Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Just got back from Best Buy...they wouldn't price match

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Just got back from Best Buy...they wouldn't price match

Old 03-08-01, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first and last trip to Best Buy!!!

After being a dedicated "online" only purchaser, i decided to try the B&M experience for the first time. BIG MISTAKE!!!
Went to my local best buy to pick up meet the parents.While i was there i decided too finally pick up the sopranos first season. The price for the sopranos was $79.99. I remembered seeing at BJ's, which is right next door for $64.99. So i get up to the register's, which buy the way had one cashier with about ten people waiting in line, and i asked the cashier if they would match BJ's price. She looked at me as if i were satan himself, paused and then told me she would call a manager. So i wait there for about ten minutes for a manager to show up. So i tell this manager about BJ's price of $64.99. She tells me we dont price-match BJ's because they are a wholesale club which charges a yearly fee to shop there. So , my response to her was, so you are gonna lose a $65 sale because i am a member of BJ's? She responded by saying we price match with circuit city only. So, i thanked her for her time, walked out the door, went next door and picked it up for $64.99. And also picked up meet the parents for $14.99!!!
Old 03-08-01, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Best Buy's policy makes sense to me.
Old 03-08-01, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd have to agree that this seems to make sense to me.

BJ's and Sam's Club would seem to be a different type of store so I can see why this would happen. Wish there as a BJ's around here. They seem to have pretty good prices. Last time I was ever in one was long before DVDs were even being produced.
Old 03-08-01, 06:42 AM

Re: My first and last trip to Best Buy!!!

Originally posted by chaz
She responded by saying we price match with circuit city only. So, i thanked her for her time, walked out the door, went next door and picked it up for $64.99. And also picked up meet the parents for $14.99!!!

Hmm. That's not true, I've forced them to pricematch Walmart, KMARt, and Target in the past. They may be able to claim that they don't have to match wholesale stores because they don't have ads..per se, but they'd have a hard time telling you that they don't match one of the other stores if you bring in the Sunday circular.
Old 03-08-01, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: My first and last trip to Best Buy!!!

Originally posted by goatboy
She responded by saying we price match with circuit city only. So, i thanked her for her time, walked out the door, went next door and picked it up for $64.99. And also picked up meet the parents for $14.99!!!

Hmm. That's not true, I've forced them to pricematch Walmart, KMARt, and Target in the past. They may be able to claim that they don't have to match wholesale stores because they don't have ads..per se, but they'd have a hard time telling you that they don't match one of the other stores if you bring in the Sunday circular.
Walmart, Kmart, and Target are NOT wholesale stores, they are just very big retail stores. But if you were really interested, you could go to Circuit City and get a pricematch there with BJ's or Sam's Club. Circuit City's website says that they do indeed pricematch those places.
Old 03-08-01, 08:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: My first and last trip to Best Buy!!!

Originally posted by huzefa
Originally posted by goatboy

Walmart, Kmart, and Target are NOT wholesale stores, they are just very big retail stores. But if you were really interested, you could go to Circuit City and get a pricematch there with BJ's or Sam's Club. Circuit City's website says that they do indeed pricematch those places.
I wasn't saying Target, Kmart and Walmart are wholesale stores, but that BB should match other retailers like Target, Walmart, and KMART, because they're regular retailers just like CC. sorry if my post wasn't clear enough
Old 03-08-01, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chaz, you aren't going to find much support here. Best Buy will not price match online (or catalog) stores, nor will they price match wholesale clubs. It makes sense to me.

If *I* were a manager of Best Buy I certainly woulnd't have made the price match for you either. You have to compare apples with apples, Best Buy and a Wholesale Club are two different types of stores.
Old 03-08-01, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BestBuy did the right thing.. BJs is not the same type of store. It is a wholesale club. BestBuy is a retail store as are Circuit City, Target, Walmart, Fry's, K Mart, etc.
Old 03-08-01, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to agree w/the majority. I wouldn't have priced matched either. I saw the n-64 bundled w/2 games at Sam's this past x-mas for a ridiculously low price. Well, BB, CC or any of the others stores including Wal-mart wouldn't price match because Sam's is a wholesaler. I understood where they all were coming from and I was just looking to see if they would do it.

Sometimes we as customers expect too much from retailers or hope that they will bend the rules "just this once." Seems to me by your statement that they won't mind losing your business as their one lane had a full line. That's how it goes.