Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Online stores not getting product??

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Online stores not getting product??

Old 02-25-01, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something that I have noticed of late..

Why does it seem that many online DVD stores are getting their product for shipment to customers after B&M stores?

I have notied this happening with a number of online stores since the first of last year (2000) and it seems to be getting worse since the first of this year (2001).

Are a number of these stores on the verge of going under due to credit troubles so the studios are not shipping product to them in a timely manor?

It use to be that you would almost always count on receiving 'NEW RELEASES' a day or two before the street date when ordered online.

But my last three or four preorders have shown up at my door ten days after the street date.... and costing me more than 'IF' I had waited for local BEST BUY to have them on "RELEASE WEEK" sale.

--David

Old 02-25-01, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm... I'm still waiting for my Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 #4 DVD from 800.com. It is still listed as vendor backorder, even though the street date was 2/13.
Old 02-25-01, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DEC29111
Why does it seem that many online DVD stores are getting their product for shipment to customers after B&M stores?

I have notied this happening with a number of online stores since the first of last year (2000) and it seems to be getting worse since the first of this year (2001).

Are a number of these stores on the verge of going under due to credit troubles so the studios are not shipping product to them in a timely manor?
Gotta agree here. My most recent culprit was buy.com. I placed a $150+ order (to use their $30 coupon), and it took over a month for them to fill it completely. The 2 items taking the longest were both new titles (CUTTING EDGE and UNTOUCHABLES) that they should have had on hand easily.

What really kills me is that the status of those items on their site went back and forth from "On Order" to "Ships in 24-48 hours" 2 or 3 times before my copies were sent. The only way that the changing status makes sense to me is if they got some copies, put them up for sale, and filled new orders before looking to see if they had any standing backorders. Great way to treat your customers.

-Dave