DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Express.com Done! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/84485-express-com-done.html)

majortom 02-24-01 09:48 PM

Note: Please take this for what it is worth because I am not disclosing names.

A good friend of mine is a sales rep for a studio. He said he called express.com on Friday (2/23) to push a new release. The following is an exact quote from the express.com purchasing agent (female):

"We are not buying anymore product. It is over and my resumes have been sent out."

This would explain why they are so drastically out of stock of product. What scares me is they are taking orders for out of stock product.

Take this for face value considering I am not mentioning names. The only reason I posted it was to warn the dvd talk community.

Heat 02-24-01 11:38 PM

Hmm... I wasn't planning on ordering from them anytime soon since they are always out of stock of the things I want.

Any corroboration?

BigDan 02-24-01 11:43 PM

I didn't order from them anymore because I had a sort-of bad experience with them (which didn't end up being their fault. The FedEx girl delivered my DVDs to the wrong apartment, didn't get the required signature and couldn't remember which apartment it was she delivered the package to. But Express.com could've handled it better. I had to call them five or six times to get the refund properly credited).

At any rate, it seems pretty shady to keep taking orders they have no intention of filling. Even if they aren't charging credit cards for the merchandise, they're still wasting people's time.

huzefa 02-24-01 11:48 PM

Damn, I had Do the Right Thing: Criterion on preorder with them along with Spinal Tap SE and they both haven't shipped out. According to their CSR's, DTRT: CC hasn't even come into their warehouse yet. The DVD came out last week!

djones6746 02-25-01 10:36 AM

I have not ordered from Express since last spring....

felcher 02-25-01 12:18 PM

the worst thing that company did was merge with a failing gamecave. maybe they had to do this, i don't know the whole story so i can't say......i think i'm correct in stating that the members that resell wish that they can expect a company to be there so as to make a couple bucks at worst. http://www.express.com was reliable before the merge. what is the status of http://www.cdnow.com cos i haven't heard they are having money problems. http://www.buy.com has refused to cancel a special order that a customer ordered. have any of you had problems recently with buy.com. http://www.closeoutvideo.com has a 10 off 50.00 for new guests. i wish brad good luck and wish all my providers well cos a need every one of them....

djones6746 02-25-01 01:18 PM


Originally posted by felcher
the worst thing that company did was merge with a failing gamecave. maybe they had to do this, i don't know the whole story so i can't say......i think i'm correct in stating that the members that resell wish that they can expect a company to be there so as to make a couple bucks at worst. http://www.express.com was reliable before the merge. what is the status of http://www.cdnow.com cos i haven't heard they are having money problems. http://www.buy.com has refused to cancel a special order that a customer ordered. have any of you had problems recently with buy.com. http://www.closeoutvideo.com has a 10 off 50.00 for new guests. i wish brad good luck and wish all my providers well cos a need every one of them....

You are so right about the Gamecave deal....Gamecave was going to fail anyway which is why they merged together with Express!!! Express was a very good company prior to this merger.....they lost my business shortly after the merger!!! I had spent $100+ there monthly without the use of coupons etc......I think they lost too many regular customers!!! :(

Fergy 02-25-01 09:19 PM

I find the originator's claims more than suspect. It seems he is either a competitor of express or wishes to see them done harm. "I'm sending out my resumes." What a crock. No one would be putting this information out like that. Unless you have more specific info, keep said unsubstantiated rumors to yourself.

jellis 02-25-01 10:11 PM

Well, I am a purchaser and I have a couple of good relationships with some of our suppliers - if I was through, I would definetly tell them that. I have talked to the same people for the past 5-6 years....so it is not completely off base.

majortom 02-26-01 07:21 AM


Originally posted by Fergy
I find the originator's claims more than suspect. It seems he is either a competitor of express or wishes to see them done harm. "I'm sending out my resumes." What a crock. No one would be putting this information out like that. Unless you have more specific info, keep said unsubstantiated rumors to yourself.
I will be the first to admit that this is a rumor. But I stated two times for everyone to take this for what it is worth. I could really care less about the "I'm sending out my resumes." statement. What I am worried about is the fact that express.com has stopped ordering product and they are still taking orders for out of stock items. I really do hope this is just a rumor or misunderstanding because express.com has always been one of my top dvd retailers. But if it is true and I feel my sources are valid, I am going to warn people. I guess we will all find out this week weather or not all this is true.


