Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Netflix: prices going up, service going down

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Netflix: prices going up, service going down

Old 02-03-01, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is anyone else pissed at Netflix? I must have been one of the very first customers and I've seen their service go down the tubes yet they keep raising prices. In my queue all 23 movies that have been released are out of stock. 0 for 23! Anf this isn't unusual now, some films have been in my queue for more than a month. When the film is finally "released to ship" it can stay in that limbo for days on end. I think all this is a scam to prevent people from renting too much - a way to shave days off each month. Just to look at my queue pisses me off - then they raise prices again this week. I love getting the films in the mail but if this continues I'll quit on principal. Does anyone else feel the same?
Old 02-03-01, 10:14 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah. As much of a Netflix fan as I've been the last two years, I'm pretty fed up with them too. Fed up enough where I poked around the CA Attorney General's website a bit this afternoon. They're jabbing me for a few bucks here and there and when I think about tens of thousands of customers being jabbed it seems like a situation begging for an outside remedy.
Old 02-03-01, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, two of my declared delayed discs have not been checked in for a week and a half.
Old 02-05-01, 12:13 AM

Get this: I've currently got two declared delayed's out that I mailed back two weeks ago, AND I just declared two others lost that should have gotten to me two weeks ago. This is by far the worst it has every been for me, so I emptied my queue and am hoping these turn up in the next few days so I can cancel and bail from this sinking ship.

Anyone else experiencing these same problems over the last month?

jriems
Old 02-05-01, 10:56 AM

I have been renting from them now for just over 2 years. The service USED to be great. I live on the east coast and used to get my movies within 2-3 days of shipping and had them checked back n within 2-4 days of shipping them back. Ever since they went to the "keep the movie as long as you want" instead of 1 week, 90% or more of my list is always "Out Of Stock". They have raised prices twice in that time plus added sales tax. Now they hold discs in "Released To Ship" limbo for days at a time and routinely take 10 days or more to check in titles I mail back to them. That means where I used to be able to turn titles around in about 1 weeks time (from them shipping to me and checking them back in) it now routinely takes 2-3 weeks. I will definitely be quitting before the next billing period.

------------------
http://welcome.to/GodzillaMonsterMusic
Old 02-05-01, 01:06 PM

I've been with them three months and I'm just experiencing my first "released to ship" delay right now. I'll have to wait and see if it turns into a trend.

I have to admit that my service has actually been a little FASTER lately, since I upgraded to 8-movies-out last month. I've always figured that I'd remain a member until I'd rented a certain number of movies, rather than a certain length of time. By that reasoning, I actually think I'm saving money in the long run by paying the 39.95 per month for the time being. My turn around time is pretty fast and at least now I've always got at least 3 movies on hand.

However, I can't see myself sticking with them too much longer, either. The out-of-stocks in my queue mock me every day, and even at their fastest shipping, it would still be cheaper renting elsewhere. So once I've gotten all the hard-to-find-elsewhere stuff out of the way....
Old 02-05-01, 02:31 PM

I am still quite happy with them. Yes, they aren't as good of a deal as they used to be, but I can still rent 6-8 movies a month from them for $20, which is a better deal than I get from Blockbuster, and I get an infinitely better selection and the disks are of better quality (half the disks I rent from B&M stores lock up on me).

I haven't experienced a "released to ship" bug yet. Also, I do tend to rent films that are usually in stock, however, the top ten films in my queue are all "out of stock", and one of them still gets mailed to me about half the time.
Old 02-06-01, 04:01 PM
Cool New Member

I used to rave about Netflix. Now I'm really feeling burned. Suddenly my queue shows me getting only 3 movies out at a time? When did they change the terms of my account????

I also feel they are intentionally slowing down the process. For the first time in a long time, I don't have a single Netflix movie on hand. And I'm not one watching a movie every night either. Maybe 2 on the weekend, if that.

Add the fact that 9 of the 11 movies in my queue are out of stock and have been for weeks. I will be sad to see Netflix go. I don't want to go back to the mob scene at Blockbuster. But Netflix has really been going down the drain the past few months. Probably due to all the new DVD player owners from Christmas.

Are there any comparable options to Netflix?
Old 02-06-01, 06:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live right up the street from them so my turnaround is really good (barring the "released to ship" debacle that happens 4 out of 5 times), but guess what. I can no longer find a movie that I'm excited to see that's in stock (I'm not just talkin' new releases, nothing is in stock anymore). I'm gonna let it go for one more month (one last more expensive month) and do the math. If my movies work out to be more than $2.50 apiece I'm out. I'm also out if I have to settle for the MOST obscure releases just so that they're in stock.

