was going to eliminate the selling of DVD's? Their current pricing move is almost the same thing.

I'm convinced that the worst thing an etailer can do is worry about how those of us who post at DVDTalk react to their business plans. We will be profitable for no one! That's my pledge!

Buy.com
Old 03-19-01, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: They don't want us anyway!

Originally posted by Hal2000
Clearly, I think it is obvious that Buy.com is trying to get rid of customers like us in favor of selling DVD's profitably to those who don't care about price. There are plenty of wealthy folk who just don't care. I run into them at Sam Goody and Suncoast B&M all the time. I'm sure there are some online customers who are exactly the same. Instead of volume, Buy.com is probably going for a "per unit" profit model. Furthermore, if they don't carry their own inventory, it makes little difference to them. Remember when there were all those rumors that Buy.com was going to eliminate the selling of DVD's? Their current pricing move is almost the same thing.

I'm convinced that the worst thing an etailer can do is worry about how those of us who post at DVDTalk react to their business plans. We will be profitable for no one! That's my pledge!

Buy.com
I dont want to sound pessimistic, but perhaps its bargain hunters like us who is putting dot.coms out of busienss, while the B & M stores cater to the "average joe six pack" who doesnt mind five off retail, so they make a profit, but the bargain hunters has proven time and time again they only go where there is bargain.

I always wondered, now that there is NO MORE COUPONS, and with Buy and Amazon not doing good,andf express near death, where are you guys going to shop at? Or just stop buying DVD all together?
Old 03-19-01, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Re: They don't want us anyway!

Originally posted by salamander2
Originally posted by Hal2000

Buy.com
I dont want to sound pessimistic, but perhaps its bargain hunters like us who is putting dot.coms out of busienss, while the B & M stores cater to the "average joe six pack" who doesnt mind five off retail, so they make a profit, but the bargain hunters has proven time and time again they only go where there is bargain.

I always wondered, now that there is NO MORE COUPONS, and with Buy and Amazon not doing good,andf express near death, where are you guys going to shop at? Or just stop buying DVD all together?
This is a problem. If these stores go out of business, then, we are forced to shop at B&Ms. There are hundreds of DVDs that places like Best Buy just don't have in stock. It'll take weeks for new releases to show up, and some won't come in at all.

[Edited by MrBEAViS on 03-19-01 at 05:18 AM]
Old 03-19-01, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the niche dvds will be available at a niche online company for close to full retail i bet. if they have no competition why not where are you going to go to get smaller releases. the major releases will still be run as loss leaders at B&M stores to draw customers.

Old 03-19-01, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All I can say is.....I use to have monthly preorders awaiting shipment from Buy.com!!! Well, just received the last of my preorders from them this month......an order placed in January for PS2 games via the $30 off $150 coupon.....they have completely lost my business!!! I could understand cutting back on the coupons or completely eliminating them altogether.....but what about the drastic price increases??? Talk about a way to lose your customer base....man, the prices they are charging plus shipping...one might as well shop local!!! I believe Buy.com will be closed by the end of the year......
Old 03-19-01, 12:29 PM

Bottom line, the logistics of running a B&M store versus an online store are just different. Places like Best Buy and Circuit City can sell things at higher prices normally because, well people will stop in to get other things. New releases are now cheaper at most B&M stores the week of release than they are at online stores once shipping is added in. Places like Best Buy can offer DVD's at a discount the first week that they are released because the item will become a loss-leader, luring customers in for those sale DVD's, with many of the shopper walking out with another non-sale DVD, or a CD, or a TV or something that is priced WAY above cost -- they can do that because of the convience factor. Online shoppers will not go out of their way to purchase other items at full price, if they are only using the store for a good deal or pre-order on a product. With all the dot-coms going out of business and restructuring, I'm happy I was able to order from them as often as I did. This time last year, I would get three or four packages in from various places every Tuesday...now because my employee discount at Best Buy is lower than online prices with shipping, I only order specialty or harder to find discs. It's sad really.
Old 03-19-01, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gcribbs
the niche dvds will be available at a niche online company for close to full retail i bet...
This is, I believe, the future of on-line DVD retail. A few companies will sell DVDs for a little discount (roughly the same price as B&Ms), and other companies will have those hard to find titles (at close to retail). People will stop buying as many DVDs and start renting, the same as they have rented videos since the mid 80s.
Old 03-20-01, 02:46 PM

The days of many coupons are over....But honestly deep down you had to know it would happen.

It only takes have a brain to figure out that you are gonna lose money when you sell items at cost and offer 30 off of 150 coupons like buy.com.

If someone made a business proposition to you and said you could be part owner and to spark business you would do the coupon thing....Cmon no way you would take up that deal.

Thing is the only way these stores could get a cutomer base is with coupons....Take them away and people go somewhere else.

The online market has hardly any store loyalty like you might have with B&M.

Point is this....Its sad that most deals are over but it had to happen sometime. Dont fret though I am willing to bet that someone will open up a big online reatiler again....This time hopefully with a better business model. This would probably happen if Amazon and Buy went under....Someone would want to take a big market share.
Old 03-20-01, 05:40 PM

Where am I going to buy DVD's?

I will continue to switch loyalties as long as somone offers a promotion. Right now, I'm at CDNow and TWEC, and occasionally Amazon. For some reason I get a lot of Vividence tests, so I get four or five GC's each year.

Furthermore, my priceline has never been as low as most individuals, since I set my standard at $15 maximum, which includes shipping. With cheaper titles, such as MGM oldies, I set my limit at $12.

Nearly everything I purchase is a pre-order, which helps reduce cost sometimes.

I have hundreds of DVD's I haven't opened, waiting for the day the dot.coms are finished being price sensitive.

Finally, my in-laws bizarrely dump Sam Goody gift cards on us every time we see them. They like watching movies at our house, so that's their system. For me, I am fortunate, because I can live off DVD welfare. I hold those cards for a rainy day.

About stores going out of business...I believe that there will be high-priced survivors who will offer the titles B&M's don't have. TWEC and Sam Goody will survive, they will discontinue coupons when the competition is weeded out, and we will have to pay B&M prices. Amazon probably will survive simply with it's ability to outlast the others. Their prices will go up, too.

We are not the problem. The problem belongs directly in the lap of business planners who never realized that it is much more difficult to build customer loyalty online than with a B&M. Why have loyalty when the next guy is constantly tryin to offer you a better deal?

That's why Buy.com actually may survive. If they quit playing the promotions game, and stick with premium pricing, they will adjust their model to a realistic sales volume and margin level, much more profitable.

Okay, I'll get off the soap box.
Old 03-20-01, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The schmucks who shop at Suncoast feel like they are getting a bargain at the current prices BUY is offering. I suppose that is their target audience.

Fortunately, this large collective of information called DVDTalk allows us to know where the best deals are.
Old 03-20-01, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is the Email I got back from Buy.com about them double charging me. Damn, if they only gave me back the money for ALL my bad orders with them..... I would have a big amount!!!!

Dear Ernest,

Thank you for shopping at buy.com.

We guarantee your satisfaction with our high quality products
and customer support. Since your experience with order #**********
did not live up to our high standards, we have issued you a credit in
the amount of $106.03.

Please allow 3-5 days for your bank to apply this credit to
your account.