Fhrx 02-27-01 06:20 PM

So at the end of the day, has anyone got any solid info?

hueynewborn 02-27-01 06:50 PM

just look at the site to find your answer...they haven't gotten a new release in weeks, the front page is spotlighting such "hot" titles as "wall street" & "americanbeauty" -- they obviously are just trying to sell off the stock they have...they are OVER.

dave955 02-27-01 11:00 PM


Originally posted by hueynewborn
just look at the site to find your answer...they haven't gotten a new release in weeks, the front page is spotlighting such "hot" titles as "wall street" & "americanbeauty" -- they obviously are just trying to sell off the stock they have...they are OVER.
FATALITY

(Sorry, too much MK...)

Neitzl 02-28-01 02:37 PM

I just received this as a response to my asking
them whether they will be getting any new orders
out.

"Dear EXPRESS.COM Customer,

Thank you for contacting us. We are experiencing delays from the vendor in delivering products to us on time. We realize that this delay seriously affects our customers who are accustomed to our prompt processing and shipping of their orders. This is as upsetting to us as much as it is to you.

The delay in product is a temporary situation, and we expect to have product delivered to us very soon. We are working very hard to provide our customers with the service that they have come to expect from us.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this delay may have caused you, and thank you for your patience with us.


Sincerely,

Max Kovins
http://www.express.com"

Lets hope they get their act together, cuz I really do
like them

Neitzl

hueynewborn 02-28-01 05:04 PM

the only reason a vendor would delay is cuz express ain't paying the bills...as simple as that...it's nice to be optimistic, but if they're not paying the bills now, they're unlikely to find the money next week...

darkside 03-01-01 07:26 AM

I placed 4 seperate Video game orders and none were ever filled. I finally cancelled them and gave up.

exm 03-01-01 08:58 AM

Well... Wether you like Express or not (I use to order but I stopped a while ago after orders going from pre-order to backorder) this type of Express-bashing is unacceptable. I believer that majortom has been told that particular story but I think that his source is full of s**t.

huzefa 03-01-01 10:11 AM


Originally posted by exm
Well... Wether you like Express or not (I use to order but I stopped a while ago after orders going from pre-order to backorder) this type of Express-bashing is unacceptable. I believer that majortom has been told that particular story but I think that his source is full of s**t.
I'll express-bash all I want to, you want to know why? Because I am a dissatisfied customer.

J.F.SEBASTION 03-01-01 02:27 PM

hmmmmm....

cOULD THIS POSSIBLY EXPLAIN WHY 3 major releases I ordered are still out of stock & not in yet after 3 weeks?????

It's looing like a pretty good explaination.

Granted, their service has gone downhill, but they were ok in the early days.

kahuna 03-01-01 02:48 PM

Glad I stopped buying from them almost a year ago, just did not need the headaches anymore.

<b>Kahuna</b> :cool:

hueynewborn 03-01-01 06:56 PM

what is unacceptable? They are getting no new stock, and their shelves are simply emptying...unless there's a big happy surprise waiting, i'd think this thread is valuable in letting people not to order or preorder from an establishment that is not filling orders or even getting stock in....

huzefa 03-01-01 07:00 PM

I have a $50 credit at express that I used to order 2 dvd's. One of them wasn't in stock, so they wouldn't ship the other one. But now the other one is out of stock and the first one is and they STILL won't ship my order. I hate these morons. Somebody want to give a suggestion for a DVD to get for around $50 that's in stock? I've looked on dvdpricesearch and the prices aren't that good.

exm 03-02-01 02:52 AM


Originally posted by hueynewborn
i'd think this thread is valuable in letting people not to order or preorder from an establishment that is not filling orders or even getting stock in....
That's true if the source is correct. What if I start a thread like 'I've been told by a friend who used to work for Amazon that they will go out of business next month?'.

IMO - even if you're an unsatisfied customer (like me, don't forget that!) - these type of threads are only valid if they're based on a checkable source (for example, a posting on a financial site).

DEC29111 03-02-01 07:26 AM

But.....
 
Mark -

When this thread first showed up I emailed "Express.Com" a link to the thread.

- No Reply - from Express.Com

A few days later I emailed them about a pre-order that all the other online stores had in stock asking them when they thought that they might be receiving the product and the reply that I got in "short" told me to go the web site and cancel my current order and order else where..

Why would a company be telling customers to order else where?

--David

hueynewborn 03-02-01 08:29 AM

the difference between this and the "amazon" scenario presented is that the amazon scenario indeed doesn't hold water--you go to the site, they have items in stock! The point is, I read in another thread someone preordering "THe Rock CC" from Express, and you know what? He's never going to get it...EXPRESS'S SITE IS THE EVIDENCE, not any "financial statement"....It's like seeing a body riddled with bullet holes, blood pouring over the ground, and then saying "let's wait for the ME to figure out if this guy is dead or not" -- there is a certain logic to it, but if the victim owed me 50 bucks (or 3 preordered DVDs) I wouldn't hold my breath! :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.