Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

HELP! I've Become Blockbusters *****!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

HELP! I've Become Blockbusters *****!

Old 03-11-01, 09:16 PM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 270
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lodger_001 quoted:
__________________________________________________________
i almost did that 30 dvds in 30 days for $19.xx deal. Then i found out that you have to rent 1 dvd per day for 30 days. too much trouble. their 'rewards' program was better for me. for every new release you rent you get a free 5 day title. only works on monday-wed though
----------------------------------------------------------

I did that.. I actually rented all 30 DVD's.. Blockbuster was my 2nd home for the whole month..

I believe my card is still valid... I asked them when it was expiring and they didn't even have a date.. So Im figuring unlimited rental.. if they dont know about it.

heh it's worth a shot...

I'll try renting one with it and tell ya guys how it goes.. if it works until now.. Im set for all the new releases..
Old 03-20-01, 09:48 AM
  #27  
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Galveston, TX, USA
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm currently on day 13 of the 30 day deal. I figure you break even at 6 rentals for the 30 days so anything after that is free. If you get all 30, you save $100. Yesterday was my first day to get a 5 day rental. I'm also running out of things I want to watch. I'm glad to hear there's at least one person who went 30 days in a row. Are there others?
Old 03-20-01, 12:41 PM
  #28  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 87
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went 32 days in a row. I bought the card on jan. 3rd and it expired on feb. 3rd which turned out to be 32 days and therefore 32 rentals. The blockbuster is pretty close to my house and it was winter break so it was easy to go there.

For the original poster, it is not the company's fault you can't return a movie on time. I don't understand how people get huge late fees when you are told exactly when the movie is due by. Just be responsible or don't rent movies if you can't handle it. Don't whine about your own mistake and try to blame the company.
Old 03-20-01, 08:43 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 270
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by adazam10
For the original poster, it is not the company's fault you can't return a movie on time. I don't understand how people get huge late fees when you are told exactly when the movie is due by. Just be responsible or don't rent movies if you can't handle it. Don't whine about your own mistake and try to blame the company.
I have to agree with him.. even on the doors I believe they have a date thing where it tells you when it's due..

when you rent on a certain day if you look at the chart.. you know specifically when....

I've never had a late charge on a video yet..
they tried to charge me because they didn't check in my dvd from the return box.. but they solved that immediately..

Overall the 19.99 30dvd rental is a pretty good deal.. but it's only worth it if you are on a vacation or something.. since it tends to become a hassel when you try to rent one everyday.

BTW... the blockbuster people know me well now as I have been in 30 days straight
Old 03-20-01, 08:53 PM
  #30  
Moderator
 
nemein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: 1bit away from total disaster
Posts: 34,196
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is why I actually decided to stay w/ Netflix. I don't live close enough to a BB to make this use it/lose it scheme worth while. Not to mention it's easier just to drop the DVDs in the mail JMO
Old 03-21-01, 03:17 AM
  #31  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,534
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, i can't believe the kind of attacks against people who might drop off a movie late to BB on this thread! Jesus, some of us have other lives - we don't sit next to our calendar crossing off the days until the golden DATE DUE arrives & it's time to drop the movie off at Blockbuster. It is nice they give you a receipt w/ the due date on it (which i don't think they used to) but along with it I usually get a total of 5 (FIVE) different 'receipts' -- Pizza hut ads, coupons for video game rentals, DirecTV sales pitches, etc etc. Perhaps unlike the rest of you, I don't come home and frame the receipts in a picture frame mounted above the tv to keep track of the due date. I throw the wad of wasted paper in the recycling.

I've been charged late fees 3 times at BB over 10 years or so. 2 of them were not my fault. The first one I turned the movie in at 11 pm (when they used to be due at midnight). Next time i went in, i had a late charge (movie wasn't checked in until 1 pm the next day!!!!). They quickly removed the charge, but said I should 'make sure i hand the movie to a live person instead of putting it in the slot'. I laughed and said, 'it isn't my responsibility - your slot says 'drop movie off by midnight'. Whatever you guys do with it is your problem'.

The next time, I dropped it off at 10:20 am (when it was due at noon). Same thing, it wasn't checked in for hours. Yet, this time, I was literally called a liar by the MANAGER of the store, and told that he would remove the late charge 'this once', but he'd put a note on my account for other employees to no longer remove any late charges for me in the future. After 10 minutes of heated arguing, I made him credit the late charge, and NOT put the 'no credits in future' stipulation on my account. That was the last time i went to THAT blockbuster!

