Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

www.rentmydvd.com .. Anyone tried it?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

www.rentmydvd.com .. Anyone tried it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-01, 03:40 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They have a plan similar to netflix. You can keep 2,4, or 10 DVDs at once. They have multiple shipping points (NY and CA) with plans to expand to several more. Sign up before 2/28 as a non-membership customer and rent one get one free for a month.
Old 02-08-01, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd love for them to be great because of all the problems people are having with netflix.

I checked out their site and entered in some director's name and film titles to do a quick comparisson.

Netflix has more available titles for John Frankenheimer, John Sturges and Orson Welles. Rentmydvd.com has many films under these names that aren't on DVD yet.

Interestingly, Welle's Citizen Kane is listed as "out" as opposed to "not available" on their site.

AND Star Wars - Episode One is also listed as "out" as opposed to "not available".

I wonder if rentmydvd.com uses those films and many, many others to inflate the appreance of having a large stock.

But I hope other people report their experiences.
Old 02-10-01, 12:28 PM

I just signed up for the 2 dvd plan to try out their service. So far the sight is well layed out and some titles such as Me, Myself and Irene and Gone in 60 Seconds were in stock unlike Netflix. I will send a update after I have received my discs.

Old 02-10-01, 12:41 PM
Cool New Member

They shipped two discs to me on Tuesday from NY, and I have yet to receive them in Virginia. Not too good so far.
Old 02-10-01, 04:36 PM

Hmmmm...what about multi-disc sets?

Thanks for the tip, Pectate. I just checked out some titles, and noticed they count multi-disc sets as single discs. If this is the case, it means the Criterion Brazil set would cost me $10.50 to rent -- and that's *IF* all three discs are in stock. Ugh.

This is a major turn-off in my estimation, and I hope they address it right away. Other than that, this might be a good alternative to Netfux.

jriems
Old 02-13-01, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have used them for single rentals..no plan..once they sent me discs late but after i e-mailed them they extended my viewing time..
Old 02-13-01, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 391 Likes on 280 Posts
Re: Hmmmm...what about multi-disc sets?

Originally posted by jriems
Netfux.

I really like that, never seen it before and now I'm surprised I haven't seen it before.
Old 02-15-01, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Two things:

A. Netflix now does the exact same thing with multi-disc sets that RentMyDVD.com does, so that issue is a wash.

B. I joined RMD under the four-title at once plan just about 10 days ago. So far, so good. The first batch of titles actually got to me in one day (shipped on Saturday, arrived on Monday) from New York to Maryland. The most recent batch took three mailing days to get here.
They do not allow you to mark titles delayed (i.e. check them in) like Netflix. However, with the improved shipping times, I suspect I'll get just as many titles as I do from Netflix. I am currently running both programs but will drop one or the other next month, depending on which one appears to be better (been a Netflix member since 3/2000).

Old 02-15-01, 11:14 AM
Cool New Member

JustinS, their customer service folks informed me they plan to build "delayed in mail" functionality into their site. Until that time, you can E-Mail them when a return is delayed, and they will release your next title. So far I have been impressed with their customer service. They respond to E-Mails within an hour. We'll see how that changes when (if) they build up a customer base. I too plan to use RMD and Netflix for a month to see which one performs best.
Old 02-15-01, 09:33 PM

Not Sure

I am not sure witch one to go to.. I cleard out my queue with netflix and I plan to cancel before March this year, but is RMD really that good? Please Reply!!

Thanks
Old 02-16-01, 12:11 AM

Netfux...Buh-Bye!

I joined rentmydvd.com last week, and canceled my Netfux account today. Here's hoping my final 3 discs make it back to them by the year 3000!

Signed up for the 2 disc plan, and my first two shipped 2/12. Haven't received them as of today (2/15) but I'm in Florida, so that doesn't surprise me. Hopefully they'll get here for the weekend.

Anyway, I did not realize that Netfux now counts multiple discs as singles. One of the last rentals I got was The Prisoner Volume 2 which contained two discs, so I don't know when they changed their policy on that. Oh, well, guess it's moot now! Later, Netfux!

jriems
Old 02-16-01, 07:40 AM

SaaaaaWeeeeeet!!!