In regard to their "released to ship" scam, here's a cool story that actually happened:
I would gripe at their customer service every time that this lasted 3 or 4 days (it seemed like it got the movies shipped finally). The last time I did, I explained that this was "effectively cutting the amount of movies that I could have out per month to ½ to ¼ through no fault of myself or the postal service" and that "a ½ to ¾ discount would be decent". I just said this to rile them because it was getting old having to compose an email every time I'd turned my movies back in and got sick of seeing the next four movies sitting on that list for 4 days. Next thing I knew, the movies shipped and I got a 50% discount for that month. I'll bet if everyone composed similar emails every time they were stuck in "released to ship" limbo, they'd either quit the scam or actually hire some non-imaginary IT guys to fix the problem.

These guys obviously weren't prepared for any growth of their company, and don't seem like they want it now that it's happening. They're probably trying to liquidate their holdings on Ebay before declaring bankruptcy (that's why nothing's really in stock).

It did seem too good to be true, I guess it was.
Old 02-07-01, 12:55 AM

Kudama: bingo.

Think about all those damaged discs, kept as lost discs, postage, and constant inventory changing. No way will this company be in business in the forseeable future. Either they won't make enough money or they will charge too much to compensate and lose their customer base.

Good things always come to an end, and it did.
Old 02-07-01, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I finally had to declare my first two discs lost in the mail because they still had not been checked in after 2 weeks after two discs I mailed in afterwards had already been processed.

Now the question is, do these titles eventually make it into the checked in listing or are they lost in that limbo they call a warehouse forever?

Also it's pretty amusing to note on that javascript pop-up window that they have the gall to imply that you should "send the discs back when you find them" as if this were never their problem.
Old 02-07-01, 05:31 AM

You guys are finally experiencing the things I was saying here about 4-5 months ago. As for them going under, it may or may not happen, but a few months back they pulled their filling for an IPO. Most of the time I see a company pull an IPO, it means their in financial trouble. That may be the reason, but who knows. I think it sucks to see a great idea fall so short, but only because of the company itself and not the idea. By the way for you people who are dreading going back to Big Blue (Blockbuster), they have that 19.95 a month for a rental every day. I went back to them and don't seem to have to many problems like I use to, you know scratched discs, not enough of one title and the selection has gotten a hell of alot better. It may just be the Blockbuster in my area. Anyway, never thought I would give props to Big Blue, but it seems my Blockbuster has gotten serious about the dvd market.
Old 02-07-01, 09:18 AM

Used to be a member as well and left some time ago. In case anyone's looking for an alternative, there's another online rental place worth checking out that's been around a while - dvdovernight.com - they don't have the monthly charge that netflix has and are pretty good about carrying just about everything.
Old 02-07-01, 11:13 PM

I can echo all the frustrations already posted here. In addition, and it may point to their troubles as a company, my last call to their customer service was disheartening to say the least, and I subsequently cancelled my membership.

The girl I spoke with indicated, and I quote, "we are having trouble now" and "we are getting a lot of calls about the out of stock problem". They know what is going on, which makes what they are doing that much worse.

I quit for a few different reasons. Like most of you, when I began over a year ago, things went really well. Then the first price increase hit and service declined. They put my account on hold 3 times because they couldnt get an auth on my credit card, which had plenty of credit available.

The worst infraction came recently. They again put my account on hold because my "lost disks" were up to four in their files. I received an email from their head of security who, in a side ways, backhanded way, made the accusation that I had stolen the discs and that if the suddenly "appeared" and I sent them back, they would release my account. I immediately called and they said there was a mistake and that my account did not yet qualify for the Gestapo tactics they employed. I then indicated to them that two of the discs on the lost list had eventually shown up and they failed to remove them from the lost list.

I pushed through the that incident, but when I got the email from the founder letting me know that my fee was increasing AGAIN, I called them. That is when I spoke to the person who clued me in to the bigger picture.

Also, for the final 5 weeks of membership, we ended up watching repeat movies and lower rated flicks because our queue was in a perpetual state of "Out of Stock".

Netflix is the fast becoming the last word in that ever present question:

"What ever happened to _________?"
Old 02-07-01, 11:33 PM
Cool New Member

Did anyone else get this plastic disc rack in the mail from Netflix? It seems like a company in such obvious trouble shouldn't be sending out pointless items like this. They could have kept the racks and bought some extra copies of the more popular movies, no?
Old 02-07-01, 11:53 PM

Just a follow-up to my previous post: The 2 discs I declared delayed on *January 17* FINALLY "arrived" today (2/7) -- over 3 weeks to get them checked in. The other two that I declared lost and received a stern automated reprimand for, never did reach me (I'm more sure than ever they never even shipped them). Ironically, before I got my queue completely cleared after reporting the two discs as lost, their automated system released a replacement disc for one of the lost discs, and that shipped in a matter of hours -- I received it 3 days later. Talk about running hot and cold...