I also think some of you are missing the point - most of the new releases aren't '5 evening' - they are '2 evening'. That wordage is misleading, since they don't count real days like Hollywood Video does. So, before they extended it 12 hours, you'd rent a movie on Friday and it'd be due on Saturday. That doesn't sound like 2 days to most people. I couldn't care less what signs, receipts, or likewise they give you -- what bothers me is that i feel they are DECEPTIVE. Unlike every other person/store/calendar on the planet, they count the current day when counting days. That is purposely misleading, and I think they did it on purpose, but caught so much flak for it they changed it to noon the 'next day'.


[Edited by Pasolini on 03-21-01 at 01:23 AM]
Old 03-21-01, 11:06 AM
  #32  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 7,386
Received 142 Likes on 78 Posts
See my sig...
Old 03-21-01, 11:41 AM
  #33  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 77
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Pasolini
The next time, I dropped it off at 10:20 am (when it was due at noon). Same thing, it wasn't checked in for hours. Yet, this time, I was literally called a liar by the MANAGER of the store, and told that he would remove the late charge 'this once', but he'd put a note on my account for other employees to no longer remove any late charges for me in the future. After 10 minutes of heated arguing, I made him credit the late charge, and NOT put the 'no credits in future' stipulation on my account. That was the last time i went to THAT blockbuster!

I also think some of you are missing the point - most of the new releases aren't '5 evening' - they are '2 evening'. That wordage is misleading, since they don't count real days like Hollywood Video does. So, before they extended it 12 hours, you'd rent a movie on Friday and it'd be due on Saturday. That doesn't sound like 2 days to most people. I couldn't care less what signs, receipts, or likewise they give you -- what bothers me is that i feel they are DECEPTIVE. Unlike every other person/store/calendar on the planet, they count the current day when counting days. That is purposely misleading, and I think they did it on purpose, but caught so much flak for it they changed it to noon the 'next day'.
I think that if you get bad service you should vote with your feet, but I don't understand how you can call their return policy deceptive if you have been using them for years. For a new customer it may be confusing, but a long time customer should know how to determine the due date (which you appear to be able to). I have had one late fee in the last several years. It was because they had moved a two day rental to the 5 day section, but they didn't change it in the computer. They gave me back the fee without a problem.
Old 03-21-01, 11:46 AM
  #34  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 77
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by adazam10
I went 32 days in a row. I bought the card on jan. 3rd and it expired on feb. 3rd which turned out to be 32 days and therefore 32 rentals. The blockbuster is pretty close to my house and it was winter break so it was easy to go there.
I went 32 days also. It gave me a chance to see a lot of movies that I wanted to see, but not bad enough to pay full price. I liked a couple of them so much that I ended up buying them. If the program is still on this summer I will do it again.
Old 03-21-01, 05:06 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,324
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by keithrd
I went 32 days also. It gave me a chance to see a lot of movies that I wanted to see, but not bad enough to pay full price. I liked a couple of them so much that I ended up buying them. If the program is still on this summer I will do it again.
It amazes me that your Blockbuster has 32 movies on DVD to rent. I'm sure mine comes close, but I'd probably have to watch Cat People or Cannonball Run 3 times each.
Old 03-21-01, 10:18 PM
  #36  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 77
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[i]
It amazes me that your Blockbuster has 32 movies on DVD to rent. I'm sure mine comes close, but I'd probably have to watch Cat People or Cannonball Run 3 times each. [/B]
I guess I am just lucky. The DVDs at my blockbuster take up the whole back wall.
Old 03-22-01, 12:28 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,324
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by keithrd
[i]
It amazes me that your Blockbuster has 32 movies on DVD to rent. I'm sure mine comes close, but I'd probably have to watch Cat People or Cannonball Run 3 times each.
I guess I am just lucky. The DVDs at my blockbuster take up the whole back wall. [/B]
There are 2 Blockbusters near my house. 1 is huge, and has a lousy DVD section. It's in the corner, and they obviously don't care about it since the new releases are mixed with catalog titles, cases are all over the place in no discernable order, many cases are away from the actual DVD, etc... They may have more than 32, but trying to look for just one is like trying to scrounge through a KMart bargain bin during inventory season.

