Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Does anybody around here care that Sam Goody.com's prices have skyrocketed?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Does anybody around here care that Sam Goody.com's prices have skyrocketed?

Old 03-16-01, 12:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't seem so.

I've been e-mailing and calling Sam Goody about this to no avail. They simply will not comment on this awful development. One lady even went so far as to say about the price increases, "No they didn't."

I have gift cards to use, but their new prices + shipping is over retail!

Can we harass them for my sake?
Old 03-16-01, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well to tell you the truth; no I dont care. They never had good prices, and their stores are just as awful. Anyway, you should post this in the store forum my friend. Have fun.
Old 03-16-01, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I did until I just went to their B&M and pre-ordered a couple of box sets since I had a few gift cards left over from family members.

I've emailed them too, but their responses vary from representative to the next.

Edit: I was just at Woodfield Mall and the Suncoast store there is now closed....

[Edited by Sparrow on 03-18-01 at 01:30 PM]
Old 03-16-01, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yep. I noticed a few days ago that they had new releases listed as $17.49 on their site, but when you clicked the link, the price was $22.49. gotta love dynamic pricing.

just wait it out and sit on them GCs. sorta like nasdaq.
Old 03-16-01, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I stopped really looking at them when they stopped offering 20% off for using a gift card. I suppose they were losing money on those sales but those were really the only ones I'd consider within my target price range. Now unless they've got stock of an OOP disc that I want I don't bother visiting the site.
Old 03-16-01, 11:57 AM

man I just got $105 giftcard for returning jamesbond set from 800, but all their damn dvds are waay overpriced. I guess i'll have to wait for a sale or something.
Old 03-16-01, 12:08 PM

Its been like this since Monday. Their prices went down for many items and then shot way up.
Old 03-16-01, 12:20 PM
Banned

The prices have never fluctuated this wildly before.
Old 03-16-01, 02:32 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Reminds me of airlines pricing
Old 03-16-01, 10:17 PM

i'm also sitting on QUITE a lot of gift card credit , and have used them exclusively for my pre-orders for a couple of years now. their prices were never jaw-droppingly low, but my method of payment numbed the sting. and the 20% off gift card sales were great. but their prices have NEVER increased the way that have the past week. as said before, with shipping added, the internet prices are as much OR MORE than the price the item will most likely be when the title is released to stores--even with sales tax figured in. oh well, the days of breathlessly running to the mailbox are over for me. i'll just use the gift cards in their brick-and-mortar stores...

i wonder if the Best Buy accquisition of The Musicland Group (incl. Sam Goody's, Suncoast, Media Play, etc.) figures into the price increases??
Old 03-16-01, 10:21 PM

Big changes coming to the MLG Group.

As you all are no doubt aware, Sam and all of his friends (Suncoast, Media Play, On Cue) were purchased by Best Buy. I spoke to a store manager who stated that their mall stores will likely become outlets for Best Buy's small electronics. I'm hoping (probably against all odds) that these changes may result in reciprocity between the two stores, like being able to use an MLG gift card at a Best Buy B&M. Anyway, the manager said that we won't recognize Sam Goody by the end of the year!

I have a stack of gift cards...think I'll just sit on 'em!

Sam Goody
Old 03-18-01, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To buy DVD's there and ship them down here, you wanna be on only $100,000 a year or so.

They never have had good prices.