So now I have 3 discs in my possession that need to go back to Netfux before I cancel my account. Should I put them all in an envelope and send them registered mail? Or should I do a return receipt request on the individual envelopes? The last thing I want is to cancel while they are en route back and be accused of stealing them. Whaddya think?

jriems
Old 02-08-01, 08:54 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by jriems
So now I have 3 discs in my possession that need to go back to Netfux before I cancel my account. Should I put them all in an envelope and send them registered mail? Or should I do a return receipt request on the individual envelopes? The last thing I want is to cancel while they are en route back and be accused of stealing them. Whaddya think?

jriems
I just cancelled my Netflix account yesterday and had the same concern -- that my returned disks would not show up within the 7 day window and that I would be charged MSRP. After cancelling I emailed them explaining that my returns have been taking an average of 10 days to 2 weeks to be logged in as received, so Netflix marked all my enroute disks as temporarily lost in the mail so I would not (hopefully) be charged.
Old 02-08-01, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I have nothing new to add except that I have been experiencing the same thing. Which is a shame because their service is a great idea, and they have all of the titles that my local stores don't even carry on VHS, much less DVD. I average about 10-14 days from the day I return them to the day they "receive" them - and we all know it doesn't take more than about 4 days for items to cross the entire country - from NYC to LA.
Old 02-08-01, 04:27 PM
Banned

I was thinking about how I don't want to start using DVD overnight because of the smaller selection and minimum of 75 cents per movie shipping and figured I'd gripe at netflix.com some more (to see what happens) before canceling my account. I realize that this only represents a big increase in expense because I live on the West Coast, but, hey, it's a big increase. If I played my cards right, I used to be able to pay under a dollar a rental.
I think that the theory of them intentionally using "released to ship" as a delay tactic is not too far off base, so I figured I'd say something. If we all complained (what's to lose) they might realize (and maybe even care) that this pisses people off. I encourage everyone to complain!

Here's what I said to 'em:

"Please look into my account being frozen. There has been some activity there, but my two current "released to ship" movies are going on two days now.
I did some math and with the "released to ship" problems that you are unable to fix, I'm getting less than 1/2 the movies per month than I can normally get. Combined with the price increase, I am paying just under 3 times as much per movie.
Is this "one two punch" an intentional maneuver on your part? (I ask this because usually software that cannot be fixed is replaced. You've had this "released to ship" problem since you've utilized that program (3 or 4 months?). It might be a good move to trash it and go back to your old operating system (which was relatively free of bugs).
Thanks for listening."...

(I actually didn't put in a mad face)
Old 02-09-01, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recently got an e-mail that said you could write to the owner and he would listen to your complaints, but I lost it. Does anyone know what that e-mail address was?
Old 02-09-01, 01:36 PM
Banned

Check out this reply that I got back from Netflix after complaining about my movies being frozen in "released to ship" hell:

" Thanks for your inquiry. I'm sorry to see that there was a delay in processing your shipment. Our records indicate that you have two movies in the Released to Ship Status. These movies did not ship in a timely manner due to non-receipt or damaged DVDs from previous customers.
However, we did not want to cancel these orders since we are still expecting more copies to arrive shortly. If you do not want to wait until we receive additional copies of these titles, you may notify us to cancel the processing of this movie at any time."

They're basically saying that their "software releases to ship" movies BEFORE they come back into stock. So now, apparently, they ship things arbitrarily and if it's not in stock, well your tough luck! That slot's frozen 'til someone returns it.

Yeah, I know I'm complaining the most, but I had to share this bit of lunatic lameness. I've never seen a company TRY so hard to lose business. Would they get in legal trouble if they just stopped accepting customers or WHAT???
Old 02-09-01, 09:43 PM

I'm glad everyone feels the same...I guess

"Released to ship" is an all out scam. Netflix does not have enough copies of each film. Period.They raise the prices, they change the rules and then they respond to the problems with lamest apologies imaginable."Virgin Suicides" has been number 1 in my queue since the day it was released. After it was "out of stock" for a month or more I wrote and complained. They responded about a week later laying the blame on their "supplier" and that it was out of their control. Hey Marc whats-your-name GO OUT AND BUY 10 COPIES!
The problem now is that there isn't anybody else online who has anything like Netflix's breadth of titles. Where else am I going to be able to rent "Chang" or "I Know Where I'm Going"? Sadly, I'm stuck with Netflix for a while, stuck with a second full time job - renting dvds from Netflix.
Old 02-10-01, 05:53 AM

I think that Netflix would better serve themselves if they instituted a 30day return policy as opposed to keep it how long you want it. This certainly has to do with their perpetual delay problem! That works better than raising the price 2x with 8 months.

David
Old 02-10-01, 06:04 PM

Unhappy Netflix Customers

I've been a Netflix user for over a year. The fact that I no longer have to go out for rentals is great. I understand that damaged/lost discs and postal delays are inevitable, but my question to everyone complaining:
If you're so unhappy, what's stopping you from canceling?

I'm amazed at how many people think Netflix is "out to get them." Do you really think they have that kind of time on their hands? Let's think logically about that one.

Old 02-10-01, 06:26 PM

I agree....Netflix sux....I cancelled.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.