The other one is about half the size, but devotes a lot more floor space to DVD's. Unfortunately, most of it is old catalog titles of the $9.99 special variety, very few new releases, and many other types of "filler" DVD's. I'd guess they do that so they can say they have a lot or something, even though they really don't.
Old 03-22-01, 01:39 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun
Posts: 3,701
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And to think I just saw an ad the other day proclaiming "Blockbuster: Your DVD headquarters"

I don't think so.
Old 03-26-01, 02:39 AM
  #39  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 7,337
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The three Blockbusters near me all tell you the date and time the movies are due back.
Old 03-26-01, 09:12 PM
  #40  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 45
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Movie_Man
And to think I just saw an ad the other day proclaiming "Blockbuster: Your DVD headquarters"

I don't think so.
And that's the reason I don't go to Blockbuster anymore. Very little selection on DVDs and renting taps from Blockbuster is just way too expensive compare to other video rental near me.
Old 04-05-01, 11:26 PM
  #41  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Shermer, IL
Posts: 706
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand and admit that problems can and do occur with any company. Blockbuster is no exception. They do however literally bang you over the head with the due date and time. It is listed on a receipt, given verbally, posted on the door as you leave, and if all else fails, it is on the back of the tape.

Also Blockbuster does not begin charging late fees at 12:01. There is a 2 hour grace period in which tapes can be returned and still not be charged late fees.

I am sorry that people out there who are intelligent and have legitimate problems have to deal with this babying. In my experience more people than not are not as honest as they could be. I have even been called a lier and worse by customers.

In any case, please be patient with the employees. All that they know is that the computer, which notes the exact time the product was returned, told them that you had a late fee. And computers are more reliable.
Old 04-07-01, 02:16 AM
  #42  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: the ATL
Posts: 1,253
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try my method. Hand the movie to a live clerk and demand to WATCH him scan it back into the system.

I've implemented this annoying routine ever since they accused me of not returning a video for over 30 days and threatened to charge my cc. The movie was on their shelf, they had just neglected to scan it back into the system. I know b/c the place had only one letterbox edition of this movie. The manager finally graciously agreed to remove the charges JUST THIS ONCE.

I also got notice later of an overdue Playstation game and another cc charge threat... I don't even own a Playstation and certainly wouldn't be checking out games for it, but try telling Blockbuster that!

Gotta love http://ihateblockbuster.com/

and apparently the employees hate the customers even more... which is what the site below is dedicated to... with wonderfully insightful thoughts from an employee such as:

"---I hate adults who come in and immediately need to use the restroom. If you came from home, go before you leave. If you've been on some sort of road trip, why are you coming straight to a video store without going home first? I can understand when little kids need to go, but adults need to learn some control."

http://members.nbci.com/bbsucks/annoy.html

[Edited by QuAcKeR on 04-07-01 at 01:00 AM]
Old 04-07-01, 09:07 AM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mars
Posts: 732
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The other thing that I recommend besides actually handing it to an employee is to rewind the tape before droping it into the box.

An employee could take the tape out of the box and see that it's not rewound, then put it in the tape rewinder and forget to check it in when they take it out of the rewinder.
Old 04-07-01, 09:53 AM
  #44  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Shermer, IL
Posts: 706
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by QuAcKeR
I've implemented this annoying routine ever since they accused me of not returning a video for over 30 days and threatened to charge my cc. The movie was on their shelf, they had just neglected to scan it back into the system. I know b/c the place had only one letterbox edition of this movie. The manager finally graciously agreed to remove the charges JUST THIS ONCE.
???Why didn't you take the movie up to the counter and say,"This was on your shelf, I returned it." Then they would scan it in, see their mistake and you have no problem. It then becomes their problem as it seems it was. Easy solution.
Old 04-07-01, 07:26 PM
  #45  
Admin Emeritus
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Texas, our Texas! All hail the mighty state!
Posts: 12,842
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by QuAcKeR

http://members.nbci.com/bbsucks/annoy.html

Ha! Gotta admit, it is funny to see us (Blockbuster customers) from the "other side of the counter."
Old 04-07-01, 09:33 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Duluth, GA, USA
Posts: 37,784
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I managed to rent a DVD for 30 days straight on that BB card as well. Never had a problem with returning the DVD on time since I just watched the DVD that night and returned it the next day.
Old 04-08-01, 10:56 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: the ATL
Posts: 1,253
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hippie:
I DID walk back there and take it off the shelf and show the manager. That's why I'm mad he STILL acted like he was doing me a favor!
Old 04-09-01, 03:27 PM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Shermer, IL
Posts: 706
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by QuAcKeR
Hippie:
I DID walk back there and take it off the shelf and show the manager. That's why I'm mad he STILL acted like he was doing me a favor!
What a freak. Not cutting on employees of Blockbuster, as I am one myself. But there is a reason why people are managers of Blockbusters and not brain surgeons.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.