So as soon as I ship them back this last movie they sent me it is good bye Netfux!!!

I have had it with them.
Old 02-16-01, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just signed up and found custermer service rep very nice. He told me that they are revamping their web site. Right now, the site isn't great to nativage through. He told me that they will change their movie listings from just "in" and "out" to six other catagories. This way you know if they carry the disk or not etc.

Right now, netflix does have a much deeper selection of films.

They sent my films in two. Did this happen to anyone else? I kinda prefer one film per envelope this way I can retrun them faster.
Old 02-16-01, 02:38 PM
Cool New Member

Kube, I've asked them about sending the DVDs out one at a time. The initial shipment is sent in one mailer. At any time you can E-Mail them to request an additional mailer (or more depending on your plan).
Old 02-16-01, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pectate,

Thanks. That's good to know.
Old 02-16-01, 05:51 PM
Roo

I ordered a couple of DVDs from them a week ago. They took a while to get here (5 days), but they marked them as returned three days after I sent them back. And this is from Tennessee to California. Not sure why they didn't send them from the NY store.

Anyway, it was a pretty good experience except for one thing: they put the DVDs in clear plastic cases that stick to the discs. It was a bit of a struggle to get them out, but nothing like the struggle of dealing with NetFlix.
Old 02-16-01, 06:34 PM

Sweet Information

This is all great information.. Thanks everyone. I will be joining RMD on either tue or wed.. I just want to make sure netfux doesn't screw me anymore first.

Laters...
Old 02-16-01, 10:23 PM

The new Netfux moniker...

I'm pleased and humbled more and more folks are turning to the Netfux moniker I began (at least I *think* I started it). Anyway, it's just way too fun to type it, and it sums up their service nicely...

jriems
P.S. Got my first 2 discs from RMDvd today. Looking forward to a good experience with them!
Old 02-16-01, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Re: Netfux...Buh-Bye!

Originally posted by jriems
Anyway, I did not realize that Netfux now counts multiple discs as singles. One of the last rentals I got was The Prisoner Volume 2 which contained two discs, so I don't know when they changed their policy on that. Oh, well, guess it's moot now! Later, Netfux!
jriems-

This change is very recent indeed. I think it was the middle of last week I got an email from Netflix informing me of the change and letting me know that Vietnam: The 10,000 Day War in my queue had now been split to two entries in my queue. They probably only sent the email out to people that had a multi-disc title effected by the change in their queue at the time of the change.

Ironically, it was my inability to rent Vietnam... even after being in my queue for several months that proved to be one of the large factors in giving RMD a try.
Old 02-17-01, 12:47 PM

Bye Bye

I am just glad that I will be done with them by the end of next week. Has anyone been charged MSRP for discs that they mailed back and netfux says they haven't recived?
Old 02-17-01, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a TINY, TINY complaint but I dislike rentmydvd's mailers. They're kinda tricky to get open. This is not a big deal by any stretch of the imagiation.

Re: The doubling of disks per mailing. It does keep their costs down and I do understand their impulse. The stamps on the mailers are 55cents. So, they could save a $2 or $3 dollars per customer per month (by doubling up). This might allow them to send out films quicker (instead of saving money by NOT sending them back (a la netflix).

And is it true that rentmydvd does not have a "delay" feature on their site?
Old 02-17-01, 07:00 PM

Well.. in your opinion would you say that either netflix or RMD is better? Also,

RMD said that they plan to add a delay feature to their site.. Just a matter of time I guess.

I think I shall still quit Netflix and go with RMD.

Old 02-18-01, 08:05 PM

When does RMD start your 7 day rental period? Is it 4 days after you place your order as I would assume since they claim to be able to get your movies to you within this amount of time? Couldn't find the answer to this question on there site.
Old 02-18-01, 08:32 PM

I am not sure.. But if you email their customer service department I am sure they would be glad to tell you..
Old 02-21-01, 09:02 AM
Cool New Member

Update: I signed up for membership on Friday, and received my first shipment of discs on Tuesday. Who knows, maybe they would have come Monday if there was mail delivery. They were shipped from NJ to VA.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.