Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Buy .com on their last leg??

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Buy .com on their last leg??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-01, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
NASDAQ just issued them a warning today saying, in layman’s terms "your stock is trading too low,($.347), bring it above $1 or you will be delisted."

My friend noticed that today he couldn’t access his account information, orders, etc.. In addition to his order never arriving

Could this all be attributable to them going under??
Old 03-07-01, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving

Moving to Store Forum.

--Heather
Moderator, DVD Talk & Reviews forums
Old 03-07-01, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CPA-ESQ.
NASDAQ just issued them a warning today saying, in layman’s terms "your stock is trading too low,($.347), bring it above $1 or you will be delisted."

My friend noticed that today he couldn’t access his account information, orders, etc.. In addition to his order never arriving

That's very interesting........
Old 03-07-01, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just accessed my account, I got a shipment from them Monday and was notified that Hitchcocks were shipped on Monday. I'm sure they're not in the best shape but they're still doing OK by me.

Editing to report that I got my Hitchcocks today that were mailed Monday.

[Edited by movielib on 03-07-01 at 05:24 PM]
Old 03-07-01, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got all my Hitchcocks today so someone's still working over there.
Old 03-07-01, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They'll do the old trick of a 4-1 stock split to up it over a $1.00. It usually doesnt work and the stock inevitably falls below the $1.00 mark again. Eventually they get de-listed and go out of business.

Sniff sniff sad day
Old 03-07-01, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They reckon they're not going under. We all reckon they are. Has anyone got any solid info?
Old 03-07-01, 05:49 PM

Aren't they one of the more popular e-tailers?
Old 03-07-01, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my 5, A. Hitchcock titles I pre-ordered on Tuesday, the release date. I cant complain this time. but at this point I dont have have any other orders with them.

When a stock goes way below its IPO, its in serious trouble and any thing under 1.00 really has no chance. IMHO.....
Old 03-07-01, 07:37 PM

I really miss those 10 of 30 for "new" customers.
Old 03-07-01, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CPA-ESQ.

Hmmm...that would explain all the trouble they're having with PGA regarding the Buy.com Tour.
Old 03-08-01, 07:54 AM

They should go out of business just for having the worst search engine of any online store

All kidding aside, I thought they were an Amazon-sized competetor?

What did they do wrong? Ship on time?
Old 03-09-01, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Fhrx
They reckon they're not going under. We all reckon they are. Has anyone got any solid info?

That reminds me. I should be getting "Sling Blade" from them today.....
Old 03-09-01, 03:48 PM

Strangely, I actually think they've gotten even better lately. They've been able to cancel a couple of titles that I ordered this week (usually they are almost never able to cancel orders, even weeks in advance) and everything still is definitely coming on time. It would really be a shame if they went under because I think they're a wonderful store.
Old 03-09-01, 06:16 PM

They'd easily be the best e-tailer if it wasn't for their terrible search engine and complete unability to tell if you are getting the right order. Can someone tell me why there are TWO Crow: SE for preorder. They have the same date, different prices, one called 'Crow' and the other 'Crow (Collector's Edition).
Old 03-11-01, 02:06 PM

What hurt them is what got me started using them in the first place, over 2 years ago. All dvd's with a list price of $30 or less were $14.99 with low shipping added. When they raised their prices they were still good because of coupons and price matches.
They got bad when the REALLY raised their prices, raised their shipping and limited their price matches to a handful of competitors.
Old 03-11-01, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What people have to remember that buy.com going "bad" is them actually trying to turn a profit. I hope no one thinks they actually made any money off selling DVDs for $14.99 with $10 off $30 coupons and free shipping tossed in to the fray.

Then again I just got my last DVD order from them and I doubt I'll be shopping there any more..
Old 03-11-01, 05:56 PM

They just had a huge "Going out of business" sale here in Dallas this weekend. I would have posted about it, but unfortunately was out of town. Sounded like there were going to be some great prices too...

Bo.
Old 03-11-01, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BoBoish,

Did you hear of this sale from an radio ad. If it was I fell for that to near Washington D.C. a month or so ago. I didnt go to it but I posted it hear and I was informed it was some other place that goes by some other name but sounds like Buy.com because they say it real weird unless you listen real closely to the commercial. I was told its really a flea market and has nothing to do with Buy.com.
Old 03-11-01, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

considering that i doubt that buy.com would have a "going out of business" sale just in Dallas, i have a feeling BoBoish might be a little off.. (of course, maybe i'm wrong..)
-di doctor-
Old 03-12-01, 09:18 PM

I just heard it on the radio as I was leaving town "buy.com going out of business and liquidating it's two-million dollar inventory - computers, games, blah, blah, blah."

Anyway, I didn't have a chance to check it out. I know I have bought some computer stuff from them in the past and it shipped from here in Dallas. I suppose they have some stuff here that they might be getting rid of.

Bo.
Old 03-13-01, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I checked my Visa on-line this morning and I had two charges from Buy.com for 106.03 on 3/7 and 3/8 from my last order with them. I sent an email this morning but then after I got home today I thought I better call. It was real fast and the lady seemed nice. She checked and said there were 2 charges for 106.03 and it would be corrected in 3-5 days. I will wait 5 days and see.I hope they get it corrected before....